Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrathca

Dear Tyrathca,

You never answered my question. Are you a practicing warlock??
*sigh* Yes I did Michael, you even responded saying you were glad I wasn't a warlock... It was you who never answered MY question, why were you even asking this?
I don't want to debate it, but I can defend much of it. I am not knowledgeable about certain parts of the essays. The chapters are for you all to sponge up and learn some truth.
That's pointless and rude to do here Michael. This is a DISCUSSION forum, once people think that you don't want to discuss what you are posting them they are unlikely to bother reading it and expecting people to do so (when you obviously wouldn't do the same) is rude. You could have just posted a link to the books if people were interested, but in reality we are all perfectly capable of searching online for sources to read which are much better than that silly book (you haven't even said why you like that book other than you obviously agree with it, why should we take it seriously?)

6days

Biblical Creation the Cornerstone of Modern Science

Biblical Creation the Cornerstone of Modern Science

The Duke said:
It's not up to either of us to determine the proper definition for pseudogenes with regulatory functions.
I actually agree with all of the above except that I'm not seeing how this contradicts the definition given before.... Pls, do explain.
You said a definition that "Pseudogenes are functionless relatives of genes" was "spot on".

Now you seem to to be agreeing that many 'pseudogenes' do have function....and other pseudogenes may just need more research to discover the purpose.

The Duke said:
Have you ever heard of a term called "red herring"?
Sure..... I used a wee bit of a red herring to show evolutionism (Stellar, chemical, biological) is a belief system based on "dogmatic rejection of contradicting facts." For example our discussion of pseudogegenes, and junk DNA. More and more, genetic research is revealing function...purpose...design. Many evolutionists reject the facts which contradict their beliefs.

6days

No wonder you cling to creationism so hard, your "faith" depends on it

Yes Tyrathca! :) Even many atheists recognize that if they can destroy the foundation of the Gospel in Genesis, then the whole of the gospel becomes ineffectual.

Compromise in Genesis leads to a compromised Gospel.

Reactions: Lon

6days

JoseFly said:
6days said:
Again... the article in Nature says they have MOSTLY been ignored. Fortunately SOME scientists set their beliefs aside to explore and research.
And as I showed in my last post, geneticists were proposing functions for pseudogenes as early as the 1970's, and were identifying functions for them in the early 2000's, as large-scale sequences became available for comparing across taxa.
Ok great... We agree. Evolutionists 'MOSTLY IGNORED' psuedogenes. Fortunately not all scientists believed they were useless evolutionary leftovers.

JoseFly said:
6days said:
It (Common ancestry beliefs) really played no role.
Directly contradicted by your own citation, which contains a section entitled "Evolution and Pseudogenes" as well as summarizes papers that directly state...
Through evolutionary analysis, we have identified candidate sequences for functional human transcribed pseudogenes, and have pinpointed 68 strong candidates for further investigation as potentially functional transcribed pseudogenes across multiple mammal species.

You can keep making the claim...I will keep saying your wrong. Finding similar functional sequences in multiple mammal series can be explained by a common Designer, or common ancestry. However, the common ancestry belief actually is hindering science because they are trying to shoehorn data to fit their beliefs. Its great to be able to find function through comparative genetics, but function and purpose should be looked for in all of our genome...not just 68 sequences that seem to fit the common ancestry belief system.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael there is absolutely no point to dragging something off the interwebs and expecting it to be read and somehow absorbed as a"Truth". If you can't make specific comments about specific points then no one will want to pull apart something you apparently don't find it necessary to understand yourself. If the author of that piece wanted to come here and discuss it then that would be very different.

Dear alwight,

I just thought I would post it for perusal by other readers on my thread. If they want to mention something about it to me, I am fine with that. I do understand clearly the content that I post, or I would not post it. Of course! No, I am not the author, but if someone wanted to post part of my book for others' perusal, I would be fine with it.

Much Love & Cheerio!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
*sigh* Yes I did Michael, you even responded saying you were glad I wasn't a warlock... It was you who never answered MY question, why were you even asking this?
That's pointless and rude to do here Michael. This is a DISCUSSION forum, once people think that you don't want to discuss what you are posting them they are unlikely to bother reading it and expecting people to do so (when you obviously wouldn't do the same) is rude. You could have just posted a link to the books if people were interested, but in reality we are all perfectly capable of searching online for sources to read which are much better than that silly book (you haven't even said why you like that book other than you obviously agree with it, why should we take it seriously?)

Dear Tyrathca,

I didn't mean I don't want to defend or debate it, after all. I meant that I defend and can debate the book chapter/essay that I had posted. I have read the essay before I posted it and I agree with most, if not all, of it. So everything is cool. I probably should have made it more clear, you are right. I'm very sorry about that. I usually try to be very careful with what I say, but I can understand why you thought that.

