Hate the sin or the sinner?

defcon

billwald said:
Romans 3:20 " Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin." Misinterpretation? I don't see it. Please explain.

Paul was wrong.

"Tried reading this section a few times, are you saying that Exodus through Deut. is a social contract?"

Read it several dozen times in a half dozen translations. Yes, it is a social contract.

"Lie? No - it wasn't a lie. To be righteous by the Law you could never break the Law - that was the standard."

Not the standard set by God in the Mosiac Covenant. If you were correct then there would be no sacrifices for inadvertant violations.
I don't even see the need in refuting this, you obviously see the Bible as something that can be "cut and pasted" at your will.
"Paul was wrong." :chuckle: Nice refutation - This is an utterly stupid position - you can't argue the Bible says something definitively if you do so by stating other parts of the Bible are false. You are not arguing Biblical perspectives but your own point of view and in doing so undermine your case entirely.

billwald

If Paul wrote something that contradicted Moses then Paul is wrong. Jesus demonstrated his faith in Moses as accuately transcribing God's words. Where did Jesus and Moses err? After all, the major 6dayer interpretation is based upon the assumption that Jesus cited Moses and therefore Moses was correct.

defcon

billwald said:
If Paul wrote something that contradicted Moses then Paul is wrong. Jesus demonstrated his faith in Moses as accuately transcribing God's words. Where did Jesus and Moses err? After all, the major 6dayer interpretation is based upon the assumption that Jesus cited Moses and therefore Moses was correct.
Goodness billwald, why bother? Your case is destroyed - what stops someone from saying Moses is wrong and Paul is right? The Bible can not to be taken in pieces, but as a whole with the understanding that all of it is God breathed. Your position is unbiblical. Why is mine not? Moses gave the Law but a lot of people assume since we were given commandments, we have the ability to keep them. In light of sound doctrine based out of the New Testament, we know that in our flesh we can't. To disregard part of the Bible is to disregard it all - your position is intolerable. All Scripture is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16). You are arguing biblical authority by disregarding biblical authority, therefore your argument is destroyed by your argument!

Last edited:

billwald

Common sense should tell you or anyone who has read it that Genesis through Deut constitutes a "doable" systematic theology but the NT fails unless every book of the OT is God's theology.

Chileice

A thread that had its share of rants but that also had its share of moments of wisdom and I nominate it for top 10.