Creationists admit "We are losing badly"

gcthomas

To determine that what science can tell us equals all there is to say about reality is to already have made a whole lot of philosophical assumptions.
Just one assumption, really, and a defensible one at that.

Assumptions that are in no way (it is not possible given the definition of the scientific methodology) justified by the scientific methodology itself, in other words it is the self-contradictory extreme naive form of logical positivism.
Are you suggesting that philosophical foundational principles must be deducible from the philosophy itself? That would make all philosophies self-contradictory, a naïve and largely ridiculous idea surely.

Selaphiel

gcthomas said:
Just one assumption, really, and a defensible one at that.

You really believe that the equation of the totality of science and the totality of reality rests upon one assumption? I can list a few just off my sleeve:

-It rests on an epistemology strongly in favor in empiricism at the cost of rationalism.

-It more or less ignores the entire field of hermeneutics

-It assumes a naive subject-object structure of reality. An object being accurately and disinterestingly represented in a subject.

-It assumes classical realistic view as opposed to critical realistic or instrumentalisic view of science.

-It assumes a correspondence theory of truth

-It assumes a particular relationship between language, propositions and concepts as well as how they relate to 'reality'.

I do not disagree with all of these and some of them are closely linked together, but they are philosophical assumptions (that can be argued for or against)

Sorry gcthomas, it is quite clear that you are not very familiar with this field. I can only give you the same advise that you would give a creationist that butchers science, go familiarize yourself with the actual discussions and literature of the field.

Are you suggesting that philosophical foundational principles must be deducible from the philosophy itself? That would make all philosophies self-contradictory, a naïve and largely ridiculous idea surely.

The methodology of philosophy is simply reason, it is not as clearly defined as the scientific method is. It is simply equivocation to say that both philosophy and science is methodology. If you dismantle the basis of philosophical enterprise, you dismantle all rational discourse. The arguments against it end up being self-contradictory, since even an argument against its validity would depend on the very thing it seeks to falsify, and would itself be an exercise of philosophy.

The scientific method on the other hand is a specialized method, designed to focus on particular aspects of reality, simply ignoring certain questions. That methodology could in theory be criticized without a contradiction like the one above. A part of the definition of that methodology is that it cannot answer the kind of questions that falls in under philosophy. It is this limitation that makes the methodology so efficient at what it seeks to do. The problem is when people forget that it is a methodology and equates methodology with ontology.

I have no qualms with the scientific method in itself. I do however think that the claim that science equals the totality of reality is problematic to say the least.

Your comparison has another problem. In no way did I claim that all scientific theories are self-contradictory due to the nature of the scientific methodology ("That would make all philosophies self-contradictory"). I merely pointed out the limits of the methodology.

CherubRam

That's incorrect I think. Various creation myths of various religions are, or should be, taught in religious education classes. Just not in science classes since creation or ID is religion, not science.

As far as I am concerned, other religions do not count because they are man made. All of the other religions of the world were made to compete with Judaism and Christianity. The gods made of sticks and stones by men should not count for having a say. Our God is a living being. Creation and ID is science in Judaism and Christianity. God evolved, and worldly Evolution is the real myth.

gcthomas

You really believe that the equation of the totality of science and the totality of reality rests upon one assumption?
No, and I didn't claim that I did. You made that assumption.

I can list a few just off my sleeve:

-It rests on an epistemology strongly in favor in empiricism at the cost of rationalism.
OK.

-It more or less ignores the entire field of hermeneutics

-It assumes a naive subject-object structure of reality. An object being accurately and disinterestingly represented in a subject.
These are corollaries, not assumptions.

-It assumes classical realistic view as opposed to critical realistic or instrumentalisic view of science.

-It assumes a correspondence theory of truth
You specified Logical Positivism which, as it requires a verificationist theory, is not fully compatible with the correspondence theory.

-It assumes a particular relationship between language, propositions and concepts as well as how they relate to 'reality'.
No - it doesn't relate to 'reality', but defines what sort of statements are meaningful.

I do not disagree with all of these and some of them are closely linked together, but they are philosophical assumptions (that can be argued for or against)

Sorry gcthomas, it is quite clear that you are not very familiar with this field. I can only give you the same advise that you would give a creationist that butchers science, go familiarize yourself with the actual discussions and literature of the field.
:carryon:

I have no qualms with the scientific method in itself. I do however think that the claim that science equals the totality of reality is problematic to say the least.
Just as well that I didn't say it did, isn't it? You make a lot of assumptions. There is a difference between 'totality of reality' and 'what can meaningfully be said about reality', and I'm surprised that you suffer such a basic confusion, especially when you are touting yourself as an expert.

Last edited:

jeffblue101

One of the few intelligent design blogs left is "Uncommon Descent". Recently, Sal Cordova--an ID creationist--was banned from the blog, which seems kinda odd since he's a fairly well-known creationist and ID apologist. But in banning him, his fellow creationists sent him a letter that explains he was banned for also participating in a non-ID creationist site. That letter states (in part)...

I guess it's progress to see ID creationists finally coming around and recognizing the reality of the situation....ID creationism is dead, long since so. Millennials are accepting the reality of evolution in greater numbers, are leaving Christianity, and are citing the faith's anti-science attitude as among their reasons for leaving.

