Faithful Christians abstain from drinking alcohol

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Like I said if the Lord leads you to eat or drink then you should eat or drink. Does the lord want Christians to eat raw bloody meat? Probably not, but if a man believes the Lord wants him to eat raw bloody meat then he should eat to please the Lord and not his medical advisors. If the Lord leads a man to drink alcohol then he should drink alcohol to please the Lord.

Then stop saying that the Bible prohibits drinking.

marke

Why are you denying clear scripture!?

You're not paying attention!

Just read what the master of the feast said about the wine Jesus made!

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it. ”Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece.Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim.And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it.When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom.And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!” - John 2:1-10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John2:1-10&version=NKJV

Jesus made the good stuff!

He didn't make inferior wine!
I did not say non-fermented wine was inferior to wine made with leaven. That is something said by those wanting to justify drinking wine that moves itself aright in the cup.

Proverbs 23:31
Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I did not say non-fermented wine was inferior to wine made with leaven. That is something those wanting to justify drinking wine that moves itself aright in the cup.

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

You don't seem to get it.

The point behind bringing out the good wine at the beginning of a feast, rather than at the end, and then moving to the inferior, was so that your feast-goers would get drunk on the good stuff, so that they wouldn't notice that they were drinking the inferior wine later into the party.

It saves the good wine for when it's needed, and helps use up inferior wine that people likely wouldn't drink otherwise.

Jesus made the good wine LATE into the party! If anything, the wine He made was BETTER than the wine they started out with! Meaning it would have been wine people could easily get drunk on!

Hoping

Banned
Whatever is not of faith is sin. If the Lord leads a Christian to drink then he should drink, but I don't see any scripture leading Christians to drink. The same thing holds true with eating meat. If God leads a Christian to eat meat then he should eat meat. If not then he should not eat meat.

Romans 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
As you can't drink with faith, you had better not drink.

marke

Here is a quote from the above:

Jesus Served Fermented Wine at the Last Supper: Some say that the "fruit of the vine" that Jesus served at the Last Supper was unfermented grape juice. However, it wasn't until 1869 that Thomas Welch (of the grape juice fame) discovered how to prevent grape juice fermenting into wine (using Louis Pasteur's pasteurization process). Passover is in the spring, and the grape harvest is in the summer, and so when Jesus served wine at the Lord's Supper, there is no question that it was wine and not grape juice. As the pastor of DBC, I had the honor of leading a Bible Tour of Greece (call us to get the MP3 CD with photos) and our wonderful local Christian guide, Costas Tsevas, told of his previous group who asked him to get them grape juice for communion and he said he would get them a bottle of wine. They refused this and asked for grape juice and he explained to them that there was no such thing, because as soon as grapes are crushed, the juice begins to ferment into wine. They insisted on going to various grocery stores even though Costas assured them that there was no such thing as grape juice in the Mediterranean where he grew up and lived, only wine. He had quite a laugh when his blessed group celebrated communion with bread and orange juice.

My question: Was the wine Jesus made non-fermented or did it move itself aright and did Jesus look on it in violation to Prov. 23:31?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Here is a quote from the above:

Jesus Served Fermented Wine at the Last Supper: Some say that the "fruit of the vine" that Jesus served at the Last Supper was unfermented grape juice. However, it wasn't until 1869 that Thomas Welch (of the grape juice fame) discovered how to prevent grape juice fermenting into wine (using Louis Pasteur's pasteurization process). Passover is in the spring, and the grape harvest is in the summer, and so when Jesus served wine at the Lord's Supper, there is no question that it was wine and not grape juice. As the pastor of DBC, I had the honor of leading a Bible Tour of Greece (call us to get the MP3 CD with photos) and our wonderful local Christian guide, Costas Tsevas, told of his previous group who asked him to get them grape juice for communion and he said he would get them a bottle of wine. They refused this and asked for grape juice and he explained to them that there was no such thing, because as soon as grapes are crushed, the juice begins to ferment into wine. They insisted on going to various grocery stores even though Costas assured them that there was no such thing as grape juice in the Mediterranean where he grew up and lived, only wine. He had quite a laugh when his blessed group celebrated communion with bread and orange juice.

My question: Was the wine Jesus made non-fermented or did it move itself aright and did Jesus look on it in violation to Prov. 23:31?

