God's ability according to Calvinism

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
VanhoozerRocks said:
Mud-slinging and making classic reductionistic claims helps no one in the quest for theological accuracy.
Maybe not but it sure is fun!

So if we are going to talk predestination vs. free will, lets at least try to contribute something fresh to the debate.

Soli Deo Gloria
Uh... we have been adding "fresh" stuff to the debate on TOL for almost 10 years, where have you been?

Feel free to add something "fresh" whenever you are ready. :)

allsmiles

Knight said:
He was also a flaming racist.

So... where does that leave us?

That makes little to no difference in the discussion we're having right now Knight.

That's why I like to stick with God's word and not men's words, it's much more logical to just go straight to the source. :)

Have you read The Bondage of the Will Knight? How about something a little lighter, like The Sovereignty of God by Arthur Pink? You'll find that those who know what they're talking about in the doctrines refered to as Calvinism make a coherent case from one end of the bible to next supporting their theology.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
:chuckle:

I get the feeling that what most people around here know about Calvinism they've been taught by people who aren't Calvinists. I could be wrong in saying that, but I don't know until I ask.
Z man and JoBeth (I think that's her name)have taught me plenty about it, and I wouldn't want to be them. Oh, let's not leave out Samuel Lamerson:up:

allsmiles

Delmar said:
Z man and JoBeth (I think that's her name)have taught me plenty about it, and I wouldn't want to be them. Oh, let's not leave out Samuel Lamerson:up:

All right, awesome :thumb:

Have you read anything by definitive sources of authority on the subject such as Luther and Calvin? If you want to know about Calvinism it might help to actually go to Calvin.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
You'll find that those who know what they're talking about in the doctrines refered to as Calvinism make a coherent case from one end of the bible to next supporting their theology.
Great!

Maybe someone will (someday....) pop onto to TOL that can do a better job defending Calvinism than the ones we have had here in the last 10 years.

allsmiles

Knight said:
Well then, I guess you missed the point. :)

I guess so. Things go over people's heads because they were thrown too high, mind dumbing it down a little bit? I might not be the only person who missed it, someone else who's reading this thread might benefit by a bit of exposition on your part.

No, I haven't.

Thanks for asking.

Have you read The Sovereignty of God by Pink? Or anything by Boettner, or Calvin himself? Dan Steele and Curtis Thomas have a nice sized book called The Five Points of Calvinism which I read in a day when I was like 12.

drbrumley

allsmiles said:

Have you read anything by definitive sources of authority on the subject such as Luther and Calvin? If you want to know about Calvinism it might help to actually go to Calvin.
Just for bro. I will create a thread somtime soon dedicated to nothing but Calvin's book or Luther's book or both. Talk about definitive huh?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
I guess so. Things go over people's heads because they were thrown too high, mind dumbing it down a little bit? I might not be the only person who missed it, someone else who's reading this thread might benefit by a bit of exposition on your part.
You were giving Martin Luther credibility (on the subject of Calvinsim) because "got the ball rolling on the Protestant Reformation", I pointed out that just because he "got the ball rolling on the Protestant Reformation" doesn't make him a credible source (necessarily) on other topics i.e., he was a flaming racist.

Have you read The Sovereignty of God by Pink? Or anything by Boettner, or Calvin himself? Dan Steele and Curtis Thomas have a nice sized book called The Five Points of Calvinism which I read in a day when I was like 12.
I like to debate right here, mono-e-mono, I debate what is front of me, I cannot debate authors of books who are dead or don't sign-up on TOL. :)

Did you read... Battle Royale X?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
If you want to know about Calvinism it might help to actually go to Calvin.

And if Calvin were here I wonder what he would say that we already have not heard over and over again.

VanhoozerRocks

allsmiles said:

I would concur with all smiles. Going to the original sources of systematic statements of theological schools is immensely helpful. There is no need to let our Protestant anti-traditionalism carry to an extreme and reject even interacting with the thoughts of those who are much smarter then ourselves. We have two millenia of Christian interaction with the Bible and world at our disposal gentlemen, it would be a travesty to waste it.

Soli Deo Gloria

GuySmiley

allsmiles said:
Have you read The Bondage of the Will Knight? How about something a little lighter, like The Sovereignty of God by Arthur Pink? You'll find that those who know what they're talking about in the doctrines refered to as Calvinism make a coherent case from one end of the bible to next supporting their theology.
I'm willing to make a bet that neither of those books make any points that have never been brought up on TOL before. Do you know of any earth shattering evidence presented in those books that we (OV'ers on TOL) may not be aware of?

It'd would also be easy to claim that a book by an OV'er like Hasker has info that shoots down all of Calvinism and if you've never read it then you're in the dark.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:

I haven't read Calvin, but I have read some stuff by luther, and a lot more by Menno Simons. Simons was more of an free will believer though. Oh yeah , I've read the Bible too! Determinism is whacked!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Shimei said:
And if Calvin were here I wonder what he would say that we already have not heard over and over again.
I know what he is saying, right now....

:sozo: "Don't listen to me.... I was wrong!!! I am sorry, I realize I have set Christianity back thousands of years..... reject me, reject me!!!!"

allsmiles

Knight said:
You were giving Martin Luther credibility (on the subject of Calvinsim) because "got the ball rolling on the Protestant Reformation", I pointed out that just because he "got the ball rolling on the Protestant Reformation" doesn't make him a credible source (necessarily) on other topics i.e., he was a flaming racist.

Okay, fair enough. I guess if you want to know if he's credible on another source, such as the topic of this discussion, you'd have to go and see for yourself, wouldn't you?

I like to debate right here, mono-e-mono, I debate what is front of me, I cannot debate authors of books who are dead or don't sign-up on TOL. :)

Did you read... Battle Royale X?

You can have an educated opinion on the subject Knight, I don't need to be told that you can't debate a dead man.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
VanhoozerRocks said:
We have two millenia of Christian interaction with the Bible and world at our disposal gentlemen
And 99% of belongs in the disposal!!!

The "two millenia of Christian interaction with the Bible" is the main cause of the false teaching that is so prevalent in today's Christian world. It's time we dumped it, and went back to the source.... God's own word.

VanhoozerRocks

Knight said:
Maybe not but it sure is fun!

Uh... we have been adding "fresh" stuff to the debate on TOL for almost 10 years, where have you been?

Feel free to add something "fresh" whenever you are ready. :)

Just a friendly question here because i am really interested now. What is the fresh stuff that you guys have come up with?

Soli Deo Gloria

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
And 99% of belongs in the disposal!!!

The "two millenia of Christian interaction with the Bible" is the main cause of the false teaching that is so prevalent in today's Christian world. It's time we dumped it, and went back to the source.... God's own word.
:first: POD Short, sweet, and so much truth/word ratio is way up there!!!

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight said:
I know what he is saying, right now....

:sozo: "Don't listen to me.... I was wrong!!! I am sorry, I realize I have set Christianity back thousands of years..... reject me, reject me!!!!"

:ha:

True, Calvin stopped being a "Calvinist" the day he died.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
VanhoozerRocks said:
Just a friendly question here because i am really interested now. What is the fresh stuff that you guys have come up with?

Soli Deo Gloria
How about you start by reading Battle Royale X. :)

The Open View is fresh, it's a fresh look at God and His character taken directly from His word. It isn't Calvinistic or Arminian, TOL represents balance to the dark cold unchanging word of settled view theology.