Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

oatmeal

Fast food workers want to make a fast buck!

Anyone who thinks fast food is a career unless you are management is missing some facts.

As you stated the free market system works well.

Demanding wages not earned is greed

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nice victim blaming. Why's the prevailing attitude in this country always seems to be "if you're poor, it's your fault"?

Not only that but there's a segment of the population that will never aspire (due to learning disabilities) to more than fast-food level jobs. Are these working people simply left to impoverishment ....in America no less?

Wal Mart openly encourages their employees to apply for public aid...it's apparently an aspect of their employee's benefit package. :chuckle:

Those that are opposed to such raises hopefully realize that fast food employers and the Wal Marts of the world that refuse to pay liveable wages put a (intended) burden upon our social system? (All the while attempting to avoid their own taxes!)

You're gouged either way. Don't be fooled...the system is not geared to favor the working shtiff.

rexlunae

Fast food workers want to make a fast buck!

Anyone who thinks fast food is a career unless you are management is missing some facts.

As you stated the free market system works well.

Demanding wages not earned is greed

So, the people who cook and serve the food don't earn their wages? The people who own the building earn it all. In other words, the rich are generous and the poor are greedy.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Theoretical economists were shocked when Henry Ford paid his workers double the going rate. Henry wasn't doing it out of kindness; he was an autocrat, who detested unions.

He simply realized that he could sell more cars, if there were more people able to buy them. This is why the economy repeatedly defies supply-side economists, and doesn't tank each time the minimum wage goes up. In fact, there's no discernible trend at all from raises in the minimum wage.

Henry Ford didn't raise the minimum wage.

He merely showed that raising wages didn't have an adverse effect. When he did that, he increased his market share over other manufacturers and got richer.

Ultimately, his competitors gave in and did the same thing. He was able to raise wages the industry because it had a limited number of large corporations. And it prospered, even though autoworkers were more highly paid than other industrial workers. Ironically, only after real wages declined, did the auto industry decline.

But Ford demonstrated that the "raise wages, lose jobs" mantra was completely wrong. And that is why unemployment does not rise when the minimum wage goes up.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But Ford demonstrated that the "raise wages, lose jobs" mantra was completely wrong. And that is why unemployment does not rise when the minimum wage goes up.

The Story of Henry Ford's $5 a Day Wages: It's Not What You Think

From the link:

"But in any case there is a fundamental flaw in the argument: Surely the benefits of low turnover and high morale in your work force come not from paying a high wage, but from paying a high wage “compared with other companies” — and that is precisely what mandating an increase in the minimum wage for all companies cannot accomplish."

The Berean

The Story of Henry Ford's $5 a Day Wages: It's Not What You Think

From the link:

"But in any case there is a fundamental flaw in the argument: Surely the benefits of low turnover and high morale in your work force come not from paying a high wage, but from paying a high wage “compared with other companies” — and that is precisely what mandating an increase in the minimum wage for all companies cannot accomplish."
This is why In-N-Out has a low turnover rate and have many more people apply than they can hire. Everyone knows In-N-Out pays the highest wages and young people want to work there.

In-N-Out Burger: Professionalizing Fast Food

Hundreds line up to apply for a job at In-N-Out Burger

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is why In-N-Out has a low turnover rate and have many more people apply than they can hire. Everyone knows In-N-Out pays the highest wages and young people want to work there.

If they raised the minimum wage so that all fast food people made the same wage, do you think In-N-Out would still have low turnover?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

That doesn't hold water, either. Wages at other auto manufacturers went up in self-defense. But the bottom line is that more people could afford to buy goods and services. So what? If a worker could only afford new furniture for his living room, how did that help Ford sell more cars?

If you don't know, then a quick review of economics might be in order.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wages at other auto manufacturers went up in self-defense.

It's obvious you didn't read the article.

Another excerpt from the article:

"The $5-a-day rate was about half pay and half bonus. The bonus came with character requirements and was enforced by the Socialization Organization. This was a committee that would visit the employees’ homes to ensure that they were doing things the “American way.” They were supposed to avoid social ills such as gambling and drinking. They were to learn English, and many (primarily the recent immigrants) had to attend classes to become “Americanized.” Women were not eligible for the bonus unless they were single and supporting the family. Also, men were not eligible if their wives worked outside the home."

Good luck with the "learning English" part, not to mention the abstaining from gambling and drinking.

I tell you what. I'm all for a minimum wage hike if the recipients have to learn English, and refrain from gambling and drinking.

How about you?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

Another excerpt from the article:

"The $5-a-day rate was about half pay and half bonus. The bonus came with character requirements and was enforced by the Socialization Organization. This was a committee that would visit the employees’ homes to ensure that they were doing things the “American way.” They were supposed to avoid social ills such as gambling and drinking. They were to learn English, and many (primarily the recent immigrants) had to attend classes to become “Americanized.” Women were not eligible for the bonus unless they were single and supporting the family. Also, men were not eligible if their wives worked outside the home."

Good luck with the "learning English" part, not to mention the abstaining from gambling and drinking.

I tell you what. I'm all for a minimum wage hike if the recipients have to learn English, and refrain from gambling and drinking.

