Golem

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Golem connection to A.I. (artificial intelligence) and the image of the beast in Revelation 13

Flesh-Golem-480x361.jpg

This is going to be one of those "off the beaten path" type threads, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Hebrew word "golem" shows up in Ps 139:16 as an unformed substance being formed from the earth.

Psalms 139:16 ESV
(16) Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Jewish folklore has several stories of Jewish mystics creating a golem, a manlike figure formed from inanimate material, such as clay, that came to life through a mystical ritual but had no spirit soul which could only come from God.
In other words, a 'souless' being.
The souless golem was to be a protector and servant of the Jewish people and would follow orders of his creator.
They did not have the ability to reason or problem solve, they just followed orders like a robot.
Legends tells of of Jews dealing in Jewish mysticism who did this.

The ritual that brought it to life was per ancient secret knowledge that was later written in the book called Sefer Yetsirah (Book of Formation).
Supposedly someone who mastered the secret knowledge could ritualistically sculpt a figure of a man out of clay, and then place the 3 Hebrews letters alef - mem - tav, (read right to left) ( אמת ), which is the Hebrew word for "truth" written or carved onto its forehead which activated it to "life".
To deactivate it the alef would be removed from it's forehead which left the remaining two letters which is the Hebrew word for "dead".
Some of the stories have the golem supplied with superhuman abilities along with amulets that supplied supernatural abilities such as being invisible at times and causing fire.

There have been movies made about golems being formed by Jews during times of persecution to protect them.
The most widely known story is probably the Golem of Prague.
What made this story one of the unique ones was that this giant man figure with incredible strength eventually did start reasoning.
He protected the Jewish neighborhood from those outsiders who came to harm and persecute them.
And while there was no protecting to be done he would be instructed to do chores in the synagogue and Jewish houses.
He would watch and listen to the sermons and activities of the Jewish people and began to realize that they were wrong to instruct him to do chores on the Sabbath day and rebelled when instructed to do so.
The Jewish mystic that created him then deactivated him, but the golem was so big that when he "died" he fell on the Jewish mystic and crushed him to death.
Legend is that the golem's lifeless body is still kept hidden just in case it ever has to be activated again.

You will find variations of the stories, but the interesting part of all this is that some have suggested that this same ancient ritual knowledge could be what is used to bring the image of the beast of Revelation 13 to life, but with a more modern spin on it and connected to modern technology of A.I. (artificial intelligence).
With all the talk going around about whether an A.I. could evolve into a conscience reasoning specimen makes this an intriguing concept.
And of course we also have movies of that happening to spark the imagination of it being possible.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A few theories have circulated about the deeper meaning of Gollum's name, but one of the most common ones is that the moniker is a nod to the word "golem." Tolkien was known for his love of language, and Hebrew was one of the many languages he had studied. The phrase can be found in Jewish and Christian folklore. A golem is an artificially-created being that is brought to life through supernatural means. This creature is typically intended to blindly serve its creator. It can be either villain or victim. All of this is reminiscent of Smeagol's transformation into Golum and his subsequent behavior toward and surrounding the One Ring.

It's never been confirmed, but given Tolkien's background as a devout Catholic, the name's religious undertones make perfect sense. His faith was so strong that it famously convinced his friend and fellow author C.S. Lewis to convert. There are no overt mentions of Christianity in The Lord of the Rings, but his religion was a constant source of inspiration and guidance in his life. It's no coincidence that the name and characteristics of Gollum so closely resemble that of a golem. The layered meaning behind his naming convention just goes to show that Christianity's fingerprint is all over Tolkien's work.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has also been suggested that Mary Shelly's story of Frankenstein was a spin on the golem legend.

Gary K

Banned
Golem connection to A.I. (artificial intelligence) and the image of the beast in Revelation 13

Flesh-Golem-480x361.jpg

This is going to be one of those "off the beaten path" type threads, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Hebrew word "golem" shows up in Ps 139:16 as an unformed substance being formed from the earth.