All good news. :up:

http://theskepticalzone.com/wp/barry-arringtons-bullying/comment-page-1/
"Barry Arrington’s Bullying"

much to do about nothing, if you actually read the original forum post it becomes obvious that this is really just a personal feud between an ID U.D. editor and a YEC U.D. author. according to Sal,the YEC author, this falling out and alleged bulling by the U.D. editor Barry happened because he posted a news article on YEC. Whatever the case I believe this public exposure of a private email correspondence is in bad taste since it violates a sense of privacy and trust, and has since become fodder for godless evolutionist looking to find a miniscule of dirt to throw at creationists. Even if Barry, the U.D. editor, is a "bully" on his blog there needs to be some foresight that many evolutionists are desperate and will quote mine this public disclosure.

Jose Fly

http://theskepticalzone.com/wp/barry-arringtons-bullying/comment-page-1/
"Barry Arrington’s Bullying"

much to do about nothing, if you actually read the original forum post it becomes obvious that this is really just a personal feud between an ID U.D. editor and a YEC U.D. author. according to Sal,the YEC author, this falling out and alleged bulling by the U.D. editor Barry happened because he posted a news article on YEC. Whatever the case I believe this public exposure of a private email correspondence is in bad taste since it violates a sense of privacy and trust, and has since become fodder for godless evolutionist looking to find a miniscule of dirt to throw at creationists. Even if Barry, the U.D. editor, is a "bully" on his blog there needs to be some foresight that many evolutionists are desperate and will quote mine this public disclosure.

I don't really disagree with you. This is little more than a petty squabble between creationists. But given that ID creationism has been dead for some time now, The Pandas Thumb doesn't have much else to go on for their material, so when something like this happens, they jump on it, kind of in a "Hey look, the ID creationists have said something interesting" way.

But Arrington's admission that they are "losing badly" is definitely worth noting.

Zeke

Evolution doesn't allow certain things into the discussion, The fact that man does design and create things through intelligence from observation and imagination should be part of the information considered before stating Creation isn't a viable possibility, which is the same thing attributed to how the Creator Thought/Imagined the Creation into being, The Elephant in the room they squeeze by everyday to start the day. Oh well their all educated beyond such common sense so breaking that mental cast system will take an act of Creative evolution for sure.

Jamie Gigliotti

Science is knowledge and truth about our natural world.

Scientific quests/theories that are attempted to be proven are not science. They are an attempt to discover science.

Evolution has not been proven it is not knowledge.

What is beyond the natural can not be proven by the natural.

If one is predjudiced against the supernatural totally the mind is closed.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's a directly observed process that we not only see with our own eyes, but manipulate for our own ends (e.g., domestication).

when you can show me how to turn a fish into a cow, i'll be impressed

getting kinda tired of fish sticks

want a hamburger

KingdomRose

One of the few intelligent design blogs left is "Uncommon Descent". Recently, Sal Cordova--an ID creationist--was banned from the blog, which seems kinda odd since he's a fairly well-known creationist and ID apologist. But in banning him, his fellow creationists sent him a letter that explains he was banned for also participating in a non-ID creationist site. That letter states (in part)...

I guess it's progress to see ID creationists finally coming around and recognizing the reality of the situation....ID creationism is dead, long since so. Millennials are accepting the reality of evolution in greater numbers, are leaving Christianity, and are citing the faith's anti-science attitude as among their reasons for leaving.

All good news. :up:

Oh, ID proponents' views are FAR FROM DEAD, sir. Your ridiculous atheism has no solid backing. All of your arguments are so full of holes you can blow them over with a little puff.

People who believe in ID are not anti-science. I love science! Science shows me how God has interacted with His creations. It is beautiful. Atheism is not good science. You deny that things on this earth can be shown to have IRREDUCIBLE COMPLEXITY. Irreducible Complexity and the acceptance thereof is good science.

You also bash Michael Behe and others because they (scientists all) say that Irreducible Complexity shows that there must be an intelligence behind the building of any living thing. They do not say "God," but they recognize the ID involved.

If anyone wants to take their head out of the sand and give consideration to GOOD science, there are many books to look into. A few are: Darwin's Black Box by Michael Behe, The Devil's Delusion by David Berlinski, and Intelligent Design 101 General Editor H. Wayne House.

Hedshaker

What about those instruments/tools/etc.. used by Science, were they designed by intelligence?

How would you go about differentiating between the two. Given say, a telescope and a tree? Do you have a criteria for deciding which occurred naturally and which was designed?

It's not a trick question?

KingdomRose

None of these descriptions fit all the good scientists, at least not them as scientists. Plenty of believing scientists.

Bible has a lot to say about people who are deceitful and haters of truth, knowledge and wisdom though.

Creationism is a stain on Christianity. It is a form of Christianity that has ceased to be theology, that is thinking about God.

The warning of Augustine still holds:

"Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens and the other elements of this world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and relative positions… Now it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an unbeliever to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of the Holy Scriptures, talking nonsense on these topics, and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. "

There is a big difference between a fundamentalist-Creationist and a Christian who thinks Science and Creation harmonize. "Creationists" generally have the reputation of saying that the universe is very young and the earth has existed for only 5 or 6 thousand years. This is poppycock!

The Bible does not say that the universe and the earth are that young. They, the Creationists, make the Bible seem ridiculous, because it is a fact that it can be shown that the earth is BILLIONS of years old! The Bible does not say that it is a few thousands of years old. Yet Creationists will say that the Bible does say that.

The "days" of the creation of everything ON the earth are certainly NOT 24-hour days! They are of undetermined length. This can clearly be seen when looking at GENESIS 2:4 where it says that God made the earth and heaven in a day. Obviously not meant to be 24 hours!! So neither are the 6 days of chapter 1.

Science and the belief that ID was involved in the creation of everything are completely harmonious. It is un-scientific to say that they are not.