Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisBJ

Creationist Nonsense Euphemistically Called "Science"

Creationist Nonsense Euphemistically Called "Science"

DavisBJ doesn't deny science....but he doesn't seem willing to follow the evidence to our Creator.
I don’t deny science, but you do.
Here are a few questions about science on which I think we differ.

---Is it good science to believe that snakes and donkeys sometimes converse using human speech?
---Is it good science to believe a guy can live inside a fish for several days?
---Is it good science to believe that a river turns to blood?
---Is it good science to believe that wooden sticks can turn into snakes?
---Is it good science to claim that a human body that has been dead long enough to smell as it is decomposing suddenly comes back to life?
---Is it good science to claim that a person with a physical body can walk through a closed door?
---Is it good science to claim that the simple act of looking back at a scene will result in the person turning from flesh, blood, and bone into a pillar of salt?
---Is it good science to say that a person can walk on water?
---Is it good science to say the sun and moon remained in position in the sky for a whole day?
---Is it good science to think a human can go 40 days without either food or water?
---Is it good science to say that all carnivores were docile vegetarians a few thousand years ago?
---Is it good science to say Maxwell’s equations governing electrodynamics were not in effect until after the flood of Noah?

So yeah, I am not inclined to abandon logic to embrace blatant nonsense.

6days

---Is it good science to believe that snakes and donkeys sometimes converse using human speech?
---Is it good science to claim that a human body that has been dead long enough to smell as it is decomposing suddenly comes back to life?
---Is it good science to claim that a person with a physical body can walk through a closed door?
---Is it good science to claim that the simple act of looking back at a scene will result in the person turning from flesh, blood, and bone into a pillar of salt?
---Is it good science to say the sun and moon remained in position in the sky for a whole day?
---Is it good science to think a human can go 40 days without either food or water?
---Is it good science to say that all carnivores were docile vegetarians a few thousand years ago?
---Is it good science to say Maxwell’s equations governing electrodynamics were not in effect until after the flood of Noah?
Your questions aren't about science Davis. You are asking about beliefs about the past. But yes the evidence does support a supernatural creation... an Intelligent Designer. And, the evidence does support that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.

But.... Lets look at miracles just from a logical point of view.
Both of us would likely agree that miracles are a violation of laws of nature.
We would agree that there are scientific laws such as the speed of light, law of biogenesis etc. It seems atheists believe that violations of these laws may have happened in the past. Or, we could look at how Newtons laws were confirmed millions of times per day---Then Einsteins theory of relativity showed Newtons laws may be wrong , or inadequate explanations. Therefore, miracles are possible.

Last edited:

Tyrathca

Your questions aren't about science Davis. You are asking about beliefs about the past. But yes the evidence does support a supernatural creation... an Intelligent Designer. And, the evidence does support that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.
Why then do the overwhelming super majority of scientists disagree with you? Even the Christians? A conspiracy of that magnitude is impossible so why? I've never seen a proper attempt at answering that, just vague handwavey statements about 'bias'

We would agree that there are scientific laws such as the speed of light, law of biogenesis etc. It seems atheists believe that violations of these laws may have happened in the past. Or, we could look at how Newtons laws were confirmed millions of times per day---Then Einsteins theory of relativity showed Newtons laws may be wrong , or inadequate explanations. Therefore, miracles are possible.
That would have to be the dumbest argument for miracles I have ever heard. Miracles exist because science doesn't know everything?

DavisBJ

Advances in science prove there are miracles????

Advances in science prove there are miracles????

Your questions aren't about science Davis. You are asking about beliefs about the past.
Perhaps studying things from the past is not science to you, but that just means you are defining science differently than any scientist I know of. I invite you to contact the science departments at any of the best universities that I have already listed in prior posts (and you have resorted to ignoring) and ask them if they consider the study of things from the past as being outside of science.

Need I remind you that the creation tale you revere as sacred is very much a product of the past, coming from a scientifically ignorant nomadic tribal society several thousand years ago. I am not aware that a single autograph copy exists of the Old (or New) Testament. Anything scientific within its pages has a much more tenuous claim to being scientifically verifiable than the vast majority of what universities teach.

