Did Jesus and God Make a Deal with the Devil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pate

Banned
Calvinist do not believe that Jesus atoned for the sins of the whole world. Even though the scriptures say that he did.

"And he is a propitiation for our sins: and not ours only, BUT ALSO FOR THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD" 1 John 2:2.

"But we see Jesus who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor, THAT HE BY THE GRACE OF GOD SHOULD TASTE DEATH FOR EVERYONE" Hebrews 2:9.

Now my question is this. Did Jesus and God make some sort of a deal with the devil? Calvinist believe that their sins were atoned for because they believe that they are the elect, chosen from the foundation of the world, even though there is no scripture that says that. What the scripture does say is that God has chosen all of humanity in his Son Jesus Christ, Ephesians 1:3-6.

Now there are some pretty smart Calvinist on the Forum that should be able to explain to us how God and Jesus made a deal with the devil, so that their sins were atoned for, but no one else, even though the scripture says that Jesus "Tasted death for everyone". I have read through the Canons of Dort and there does not seem to be an answer as to how Jesus atoned for some sins, but not all sins.

fishrovmen

Calvinist do not believe that Jesus atoned for the sins of the whole world. Even though the scriptures say that he did.

"And he is a propitiation for our sins: and not ours only, BUT ALSO FOR THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD" 1 John 2:2.

"But we see Jesus who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor, THAT HE BY THE GRACE OF GOD SHOULD TASTE DEATH FOR EVERYONE" Hebrews 2:9.

Now my question is this. Did Jesus and God make some sort of a deal with the devil? Calvinist believe that their sins were atoned for because they believe that they are the elect, chosen from the foundation of the world, even though there is no scripture that says that. What the scripture does say is that God has chosen all of humanity in his Son Jesus Christ, Ephesians 1:3-6.

Now there are some pretty smart Calvinist on the Forum that should be able to explain to us how God and Jesus made a deal with the devil, so that their sins were atoned for, but no one else, even though the scripture says that Jesus "Tasted death for everyone". I have read through the Canons of Dort and there does not seem to be an answer as to how Jesus atoned for some sins, but not all sins.

I wouldn't expect any takers for your shewthreads.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate's Yet Another "Calvinists believe..." Thread

Robert Pate's Yet Another "Calvinists believe..." Thread

Robert,

I have no doubt that the inspired writer of Ecc. 1:9 had you in mind.

Here we have yet another of your vitriolic "Calvinists believe..." threads related to the atonement of Jesus Christ. Perhaps you should spend more time actually digesting the responses you have been given time and again rather that resurrecting the same well-worn topics in which you have been thoroughly answered. Unfortunately, each and every time when you have been answered, you wave off with scoffing, "Hogwash!", etc., then just move onward, never taking the time to stand still to defend cross-examination of your assertions. The result is yet another thread started by you as if nothing has come before.

Clearly, not all are saved, hence some condition must exist for there being saved. That condition is faith, the instrument by which all are saved. Our Lord's death was for all those that believe upon Him and His active and passive obedience unto death and resurrection. The believing ones. The atonement was actual, not potential. The atonement was not your hypothetical univeralism:
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...Gospel-Works&p=5068917&viewfull=1#post5068917

Note: the link to the thread above is proof enough of my opening complaint about your redundancy, Robert. You start a thread like this one when the topic has been enjoined elsewhere, yet you abandon the discussion with the usual wave-offs.

Our Lord plainly states, that His blood is poured out for “many,” not for “all” (Matt. 26:28). Many does not mean all. Please reconcile this plain teaching with your odd claim that Our Lord died (shed His blood) for all, especially when Our Lord pointedly contradicts your assertions.

What follows is explanatory of the verses you merely cite and declare victory without any attempt to explain the pretext of your proof texting.

And not for ours only is added by John for the sake of amplifying, in order that the faithful might be assured that the expiation made by Jesus Christ, extends to all who by faith embrace the gospel.

Here the question is asked, How have the sins of the whole world been expiated?

I will ignore the notions of fanatics, who under this pretense imply the extension of salvation to all the reprobate, and therefore to Satan himself. Such a monstrous thing deserves no refutation.

No they who seek to avoid such absurdities have said that Jesus Christ suffered sufficiently for the whole world, but efficiently only for the elect. This solution has commonly prevailed. While I admit that what has been said is true, I deny that it is suitable to this passage; for the design of John was no other than to make this benefit common to the whole Church. Then under the word all or whole, John does not include the reprobate, but designates those who should believe as well as those who were then scattered through various parts of the world. Thus it is really made evident, the grace of Christ, when it is declared to be the only true salvation of the world.