How about you?

i wonder how many negros and jews he hired? :think:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
i wonder how many negros and jews he hired? :think:

"The Jews caused the war, the Jews caused the outbreak of thieving and robbery all over the country, the Jews caused the inefficiency of the navy" - Henry Ford

Henry Ford purchased his hometown newspaper (The Dearborn Independent), and began writing a series called "The International Jew". Ford published 91 articles about Jews, and then bound them into four volumes, and then distributed them to all his car dealerships.

As for the blacks:

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black" - Henry Ford :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Today Fast Food workers all across America are protesting demanding to be paid more.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-09-04-09-39-16

This is a battle they will not win. After all..... even if they win.... they will lose.

It's fairly simple..... if we force private companies to pay a wage that is above what the market demands, companies will be forced to employ less people and fire folks that might normally be needed and employed.

And even worse.... If the minimum wage is inflated, companies will raise prices to accommodate the new wage thereby raising the cost of living and making the new wage less valuable.

It's self defeating to fight against the free market.
Precisely.

Anyone who gives a full measure of their day (8 hours or more) in exchange for wages should be able to live on those wages. They should be able to afford a reasonable place to live, reasonable means of transportation and communication, food, clothes, and basic health care.
You do understand that fast food jobs are part-time, and thus not an eight hour a day job, right?

Actually in fast food, retail, other restaurant, and grocery store work the only full-time jobs are management.

Here's the other thing: in most cities in the US if a person worked full time for minimum wage they could afford to live on that. And in other cities all they would need is a roommate or two.

Yes because the only component of the prices is wages?

The cost of burgers and other fast food come from

• food stuffs
  • rent
  • taxes
  • wages
  • marketing
  • other business overheads
  • profits and shareholders dividend

So you argument that there is direct correlation between wages and prices is false?

A 5% rise in wages will lead to less than a 1% rise in burgers in most cases.

The key argument here is who reaps the reward the investor or the worker?

I think in a fair world that is mixed and balanced, with both worker and investor reaping rewards.
Actually a raise in minimum wage would increase prices all over, including that of the things you listed; because almost everyone would end up having to raise their wages. Either that or they wouldn't be able to pay the difference in regard to minimum wage that they were before the increase.

I actually suffered from exactly that problem at a job. I started out at more than minimum wage. Then it increased three years in a row. When the last increase hit I was making minimum wage, because the company couldn't afford to pay me more than that. I did eventually get a raise but even then the difference was less than the difference I was getting when I started the job.

Correct, goods and services increase on average double when its increased and any gain then becomes a loss and people end up with less overall after that happens.

A fast food job is not intended to be a career move unless the persons aspiration is management there - they make well over minimum wage.

A fast food hourly job is not intended to support a family.
:thumb:

So, the people who cook and serve the food don't earn their wages? The people who own the building earn it all. In other words, the rich are generous and the poor are greedy.
The job isn't worth what they're getting paid now, to be honest. I know I did it for almost two decades. And in every single job I was surrounded by people who didn't care enough about the job to even try to make themselves valuable and irreplaceable to the company so as to actually earn more and get raises and/or promotions.

If he really didn't care about your words he wouldn't have you on ignore.

Barbarian observes:
Theoretical economists were shocked when Henry Ford paid his workers double the going rate. Henry wasn't doing it out of kindness; he was an autocrat, who detested unions.

He simply realized that he could sell more cars, if there were more people able to buy them. This is why the economy repeatedly defies supply-side economists, and doesn't tank each time the minimum wage goes up. In fact, there's no discernible trend at all from raises in the minimum wage.

He merely showed that raising wages didn't have an adverse effect. When he did that, he increased his market share over other manufacturers and got richer.

Ultimately, his competitors gave in and did the same thing. He was able to raise wages the industry because it had a limited number of large corporations. And it prospered, even though autoworkers were more highly paid than other industrial workers. Ironically, only after real wages declined, did the auto industry decline.

Of course unemployment doesn't rise when employers willingly pay higher wages, nimrod.

The issue is when they are forced to do so and can't afford it without cutting hours or losing employees.

In this scenario there are various things that could happen:

1. The company has to cut back on hours and thus is forced to hire more employees to cover shifts that were already covered while still not paying out as much as they would have had they not cut hours. And this leads to no one at that company getting full time except management.
  2. They have to cut hours and can't even afford to hire new employees to cover shifts thus they are short staffed most of the time.
  3. They have to let employees go.
  4. A combination of 2 & 3.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

I did. But it's obvious that you were more attracted to the paternalism than the effect of putting more money into the pockets of consumers. Yeah, Ford was an anti-Semite, and attempted to impose his social ideas on his workers. But the economic effects were more profound than the social engineering you like so much.

That's the point. You hurt yourself by opposing minimum wage hikes. It's not a good thing because it's generous; it's a good thing because it has a good effect on the economy. And as you know it has no detectable effect on unemployment.

You probably don't know that almost all immigrants want to learn English as fast as possible, and that you're more likely to be an alcoholic than an immigrant is.

But it's not about the facts for you, is it?

How about you?

I always saw it as an economic question, not an opportunity to push people around.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
A mandatory minimum wage is self-defeating; it's a losing battle. Otherwise they wouldn't need to keep increasing it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
it's a good thing because it has a good effect on the economy.

At what dollar amount does it have a negative effect on the economy?

$15.00 an hour?

$20.00 an hour?

$30.00 an hour?

$50.00 an hour?

According to you, the higher the minimum wage, the better things are for everyone. So, how high should the minimum wage be taken to?