Much Love & Warmest Regards,

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, they don't. First, 'evolutionist' is an ill defined term and only used by creationists, and if it means anything it ought to refer to evolution. Cosmologists are not evolutionary scientists. Second, 'created out of nothing'*is what creationists believe, not scientists. (It's in the name, see? c-r-e-a-t-i-o-n-ists).

Hypothesising a cause that is not uniquely supported by evidence is not the same as 'from nothing'.

Evolution is trusted to be true because we have has 150 years of people trying to disprove it and uniformly failing. When a theory has withstood such a barrage of attacks from those who KNOW it is wrong and would love to be able to dislodge it from the canon of accepted factual descriptions of the world, then it can be trusted. Like any other area of trusted science (statistical thermodynamics, special relativity, the photon nature of light, the existence of electrons and so on) no-one with any actual insight into the science is going to waste time seriously questioning it. After 50 years of finding the world outside your front door you will stop wondering if it is still there each time you leave the house, eventually.

Dear gcthomas,

Evolutionists OR atheists OR cosmologists believe that it was at least 3 billion years old, right? Is that it? Whatever. Perhaps the article and I didn't agree on that. Also, creationists don't believe everything was created out of Nothing. We believe that God created it all. Someday soon, you will find that to be the case.

Is that it? 150 years? I thought it was a lot longer. Oh well, before Science came along, people were believing in Creation for OVER 5,000 years. It may take a while, but sooner than later, we will prove the Creationism is correct and Evolution is not correct. The problem is that Evolution is similar to Creation. Just about everything except whether things were created by God or Mother Nature. I assure you there is no Mother Nature. God controls it ALL. Nature too. If God wants to create a butterfly, He does. If He wants to change a DNA, RNA, atom, nucleus or proton in it, then He does. You don't realize what you are talking about. We can argue about it until the hills become plains again, but it isn't going to change any of these facts. You'll see.

Thanks for posting!! This might be the first time you've posted to me!! Much Love & Best Wishes!!

Michael

Tyrathca

Also, creationists don't believe everything was created out of Nothing. We believe that God created it all.
God created it all... out of nothing. See?
Is that it? 150 years? I thought it was a lot longer.
Yup. Darwin first published his ideas in the 1850's.
Oh well, before Science came along, people were believing in Creation for OVER 5,000 years. It may take a while, but sooner than later, we will prove the Creationism is correct and Evolution is not correct.
By your own admission you've had 5,000 years and have nothing to show for it.
Evolution has had a mere 150 years and looks at the revolution it has caused within the biological sciences with implications from agriculture to ecological protection to medicine etc. If creationists were going to prove itself it should have done it by now, instead its just an outdated and obsolete idea like the 4 humors (ancient medicine) or flat earth. We've learnt better and moved on as a species, you should too and realise the truth.
The problem is that Evolution is similar to Creation. Just about everything except whether things were created by God or Mother Nature.
No, they are nothing alike. Just... no.... where do I even begin?
I assure you there is no Mother Nature. God controls it ALL. Nature too. If God wants to create a butterfly, He does. If He wants to change a DNA, RNA, atom, nucleus or proton in it, then He does. You don't realize what you are talking about. We can argue about it until the hills become plains again, but it isn't going to change any of these facts. You'll see.
So you're argument basically dumbs down to - you have no reasons to say you're right but just believe you because you have a really really good feeling about it? Then failing that to smugly just taunt "you'll see"? What exactly is there to discuss about this? What is the point of this conversation if all you want to do is just say is you're right and we should just believe because you said so?

6days

Tyrathca said:
Michael Cadry said:
We believe that God created it all.
God created it all... out of nothing. See?
The difference is we know that there was something. There was God.

Atheists on the other hand, have to believe that nothing created everything. Or that some form of energy existed through all eternity.

Tyrathca said:
Michael Cadry said:
Is that it? 150 years? (evolutionism)
Yup. Darwin first published his ideas in the 1850's.

Evolutionism in one form or another has existed for thousands of years. Even in New Testament days, epicureans had evolutionary ideas.

Tyrathca said:
Michael Cadry said:
Oh well, before Science came along, people were believing in Creation for OVER 5,000 years.
By your own admission you've had 5,000 years and have nothing to show for it.
Actually, we have modern science to show for it. We have some of the worlds greatest universities....art....music...hospitals, etc.

Tyrathca said:
Evolution has had a mere 150 years and looks at the revolution it has caused within the biological sciences with implications from agriculture to ecological protection to medicine etc.
Evolutionism in just 150+ years has caused untold suffering in our world through increased racism. genocides, the holocaust, and more. Biological sciences with implications from agriculture to ecological protection to medicine etc is founded in the belief that our Creator made an orderly world making discovery and science possible.