But we see Jesus, etc. Given the meaning of the words, "a little" is ambiguous, the author of Hebrews looks to the thing itself, as exhibited in the person of Jesus Christ, rather then to the exact meaning of the words, and the author presents to our meditation the glory after the resurrection, which David extends to all the gifts by which man is adorned by God's bounty. There is no doubt but that the expression is capable of being understood as "little" in degree, or as "little" in time; but in the Psalm 8:5 the former is evidently the meaning, and there is no reason for a different meaning here. Christ, in becoming man, assumed a nature inferior to that of angels, a human nature. The inferiority of nature is admitted, but that inferiority is as it were compensated by a superiority of honor and glory.

For the suffering of death, etc. It is the same as though it was said that Jesus Christ, having passed through death, was exalted into the glory which He has obtained, according to what Paul teaches us in Php 2:8-10; not that Christ obtained anything for Himself individually.

That he by the grace of God, etc. Here the author of Hebrews refers to the cause and the fruit of Christ's death, avoiding the risk of thinking that Our Lord should be thought to detract anything from His dignity. For when we hear that so much good has been obtained for us, there is no place left for contempt, for admiration of the divine goodness fills the whole mind.

By saying for every man (everyone), the author means not only that Jesus Christ might be ample to others, as in the example of a physician tasting first a bitter concoction, that the patient might not refuse to drink it; but the author means that Christ died for us, and that by taking upon Him what was due to us, He redeemed us from the curse of death. This was done through the grace of God, for the cause of redemption was the infinite love of God towards us, through which it was that God spared not even his own Son.

Finally, no one should be holding to some ransom paid to the devil theory of the atonement, so I have ignored your nonsensical deal with the devil comments.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
AMR

Another thousand word smoke screen. You did not answer the question. All that you did was try to refute God's word. The word of God still stands and it stands against you and your phony Calvinist doctrine. God gave us the Bible for a reason, the reason is so that we can have the truth. You apparently think that something is wrong with it because it does not compliment your phony doctrine.

Jesus also said, "I came not to judge the world, but to save the world" John 12:47.

Jesus is the savior of the whole world. In God's eyes, Jesus has atoned for the sins of the whole world. If Jesus did not atone for the sins of the whole world and is not the savior of the whole world, then Jesus is not Lord. The Bible plainly teaches that salvation has been provided for everyone. "That he by the grace of God has tasted death for EVERYONE, Hebrews 2:9. Not just someone. Jesus is Lord and he is Lord over sin, death and the devil. All sin has been atoned for. To say that it isn't is to say that Jesus is not Lord and is a failure.

I doubt very much that you will see heaven. What you believe about God and what you believe about Jesus shows that you don't have faith in either one of them. You believe that your Calvinist God predestinates people to hell before they are born. What a horrible thing to believe about God. You would be better off to be an atheist in the judgment, atleast the atheist does not blasphemy God like you do. And then if that was not bad enough you say that Jesus did not atone for the sins of the world, making him a failure.

All through the Bible salvation is by grace through faith. Wake up man, you are void of faith. You don't have saving faith. What you have faith in is a doctrine that was conceived by a heretic back in the 1500's. Unless you repent and trust in Christ as your savior you will most certainly perish.

john w

Hall of Fame
Robert,

I have no doubt that the inspired writer of Ecc. 1:9 had you in mind.
No scripture says that the "writer"(s)/men/women, are "inspired."

All scripture is given by inspiration.

Why did you make that up? Rhetorical q-you did not study, survey the scriptures, re. this issue.

Wick Stick

Why did you make that up? Rhetorical q-you did not study, survey the scriptures, re. this issue.
Man, I hate agreeing with John, but he's got a point. It probably goes doubly for Ecclesiastes, since its purpose is to act as an exemplar of worldly wisdom, and then show the futility of worldly wisdom.

Robert Pate

Banned

That is the least of his problems.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Perhaps you misunderstood or I have not made myself clear.

I am particular in distinguishing between writer and author when it comes to Scripture. All Scripture is superintended by God the Holy Spirit. In fact, I am quite the dictation theorist when it comes to this. The author of Scripture is God. The writer of Scripture, is the one whose name is attached to that section, whether known or unknown. You will not find me claiming Paul is the author, of say, Romans. He is the superintended writer of Romans. God is the author.

The Holy Spirit supernaturally gave the words to the men. The words were such that they would have been understood according to the penman's cultural background, learning, etc., but the words themselves were given or communicated by the Holy Spirit. This can go under the names of "dictation" or "suggestion," but more properly "immediate inspiration." It is often erroneously called the mechanical theory by its detractors.

And to short-circuit the objector, this dictation view is nothing like the Islamic view of dictation. Islamic dictation is external, static, and unrelated to history, whereas Christian dictation is internal, dynamic, and historically progressive: holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. According to the old view of these matters all the words are immediately given by God, whereas the sad new view posits the medium of the writers' psychological, social, intellectual, religious and emotional state and allows for degrees of inspiration. Nonsense.

