Does anyone have......

Minerva

I have started tutoring the children (3rd grade) that I mentioned in another thread. I had a conference with the idiots at the school today and I have been told that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass. I am going to try anyway of course. My question is this...I have only 4 weeks or so until school is out ( I know, why didn't someone mention that they needed help a little earlier right) anyway...all they do at the school is math and reading (seriously...no art music hostory science...nothing) I have the reading part covered. What I need is math worksheets. There are many sites available that offer them but they cost money. Does anyone mind sharing a password to one of these sites that offer math worksheets? I am having a hard time finding the ones I need for free and time is limited. If anyone has a password they don't mind sharing I would appreciate it or just a good site with free math worksheets for 3rd grade would be great. I don't know if asking for a password is rude or not,:noid: so if I offended anyone I didn't intend to. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nerva

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Here are a few of my thoughts about your post. I know you probably don't care...but I will give them anyway. I am a math teacher and regarding your statement:

"I had a conference with the idiots at the school today and I have been told that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass. I am going to try anyway of course. My question is this...I have only 4 weeks or so until school is out ( I know, why didn't someone mention that they needed help a little earlier right) anyway..."

Do you think the people at the school are "idiots" because of (1) they said that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass or (2) because they have "failed" to get these kids to pass?

I ask the question because I too have students (with four weeks of school left) that have no chance of passing some of my classes. I have repeatedly been in contact with their parents, the students, the counselors, and whoever else would listen to get them to come in and get help. They failed to do so and now...regardless of what they do...they cannot pass my class.

Also, I have students who are on the border of passing (and have been so for quite some time) who are just NOW seeking help when I have been on them to get help for MONTHS. Somehow I am supposed to see their "efforts" in these final weeks, have pity on them, and "give" them the grade they think they deserve. Just last week I received a phone call from a tutor. One of my students is JUST NOW seeking a tutor (again...with four weeks of school left) despite my pleas to the parents for their child to get help months ago. I was asked if the student had any chance of passing. I simply said "no". That doesn't make me an idiot...it's just the facts of the matter.

In regards to the math worksheets. If it is 3rd grade math then a worksheet should not be difficult to make on your own. However, I am sure that you have searched the web but just in case you have missed the following site...it allows to you generate your own math worksheets.

http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/

I am not sure what the third graders do in math (I teach High School) but here is another site with basic operations:

http://www.lizardpoint.com/math/mathsheet.html

And another with more complex worksheets:

http://www.aplusmath.com/Worksheets/index.html

Also, there is a site that has virtual manipulatives for all grades. A manipulative is just a fancy word for using objects to "see" a math concept. It may or may not be helpful. The site is:

http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html

Don't know if any will be helpful but you can check them out.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have started tutoring the children (3rd grade) that I mentioned in another thread. I had a conference with the idiots at the school today and I have been told that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass. I am going to try anyway of course. My question is this...I have only 4 weeks or so until school is out ( I know, why didn't someone mention that they needed help a little earlier right) anyway...all they do at the school is math and reading (seriously...no art music hostory science...nothing) I have the reading part covered. What I need is math worksheets. There are many sites available that offer them but they cost money. Does anyone mind sharing a password to one of these sites that offer math worksheets? I am having a hard time finding the ones I need for free and time is limited. If anyone has a password they don't mind sharing I would appreciate it or just a good site with free math worksheets for 3rd grade would be great. I don't know if asking for a password is rude or not,:noid: so if I offended anyone I didn't intend to. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nerva

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/grade_3.php
http://www.mathfactcafe.com/view/view.aspx?vid=600&t=P&g=3
This one has math, science, English, and history printables.

If you don't want to just teach math and reading, you might want to look into unit studies. They center five topics (math, reading, history, science, and spelling) around one subject, usually lasting six to nine weeks. One of my favorite sites for unit studies is Amanda Bennet's Unit Studies. You might like Steward Ship Interactive Learning, too.

Personally, since you're so close to the end of the school year, I would suggest giving your kids the rest of the year and summer to "detox" from public school. Just take the summer to enjoy your kids and start fresh in September. If you need any help, let me know via PM or e-mail. I've designed and helped design curriculum based on the needs of the parents and/or the children. I like to help people getting started with homeschooling. :)

Minerva

Here are a few of my thoughts about your post. I know you probably don't care...but I will give them anyway. I am a math teacher and regarding your statement:

"I had a conference with the idiots at the school today and I have been told that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass. I am going to try anyway of course. My question is this...I have only 4 weeks or so until school is out ( I know, why didn't someone mention that they needed help a little earlier right) anyway..."

Do you think the people at the school are "idiots" because of (1) they said that there is very very little chance that these kids can pass or (2) because they have "failed" to get these kids to pass?

