Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisBJ

Dear 6days & patrickj,

I see no more purpose for me to try to waste the tugs at my heartstrings for people like DavisBJ. I have tried to reach out to him over and over out of the strong love of my heart and I give up trying to help him. I might pop in here once in a while to see what's happening, but otherwise I have little desire to post here anymore. DavisBJ's going to reap what he sows, and he continues to want to bring sore displeasure to God Himself. He deserves everything he gets. I don't know how often I have tried to help you, Davis, but you would not. I leave you to your own devices. Have at it!!

Michael
Hey Michael, I recall pretty clearly that you said you were leaving this thread a week or so ago. Of course I knew from long experience with you that that promise was no more credible than any of the previous broken ones littering your history. Just out of curiosity, did I recently say something specific that set you off? Was it my suggestion that you might have been praying to a Mother in Heaven? Some unresolved childhood issues between you and you mom coming to the fore here?

Derf

To all my dear theists

Test you faith by watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn_EPW17Fdc

(It's actually about the topic of this thread :)

Very interesting! I especially liked the part about giraffoidea in part 3 that shows giraffe evolution.
Here's what one sample looked like, supposedly:
640px-MEPAN_Sivatherium.jpg

Funny that I happened to find the same picture of one that was used in the video. Small world, I guess.

It's called a Sivatherium, and here's what I found out about it, from wikiwand.com. "It may have become extinct as recently as 8,000 years ago, as depictions that greatly resemble it are known from ancient rock paintings in the Sahara desert." (my highlighting) That's pretty amazing! Especially as the author of the videos was making fun of creationists for thinking that evolution would have to happen so rapidly to get all of the animals we have today from a few kinds that were on the ark, and now he uses this one that must have evolved so quickly--far more quickly than the current theory of evolution allows for--as a purported giraffe ancestor. Rather, most evolutionists think the longer necked giraffes have been around for some 8 to 10 million years. Whew! That's much better than having to side with the delusional creationists. But it makes short work of the intention of the video to dispel creationist propaganda by replacing it with evolutionist propaganda.

If you could assemble all these fossil bits and pieces into a short film replaying giraffe evolution, you wouldn’t end up with the smooth transformation of a small-statured herbivore into a towering, checkered browser. There’d be starts and stops and side stories, the ending not being a goal but a happenstance. In short, it’s time again to update those textbooks.
(That little gem, not including my added highlighting, is from http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/07/how-giraffes-became-winners-by-a-neck/. Boy, it's a good thing we get to have new editions of our textbooks, because it sure seems like the old ones aren't very trustworthy. And I'm completely bewildered about how all that evolution is going to fit into the 8000 years or so between the the sivatherium and the giraffe.

By the way, here's another picture of the same creature from the same wikiwand website. It's labelled "Outdated, moose-like restoration" on the website for pretty obvious reasons.
440px-SivatheriumLyd.jpg

Last edited:

alwight

Very interesting! I especially liked the part about giraffoidea in part 3 that shows giraffe evolution.
Here's what one sample looked like, supposedly:
640px-MEPAN_Sivatherium.jpg

Funny that I happened to find the same picture of one that was used in the video. Small world, I guess.

It's called a Sivatherium, and here's what I found out about it, from wikiwand.com. "It may have become extinct as recently as 8,000 years ago, as depictions that greatly resemble it are known from ancient rock paintings in the Sahara desert." (my highlighting) That's pretty amazing! Especially as the author of the videos was making fun of creationists for thinking that evolution would have to happen so rapidly to get all of the animals we have today from a few kinds that were on the ark, and now he uses this one that must have evolved so quickly--far more quickly than the current theory of evolution allows for--as a purported giraffe ancestor. Rather, most evolutionists think the longer necked giraffes have been around for some 8 to 10 million years. Whew! That's much better than having to side with the delusional creationists. But it makes short work of the intention of the video to dispel creationist propaganda by replacing it with evolutionist propaganda.

(That little gem, not including my added highlighting, is from http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/07/how-giraffes-became-winners-by-a-neck/. Boy, it's a good thing we get to have new editions of our textbooks, because it sure seems like the old ones aren't very trustworthy. And I'm completely bewildered about how all that evolution is going to fit into the 8000 years or so between the the sivatherium and the giraffe.

By the way, here's another picture of the same creature from the same wikiwand website. It's labelled "Outdated, moose-like restoration" on the website for pretty obvious reasons.
440px-SivatheriumLyd.jpg
Well spotted but I think you are making a typical creationist type misconception.
What is shown is a typical giraffe-like creature which shows the types of similar creatures of the time, which was clearly in many respects giraffe-like in appearance and by its given genus of giraffid. The chances of any discovered fossil being the actual ancestor of modern creatures is very small indeed. Most will indeed be dead ends.