AMR

Reactions: Lon

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR

Another thousand word smoke screen.
I sincerely hope the observer sees in this rejoinder from Robert what I have called to attention in my response to his opening post.

I provide ample explanation of the verses he has used as proof texts. Rather than take up my response substantively, Robert merely adopts his usual vitriolic stance, including assignment of me to eternal perdition, while hopscotching to yet more verses. Robert really has no intention of engaging in these many threads he starts. He only wants to blog about his favorite hobby horses.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
I sincerely hope the observer sees in this rejoinder from Robert what I have called to attention in my response to his opening post.

I provide ample explanation of the verses he has used as proof texts. Rather than take up my response substantively, Robert merely adopts his usual vitriolic stance, including assignment of me to eternal perdition, while hopscotching to yet more verses. Robert really has no intention of engaging in these many threads he starts. He only wants to blog about his favorite hobby horses.

AMR

There is no scripture anywhere in the Bible that says God predestinates people to heaven or to hell. If it were a true doctrine the Bible would be full of it, there is nothing. The word "predestinate" only appears in the New Testament 4 times and not in the Old Testament at all. What does appear in the Bible many times is the word "Faith". Paul said that we are "Justified by Faith" Romans 5:1. Faith is subjective, it is something that we do. God does not give us faith so that we will believe the Gospel. It is a natural human attribute that we are all born with. We have faith in our parents and in others and then when we hear the Gospel and believe it we have faith in Christ. This is what Paul meant when he said, "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. Everyone that was saved in the New Testament were saved by hearing and believing the Gospel.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no scripture anywhere in the Bible that says God predestinates people to heaven or to hell.
Robert,

How can anyone give your views any serious consideration in view of your terribly low opinion of Scripture:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...or-Predestination/page3&p=4402162#post4402162

As I have made clear in this yet another redundant thread you have created, you have no interest in actually directly interacting with the responses you receive unless they are just agreeing with your odd views, not the least of which is what you think predestination means:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...redestinated&p=4851757&viewfull=1#post4851757

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...Christianity&p=5110002&viewfull=1#post5110002

Again, I note to the lurkers the plain fact that Robert has been engaged on this matter time and again, yet he continues to claim no "smart Calvinists" have been able to answer him. The fact of the matter is that Robert is unwilling to consider the answers he has been given, digest them, and provide substantive responses to the same. A "response" in Robert's mind, is to just dismiss all responses, rejoinders, surrejoinders, etc., then move along with liberally seasoned rhetoric in the hope no one will notice what he is really all about.

This is why something like the following would be nice to see:
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...n-s-Religion&p=5132291&viewfull=1#post5132291

AMR

Zeke

Foundation of your world that is, The only devil/death is a dualistic mind/conscience, our Father sees no evil because there is no duality in that One Spirit.

Zeke

Not sure what you are saying. Please elaborate.

So why did our Father forbid partaking of good and evil? because its a two edge sword that cuts both ways which is why we have tribulation in this world of good and evil and why Christ said his kingdom isn't of this world under that law of duality, the spirit of the law isn't a respecter of person your every thought dictates the world you create with them, putting on the Christ mind that judges no man is no longer under that law, love defangs it, so when we judge in deed or thought it is sustained by that energy, which is why Christ said take no thought, and love your enemy and neighbor because they are perception of good and evil that only have power if we judge them, good and evil two sides of the same coin, the way of liberty an unconditional mentality of the truth that religion knows little about just like in the story of Christ he called them the blind leading the blind on the broadway kept busy by/through judgement, so Calvinism isn't evil you want to make it, its still from a dual minded foundation like all traditional doctrines of men but it has no real substance or power other than more mental division that is just another image of the same coin.

Robert Pate

Banned
So why did our Father forbid partaking of good and evil? because its a two edge sword that cuts both ways which is why we have tribulation in this world of good and evil and why Christ said his kingdom isn't of this world under that law of duality, the spirit of the law isn't a respecter of person your every thought dictates the world you create with them, putting on the Christ mind that judges no man is no longer under that law, love defangs it, so when we judge in deed or thought it is sustained by that energy, which is why Christ said take no thought, and love your enemy and neighbor because they are perception of good and evil that only have power if we judge them, good and evil two sides of the same coin, the way of liberty an unconditional mentality of the truth that religion knows little about just like in the story of Christ he called them the blind leading the blind on the broadway kept busy by/through judgement, so Calvinism isn't evil you want to make it, its still from a dual minded foundation like all traditional doctrines of men but it has no real substance or power other than more mental division that is just another image of the same coin.

God hates sin and evil because of what it does to us. This is why he sent Jesus into the world to atone for it and abolish it. In the world to come there will not be any sin or evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.