ECT Forgiving and Forgiveness

IMJerusha

Paul is speaking of the old law. The old law was not based on faith.

I don't agree with that statement in some contexts and here is why. Who, in their right mind, would have made any effort to be obedient to God's Law if they didn't have faith in God? I think Paul was speaking of the curse of the Law in Galatians 3:12.

A person could sin, give a sin offering, but not really be sorry for their sins.

It seems like not a whole lot has changed. A person can declare faith in Yeshua and still behave like an unrepentant putz!...or so they think.
In spite of the appearance of doing what was required by the Law, there was still a necessity for the action to be heartfelt just as faith in Yeshua needs to be heartfelt.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I don't agree with that statement in some contexts and here is why. Who, in their right mind, would have made any effort to be obedient to God's Law if they didn't have faith in God? I think Paul was speaking of the curse of the Law in Galatians 3:12.

It seems like not a whole lot has changed. A person can declare faith in Yeshua and still behave like an unrepentant putz!...or so they think.
In spite of the appearance of doing what was required by the Law, there was still a necessity for the action to be heartfelt just as faith in Yeshua needs to be heartfelt.

I thought it was YOU who found some sin unavoidable...you don't drench yourself in it...just a few juicy morsels, your pet, your darling.

IMJerusha

It identifies sin but has no power to deliver you from it, Paul calls it the old written code which kills...it kills because nobody was ever able to obey them unto righteousness.

I've never stated it did. What I have stated is Yeshua's Words as found in John 15 which are a requirement to remain in Him for salvation. My point has always been that Yeshua does not reside in lawlessness so we can't reside in lawlessness either. Paul was irritated by his inability to refrain from doing something he knew was sinful and he asked Yeshua to take it from him. The answer to his request was "My grace is sufficient." We're weak but that's okay. What isn't okay is wanton and willful disobedience.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I've never stated it did. What I have stated is Yeshua's Words as found in John 15 which are a requirement to remain in Him for salvation. My point has always been that Yeshua does not reside in lawlessness so we can't reside in lawlessness either.

If the law does not deliver us from sin but the cross does and the indwelling Christ.

....why are you still fussing with the law?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

1Cor 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1Cor 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.​

I see the liberty we have as similar to this:
All speed limits are lawful. But just because any speed is lawful doesn't mean it is a good idea to drive 120 mph through a school zone. That would be reckless even though you have the liberty to do so.
Or, to put it another way, if I do drive 120 mph through a school zone, even though it would be reckless, I have not broken the law.

Your analogy as well as your interpretation of Scripture is incorrect because not all speed limits such as murder, covetousness, slander, theft, taking the Name of the Lord in vain, failing to forgive, etc. are now lawful. Yeshua's death for our sake did not remove our need to fear God and Yeshua stated this. “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." Luke 12:4-5

Umm. ALL things are lawful for me.

1Cor 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1Cor 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.​

Sure, according to societal laws, you might end up in a jail cell by doing certain things.
But none of those things will keep you out of the BOC.

IMJerusha

If the law does not deliver us from sin but the cross does and the indwelling Christ.

We can't separate ourselves from it, Tottie. It's written on our hearts.
Let me ask you this: do you acknowledge other gods before God? No, of course you don't. Why? Because you know it's wrong. Why? Because that Law of God is written on your heart. If you were to try to take something from the store without paying for it, would you know you were doing wrong? Yes. Why? Because that Law of God is written on your heart.

God's Truth

I've never stated it did. What I have stated is Yeshua's Words as found in John 15 which are a requirement to remain in Him for salvation. My point has always been that Yeshua does not reside in lawlessness so we can't reside in lawlessness either. Paul was irritated by his inability to refrain from doing something he knew was sinful and he asked Yeshua to take it from him. The answer to his request was "My grace is sufficient." We're weak but that's okay. What isn't okay is wanton and willful disobedience.

Why would you say that about Paul?

How do you get that a messenger of Satan is a sin Paul could not refrain from doing?

I hope you reconsider what you said about Paul.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Pardon me, where was Paul irritated by his inability to refrain from doing something he knew was sinful?

Are you re-writing the bible?

So once again you admit that sin has gotten dominion over you to make you obey it.

You are surely playing a game of "chase me" with the devil.

Resist him, draw nigh unto God...that is the new way, the more you try to keep the commandment the greater the temptation to sin...that is how it works.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
We can't separate ourselves from it, Tottie. It's written on our hearts.
Let me ask you this: do you acknowledge other gods before God? No, of course you don't. Why? Because you know it's wrong. Why? Because that Law of God is written on your heart.

Ah the Spirit you mean.....but Paul sets the way of righteousness by keeping commandments as OPPOSED to the righteousness of the epistle written by the Holy Ghost on our hearts.

That old way came with a splendour which was already fading...this new way of the Spirit is much more splendourous and permanent.

...why have you backslidden?

God's Truth

Paul was speaking to those without a law to win them to Christ.

Paul is saying what those without the law would say.

1 Corinthians 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law) , so as to win those not having the law.

Sure, according to societal laws, you might end up in a jail cell by doing certain things.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

IMJerusha

It's not societal law we need to be concerned with. It's God's Will and whether we choose the fear of the Lord, remaining in the Son He provided for us. Even as members of the Body, we will be judged according to our deeds, says Paul.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Paul was irritated by his inability to refrain from doing something he knew was sinful and he asked Yeshua to take it from him.

Pardon me, where was Paul irritated by his inability to refrain from doing something he knew was sinful?

what do you think this means?

2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV)

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

God's Truth

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

That scripture does not say Paul sinned.

IMJerusha

How do you get that a messenger of Satan is a sin Paul could not refrain from doing?

I hope you reconsider what you said about Paul.

All messages to us from HaSatan are sin. That's why he persists in bugging us...to tempt us.

IMJerusha

It means what Yeshua said, ..."apart from me you can do nothing."

God's Truth

What don't you get about having to obey Jesus' words and there being a new law?

There is a Covenant and you must follow the guidelines to be in the Covenant.