For example, in my post that you just responded to, I reference your belief in the reality of a talking snake and a talking donkey in the past. Those are incidents briefly alluded to in the legends you revere. In science, the anatomy of both snakes and donkeys, both existing and centuries back, have been meticulously studied. I am not aware of any hint of a residual (vestigial, if you will) structure in either donkeys or snakes that could have generated human type sounds. Since there are lots of snakes and lots of donkeys, and lots of studies of them and their “ancestors”, it is not only reasonable but very likely that no donkey or snake has ever conversed in human speech.

In a similar fashion, science can investigate what would be required for a human to live in a fish for a few days. Issues with digestive acids, available oxygen, the necessary room, pressure at depths, body temperature, etc. etc. all show that story to be beyond nonsense.

Want to discuss what is required at a chemical and mineralogical level to transform a river into blood? Science can address that, and when the scientific difficulties are placed along the simple claim in an ancient tribal tale that it happened, well, which is most likely to be right? And so on for all the items I mentioned.
But yes the evidence does support a supernatural creation.
If we focus on creation in three levels – first, science has a pretty good handle on what we think the universe was like few seconds after the big bang. The big bang itself is such a unique event that there is still a lot of work to be done to be comfortable that science has an accurate understanding. Second, we have a much better handle on the major processes in star and planet formation. Oodles and oodles of technical papers and astrophysical studies dealing with that subject. And thirdly, the formation of life itself? Again that probably occurred on earth in some localized region that likely has been destroyed by tectonic activity billions of years ago, and would leave almost no trace in the geology in its earliest phases. Lots of studies working on how the jump from raw elements to the first reproducing life form might have happened.

The science that you offer for each of those stages of creation are: first, the universe – God says “poof”, it is done. Kinda thin on scientific content there. Secondly, the sun, moon, earth, God says “poof”, and there they are. Maybe that is the kind of science you like, but I’m not sure on how to express the involved astrophysics laws of “poof”. And the creation of life. I guess God says “poof” for each “kind” on the appropriate day. Pretty simple science in some of that – no need to look for genetic similarities, since kind “A” was created independently of kind “B”.

Instead of years of study leading to PhDs in specialized subsets of General Relativity or contraction of gas clouds or thermonuclear stellar ignition or genetic ancestral relationships, just think, with your model one hour in high school would be plenty to make the students experts on how the universe, sun, moon, stars, and thousands of life forms were created.
. an Intelligent Designer.
Wasted effort, since Mother Nature (who isn’t very intelligent) does the same job.
And, the evidence does support that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.
I gave you a list of things your scriptures talk about – talking snakes, bloody rivers, grass-eating mosquitoes, etc. What is the scientific evidence you speak of for each of these (other than the tribal legend itself)?
We would agree that there are scientific laws such as the speed of light, law of biogenesis etc. It seems atheists believe that violations of these laws may have happened in the past. Or, we could look at how Newton’s laws were confirmed millions of times per day---Then Einstein’s theory of relativity showed Newton’s laws may be wrong, or inadequate explanations. Therefore, miracles are possible.
Is that really your argument? We found an improvement on Newton’s ideas, so then anything can be overturned? I have seen a lot of improvements in our understanding of things in my career. I have seen a huge number of new understandings enter into the scientific world. And very seldom have I seen any of those that moved science closer to agreement with the Genesis creation account. Most of the advances in astronomy and physics that I know of either had little direct bearing on the Genesis tale, or moved science farther away from the Bible.

