Florida Cop Murders Dog in Front of Dog Owner

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the thread title is a lie

the owner didn't show herself until after the first shot was fired

glorydaz

If attacked by a determined dog while you're unarmed, the best advice I've heard is to drive your thumbs into its eyeballs. If that's not possible and the dog has you on the ground, shove your stiffened cupped hand as far down its throat as you can manage while holding it around the neck with your other arm. Don't let go until the dog stops breathing. Failing either of those, if you have the sufficient strength and speed, quickly pick the dog up as high as you can and piledrive in head first into the ground. If it isn't killed outright, that will break or rupture something and stop the attack. Or a tight bearhug around the neck until it's dead.

I like dogs as much as the next person but they are animals. As animals, there is always an element of unpredictability.

If attacked by a cat, grab it by the tail and swing against the nearest stationary object. Or go for distance.

Good advice about the cat. They can do more damage in half a second than a dog can all day. :chuckle:

Dogs are nothing to mess around with...that dog in the video was charging...not curious, not wondering who the guy was, not hoping he had a treat. It was a rescue danger dog being given a second chance, and it failed. There are lots of them out there and too many do gooders think they can take them in and give them so much love they'll be fine. It doesn't work that way.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:plain: You're right....But personally I couldn't see myself killing this animal. It's simply too small to be a valid threat to me personally (Or..IMHO...That cop). The cop panicked and overreacted. The shame of it is he probably is feeling terrible about it but can't express that due to liability concerns.

The world we live in.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's keeping him up nights.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The dog that bit me didn't bare it's teeth or snarl either. It walked right up to me like it was going to sniff me and just attacked.

As unfortunate as the situation is, it's not up to you to tell others how they are allowed or expected to defend themselves in such a situation.

I was also bit by a dog when i was 13, no warning, no growl, no bark. I knocked on a friend of mines, front door, and it came up behind me, and bit right into my leg and held on. The harder i tried to get away the harder it clenched. They had to get it to let go.

My parents were told it was an old police dog, trained to grab and hold.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As a dog owner, I can empathize over losing a beloved pet.

However, there does seem to be some neglect on the part of the dog owner insofar as making sure her dog was secure.

I have three chihuahuas and even though only one *might* bite if he was cornered or protecting me, they are always secured in my home or back yard.