Dr. James Brownson on Same-Sex Marriage

A-Scholten

In 2013 Dr. James Brownson published his book Bible Gender Sexuality:
Reframing the Church's Debate on Same-Sex Relationships
. It remains a top seller on the topic even today.

Have TOL members read this book? If so, what are the general impressions of it?

Thanks!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In 2013 Dr. James Brownson published his book Bible Gender Sexuality:
Reframing the Church's Debate on Same-Sex Relationships
. It remains a top seller on the topic even today.

There may be same-sex relationships, but God doesn't join same-sex partners in marriage.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Oh, pardon me, I just saw this post in another thread.

The approach Dr. Brownson, and some others are taking is that monogamous, same-sex marriage should be accepted by the church.
I disagree with that.
I don't think the Church should accept same-sex marriage.as being something GOD accepts as righteous behavior.
But I do think those folks should be allowed in Church meetings and fellowship.

I don't think the Church should deem that sin as automatically condemning them from eternal life.
After all, we all have sin, and if the Church does not allow folks that sin, then the Church would be empty.
You can allow something without accepting it's premise.

For instance:
GOD wanted marriage to be binding and only terminated by the death of the spouse.
However, due to the hardness of men's hearts, GOD then allowed divorce.

Matthew 19:8 KJV
(8) He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And I do not read Scripture to indicate God gives His approval to relationships either.

Why does it matter?

In this present evil world people do what they want to do for the most part.

It's called fornication.

A-Scholten

I don't think the Church should deem that sin as automatically condemning them from eternal life.
After all, we all have sin, and if the Church does not allow folks that sin, then the Church would be empty.

You make a very good point. We are all sinners. And we need to be quick to be open to welcome people who wrestle with all kinds of temptations.

Perhaps I am taking your comment out of context, not treating it fully, but I also think we need to be careful. God is also just. We need to be prepared to lovingly warn people who are tempted by same-sex attraction. I Corinthians 6:9 does state, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality . . ." Those who are tempted by it and those who practice it are two very different cases. And those who might practice it can turn away from it.

Thanks.

A-Scholten

Why does it matter?

In this present evil world people do what they want to do for the most part.

It's called fornication.

Yes, there is much evil all around. People do basically everything imaginable. Our culture is very prosperous and with prosperity often comes straying away from God. At the same time, the Apostle Paul, who had Christians put to death was converted by the Spirit. St. Augustine's mother prayed for him for 30 years. There is always hope.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, there is much evil all around. People do basically everything imaginable. Our culture is very prosperous and with prosperity often comes straying away from God. At the same time, the Apostle Paul, who had Christians put to death was converted by the Spirit. St. Augustine's mother prayed for him for 30 years. There is always hope.

"Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age." (Galatians 1:3-4)

Our hope is the manifestation of Jesus Christ.

Epoisses

Christ often used the things of nature to reveal spiritual truth. Do animals have same-sex marriages?

NO THEY DONT!!!!!!

We could learn from the animals.....Wally the beaver likes Sally the beaver not Harry the beaver!

A-Scholten

Christ often used the things of nature to reveal spiritual truth. Do animals have same-sex marriages?

NO THEY DONT!!!!!!

We could learn from the animals.....Wally the beaver likes Sally the beaver not Harry the beaver!

Sometimes we as humans make things way too difficult, don't we?