Genesis 1 made more sensible and scientific

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Your version distorts the text and destroys the gospel putting millions of years of death and suffering before sin by first Adam. Your version destroys the necessity of Christ's physical death and resurrection

Why do lions have sharp teeth if they were originally herbivores?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Yes...I agree. However the doctrine of salvation is rooted in the first couple books of Genesis. Actually, all Christian doctrine is rooted in Genesis.

No it's not. Purely Christian doctrine is rooted in the gospels. Genesis is just as, if not far more, important to the Jewish and Muslim faiths.

lifeisgood

Genesis better be far more important to us Christians than to the Jewish and Muslims faith.

Without understanding Genesis - Malachi, the New Testament makes no sense at all.

lifeisgood

...Unfortunately, God doesn't give us all the details. All we can do is begin with what we do know and make reasonable inferences. I can think of several possibilities which are Biblically acceptable, but it may be that a combination of these or some other best reflects the truth.

The first is that God, in His foreknowledge, knew that soon things would change, and so He created animals with features they would need in the new economy. Or it may be that these features had some other more benign function originally.

http://www.icr.org/article/if-all-animals-were-created-plant-eaters-why-do-so/

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The bible isn't a science book but a book of salvation

False dichotomy.

There is more scientific value in the Bible than in three years of university study.

Genesis is not a science book.

The fear of God is the beginning of understanding.

Kim-Jong-un.gif

I'm not yet up to his level. :)

Why don't you have a brain if you were originally supposed to think?

Genesis is just as, if not far more, important to the Jewish and Muslim faiths.
Therefore... something. :idunno:

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
...Unfortunately, God doesn't give us all the details. All we can do is begin with what we do know and make reasonable inferences. I can think of several possibilities which are Biblically acceptable, but it may be that a combination of these or some other best reflects the truth.

The first is that God, in His foreknowledge, knew that soon things would change, and so He created animals with features they would need in the new economy. Or it may be that these features had some other more benign function originally.

http://www.icr.org/article/if-all-animals-were-created-plant-eaters-why-do-so/

Thank you for that link. But I see this whole pre-sin world where everyone gets along and eats plants (which themselves actually can feel and suffer, something that was only discovered in the past decade) as pure metaphor. Besides the fact that there just cannot possibly be enough plant matter for all creatures on Earth at any given time in history to subsist on, it aims to provide a lesson. It doesn't seem to be meant literally

6days

No it's not. Purely Christian doctrine is rooted in the gospels. Genesis is just as, if not far more, important to the Jewish and Muslim faiths.
Sorry Kdall but that simply is showing your ignorance. Genesis is foundational to doctrines of God, Christ, Satan, man, sin salvation and more. We know its important to our faith because Christ referred to Genesis as absolute truth more than He referred to other OT passages.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Sorry Kdall but that simply is showing your ignorance. Genesis is foundational to doctrines of God, Christ, Satan, man, sin salvation and more. We know its important to our faith because Christ referred to Genesis as absolute truth more than He referred to other OT passages.

I think you missed my point. Genesis is foundational to all three major monotheistic religions, however the gospels are only foundational to one. I'm assuming you know which one that is

6days

Genesis is foundational to all three major monotheistic religions, however the gospels are only foundational to one. I'm assuming you know which one that is
You are chasing your tail it seems?

I had said...."However the doctrine of salvation is rooted in the first couple books of Genesis. Actually, all Christian doctrine is rooted in Genesis."
You replied that 'It isn't'

Now you are saying it is foundational to Christianity and more.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
You are chasing your tail it seems?

I had said...."However the doctrine of salvation is rooted in the first couple books of Genesis. Actually, all Christian doctrine is rooted in Genesis."
You replied that 'It isn't'

Now you are saying it is foundational to Christianity and more.

All is not rooted in Genesis. As stated earlier, much is rooted in the gospels. I'd say most

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
True.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word "rooted."

I stand by my statement. The gospels are the foundation upon which the Christian religion is built. Without them, the Christian religion isn't any different than Judaism. Therefore, Christianity is rooted firmly in the gospels as well as in the OT.

Rivers

Your version distorts the text and destroys the gospel putting millions of years of death and suffering before sin by first Adam. Your version destroys the necessity of Christ's physical death and resurrection

Interpreting the text of the Genesis creation story shouldn't be restricted by presuppositions about Christology and Soteriology that had not bearing at that point in history.

Ben Masada

Genesis 1 Made More Sensible and Scientific!

I agree that Genesis 1:3 is very sensible and scientific if we consider the metaphorical point of light. "The Lord said, 'Let there be light and there was light.'" If we read about the Essenes Theology, the world is divided between the children of light and the children of darkness.