The answer is this:

"he explained to them that there was no such thing, because as soon as grapes are crushed, the juice begins to ferment into wine."

marke

No, because there's no prohibition against drinking wine in Proverbs 23:31.
That's not the point. I am saying God says not to look at the wine when it is red and moves aright in the cup. Christians just need to find out if He is talking to them and if so what He means by that instruction.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
That's not the point. I am saying God says not to look at the wine when it is red and moves aright in the cup. Christians just need to find out if He is talking to them and if so what He means by that instruction.

No, he's not saying that at all.

Ripping the verse out of its context has led you to believe that drinking alcohol should be forbidden.

But it's not talking about forbidding alcohol.

It's not even directed at Christians!

It's directed at the following people:

Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?Those who linger long at the wine, Those who go in search of mixed wine. - Proverbs 23:29-30 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs23:29-30&version=NKJV

FOR THOSE PEOPLE:

Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it swirls around smoothly;At the last it bites like a serpent, And stings like a viper.Your eyes will see strange things, And your heart will utter perverse things.Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying:“They have struck me, but I was not hurt; They have beaten me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink? ” - Proverbs 23:31-35 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs23:31-35&version=NKJV

The author is providing wisdom to people "who linger long at the wine" and "who go in search of mixed wine."

In other words, THOSE WHO LIKE TO DRINK OFTEN!

marke

No, he's not saying that at all.

Ripping the verse out of its context has led you to believe that drinking alcohol should be forbidden.

But it's not talking about forbidding alcohol.

It's not even directed at Christians!

It's directed at the following people:

Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?Those who linger long at the wine, Those who go in search of mixed wine. - Proverbs 23:29-30 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs23:29-30&version=NKJV

FOR THOSE PEOPLE:

Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it swirls around smoothly;At the last it bites like a serpent, And stings like a viper.Your eyes will see strange things, And your heart will utter perverse things.Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying:“They have struck me, but I was not hurt; They have beaten me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink? ” - Proverbs 23:31-35 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs23:31-35&version=NKJV

The author is providing wisdom to people "who linger long at the wine" and "who go in search of mixed wine."

In other words, THOSE WHO LIKE TO DRINK OFTEN!
A good Christian friend of mine was a worthless drunk for several years before the Lord helped him quit drinking. He said alcoholism starts with the first drink. We teach our kids not to play with fire. Don't dabble in alcohol because the devil may grab you like a leech and turn you into an alcoholic and you will rue the day you ever took your first drink.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
A good Christian friend of mine was a worthless drunk for several years before the Lord helped him quit drinking. He said alcoholism starts with the first drink. We teach our kids not to play with fire. Don't dabble in alcohol because the devil may grab you like a leech and turn you into an alcoholic and you will rue the day you ever took your first drink.

Good for him. Your anecdotal data point doesn't change the fact that the Bible does not forbid the drinking of alcohol.

marke

Good for him. Your anecdotal data point doesn't change the fact that the Bible does not forbid the drinking of alcohol.
Let every man be persuaded in his own mind.

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Let every man be persuaded in his own mind.

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Which is just you copping out, because you cannot deny that Scripture clearly does not forbid the drinking of alcohol.

You should humble yourself, and learn to admit when you're wrong, when you have been shown to be so.

marke

Which is just you copping out, because you cannot deny that Scripture clearly does not forbid the drinking of alcohol.

You should humble yourself, and learn to admit when you're wrong, when you have been shown to be so.
Maybe you think God's admonition to not look on the wine does not really mean anything, but I do. I sense a message from God that something about wine-bibbing is forbidden although you have not made it clear what is and what is not forbidden.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Maybe you think God's admonition to not look on the wine does not really mean anything,

Of course it means something. But it doesn't mean what you say it means.

but I do.

:yawn:

I sense a message from God that something about wine-bibbing is forbidden

Edit: Correction on my part: wine-bibbing, as GD mentioned on the next page, is being drunk.

although you have not made it clear what is and what is not forbidden.

I have. You've ignored me. Let me repeat myself:

DRUNKENNESS is what's wrong. Not drinking.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Is this some sort of justification for drinking alcoholic beverages? I do not believe we should think God favors alcoholic beverages just because some famous believers in the Bible got drunk or because Jesus turned water into some kind of wine the wedding hosts had never tasted before.

Leviticus 10:9
Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Judges 13:4
Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:

Proverbs 31:4
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Isaiah 5:22
Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Isaiah 28:7
But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

Luke 1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
You're simply confused....preaching law does that every time.