Defending God's Honor

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Thx for the spell check. It shows how much time I spend reading errors. I do see the value in the argument for the way free will is defined by the Calvinist so I like thinking about it, man does not have unlimited free will.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
But I don't want to walk down the limited atonement path because it can go on and on and I cannot receive that teaching (my conscience won't allow it).

Here's how I balance God's sovereignty with man's will.

God self limited His sovereignty by providing divine enablement in us (elect). That enabling gives us the desire to seek, call and believe on Him. Now that we are enabled we can exercise our will that without enablement has no ability to desire, call and believe God. So god still makes the first move in salvation (he elects based on His choice and not based on pre knowing who'd believe) and the elect exercise their will and are saved by grace thru faith in Christ alone.

That's the best I can do.

Christian Liberty

But I don't want to walk down the limited atonement path because it can go on and on and I cannot receive that teaching (my conscience won't allow it).

We shouldn't refrain from discussing Scripture just because we may not like the conclusions:)

How does limited atonement "go on and on"?

God self limited His sovereignty by providing divine enablement in us (elect). That enabling gives us the desire to seek, call and believe on Him. Now that we are enabled we can exercise our will that without enablement has no ability to desire, call and believe God. So god still makes the first move in salvation (he elects based on His choice and not based on pre knowing who'd believe) and the elect exercise their will and are saved by grace thru faith in Christ alone.

OK, so you seem like you would agree with Total Depravity (Man's nature is so sinful that he cannot seek Christ on his own), Unconditional Election (Being elect is not conditional on any act of man), Irresistible Grace (An elect, once regenerated, will not resist God's grace) and Perseverance of the Saints (Those who are chosen will persevere.)

What exactly is your problem with Limited Atonement?

Your current position is illogical because it suggests that Christ failed to save all who he died for. You are claiming that, while God monergistically saves sinners, he also died for the non-elect, in other words, his blood is not completely effecacious to save.

Christian Liberty

I think that God enabled all me to be savable
*men

That contradicts what you just said.

Are you a 4-point Calvinist or an Arminian? Not to pigeonhole, but the differences between the two are pretty abrupt. Arminians generally will admit that God takes the first step to make men savable, but they deny that he completes the process.

Is it that you don't think its fair?

Well, I do think double jeopardy would be unjust, and I do think it slanders Christ (Although perhaps unintentionally) to say that his death was in vain for most. But that's not my only argument.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I don't know how to break up the quotes
So the arminian first:
They take the first step whether they admit that or not because God looks into the future and elects based on man's choice not God.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
That contradicts what you just said.

Are you a 4-point Calvinist or an Arminian? Not to pigeonhole, but the differences between the two are pretty abrupt. Arminians generally will admit that God takes the first step to make men savable, but they deny that he completes the process.

Well, I do think double jeopardy would be unjust, and I do think it slanders Christ (Although perhaps unintentionally) to say that his death was in vain for most. But that's not my only argument.

I don't see it a problem for all men to be savable but some are passed over. That could include infant mortality. It definitely includes those who've never heard the gospel. That's not fair?

Christian Liberty

I don't see it a problem for all men to be savable but some are passed over. That could include infant mortality. It definitely includes those who've never heard the gospel. That's not fair?

I don't actually understand your position at all. At first I thought you were an Amyraldian, but now you're jumping back and forth.

Explain to me what you believe, and then I'll address it.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

See above

Christian Liberty

Based on the bolded comment above, I'd say you're a 4-pointer (A 5-pointer could also make a statement like you made, but I know for certain you reject limited atonement since you have said so), but you also said you believe God "made all men savable." Which contradicts what you say here.

Are you referrng to Amyraldian hypothetical universalism?

(Logging off, get back to this tomorrow.)

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Sorry dude xfactor on, I'll try and think harder about it. I just didn't like people claiming you weren't saved because of Calvinism.