Does the word all always mean everyone without exception ?

beloved57

Many of the opponents to limited particular atonement use as their proof texts, scriptures containing the word all. However does the word all as used in our redemptive passages mean all without exception ? We will look a scriptures that use the word all and determine if it means all and everyone without exception. Lets look first at the word here:

Matt 8:16

16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all[pas] that were sick:

Now did Christ heal all men in the world that lived at that time ? Think about that ! Or does it seem more reasonable to suppose that He healed only , all that came or were brought to him ?

Tigger 2

The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament by Kittel and Friedrich (abridged in one volume by G.W. Bromiley) tells us of this word in the ancient Greek translation of the OT (the Septuagint): "In many passages, of course, the use is rhetorical". And in the NT this esteemed work tells us of the word "all" that it is often "used in the NT simply to denote a great number," not literally "all." -pp. 796, 797, Eerdmans, 1992 reprint.

And Dr. Young wrote in the foreword ("Hints and Helps to Bible Interpretation") of his well-known Bible Concordance:

"Some particles such as ALL, are frequently used for SOME or MOST, e.g., Matt. 3:5; 26:52 [even King David?]; 1 Cor. 6:12; Col. 3:22" Young's Analytical Concordance of the Bible, Eerdmans, 1978 reprint.

(Also see p. 97, vol.1, The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, Eerdmans, 1984; examine Isaiah 44:24)

We find at Ephesians 4:6 that there is - "one God and Father of all" (NRSV). Obviously God here is not the father of himself. Again, the subject ("God") is excluded from the word "all." It is clearly understood to mean that God is the Father [Creator] of all other things.

And we find NEB; REB; NJB; NAB ('91); GNB; and LB (for example) have honestly added "other" at Ezek. 31:5 to show that a certain tree towered above "all other trees" whereas KJV, NASB, RSV (for example) have it towering "above all trees." Since it does not tower above itself, the Bible writer obviously excluded it from the phrase "all trees."

In Matthew 10:22, Jesus tells his followers: "and you will be hated by all because of my name." - NRSV. Certainly, Jesus didn't mean that his true followers would be hated by Jesus himself or God. And most certainly he didn't mean they would be hated by themselves!

Bradley D

The scripture deals with those that were brought to Jesus. I believe you have a further point to make with the word "all."

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

everyone
πᾶς (pas)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

beloved57

Paul said once 1 Cor 10:33

33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Can Paul have meant he pleased all men without exception ? What of those people he never met or came into any contact with ?

He said he pleased all men in all things ! What about things unlawful ? 1 Cor 10:23

23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

beloved57

When scripture declares God would pour out of His Spirit upon all flesh , did that mean all people without exception ? Note Acts 2:17

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Is not the word all restricted to denote not every individual person, but upon some of all sorts, ages, and degrees.