Death wish remake

fool

Hall of Fame
I will clarify.

Chicago has had the highest sustained homicide rate over the past 25 years of any major urban center, and that rate spiked in the last few years.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-5.48.03-PM.png

So nice to see a homicide chart that doesn't have Detroit on it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Musty writes:
Chicago has had the highest sustained homicide rate over the past 25 years of any major urban center, and that rate spiked in the last few years.

Notice that the rate goes up and down over the years (contrary to your claim) and that even if you cherry-pick the highest recent year, it's lower than it was 20 years ago.

In fact, Chicago doesn't even make the top 20 metropolitan areas in terms of homicides in the United States.

Would you like me to show you that?
You're actually defending Chicago and their brutal murder rates?

fool

Hall of Fame
Musty writes:

Notice that the rate goes up and down over the years (contrary to your claim) and that even if you cherry-pick the highest recent year, it's lower than it was 20 years ago.

In fact, Chicago doesn't even make the top 20 metropolitan areas in terms of homicides in the United States.

I'd like to see that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's ambush hunting and it's how you do it for deer.
No, it's one way a lot of people without tracking skills kill deer. If you really need the meat, okay. I can't think of a less skillful way to go about hunting or a better way to miss out on the best part of being out in it. If your land is limited I suppose it's what you're left with, absent a club.

I doubt Willis is field dressing his kills. Seems more like a stalk and still approach, to move back toward the OP.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
No, it's one way a lot of people without tracking skills kill deer. If you really need the meat, okay. I can't think of a less skillful way to go about hunting or a better way to miss out on the best part of being out in it. If your land is limited I suppose it's what you're left with, absent a club.

I doubt Willis is field dressing his kills. Seems more like a stalk and still approach, to move back toward the OP.
Town butchers his own kills

fool

Hall of Fame
We kinda have to do it that way now, since it's not a good idea to go traipsing across someone else's property.

So, in Michigan you research a spot in between the deer's bedding area and feeding area and set a way to camouflage your self like some branches or a Winnebago and you shoot them when they're on the move between the two on the routes they would use. That's a good morning and evening thing to do. If you didn't score in the morning then after you get back from breakfast you go "push" the bedding areas. That's where the group spreads out in a line and walks thru a swamp or marsh. They can't see the deer because it's a swamp and they're in grass over their heads but the deer hear them coming and take off in the opposite direction, then when the break into the open your shooters have a chance to get a shot. This is all coordinated so everyone knows what the fire lanes are.

Then back for lunch and off to your blind again to sit until sun down and hope to get one in transit again.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, in Michigan you research a spot in between the deer's bedding area and feeding area and set a way to camouflage your self like some branches or a Winnebago and you shoot them when they're on the move between the two on the routes they would use. That's a good morning and evening thing to do. If you didn't score in the morning then after you get back from breakfast you go "push" the bedding areas. That's where the group spreads out in a line and walks thru a swamp or marsh. They can't see the deer because it's a swamp and they're in grass over their heads but the deer hear them coming and take off in the opposite direction, then when the break into the open your shooters have a chance to get a shot. This is all coordinated so everyone knows what the fire lanes are.

Then back for lunch and off to your blind again to sit until sun down and hope to get one in transit again.
Living the dream!

fool

Hall of Fame
Last year there was 686,000 people in the woods of Michigan for gun season. There was 1.05 MILLION when you add bow season. Where in that matrix are you "tracking" a deer?
You track a deer after you shoot it, you read the tracks before the season to plan your avenues. A deer can feel, hear, and smell you coming a mile away. And when there's 686,000 other people in the woods you're not going do to much beyond driving the deer past someone else's blind.

As far as lacking skills the most successful hunter is the one who brings back the most meat for the least effort.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Last year there was 686,000 people in the woods of Michigan for gun season. There was 1.05 MILLION when you add bow season. Where in that matrix are you "tracking" a deer?
I don't know the lay of that land, how the hunters are distributed over time, etc. Sounds awful though.

You track a deer after you shoot it
:plain:

you read the tracks before the season to plan your avenues.
You certainly can.

A deer can feel, hear, and smell you coming a mile away.
If that happens to you consistently you're probably better off on the line.

And when there's 686,000 other people in the woods you're not going do to much beyond driving the deer past someone else's blind.
I suppose faced with that I'd either go elsewhere to hunt or give it up and just hike a bit. Unless I really needed the meat or just enjoyed killing things. I don't, so it wouldn't interest me.

As far as lacking skills the most successful hunter is the one who brings back the most meat for the least effort.
If you're hunting primarily for food then do what gets you the most of it. In my family the hunt was part of a larger mosaic of respect, discipline and rites of passage, from blooding to going alone. But we had the luxury of acreage in the family, so there's that, I suppose. Skill is in tracking, beating the prey and returning intact from a deep hunt, which isn't a thing you do in a day. The hunt taught me to love and appreciate nature in a way I don't believe I would have otherwise. I don't care for it being reduced to an assembly line except by necessity and I feel about it the same way I do about men who go out with shotguns that carry more shells in the gun than you get from an over/under.

But to each their own.

Is this thread about 'Death Wish' or 'The Deer Hunter'?

:plain:
Yes. :think: Which one was Willis in again?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

You're actually defending Chicago and their brutal murder rates?