We have talked earlier in this thread about the fact that in the Western world several centuries back much of science was patterned on the Genesis story, simply because science was still very much in its infancy. You brag about Galileo’s devotion to the scriptures. But the fact is a huge percentage of the top scientists now are pointedly in opposition to ideas that are anathema to you. Would Galileo likewise turn his back on that ancient tribal creation account if he lived today? I don’t know, but I do know of lots of scientists whose understanding of science is vastly beyond what Galileo had, and they see no benefit in continuing to believe in people turning to salt and sticks turning into snakes. Lord Kelvin went way past Galileo in science, but was not a biologist. Nevertheless he opposed Darwin’s ideas, based on his unmatched mastery of thermodynamics. But in so doing, he supported the Bible in the field he knew little about (biology), and had no qualms about ignoring Genesis timelines in the field he was good at (physics). You would have loved him in the area where he was poorly qualified, and hated him in the field in which he was well qualified.

The distance between science and ancient religious tales is steadily growing.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I don’t deny science, but you do.

So yeah, I am not inclined to abandon logic to embrace blatant nonsense.

All of these things can be explained. The Bible is human, it was written by holy men, some more sincere than others. They were speculating about the meaning of past events of a supernatural nature relative to themselves and their followers. Simultaneously the Hebrews were radically converting their secular history into a miraculous fiction pressured by the loss of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Israelites. But religion doesn't have to be true in order to be believed. The world is full of diverse religion and beliefs. Christianity itself is composed of thousands of sects of differing theology/beliefs. In fact there are as many beliefs as their are people of faith. I am one of them.

DavisBJ

All of these things can be explained. The Bible is human, it was written by holy men, some more sincere than others. They were speculating about the meaning of past events of a supernatural nature relative to themselves and their followers. Simultaneously the Hebrews were radically converting their secular history into a miraculous fiction pressured by the loss of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Israelites. But religion doesn't have to be true in order to be believed. The world is full of diverse religion and beliefs. Christianity itself is composed of thousands of sects of differing theology/beliefs. In fact there are as many beliefs as their are people of faith. I am one of them.
I agree the Bible is of human origin, written by men, of various levels of sincerity, with a lot of speculating in it. But I also I think your message will not sit well at all with 6days.

DavisBJ

The non-scientist wants to define what is science

The non-scientist wants to define what is science

Not at all... science is science is science. What you are talking about that has left the roots of modern science behind is evolutionism.
Do you mean the idea of common descent that is taught as a part of the biology curriculum of almost every major scientific university in the world?

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I agree the Bible is of human origin, written by men, of various levels of sincerity, with a lot of speculating in it. But I also I think your message will not sit well at all with 6days.

6 days has been convinced by the holy men that God wrote the Bible. It's a form of idolatry. Scripture is just a more sophisticated "Golden Calf". That's why Jesus didn't write anything down or leave behind anything that could become a kind of idol.

They don't believe some of the things in the Bible because they sound true, they believe them because they are in the Bible. If the Bible said that God set life in motion millions of years ago through the creative process of evolution then they would be fine with that.

If the Bible didn't contain the flood story and someone found it in say, with the dead sea scrolls, they would naturally think it was the most ridiculous thing they ever heard and discount it out of hand. But sense the Hebrews used the legend as a part of their genealogical claims, Bible worshipers MUST bend reality to fit the story.

That's faith, and honestly, I believe some very unusual things myself.

DavisBJ

6 days has been convinced by the holy men that God wrote the Bible. It's a form of idolatry. Scripture is just a more sophisticated "Golden Calf". That's why Jesus didn't write anything down or leave behind anything that could become a kind of idol.

They don't believe some of the things in the Bible because they sound true, they believe them because they are in the Bible. If the Bible said that God set life in motion millions of years ago through the creative process of evolution then they would be fine with that.

If the Bible didn't contain the flood story and someone found it in say, with the dead sea scrolls, they would naturally think it was the most ridiculous thing they ever heard and discount it out of hand. But sense the Hebrews used the legend as a part of their genealogical claims, Bible worshipers MUST bend reality to fit the story.

I agree. Now if you can just get 6days to use a modicum of honesty in admitting that the Bible is sometimes not scientifically accurate, you will have my respect.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I agree. Now if you can just get 6days to use a modicum of honesty in admitting that the Bible is sometimes not scientifically accurate, you will have my respect.

