ECT Forgiveness of Sins

SaulToPaul 2

I've given up on reaching catholics. I'm 0 for 9036 in my lifetime.
.000 batting average. Their cult is almost impenetrable.

It is Satan's masterpiece, and he guards it closely.

DAN P

I suggest you read the scriptures instead of joining Danoh in the idiot pool and indulging in anti-Catholic propaganda.

John 20:21-23:
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Your problem is with Jesus, not us.

Hi you quoted John 20:21-23 and you have FAILED to see that the Greek text reads , H ebreathed on the 12 apostles and said RECEIVE Holy Spirit and notice that thebGeek ntext does not use the Greek ARICILE THE as it is not in the Greek text !!

This can mean by your application that ANYONE who has the Holy Spirit CAN REMIT SINS , how is that !!

So how did the apostles REMIT SINS > GRASSHOPPER ??

dan p

SaulToPaul 2

If catholics would ever believe the gospel and trust the LORD, then they may be able to see what foolishness and bondage they are wrapped up in.

Knowing that you were forgiven ALL TRESPASSES as you were raised up WITH THE LORD will set you free.

Jerry Shugart

Let me guess, nobody watched Parts 1 & 2 and chose to remain ignorant instead. Oh well.

You are the one who wants to remain ignorant and that explains why you did not reply to my remarks about what I quoted here:

Note that the power Christ gave the apostles was twofold: to forgive sins or to hold them bound, which means to retain them unforgiven.

Let us look at this passage:

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"
(Mt.16:18-19).​

Here the Lord refers to the "keys of the kingdom of heaven," the same kingdom referred to here by the Lord Jesus:

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Mt.4:17).​

Since the nation of Israel failed to recognize the Lord Jesus as their promised Messiah the setting up of the earthly kingdom has been postponed until the return of the Lord Jesus to earth:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

It will not be until the kingdom is brought to earth when the Apostles will "bind on earth" what "shall be bound in heaven." That will not happen until the Apostles will sit upon twelve tribes judging the twelve tribes of Israel in the kingdom:

"That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel" (Lk.22:30).​

This speaks of the millennial reign of the Lord Jesus, the time when Israel will be restored to her previous position of being a special people unto the Lord. Therefore the "keys of the kingdom of heaven" have nothing to do with what is happening now within the Body of Christ.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
You are the one who wants to remain ignorant......

Sorry, but the "I'm rubber and you're glue" argument won't fly with me.

What I believe is what East and West - all of Christianity - has believed for 2,000 years. What you believe is a new-fangled invention of men, unheard of before the 16th century.

I suggest you read the scriptures instead of joining Danoh in the idiot pool and indulging in anti-Catholic propaganda.

John 20:21-23:
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Your problem is with Jesus, not us.

Jesus gave the apostles and their successors the authority to forgive sins in his name.

Right Divider

Body part
Why, because you say so?

The 2,000 year old Church and the Bible says you are wrong. That is what I will go with.
You Romanists are a funny bunch.

Your "church" tried to takeover Israel's place. They are not Israel and neither are you.

Please note that the Bible documents the replacement of Judas Iscariot. This was to get them back to TWELVE so that they could present Israel's kingdom and King to Israel. When God set them aside (temporarily), the Bible no longer documents "apostle replacement" (see Acts 12 where James as killed).

P.S. The TWELVE apostles that will that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of ISRAEL had a specific mission to the NATION of ISRAEL. Paul is that other, different apostle (i.e., the ONE apostle for the ONE body [of Christ]).

You Romanists are a funny bunch

And the insults immediately begin to fly. I am an American and a Christian. I have never been to or lived in Rome.

I agree with the OP
I agree with the Orthodox Church
I agree with the Catholic Church
I agree with the ancient church
I agree with the Bible.
I agree with Jesus.

You disagree with Jesus. That is fine. That is your affair. And I guess insulting is your prerogative sine you are a mod, one who apparently cannot take what he dishes out. Rules for thee and not for me.

Do not expect me to reply to you any further.

sc.png

Last edited:
Don't be a cry baby.

Do you think that sort of post fosters Christian dialogue? I hope I never accidentally step foot into your "church".

As I said a couple of weeks ago, the so-called "Christians" in this theology forum are far worse hate mongers than the Leftists in the political section. Insults upon insults. You are why kids don't want to be Christian today..

At any rate, I stand by what I said:

I agree with the OP
I agree with the Orthodox Church
I agree with the Catholic Church
I agree with the ancient church
I agree with the Bible.
I agree with Jesus.

As Peter said, I am happy to give a reason for my faith. But arguing with hateful people is not going to happen.

Do not expect me to reply to you any further either.

Part 1, 2, and 3
As mentioned earlier in the thread.
Very good.
Dr. Scott Hahn, professor of biblical theology at Franciscan University, overviews the biblical and theological foundation for the sacrament of reconciliation and offers personal testimony on its healing effects.