I'm just pointing out that Chicago didn't make the top 30 cities for homicide last year. It's not going to do that this year, either:

30 Washington, DC
29 Milwaukee, WI
28 East Chicago, IN
27 Desert Hot Springs, CA
26 Goldsboro, NC
25 Salinas, CA
24 Myrtle Beach, SC
23 Hartford, CT
22 Banning, CA
21 Bessemer, AL
20 Baton Rouge, LA
19 Youngstown, OH
18 Riviera Beach, FL
17 Jackson, MS
16 Cleveland, OH
15 Portsmouth, VA
14 Monroe, LA
13 Newark, NJ
12 Birmingham, AL
11 Wilmington, DE
10 Camden, NJ
9 New Orleans, LA
8 Detroit, MI
7 Flint, MI
6 Petersburg, VA
5 Baltimore, MD
4 St. Louis, MO
3 Gary, IN
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

Data for 2016:
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/nati...n_fddff04f-7a84-5be7-84cb-f5db31530276.html#2

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian observes:

I'm just pointing out that Chicago didn't make the top 30 cities for homicide last year. It's not going to do that this year, either:

30 Washington, DC
29 Milwaukee, WI
28 East Chicago, IN
27 Desert Hot Springs, CA
26 Goldsboro, NC
25 Salinas, CA
24 Myrtle Beach, SC
23 Hartford, CT
22 Banning, CA
21 Bessemer, AL
20 Baton Rouge, LA
19 Youngstown, OH
18 Riviera Beach, FL
17 Jackson, MS
16 Cleveland, OH
15 Portsmouth, VA
14 Monroe, LA
13 Newark, NJ
12 Birmingham, AL
11 Wilmington, DE
10 Camden, NJ
9 New Orleans, LA
8 Detroit, MI
7 Flint, MI
6 Petersburg, VA
5 Baltimore, MD
4 St. Louis, MO
3 Gary, IN
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

Data for 2016:
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/nati...n_fddff04f-7a84-5be7-84cb-f5db31530276.html#2
Look up which states have the most missing persons.

ClimateSanity

No, I'm mostly enraged by the quality of the acting I keep running into at the movies. And by the lack of imagination in Hollywood for the past 20 years.

I'm a gun owner. I was once an actual hunter, not the guy who stands in one place waiting for something to happen, or has other people drive an animal toward him, who would track and field dress. So I value guns and the right to possess them, though I think everyone should have to take a safety course in their use and register the weapons.

Death Wish glorifies vigilantism, which is a very bad idea, if it follows the original premise. I'm for law and order so I'm against that, but outraged by a movie? :chuckle:
Here is a tweet from leftist film critic Alan Silberman:

Eli Roth's Death Wish remake is so nakedly fascist that alt-righters will have an erudition before the trailer ends .

Erudition is in replacement for a sexual word I could get banned over.

Do you agree with his assessment? If not , do you agree with him that Willis character is an angry old racist white guy?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here is a tweet from leftist film critic Alan Silberman:
Never heard of him. Who does he review for? Went to Rotten Tomatoes and he doesn't appear as a critic for anyone there.

Critics I tend to look at for a bit would include: Roper, for the New Yorker; Orr in the Atlantic; Rainer, for Christian Science Monitor; Burr in the Boston Globe; Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal; LaSalle, SF Chronicle; Travers, from Rolling Stone; Whitty, Daily News; McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter; Scott, the NY Times; Colin Covert, Minneapolis Trib...a handful of others.

Do you agree with his assessment?
How could I agree with a review I haven't read or any review of a movie I haven't actually seen? If you haven't seen the movie at best you can try to sum an opinion of a trailer prepared by people who mostly want to stir reaction and put fannies in theater seats.

How many trailers have you watched that were better than the movie? Or at least more interesting.

If not , do you agree with him that Willis character is an angry old racist white guy?
Hard to imagine the character wouldn't be angry. And he's definitely white. Old? In the eye of the beholder. He has reached the threshold of the Harrison Ford model, where I find myself asking, "Do I believe he can still get most of that done?" But old? To a twenty something, probably.

Why racist? I didn't hear him drop an n-bomb, saw black people at his wife's funeral. Most of the people he kills in the trailer don't appear to be black. He does shoot a black drug dealer, but it looks like he's avenging something that injured a black kid. How would that be racist? So far the only emotional reactions like that I'm seeing are found in the comment sections of YouTube trailers as bait from alt right people who seem desperate to use SJW initials and have something to talk about that isn't Trump and the embarrassing laugh track behind his administration's antics.

You've seen the film? Or are you forming your opinion first?

Look up which states have the most missing persons.
You really want to lose your mind look up the number of people who disappear in states where Hillary Clinton lived during the time she lived there.

It's eerie. :plain:

I think I'll trust the figures from a Chicago academic crime lab over real estate agents.
Everyone says that until they see the rebuilt kitchen.

The Berean

No, I'm mostly enraged by the quality of the acting I keep running into at the movies. And by the lack of imagination in Hollywood for the past 20 years.

I'm a gun owner. I was once an actual hunter, not the guy who stands in one place waiting for something to happen, or has other people drive an animal toward him, who would track and field dress. So I value guns and the right to possess them, though I think everyone should have to take a safety course in their use and register the weapons.

Death Wish glorifies vigilantism, which is a very bad idea, if it follows the original premise. I'm for law and order so I'm against that, but outraged by a movie? :chuckle:
So I guess you're not a Batman fan? :p