First, there was darkness and the Lord said, "Let there be light, and there was light." Genesis 1:3 was the very first prophecy about the rise of Israel from the loins of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But, till then, spiritual darkness was all over the earth. Hence, the Flood was necessary as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had not risen yet. Soon after the Flood the Lord promised Noah that He would never strike Mankind again with another universal catastrophe of the size of the Flood as long as the laws of Nature functioned properly. (Genesis 8:21,22)

The "Let there be light" of Genesis 1:3 was in fulfillment with the rise of Israel. Jeremiah read that text and connected it with Israel by saying that the natural laws would function properly as long as Israel remained as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) Isaiah must also have read that text of Genesis 1:3 and said that Israel had been assigned as light unto the nations. (Isaiah 42:6) Last but not least, Jesus also must have read that text when he said that the Jews are the light of the world in Mat. 5:14 and that salvation comes from the Jews. Universal salvation there is. John 4:22. That's how Genesis 1:3 is made more sensible and scientific.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The speculation that Eves sin brought death to all mankind as opposed to her and her mate Adam, who also deliberately sined in order to share Eves fate, is the basis for the confusion. Death is normal for man, it's been around for hundreds of millions of years since the death of the first organisms of evolution. Only those who "translate" are spared natural death. But even then their bodies are consumed by flames.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
There are a few things about the original text of Genesis that may help us see a more rational statement there than many have thought.

1:1 is a title like 2:4, 5:1 and many other places in Genesis. It is not action in the story yet.

The grammar of v2 actually goes: when God was creating the earth, it was already empty and void. Just note for now that there was material there already, in dissarray and emptiness. We don't know how long.

'empty and void' (tohu wa-bohu) is an expression having to do with God's judgement. It is in Jer 4:11. The land of Israel was empty and void after the first captivity of Israel as a judgement.

So at the end of Gen 1:2, We now therefore have:
an indefinitely old earth that is unformed and unfilled (we must assume he is referring to the visible surface, not the subterra).
2, it is in this condition because something was wrong and was judged. We are now reminded of an event that is coming shortly--the flood. We just don't know what kind of thing offended God. There are some clues in Job and the Psalms. Some of them have to do with a massive creature who was some sort of lizard in the sea.
3, the two terms 'empty and void' now set up an "answer" in the creative acts of God. Because there is a problem. First, he will provide some structures (again on the surface), and then he will fill those structures. So at the end of the 6 days of work, the place is un-void and un-empty, or, formed and filled.

We don't know how long this took, but as you say, he can speak things into existence as he wishes.

There are now some things that are more sensible to the OE scientist and yet the passage is still intact. In fact, paleontology refers to the Cambrian explosion, which is mysterious. That is referring to the sudden appearance of all kinds of species in the fossil record.

Resources:
Stroebel. THE CASE FOR A CREATOR.
Wakefield. GOD'S BATTLE WITH THE SEA MONSTER.
Walkte. CREATION AND CHAOS.
Ross. CREATION AND TIME.
Genesis was created by the Hebrew priest in Babylon for an Israelite audience. Without knowing any better they assumed Adam and Eve were the first humans on earth, so they wrote a story about themselves connected to Adam. The ancient story of Adam and Eve was prominent within Mesopotamian lore, the Hebrews grafted it into their all important blood lines and religious authority. It's a fragmented and garbled mess.

Last edited:

Rivers

Genesis 1 Made More Sensible and Scientific!

I agree that Genesis 1:3 is very sensible and scientific if we consider the metaphorical point of light. "The Lord said, 'Let there be light and there was light.'" If we read about the Essenes Theology, the world is divided between the children of light and the children of darkness.

First, there was darkness and the Lord said, "Let there be light, and there was light." Genesis 1:3 was the very first prophecy about the rise of Israel from the loins of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But, till then, spiritual darkness was all over the earth. Hence, the Flood was necessary as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had not risen yet. Soon after the Flood the Lord promised Noah that He would never strike Mankind again with another universal catastrophe of the size of the Flood as long as the laws of Nature functioned properly. (Genesis 8:21,22)

The "Let there be light" of Genesis 1:3 was in fulfillment with the rise of Israel. Jeremiah read that text and connected it with Israel by saying that the natural laws would function properly as long as Israel remained as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) Isaiah must also have read that text of Genesis 1:3 and said that Israel had been assigned as light unto the nations. (Isaiah 42:6) Last but not least, Jesus also must have read that text when he said that the Jews are the light of the world in Mat. 5:14 and that salvation comes from the Jews. Universal salvation there is. John 4:22. That's how Genesis 1:3 is made more sensible and scientific.

It's much simpler to understand what the "light" was referring to in Genesis 1:3 if we read the verse in its context. The writer plainly said that God called the light "day" and that it was opposite of "darkness" and caused "evening and morning" (Genesis 1:4-5). This means it was simply referring to sunlight (Genesis 1:14-18).