LOL! I'm not a miracle worker, 6days religious pride forbids him from making any such concession EVER! He really does think that the problem is science and not the Bronze Age worldview of the kind of unassailable people who killed Jesus. The Jews are above reproach, just because nothing like their spectacular history has ever happened in recorded history means nothing to the faith part of the brain.

6days

DavisBJ said:
6days said:
Not at all... science is science is science. What you are talking about that has left the roots of modern science behind is evolutionism.

Do you mean the idea of common descent that is taught as a part of the biology curriculum of almost every major scientific university in the world?

The "idea" of common descent is not emperical, testable observable science. Its a religious "idea" - a belief about the past. As biologist Joshua Lederburg said in Science magazine "What is incontrovertable is that a religious impulse guides our motives in sustaining scientific inquiry" (Article- Science and God: a warming trend. Aug 97)
I agree with that statement, and its especially true when talking about origins.*

6days

Tyrathca said:
6days said:

Why then do the overwhelming super majority of scientists disagree with you? Even the Christians?

Why did the overwheming super majority of 'scientists' and Christians disagree with Galileo? Dead fish all float together going the same direction.*

Tyrathca said:
A conspiracy of that magnitude is impossible so why?
It wasn't a conspiracy that caused the*overwheming super majority of scientists to have incorrect beliefs about "junk" DNA. Their error was assuming someting to be true based on their belief system...and on their lack of knowlege.

DavisBJ

Not that I really expect 6days to answer the question, but …

Not that I really expect 6days to answer the question, but …

The "idea" of common descent is not emperical, testable observable science. It’s a religious "idea" - a belief about the past. …
In several recent posts you have spoken of the “great universities” that we now have. Of the top-rated universities in the field of biology, which ones would side with you in the claim you just made?

Hedshaker

I have to say it's a mystery to me why people do it, or how they even can get so emotionally attached to these belief systems. I saw a guy on youtube say, if the Bible said that 2+2 = 5 he would believe it and then try to work it out. How could anyone be so bewitched by a book?! Or any mythology that requires permanent suspension of disbelief.

Nature all by itself is so very interesting and wondrous without the addition of none falsifiable supernatural embellishments. There are so many of them and the only thing they have in common is a lack of sound, testable evidence. If we want to know more about the world we live in and the reality we share there is a method that appears to work well, and it doesn't require yielding ones natural mind to some belief system or other. Question everything, especially things you have an emotional attachment to. And if you find something about what you believe in question then seek evidence, not apologetics. If it passes that test you should be able to demonstrate it to others without engaging in mental gymnastics and murky apologetics.

There is nothing wrong with open minded scepticism or withholding belief if you're not convinced. Scepticism is at the very heart of the scientific method but it's much more than that. Scepticism a little fail safe that protects us from all sorts of social ills....... :think:

Last edited:

Jose Fly

I saw a guy on youtube say, if the Bible said that 2+2 = 5 he would believe it and then try to work it out. How could anyone be so bewitched by a book?! Or any mythology that requires permanent suspension of disbelief.

Years ago on an old MSN forum, a creationist told me that since his reading of the Bible means transitional fossils can't exist, even if he were to somehow be given such a fossil and hold it in his hands, he would have no choice but to conclude it wasn't real and Satan was playing a trick on him.

Goes to show how for some folks, emotional safety and comfort take precedence over just about everything else....even reality.

Hedshaker

Years ago on an old MSN forum, a creationist told me that since his reading of the Bible means transitional fossils can't exist, even if he were to somehow be given such a fossil and hold it in his hands, he would have no choice but to conclude it wasn't real and Satan was playing a trick on him.

Lol :rotfl: It's funny but also sad in that I'm not really surprised.

Goes to show how for some folks, emotional safety and comfort take precedence over just about everything else....even reality.

This is the thing I struggle with. If it was any other outlandish flim flam other than religion they wouldn't get away with it. No religion has less "impossible things to believe before breakfast" than any other, yet they argue about who has the best magic.