Tyrathca said:
If creationists were going to prove itself it should have done it by now, instead its just an outdated and obsolete idea like ... flat earth.
A couple years back I engaged in a short dialogue with the president of the flat earth society, Daniel Shelton. He was an agnostic and a evolutionist. (The Bible however talks about earth as a sphere in space)

TheDuke

Atheists on the other hand, have to believe that nothing created everything. Or that some form of energy existed through all eternity.
Firstly, you assert and make-believe. Secondly you seem to be incapable of comprehending what atheism is. Thirdly, you really have no clue about quantum field theory, now do you...

Evolutionism in one form or another has existed for thousands of years. Even in New Testament days, epicureans had evolutionary ideas.
In a manner of speaking, you're not wrong, but in essence, the concept of descent with modification had never been proposed earlier.

Actually, we have modern science to show for it. We have some of the worlds greatest universities....art....music...hospitals, etc.
Fairly certain, the question was with regard to evidence of creation..... but whatever.

A couple years back I engaged in a short dialogue with the president of the flat earth society, Daniel Shelton. He was an agnostic and a evolutionist. (The Bible however talks about earth as a sphere in space)
I guess you meant: Shenton. Yeah, indeed a very curious case. Let's wait a few more years and see whether the folks who think the entire thing is a joke are right...

But, what is more interesting is: Give me the bible quote about a sphere in space!!!!!

TheDuke

You said a definition that "Pseudogenes are functionless relatives of genes" was "spot on".
Well, we all know how and why creationists are so fond of quote-mines. On occasion YECs even mine their own lord and savior. However, seldom does one come across one of your kind quote-mining HIMSELF. Go back to your own post and read ALL of it pls.
Strike 1!

Sure..... I used a wee bit of a red herring to show evolutionism (Stellar, chemical, biological) is a belief system based on "dogmatic rejection of contradicting facts." For example our discussion of pseudogegenes, and junk DNA. More and more, genetic research is revealing function...purpose...design. Many evolutionists reject the facts which contradict their beliefs.
As mentioned before, repeating a mantra doesn't make it come true.
You use a "wee bit" of it in every post in order to not answer key questions. No surprises here, except that you are apparently half-aware of it.

TheDuke

It may take a while, but sooner than later, we will prove the Creationism is correct and Evolution is not correct.
Good luck.

The problem is that Evolution is similar to Creation. Just about everything except whether things were created by God or Mother Nature.
Gee, Michael, you've been on this thread for how many years now? And still, you don't even get the most fundamental basics. If I didn't know any better, one would have to assume you're deliberately playing stupid. :confused:

evidence trumps fairy tales!

Jose Fly

Ok great... We agree. Evolutionists 'MOSTLY IGNORED' psuedogenes. Fortunately not all scientists believed they were useless evolutionary leftovers.

LOL! I notice how you describe those who "ignored pseudogenes" as "evolutionists", but described those who studied them as "scientists". It always interesting to see all the different ways your bias manifests itself.

I did bring this subject up with a colleague of mine who is a geneticist. She explained that it wasn't so much that pseudogenes were "ignored" as they were "not prioritized". In the 1970's and 1980's, genetic sequences were pretty hard to come by and we really were in the earliest stages of figuring out what the human genome even looked like, let alone what it all did. So it was quite logical for geneticists to first prioritize coding regions in their research. Coding regions = proteins, and proteins are where most of the action is in the cell. But even then (as I showed with references to the literature), some geneticists were looking at non-coding regions.

Then in the 1990's, as larger segments of genomes became available for study, more research was done on non-coding regions. But for sure the bulk was focused on coding regions, because they still hadn't figured out what most of them did.

Then in the 2000's, as whole genomes became available for comparison (under the framework of evolutionary theory), more geneticists noticed these highly conserved sequences among the non-coding regions and the results are in the papers we've been discussing.

You can keep making the claim

Sheesh 6days, are you even paying attention? It's not me who's making that claim, it's the geneticists who do the work who are making that claim.
Through evolutionary analysis, we have identified candidate sequences for functional human transcribed pseudogenes, and have pinpointed 68 strong candidates for further investigation as potentially functional transcribed pseudogenes across multiple mammal species.
I'm curious....do you think they were lying when they wrote that?

