Dear Abby: Atheist family fed up with friends’ preaching - how would you respond?

whitestone

A friend sent me this article, im wondering how you all here on tol would respond to the atheists concern and what you think about the response given by "abby" - thanks!

Not sure if she even noticed she did(maybe so) but the woman writing to Abby also "preached a sermon",the sermon she preached was public(to Abby,internet,papers,and also on the wwww) in her sermon she stated her beliefs,an expected way she chooses to be treated,seen ect.,,,

Not that I say this to offend any (I am Christian) but as well as she sees the christian as trying to influence/teach/preach what she believes she also(the atheist)is both trying to convey her beliefs upon the christian woman/daughter.

The children possibly have a better chance at it in that they will probably just play together and not be offended with one another. As time goes on ,,example jr high/high school things may change as the both mature. One may begin to ponder Jesus and the other my begin to doubt Christianity depending on things they hear from one another about their beliefs.

The point I'm trying to make though is that if a Christian were to write to Abby,post on the www,go to someones house ect. and preach then it would be viewed as "preaching",,,on the other hand when an atheist writes to Abby,post on the www,tries to convey their beliefs to others it is suppose to be received as "not preaching",,,in all reality they are both the same, the thing is though one is hidden.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

I actually find myself in this sort of situation a lot, and I rarely have problems. All I do is say something like...

I realize you're a Christian and you're eager to share that with me, but please understand that I grew up in a Christian environment, so I do know what the faith is about. It's just not something I've ever believed and I would say it's highly unlikely I'll ever believe it. So there's really no need for you to keep asking me to go to church or keep trying to convert me. But I like hanging out with you, so hopefully we can move on and still be friends.

whitestone

I actually find myself in this sort of situation a lot, and I rarely have problems. All I do is say something like...

I realize you're a Christian and you're eager to share that with me, but please understand that I grew up in a Christian environment, so I do know what the faith is about. It's just not something I've ever believed and I would say it's highly unlikely I'll ever believe it. So there's really no need for you to keep asking me to go to church or keep trying to convert me. But I like hanging out with you, so hopefully we can move on and still be friends.

lol,Me too,same paragraph except the nouns are reversed. The two of them will either see both things or neither,,,

6days

I think the main question in regards to establishing beliefs ... goes back to the very beginning of life insofar as creation VS evolution.
Many come to faith while still firmly committed to 'you from goo' beliefs. Not always, but often, evolutionary beliefs disappear as their eyes are opened to truth. World renowned geneticist, Dr. John Sanford said "I was totally sold on evolution. It was my religion; it defined how I saw everything, it was my value system and my reason for being. Later, I came to believe in “God”, but this still did not significantly change my intellectual outlook regarding origins. However, still later, as I began to personally know and submit to Jesus, I started to be fundamentally changed—in every respect. This included my mind, and how I viewed science and history. I would not say that science led me to the Lord (which is the experience of some). Rather I would say Jesus opened my eyes to His creation—I was blind, and gradually I could see. It sounds simple, but it was a slow and painful process"

whitestone

That is the true issue. Either there was an man(not yet evolved)and so needed no Savior because of not being completely evolved,therefore innocent.

Then along comes an man further evolved and in need of some measure of innocence,yet also some measure of reconciliation.

Then though eventually will come the perfectly evolved man in need of no Savior,the man who either has evolved enough to not commit iniquity or an man committed to it.

This in it's process cancels out the necessity of an Savior until the final evolutionary standard of an man is come,,,but to whose standard?

Evolution then therefore holds the standard as to who has become "no longer innocent" and the standard is therefore then the last man.