Girls just want to have fun, with other girls? YUCK!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lauper, others headline gay rights tour

For some people, Cyndi Lauper's classic "True Colors" is just another love song.

But as Lauper learned from reading fans' letters, for others, the song's lyrics about letting "your true colors shine through" had a much deeper meaning.

"A lot of people were saying that when it came out (in 1986) they were teenagers and they were coming out," says Lauper, a longtime gay rights supporter. "They were disowned by their family and their friends and their jobs got all messed up and they were totally alone, and suicidal, and then they heard `True Colors' and it made them feel hopeful."

So it's fitting that Lauper, 53, is one of the headliners on the new "True Colors" tour, which will hit major cities nationwide to promote gay rights. Other performers for the 15-city event, which kicks off in Las Vegas on June 8 and ends in Los Angeles on June 30, are Deborah Harry, Erasure and Margaret Cho.

"This tour is basically gonna be five hours of some of my favorite bands and me, and Margaret Cho making us laugh, and while we're touring, we're going to be raising awareness," Lauper told The Associated Press on Friday. "I think people don't know what's going on, that's all."

Besides headliners like Lauper and Harry, the show will have guest artists such as Rufus Wainwright in the various cities it hits. "Every time I talk to a band, they're like, `I want to go!'" says Lauper with a laugh.

The tour, sponsored by Logo, the MTV Networks channel targeting gay audiences, will provide information to fans who attend, as well as purple wristbands with the slogan "Erase Hate" from the Matthew Shepard organization, named for a gay youth killed in an apparent hate crime. A dollar from every ticket sold will be earmarked for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.

Lauper believes more Americans would be supportive of equal rights for gays if they knew the discrimination they faced.

"You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. Come on, we don't live in a dictatorship. This is supposed to be America, the home of the free and the brave," she says. "It can't be free for some and not for others."

Other stops on the tour are Salt Lake City; Denver; Chicago; Atlantic City, N.J.; Boston; Washington; New York; Toronto; Atlanta; Dallas; Houston; San Diego and San Francisco.

MTV Networks is a unit of media company Viacom Inc.​
When Lauper "the lez-bo" states... "You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. Come on, we don't live in a dictatorship. This is supposed to be America, the home of the free and the brave," she says. "It can't be free for some and not for others." I wonder how far she takes that statement?

What about polygamists? Pedophiles? Incest advocates?

Where should we draw the line Cyndi?

source

red77

Knight said:
Lauper, others headline gay rights tour

For some people, Cyndi Lauper's classic "True Colors" is just another love song.

But as Lauper learned from reading fans' letters, for others, the song's lyrics about letting "your true colors shine through" had a much deeper meaning.

"A lot of people were saying that when it came out (in 1986) they were teenagers and they were coming out," says Lauper, a longtime gay rights supporter. "They were disowned by their family and their friends and their jobs got all messed up and they were totally alone, and suicidal, and then they heard `True Colors' and it made them feel hopeful."

So it's fitting that Lauper, 53, is one of the headliners on the new "True Colors" tour, which will hit major cities nationwide to promote gay rights. Other performers for the 15-city event, which kicks off in Las Vegas on June 8 and ends in Los Angeles on June 30, are Deborah Harry, Erasure and Margaret Cho.

"This tour is basically gonna be five hours of some of my favorite bands and me, and Margaret Cho making us laugh, and while we're touring, we're going to be raising awareness," Lauper told The Associated Press on Friday. "I think people don't know what's going on, that's all."

Besides headliners like Lauper and Harry, the show will have guest artists such as Rufus Wainwright in the various cities it hits. "Every time I talk to a band, they're like, `I want to go!'" says Lauper with a laugh.

The tour, sponsored by Logo, the MTV Networks channel targeting gay audiences, will provide information to fans who attend, as well as purple wristbands with the slogan "Erase Hate" from the Matthew Shepard organization, named for a gay youth killed in an apparent hate crime. A dollar from every ticket sold will be earmarked for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.

Lauper believes more Americans would be supportive of equal rights for gays if they knew the discrimination they faced.

"You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. Come on, we don't live in a dictatorship. This is supposed to be America, the home of the free and the brave," she says. "It can't be free for some and not for others."

Other stops on the tour are Salt Lake City; Denver; Chicago; Atlantic City, N.J.; Boston; Washington; New York; Toronto; Atlanta; Dallas; Houston; San Diego and San Francisco.

MTV Networks is a unit of media company Viacom Inc.​
When Lauper "the lez-bo" states... "You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. Come on, we don't live in a dictatorship. This is supposed to be America, the home of the free and the brave," she says. "It can't be free for some and not for others." I wonder how far she takes that statement?

Where should we draw the line Cyndi?

source

I think she'd probably draw the line at where it is just now, do you seriously think that she would advocate paedophilia where children are monstroslously violated against their will??! How long is that particular strawman going to go on for? :doh:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
They're still referring to Matthew Shepard's beating as an "apparent hate crime?" I swear! Libs can never seem to make up their minds!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
red77 said:
I think she'd probably draw the line at where it is just now, do you seriously think that she would advocate paedophilia where children are monstroslously violated against their will??! How long is that particular strawman going to go on for? :doh:
I notice you avoided polygamy and incest.