I think these people are idiots because (3) I have spoken with them several times and they fail to meet the standard requirements of what a normal person should be much less an educator. They have been asked by the parent on several ocassions to provide specifics on what their childrens weaker areas are and have failed repeatedly to do so. I think they are idiots because they offer no other curricular activities outside of math and reading and spend the day doing worksheets copied off of the tests that the students are given that determine how much funding the school recieves. (and they are idiots to the point that I didn't have to figure that out on my own, they told me with much nonchalance) I think they are idiots because the only reason they are even teaching at the school is because all the teachers with good sense have left because they could no longer tolerate the absurdities taking place within the school. I think they are idiots for much greater reasons than this, of which I have not the time to explain to you. You have to understand that I live in a VERY rural community and the school is very small and what funding it does have is being guzzled up by the crooked people who are running this school. I never in my life imagined there could even be a school open that was so poorly educating children.

So, do not be confused, I am not an ignorant person and I do not pass judgement on people based on unfounded evidence and nonsense.

I ask the question because I too have students (with four weeks of school left) that have no chance of passing some of my classes. I have repeatedly been in contact with their parents, the students, the counselors, and whoever else would listen to get them to come in and get help. They failed to do so and now...regardless of what they do...they cannot pass my class.

I am glad that you are a concerned teacher, sadly everyone is not as you calim to be.

Also, I have students who are on the border of passing (and have been so for quite some time) who are just NOW seeking help when I have been on them to get help for MONTHS. Somehow I am supposed to see their "efforts" in these final weeks, have pity on them, and "give" them the grade they think they deserve. Just last week I received a phone call from a tutor. One of my students is JUST NOW seeking a tutor (again...with four weeks of school left) despite my pleas to the parents for their child to get help months ago. I was asked if the student had any chance of passing. I simply said "no". That doesn't make me an idiot...it's just the facts of the matter.

I could care less who cried help first or when in this situation. All I know is that I have been presented with two children who are greatly in need of some help, by whos fault it is does not concern me at this point. And quite frankly, if these children work hard to bring up their grades and continue to work as hard as they have been for me, (well, for themselves....) then I very much expect the school to give them a chance to make up some tests or whatever they will allow them to do, in order to EARN not just GET a passing grade. It isn't the childrens fault that someone hasn't taken the time needed with them up to this point. The point is, that if they work hard, they should be rewarded for their efforts and if they can pass the tests that they failed on previously then they will have EARNED the right to pass to the next grade.

In regards to the math worksheets. If it is 3rd grade math then a worksheet should not be difficult to make on your own. However, I am sure that you have searched the web but just in case you have missed the following site...it allows to you generate your own math worksheets.

I could make them on my own but I do not have the time. I have 4 children of my own and a house to take care of and dinner and cleaning and a million other things going on. Much easier to print out some that are already suitable. I have searched the web and found several things, but I love to have more than enough resources at hand and I thought it would be efficient to ask others who might already have good sources to point me in the right direction.

http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/

I am not sure what the third graders do in math (I teach High School) but here is another site with basic operations:

http://www.lizardpoint.com/math/mathsheet.html

And another with more complex worksheets:

http://www.aplusmath.com/Worksheets/index.html

Also, there is a site that has virtual manipulatives for all grades. A manipulative is just a fancy word for using objects to "see" a math concept. It may or may not be helpful. The site is:

http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the links, I am sure they will be helpful! :)

Don't know if any will be helpful but you can check them out.

Minerva

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/grade_3.php
http://www.mathfactcafe.com/view/view.aspx?vid=600&t=P&g=3
This one has math, science, English, and history printables.

If you don't want to just teach math and reading, you might want to look into unit studies. They center five topics (math, reading, history, science, and spelling) around one subject, usually lasting six to nine weeks. One of my favorite sites for unit studies is Amanda Bennet's Unit Studies. You might like Steward Ship Interactive Learning, too.

Personally, since you're so close to the end of the school year, I would suggest giving your kids the rest of the year and summer to "detox" from public school. Just take the summer to enjoy your kids and start fresh in September. If you need any help, let me know via PM or e-mail. I've designed and helped design curriculum based on the needs of the parents and/or the children. I like to help people getting started with homeschooling. :)

I would love to teach these kids a million things other than math and reading but there's no point in it with so little time left in the year and since they need so much help already. As for my own kids...we are going to learn EVERYTHING and anything! My own kids raen't the ones who are in trouble of failing, the kids who are in need of the help are two kids who live close by whos mother and father work and they are friends with my children. I am just helping out becasue I can.

My children and I are always learning new things, the kids are like little knowledge sponges and my daughter LOVES to study anything (shes 7 ) always with a school book in hand because to her, that's fun. My kids have been begging me to start homeschooling, they are so burned out on the horrible "un-education" that they are getting at their so called school that they can't wait to actually LEARN something. They definitely need a permanent break from the public school situation here. I can't wait to get started either to be honest, I am excited more and more every day. My mother had 4 huge boxes of books from homeschooling my brother that start at grade 4, which is just what I need, so I have a good head start. I am sure I will still have questions though, I am always full of those, so thanks for the offer of help!:chuckle:

THANK YOU for the links, I appreciate you taking time to post them!

:cheers: