Favorite Quotations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Sounds to me like the left's game plan

I'd appreciate it if you didn't make this thread a place for political argument and/or discussion. There are plenty of threads out there that you can use for that purpose. If you have a quote you want to put up, feel free to do that.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You posted before I edited. I would like this not to become a political discussion thread.

And yes, it's one I liked very much. I think it speaks to us today as much as it did back then.
I have no problem with not making this a political or an argumentative thread, but you are the one that posted a long political post, I just responded. I didn't know 500 word quotes are considered "favorite quotations"

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have no problem with not making this a political or an argumentative thread, but you are the one that posted a long political post, I just responded. I didn't know 500 word quotes are considered "favorite quotations"

Is that another rule from the word police? Come on, patrick. You're critiquing my quote length? It needed the length for context, if I'd put in only the part that resonated with me, it wouldn't have made sense.

I'm not asking for a lot, just that this doesn't turn into a thread fighting about left and right. There are enough of those to go around in the politics forum.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So your Nazi post was a "favorite quote?"

You posted before I edited. I would like this not to become a political discussion thread.

And yes, it's one I liked very much. I think it speaks to us today as much as it did back then.

Oh i agree, and heres one liberals love, in fact they play by it daily.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” Joseph Goebbels Nazi

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have a three-by-five up there with this fragment of a sentence from a story by Chekhov: "... and suddenly everything became clear to him." I find these words filled with wonder and possibility. I love their simple clarity, and the hint of revelation that's implied. There is mystery, too. What has been unclear before? Why is it just now becoming clear? What's happened? Most of all - what now? There are consequences as a result of such sudden awakenings. I feel a sharp sense of relief - and anticipation.

Raymond Carver

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Transformative Experience... is a kind of experience that is both radically new to you and changes you in a deep and fundamental way. Many of life’s biggest decisions involve choices to have experiences that teach us things we cannot know about from any other source but the experience itself. The lesson I draw is that life may be more about discovery, and coming to terms with who we’ve made ourselves into via our choices, than about carefully executing a plan for self-realization. With many big life choices, we only learn what we need to know after we’ve done it, and we change in the process of doing it.

L.A. Paul

I'm still in shock at the realization of how big an idea this is. I have a lot of unpacking to do.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You know that undergoing the experience will change what it is like for you to live your life, and perhaps even change what it is like to be you, deeply and fundamentally.

L.A. Paul

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
achildofbooks3.jpg

achildofbooks6.jpg

Images from a book review at a longtime favorite website of mine: brainpickings.org.

A Child of Books.

What beautifully imaginative artwork and typography. I was entranced. And I wanted to share.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H.L. Mencken, July 26, 1920

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Life is a movement outward, an unfolding.

Elbert Hubbard.

I like that. An unfolding.

I've been reading about Elbert Hubbard, and currently reading his Love, Life & Work: Being a Book of Opinions Reasonably Good-Natured Concerning How to Attain the Highest Happiness for One's Self with the Least Possible Harm to Others

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Reality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends on what we look for. What we look for depends on what we think. What we think depends on what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is our reality.

David Bohm

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The question of free will touches nearly everything we care about. Morality, law, politics, religion, public policy, intimate relationships, feelings of guilt and personal accomplishment — most of what is distinctly human about our lives seems to depend upon our viewing one another as autonomous persons, capable of free choice. . . .

The fact that our choices depend on prior cause does not mean that choice doesn’t matter. To sit back and see what happens is also a choice that has its own consequences. So, the choices we make in life are as important as people think, but the next choice you make will come out of a wilderness of prior causes that you cannot see and did not bring into being.

Sam Harris, Free Will