Where do you draw the line and why?

red77

Knight said:
I notice you avoided polygamy and incest.

Where do you draw the line and why?

I dont advocate polygamy and incest either! But I'm so tired of seeing the 'paedophilia' argument trotted out out as if anyone who believes that gay people should be treated as human beings would condone such a thing as child molestation and rape, it is a complete strawman and I would hope you can see this, not one person on this forum who has been against homosexuality being labelled a capital crime has ever
hinted that child rape be tolerated as anything other than a heinous crime - certainly in my experience - if there has been anyone who has defended paedophilia in this forums history then their views were sick and twisted beyond compare....

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
red77 said:
I dont advocate polygamy and incest either! But I'm so tired of seeing the 'paedophilia' argument trotted out out as if anyone who believes that gay people should be treated as human beings would condone such a thing as child molestation and rape, it is a complete strawman and I would hope you can see this, not one person on this forum who has been against homosexuality being labelled a capital crime has ever
hinted that child rape be tolerated as anything other than a heinous crime - certainly in my experience - if there has been anyone who has defended paedophilia in this forums history then their views were sick and twisted beyond compare....
It isn't a strawman you numbkull!

Trotting out pedophilia is a way to set the bar. It's way to test a statement because it is extreme.

For instance....

Cyndi Lauper states... "You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. "

I want to know how far reaching Cyndi's statement is. Where does she draw the line regarding sexual orientations. Therefore I bring up an extreme example (pedophilia) to set the bar. Does Cyndi REALLY think that you shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation???? Or does she think there are cases (i.e., pedophilia) where people should be treated differently because of the orientation?

This has nothing to do with strawmen, unless of course we are talking about gay strawmen. :D

GeneCosta

Knight said:

Trotting out pedophilia is a way to set the bar. It's way to test a statement because it is extreme.

For instance....

Cyndi Lauper states... "You shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation. "

I want to know how far reaching Cyndi's statement is. Where does she draw the line regarding sexual orientations. Therefore I bring up an extreme example (pedophilia) to set the bar. Does Cyndi REALLY think that you shouldn't have to be treated badly because of your sexual orientation???? Or does she think there are cases (i.e., pedophilia) where people should be treated differently because of the orientation?

This has nothing to do with strawmen, unless of course we are talking about gay strawmen. :D

The slippery slope begins with accepting any sexuality (including heterosexuality).

red77

Knight said:

For instance....

Oh yes it is a strawman, why? Because paedophilia VIOLATES children and is non consensual sex between adults, and I repeat - has there been any time on this forum where those who defend the rights of homosexuals have defended paedophilia also?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that anyone including Cyndi Lauper would?

One Eyed Jack

Cyndi Lauper is 53? I wonder if she's ever gotten around to getting a driver's license. I remember her saying in an interview years ago that she'd never had one.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Lighthouse said:
They're still referring to Matthew Shepard's beating as an "apparent hate crime?" I swear! Libs can never seem to make up their minds!
[Matthew Shepard's assailants]

Matthew Shepard's beating is not murder. Murder is predicated on the victim being human.

[/Matthew Shepard's assailants]

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
red77 said:
Do you SERIOUSLY think that anyone including Cyndi Lauper would?
Of course!

I would! And they do!

Homo's have been attempting to lower the age of consent for years! They have had some big successes in this fiendish campaign, especially in the UK.

GeneCosta

Knight said:
Oh man... it must suck to be you. :rotfl:

You're the one grossed out by lesbians.

My point stands. Heterosexuality produces just as many complications as homosexuality, even when the "no sex outside of one marriage" spin is added to both groups.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
red77 said:
Oh yes it is a strawman, why? Because paedophilia VIOLATES children and is non consensual sex between adults, and I repeat - has there been any time on this forum where those who defend the rights of homosexuals have defended paedophilia also?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that anyone including Cyndi Lauper would?
You do realize that Knight was merely pointing out that Cyndi needs to think a little harder about what she said, and rephrase it, don't you?

Real Sorceror

Knight said:
Pedophiles cause longlasting mental and physical harm to children. Obviously wrong.
Incest leads to genetically disabled children. Obviously wrong.
So, whats wrong with polygamy? I personally wouldn't marry more than one person, but I don't see why someone else can't.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Pedophiles cause longlasting mental and physical harm to children. Obviously wrong.
Incest leads to genetically disabled children. Obviously wrong.
So, whats wrong with polygamy? I personally wouldn't marry more than one person, but I don't see why someone else can't.
Because it takes away from their one relationship to focus on another. And in a marriage, those things that would be taken away, should never be taken away.:nono:

Real Sorceror

Lighthouse said:
Because it takes away from their one relationship to focus on another. And in a marriage, those things that would be taken away, should never be taken away.:nono:
That assumes that everyone handles a relationship in the same way.

red77

Lighthouse said:
You do realize that Knight was merely pointing out that Cyndi needs to think a little harder about what she said, and rephrase it, don't you?

I reckon Cyndi would prob have been just as bemused as I am to think that her remarks would somehow infer that she could have been advocating paedophilia somewhere along the line...