Psalms 139:16 ESV
(16) Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Jewish folklore has several stories of Jewish mystics creating a golem, a manlike figure formed from inanimate material, such as clay, that came to life through a mystical ritual but had no spirit soul which could only come from God.
In other words, a 'souless' being.
The souless golem was to be a protector and servant of the Jewish people and would follow orders of his creator.
They did not have the ability to reason or problem solve, they just followed orders like a robot.
Legends tells of of Jews dealing in Jewish mysticism who did this.

The ritual that brought it to life was per ancient secret knowledge that was later written in the book called Sefer Yetsirah (Book of Formation).
Supposedly someone who mastered the secret knowledge could ritualistically sculpt a figure of a man out of clay, and then place the 3 Hebrews letters alef - mem - tav, (read right to left) ( אמת ), which is the Hebrew word for "truth" written or carved onto its forehead which activated it to "life".
To deactivate it the alef would be removed from it's forehead which left the remaining two letters which is the Hebrew word for "dead".
Some of the stories have the golem supplied with superhuman abilities along with amulets that supplied supernatural abilities such as being invisible at times and causing fire.

There have been movies made about golems being formed by Jews during times of persecution to protect them.
The most widely known story is probably the Golem of Prague.
What made this story one of the unique ones was that this giant man figure with incredible strength eventually did start reasoning.
He protected the Jewish neighborhood from those outsiders who came to harm and persecute them.
And while there was no protecting to be done he would be instructed to do chores in the synagogue and Jewish houses.
He would watch and listen to the sermons and activities of the Jewish people and began to realize that they were wrong to instruct him to do chores on the Sabbath day and rebelled when instructed to do so.
The Jewish mystic that created him then deactivated him, but the golem was so big that when he "died" he fell on the Jewish mystic and crushed him to death.
Legend is that the golem's lifeless body is still kept hidden just in case it ever has to be activated again.

You will find variations of the stories, but the interesting part of all this is that some have suggested that this same ancient ritual knowledge could be what is used to bring the image of the beast of Revelation 13 to life, but with a more modern spin on it and connected to modern technology of A.I. (artificial intelligence).
With all the talk going around about whether an A.I. could evolve into a conscience reasoning specimen makes this an intriguing concept.
And of course we also have movies of that happening to spark the imagination of it being possible.
Those are some sick traditions.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Those are some sick traditions.
I liken the moral of the story to the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Or as the character in Jurasic Park said, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean it should be done."
Or to quote another saying ...... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

King Saul had the dead Samuel conjured up, but he wasn't suppose to do such a thing.
Eve had thought she had good intentions to eat the fruit because it would make her wiser than she was.
And the mystic Jew that gave life to the man of clay did so with good intentions of protecting his kinfolks from being persecuted unjustly.

So knowing that something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be done because you could unleash forces that cannot be controlled.

Unfortunately it is a popular fad these days (and MANY take it seriously) to pursue secret knowledge and dabble in seances, kabbalah, witchcraft, scientology, voodoo, gnostic magic, etc.
People are going to do it despite the warnings not to and God's creation will suffer the consequences.

But I do find it interesting that ancient secret knowledge might be what works on bringing the image of the beast in Revelation 13 to life.
It's going to happen somehow.

fzappa13

Gary K

Banned
Funny ... I read that passage in the Bible and you easily understand it intellectually but it takes on a whole different meaning when you actually do it. That phenomenon birthed yet another mini denomination within the body some time ago.
I fully agree. When we take part in it it's like Jesus told His disciples, ye are every whit clean. It's a symbolic new birth every time we partake of iy seriously.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Funny ... I read that passage in the Bible and you easily understand it intellectually but it takes on a whole different meaning when you actually do it. That phenomenon birthed yet another mini denomination within the body some time ago.
The Son of Man didn't come to be served, but to serve.
And He practiced that principle by washing the feet of others just as others had washed His feet.
It would do us all good to participate in the same practice.

Matthew 20:25-28 ESV​
(25) But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them.​
(26) It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,​
(27) and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,​
(28) even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”​