Donna and the Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

Why...

Why...

did anyone really say that?

Why don't you try answering a question once in a while?
You get to sit on the fence and sharp-shoot everyone else for answers while never really showing your own hand.
The Graphite stated that God only gave permission to our lawful governors to enact the death penalty. He states that no where in the Bible does God grant permission to imprison people as punishment. What is the logical conclusion to those statements?

bybee

Indeed

Indeed

Yet again, incorrect.

Bybee, why do you find it so difficult to simply take God's scripture for what it says?
  • Some crimes warrant restitution (including above and beyond what was lost, damaged or stolen)
  • Some crimes warrant flogging
  • Some crimes warrant the death penalty
  • Some crimes warrant a combination of these

If you aren't aware that scripture puts forth any of the above, then I suggest you read the Bible in these areas before trying to debate this issue. If you are aware of the scriptures that explicitly state the above, then don't be facetious or disingenuous and act like you aren't.

An eye for an eye.
Polygamy
Slavery
Dietary prohibitions
Stoning to the death by the whole community

Is it disingenuous of me to disagree with You?
I am not debating. I am doing exactly what you are doing, stating.
Based on your statements I asked you a question. What is the answer?
You stated that no where in Scripture does God grant permission for imprisonment. We have thousands of people in prison. What is to be done about this?

Glenda

You stated that no where in Scripture does God grant permission for imprisonment. We have thousands of people in prison. What is to be done about this?
LEV 24:12 And they put him in ward, that the mind of the LORD might be showed them.
NUM 15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

prison was biblically practiced while God's judgment was being sought regarding the interred person.

Waiting in prison is better than suffering a death penalty for any who are innocent of a crime yet been wrongly convicted (eg the Hurricane).

Those in jail should probably be doing something beneficially constructive ... those who are innocent would benefit from an activity benefitting themselves and the community and those who are found guilty could actually aid in compensating for their offence ... actually 'pay' for their crime in some way? Compensation is biblical, as is a guilty person losing their freedom and 'paying' for their offence. Capital punishment was biblically rarely practiced, even although the judges were allowed to implement it according to Law... same as 'an eye for an eye' wasn't the norm ... financial compensation was the norm, paid in 'work' by a person who gave up their right to freedom.

If criminals had to 'work' in jail, there could be less criminals, since many do crime, eg robbery, to avoid real work?

Status
Not open for further replies.