What's wrong with a little good old fashion rationality? :idunno:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I have to say it's a mystery to me why people do it, or how they even can get so emotionally attached to these belief systems. I saw a guy on youtube say, if the Bible said that 2+2 = 5 he would believe it and then try to work it out. How could anyone be so bewitched by a book?! Or any mythology that requires permanent suspension of disbelief.

Nature all by itself is so very interesting and wondrous without the addition of none falsifiable supernatural embellishments. There are so many of them and the only thing they have in common is a lack of sound, testable evidence. If we want to know more about the world we live in and the reality we share there is a method that appears to work well, and it doesn't require yielding ones natural mind to some belief system or other. Question everything, especially things you have an emotional attachment to. And if you find something about what you believe in question then seek evidence, not apologetics. If it passes that test you should be able to demonstrate it to others without engaging in mental gymnastics and murky apologetics.

There is nothing wrong with open minded scepticism or withholding belief if you're not convinced. Scepticism is at the very heart of the scientific method but it's much more than that. It's a little fail safe that protects us from all sorts of social ills

Religion at it's core is the pursuit of values. many non religious people can have values that are just as unprovable in the math lab. Consciousness is a transcendent reality. Love, morality and other types of values are super-material.

The faith part of our brain develops concept frames in which to think. It's our story of the meaning of life, our philosophy. Some people crave security so they are willing to suspend what seems like common sense to another person.

Tyrathca

Why did the overwheming super majority of 'scientists' and Christians disagree with Galileo?
Stupid question, science and scientists did not exist in any meaningful numbers at the time. That and there was an organised and powerful religious government which had the power to silence any percieved dissidents (and erring from their previous statements was dissent) .
Dead fish all float together going the same direction.*
Ultimately again just more vague handwaving.

How can do many people smart people, from such a variety of backgrounds, who study a subject so much be misled about it? A few quirks of misinformation here and there sure that's believable, but wholesale misinformation about something of that scale? Improbable to say the least.
It wasn't a conspiracy that caused the*overwheming super majority of scientists to have incorrect beliefs about "junk" DNA. Their error was assuming someting to be true based on their belief system...and on their lack of knowlege.
And yet in only a few years EVOLUTION believing scientists (not creationists) corrected that misunderstanding. A misunderstanding that was never held with confidence and was obviously researched with the thought it could be wrong. It was also a reasonable provisional label as until more recent research no one had found much use for it so it 'looked' like junk.

What you are actually describing is the very strength of Science and is method. It is forever error correcting and aware that it does not know everything.

Given how quickly or knowledge of dna was corrected on this issue and how it is being accepted within the scientific literature why has evolution avoided a similar 'correction'?

Jose Fly

And yet in only a few years EVOLUTION believing scientists (not creationists) corrected that misunderstanding. A misunderstanding that was never held with confidence and was obviously researched with the thought it could be wrong. It was also a reasonable provisional label as until more recent research no one had found much use for it so it 'looked' like junk.

6days and I went over this, and as was explained then, it wasn't that geneticists ignored pseudogenes and other non-coding regions, it's that they weren't prioritized for research in the early days of sequencing. And that made sense, given that sequences were hard to come by, and large-scale sequences weren't available for comparison. So as they began researching genetic functions, of course they generally started by looking at coding regions. I mean, at best the non-coding regions were likely going to serve a regulatory role, so it made sense to first look at the regions that code for proteins, and later look into how they are regulated.

Also, as I explained to 6days earlier, the "gene" parts of pseudogenes (the parts that are supposed to code for proteins....exons) are still non-functional. They've either been disabled to the point where they don't even code for anything, or they code for a few steps in the protein-making process (amino acids) but because subsequent steps are broken, the process stops and the amino acids just get re-digested by the cell without doing anything.

The research we'd been discussing is about geneticists discovering that in some cases, the regulatory regions (introns) of these pseudogenes have been co-opted to regulate other genes. But the parts that were supposed to code for proteins (exons) remain non-functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.