ECT DID THE ROMAN CHURCH FALL INTO APOSTASY?

Cruciform

Did the Roman Church Fall Into Heresy and Apostasy?
At the time of the Apostles, the Church at Rome is orthodox, and famously faithful: St. Paul praises them for it (Romans 1:8-9), and greets them on behalf of the global Church. Yet the Protestant case requires claiming that sometime, somehow, this Church fell into apostasy, or at least heresy. If you're going to claim that, St. Edmund Campion (d. 1581) has some questions for you:
"When then did Rome lose this faith so highly celebrated? When did she cease to be what she was before? At what time, under what Pontiff, by what way, by what compulsion, by what increments, did a foreign religion come to pervade city and world? What outcries, what disturbances, what lamentations did it provoke? Were all mankind all over the rest of the world lulled to sleep, while Rome, Rome I say, was forging new Sacraments, a new Sacrifice, new religious dogma? Has there been found no historian, neither Greek nor Latin, neither far nor near, to fling out in his chronicles even an obscure hint of so remarkable a proceeding?"

http://catholicdefense.blogspot.it/2014/12/reason-7-to-reject-reformation-history.html

oatmeal

At the time of the Apostles, the Church at Rome is orthodox, and famously faithful: St. Paul praises them for it (Romans 1:8-9), and greets them on behalf of the global Church. Yet the Protestant case requires claiming that sometime, somehow, this Church fell into apostasy, or at least heresy. If you're going to claim that, St. Edmund Campion (d. 1581) has some questions for you:
"When then did Rome lose this faith so highly celebrated? When did she cease to be what she was before? At what time, under what Pontiff, by what way, by what compulsion, by what increments, did a foreign religion come to pervade city and world? What outcries, what disturbances, what lamentations did it provoke? Were all mankind all over the rest of the world lulled to sleep, while Rome, Rome I say, was forging new Sacraments, a new Sacrifice, new religious dogma? Has there been found no historian, neither Greek nor Latin, neither far nor near, to fling out in his chronicles even an obscure hint of so remarkable a proceeding?"

http://catholicdefense.blogspot.it/2014/12/reason-7-to-reject-reformation-history.html

Yes

I drank what?

I thought the Roman Catholic Church IS the apostasy? too obvious?

Question: Why are we still beating this DEAD HORSE thousands of years later??? Are humans incapable of learning?!

/rant over

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Yes.

DAN P

At the time of the Apostles, the Church at Rome is orthodox, and famously faithful: St. Paul praises them for it (Romans 1:8-9),

Hi , and in Rom 1:8 , where does it say that Paul praises the RCC is just AMUSING ,

Paul was not a RC , and why do you not say that PETER praises the RCC , BECAUSE there is none !!:rotfl:

dan p

whitestone

It's probably best to read the words of the fourth bishop of Rome it's self and determine if he saw himself as over every Church or if he taught an exact order of bishops set forth by God "did he consider himself over the church at Corinth(read ch.42,43,44,ect),?", http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1010.htm

Cruciform

I thought the Roman Catholic Church IS the apostasy? too obvious? Question: Why are we still beating this DEAD HORSE thousands of years later??? Are humans incapable of learning?!
I'll take that as an admission of your inability (or unwillingness) to provide the information requested in the OP.

HisServant

Once again, this is based on the assumption that the Roman church is THE church... which is a matter of faith and not a matter of history.

The church in Rome is not the church referenced in scriptures... never has been and never will be... in spite of 1.3 billion Catholics wishing it were so... its a false assumption.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Once again, this is based on the assumption that the Roman church is THE church... which is a matter of faith and not a matter of history.

The church in Rome is not the church referenced in scriptures... never has been and never will be... in spite of 1.3 billion Catholics wishing it were so... its a false assumption.

so where is this church referenced in scriptures?

SaulToPaul 2

At the time of the Apostles, the Church at Rome is orthodox, and famously faithful: St. Paul praises them for it (Romans 1:8-9),

Why weren't they established?

Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

SaulToPaul 2

they were not saved

Thou hast well said. That's why Paul wanted to preach the gospel to them.

Romans 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Thou hast well said. That's why Paul wanted to preach the gospel to them.

Romans 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

why do you think you are saved?