And we can look at more than just research into pseudogenes. CLICK HERE for a Nat Geo blog post by Carl Zimmer where he describes (complete with citations) how geneticists at the Scripps Research Institute have been applying evolutionary theory to make all sorts of discoveries. Relevant to our current discussion...
Wahlestedt is finding these promoters, and it’s evolution he’s using as his guide. He and his colleagues described their approach in an open-access paper published earlier this year in the journal BMC Genomics. They lined up the sequences of human genes with their corresponding genes in mice. They then looked near the genes, in the long sequence of non-coding DNA, searching for short stretches of DNA that were similar in both species. Their reasoning was this: if a piece of non-coding DNA in the common ancestor of humans and mice didn’t serve an important function, it might pick up mutations over time without causing any harm. As a result, most non-coding sequences should be noticeably different in humans and mice, because we share an ancestor that lived some 100 million years ago. But switches probably played a vital role in that common ancestor, and most mutations that struck them would have had a devastating effect. Natural selection should have prevented most of these mutations from becoming fixed in both humans and mice. As a result, parts of DNA involved in switching genes on and off should look very similar in humans and mice, unlike the other non-coding DNA.

Wahlestedt and his colleagues used this method to identify a number of candidate switches. Further tests confirmed that most of them actually did affect the way genes work. And still more tests showed that humans carry different versions of these switches, and that these differences affect the way that these genes make proteins. If Wahlestedt had used creationism as his guide, he’d still be floundering in an ocean of DNA.
And if you look at the paper he's describing (CLICK HERE), you'll see that he's not exaggerating. The concept of "evolutionally conserved regions" is the entire basis for his work.

I will keep saying your wrong.

So that's how it is, eh? You're just going to keep saying "You're wrong. You're wrong. You're wrong." no matter what? Even when the scientists you're citing say "we used evolutionary theory" you'll just say "You're wrong"?

Well, I suppose you can keep saying black is white and up is down, but all you're doing is making yourself look ridiculous.

Finding similar functional sequences in multiple mammal series can be explained by a common Designer, or common ancestry.

So just as I predicted, you've left an enormous amount of unanswered questions and unaddressed facts on the table. One of those questions is, why does similar sequences = design? And another question is, if similarity = design, does that mean dissimilarity is evidence against design?

Further (another issue you ignored), are you saying that a designer, in crafting a regulatory sequence, would take a copy of a gene, break the exon region but keep the introns, and then put the whole thing....exons and all....in another section of the genome so that just the introns can regulate another gene?

How does that make any sense whatsoever? :confused:

function and purpose should be looked for in all of our genome...not just 68 sequences that seem to fit the common ancestry belief system.

Well there's a research opportunity for creationism! Like I said earlier, science is a "put up or shut up" endeavor. If creationists truly believe their framework is superior and would generate better results, then they need to show it.

So far, all we've seen is them (and you) sitting on the sidelines throwing rocks at the scientists who are actually doing the work and generating results. Pretty lame.

6days

The Duke said:
6days said:

... you really have no clue about quantum field theory, now do you...

I know enough about it to know that what I said was correct. Atheists have to believe that nothing created everything....

Or they believe that something has always existed.

The Duke said:
6days said:

In a manner of speaking, you're not wrong

Yes... or, you could just say that I was correct.

The Duke said:
the concept of descent with modification had never been proposed earlier.(before Darwin)

In a manner of speaking, you are wrong. From Wiki... "The proposal that one type of organism could descend from another type goes back to some of the first pre-Socratic Greek philosophers, such as Anaximander and Empedocles"

Tyrathca said:
The Duke said:
6days said:
By your own admission you've had 5,000 years and have nothing to show for it

Fairly certain, the question was with regard to evidence of creation

Yes... Thanks. Because of the evidence for creation, our world has benefitted through some of the things I mentioned.

The Duke said:
6days said:
The Bible however talks about earth as a sphere in space
Give me the bible quote about a sphere in space!!!!!

From the oldest book in God's Word
Job 26:7 "God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing"

Isaiah 40:22 says that God “sits above the circle of the earth”. The Hebrew word 'Khug' implies ball-shaped, and we see people in the years after Isaiah discussing our ball shaped earth

DavisBJ

"A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry"

"A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry"

TheDuke asked:
… Give me the bible quote about a sphere in space!!!!!
6days responded with:
…Isaiah 40:22 says that God “sits above the circle of the earth”. The Hebrew word 'Khug' implies ball-shaped…
I don’t know how qualified 6days is in ancient Hebrew, but I do know there are qualified scholars who disagree with him. Click on:

Tyrathca

I know enough about it to know that what I said was correct. Atheists have to believe that nothing created everything....

Or they believe that something has always existed.
Which really means that atheists admit they don't know the answer while Christians pretend they do.

Yes... Thanks. Because of the evidence for creation, our world has benefitted through some of the things I mentioned.
How has creationism led to those things? What product, technique, scientific breakthrough, whatever came about due to a creationism based prediction of the world?

A hospital made by a creationist is no more evidence of creationism benefits than a refugee camp created by evolutionists is evidence of evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.