Hate Crime

beanieboy

What is your thought on Hate Crime?

Most arguements seem to argue that it is a thought crime.
People say, "all crime is hate crime."
But someone snatching a purse is much different than a white supremist tying Byrd to the back of his truck and dragging him to death for 3 miles. They are usually much more violent, and usually meant to send a message.

If you murder someone in a cold, calculating way, you are charged with 1st degree murder, and have the harshest sentence.
If you kill someone in an emotional rage, then you receive 2nd degree murder charges, and more lenient sentences.
If you kill someone in your car, it's called manslaughter, and a lesser crime.
But all are murder.

Terrorism is both a crime for the damage done, but also for the fear that it creates (ie, the name "terror-ism")
It is meant to scare a population.

There was a time when KKK members were blowing up black churches to keep black people in their place. But it was meant to send a message to the black community at large, the same way that terrorist in NYC send terror to people in San Diego.

So, it Hate Crime valid?
Should Hate Crime be termed "terrorism"?
Or should it be done away with altogether?

billwald

The concept presumes the ability of the govt to read one's mind. On the other hand, it was Christianity that invented the concept of "thought crimes."

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it's pretty silly to refer to any crime as a "hate" crime. It's kind of redundant. Is there any crime committed that would be considered a "love" crime?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Poly said:
Is there any crime committed that would be considered a "love" crime?
The only ones I can think of are ones that shouldn't be crimes to begin with.

beanieboy

Poly said:
I think it's pretty silly to refer to any crime as a "hate" crime. It's kind of redundant. Is there any crime committed that would be considered a "love" crime?

As I clearly stated, killing someone depends on what the persons intent was.

!st Degree
2nd Degree
Manslaughter.

Are these not also "thought crimes"?

beanieboy

Poly said:

How is flying a plane into the WTC "terrorism" and not simply murder?

beanieboy

granite1010 said:
Hate crime's just another bogus idea spawned by political correctness.

Again, what's the difference between that, and charging someone with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree in a murder charge?

erinmarie

Originally Posted by Poly

Is there any crime committed that would be considered a "love" crime?
Originally Posted by Turbo
The only ones I can think of are ones that shouldn't be crimes to begin with.

You two just came up with the opening to a really cheesy Hall and Oates type song "Love Crime Baby Oh Yeah"....

beanieboy

erinmarie said:
You two just came up with the opening to a really cheesy Hall and Oates type song "Love Crime Baby Oh Yeah"....

You are sooooo getting bad rep points for putting that in my head :)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
erinmarie said:

What is this? "Erin Marie brings up gross songs of the eighties day"? Pretty in Pink was bad enough but now this one? That's just...just... A hate crime!!!

;)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't you...

...get me started. ;)

(What did you think I was going to say, Poly?)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh wait a minute, I brought up that first gross one didn't I? Well, I wouldn't have if you weren't pregnant and in pink. :D

But that last one is so bad, it's still should be a hate crime for bringing it up.

Granite

Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Again, what's the difference between that, and charging someone with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree in a murder charge?

For one, someone dies in this case, as opposed to a cross getting burned on a lawn (as an example).

For another, I think the distinction is made between intent and expression.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Don't you...

...get me started. ;)

(What did you think I was going to say, Poly?)

Ok, that goes beyond a hate crime. That's just shear....um.....let's see, what's a word worse than hate? Oh yeah, God tends to use the word "abhor" when He wants to really stress hate. So that should be considered an "Abhor crime"!

Lovejoy

Poly said:
Ok, that goes beyond a hate crime. That's just shear....um.....let's see, what's a word worse than hate? Oh yeah, God tends to use the word "abhor" when He wants to really stress hate. So that should be considered an "Abhor crime"!
A "cut off from covenant promise" crime! That would really stink!

Lovejoy

beanieboy said:
What is your thought on Hate Crime?

Most arguements seem to argue that it is a thought crime.
People say, "all crime is hate crime."
But someone snatching a purse is much different than a white supremist tying Byrd to the back of his truck and dragging him to death for 3 miles. They are usually much more violent, and usually meant to send a message.

If you murder someone in a cold, calculating way, you are charged with 1st degree murder, and have the harshest sentence.
If you kill someone in an emotional rage, then you receive 2nd degree murder charges, and more lenient sentences.
If you kill someone in your car, it's called manslaughter, and a lesser crime.
But all are murder.

Terrorism is both a crime for the damage done, but also for the fear that it creates (ie, the name "terror-ism")
It is meant to scare a population.

There was a time when KKK members were blowing up black churches to keep black people in their place. But it was meant to send a message to the black community at large, the same way that terrorist in NYC send terror to people in San Diego.

So, it Hate Crime valid?
Should Hate Crime be termed "terrorism"?
Or should it be done away with altogether?
"Hate crime" is a little bit of a misnomer, in that it does not refer to a hate for the victim directly. Hating your victim will not result in the charge of a hate crime (such as the murder of your wife's lover). You have to hate the whole concept of the group that your victim comes from (like "Jews"), and just happen to express it on this one individual. Killing your wife's lover assumes that the situation is now over, you killed the thing that you hated (nonsense, but that is how it works), while killing a single Jew will never satisfy a true bigot. In that, I can see (from a worldly perspective) why they would have more fear of the second situation, as, in theory, that person will never stop killing and will actively attempt to recruit others to his cause. However, I prefer using the same designations as they use for sex crimes, in that you give them a level based on their risk of re-offending. And then use them to clear landmines in SE Asia.

beanieboy

granite1010 said:
For one, someone dies in this case, as opposed to a cross getting burned on a lawn (as an example).

For another, I think the distinction is made between intent and expression.

But isn't intent a thought, and therefore a thought crime?

Byrd was dragged to death. They did so to become noteworthy to the Arian League.
He was attacked because he was black, and no other reason, but he wanted to express his disdain for African Americans. Unfortunately, it ended in death.

beanieboy

Lovejoy said:
"Hate crime" is a little bit of a misnomer, in that it does not refer to a hate for the victim directly. Hating your victim will not result in the charge of a hate crime (such as the murder of your wife's lover). You have to hate the whole concept of the group that your victim comes from (like "Jews"), and just happen to express it on this one individual. Killing your wife's lover assumes that the situation is now over, you killed the thing that you hated (nonsense, but that is how it works), while killing a single Jew will never satisfy a true bigot. In that, I can see (from a worldly perspective) why they would have more fear of the second situation, as, in theory, that person will never stop killing and will actively attempt to recruit others to his cause. However, I prefer using the same designations as they use for sex crimes, in that you give them a level based on their risk of re-offending. And then use them to clear landmines in SE Asia.

How would you present proof of a hate crime?