But this one seems to have become extinct before Noah's supposed flood so I'm not too sure what creationists would make of that?

Derf

Well spotted but I think you are making a typical creationist type misconception.
What is shown is a typical giraffe-like creature which shows the types of similar creatures of the time, which was clearly in many respects giraffe-like in appearance and by its given genus of giraffid. The chances of any discovered fossil being the actual ancestor of modern creatures is very small indeed. Most will indeed be dead ends.

But this one seems to have become extinct before Noah's supposed flood so I'm not too sure what creationists would make of that?
My point (well, one of my points:)) was that it was not "clearly in many respects giraffe-like in appearance" (my embolding), else it wouldn't have been thought to look like this:
440px-SivatheriumLyd.jpg

prior to being thought to look like this:
340px-MEPAN_Sivatherium.jpg

But besides that, the video, as it was showing these various giraffid creatures, asked the question, "Why did the ancestors of the giraffe
look so much different?" Which suggests, of course, that either the author of the video considered these creatures to be giraffe ancestors or he was deliberately trying to mislead people to think those were giraffe ancestors. Either way, the credibility of the video is suspect. Giving the author the benefit of the doubt, perhaps creationists aren't the only ones to succumb to that pernicious "creationist type misconception".

But the timing question is a good one. I'll talk about it in my next post.

Derf

Was Noah's supposed flood before or after his actual flood? :confused:

Your question, if I understand it literally, is, "Assuming the biblical account, how could a giraffe-like sivatherium become extinct before Noah's flood?" Are you suggesting that according to the bible, animals never became extinct before the flood? I don't think the bible addresses that question. My guess is that in the 1500 or so years between creation and flood that relatively few animals went extinct. But that's purely a guess.

Maybe your question is really, "Since the animal became extinct 8000 years ago, and the earth (according to creationists) was really only created 6000 years ago, and these are obviously contradictory results, how can creationists continue to believe such ridiculous stuff?" That's pretty easy: The sivatherium extinction (not to mention it's actual existence) has been misdated.

But I still get the feeling I haven't gotten to the root of your question. Maybe you could respond with what your real problem is with creationists. I can't guarantee I'll have an answer, but let's have the conversation at least.

And here's a question for you: "How do you know when an animal went extinct?"

alwight

Was Noah's supposed flood before or after his actual flood? :confused:

Your question, if I understand it literally, is, "Assuming the biblical account, how could a giraffe-like sivatherium become extinct before Noah's flood?" Are you suggesting that according to the bible, animals never became extinct before the flood? I don't think the bible addresses that question. My guess is that in the 1500 or so years between creation and flood that relatively few animals went extinct. But that's purely a guess.

Maybe your question is really, "Since the animal became extinct 8000 years ago, and the earth (according to creationists) was really only created 6000 years ago, and these are obviously contradictory results, how can creationists continue to believe such ridiculous stuff?" That's pretty easy: The sivatherium extinction (not to mention it's actual existence) has been misdated.

But I still get the feeling I haven't gotten to the root of your question. Maybe you could respond with what your real problem is with creationists. I can't guarantee I'll have an answer, but let's have the conversation at least.

And here's a question for you: "How do you know when an animal went extinct?"
To cut to the chase my understanding is that sivatherium was reckoned to have been around since at least the early Pleistocene (2.5 million years ago).
If creationists choose not to accept that such a time ever existed then a discussion of the actual details and possible physical forms of a sivatherium at any given point in time or indeed place, which could have been various, is pointless. The question is actually about whether scientific evidence/conclusions are rejected because YECs think it is trumped by Genesis regardless of how rigorous and well evidenced the science.

However I will accept that if science has concluded by various means as it seems to, that the sivatherium was perhaps killed off by a combination of the last ice age and perhaps human predation then that is what seems reasonable to me, whatever Genesis might say otherwise.

Jose Fly

It's called a Sivatherium, and here's what I found out about it, from wikiwand.com. "It may have become extinct as recently as 8,000 years ago, as depictions that greatly resemble it are known from ancient rock paintings in the Sahara desert." (my highlighting) That's pretty amazing! Especially as the author of the videos was making fun of creationists for thinking that evolution would have to happen so rapidly to get all of the animals we have today from a few kinds that were on the ark, and now he uses this one that must have evolved so quickly--far more quickly than the current theory of evolution allows for--as a purported giraffe ancestor. Rather, most evolutionists think the longer necked giraffes have been around for some 8 to 10 million years.

You do understand that an ancestral species can coexist alongside the descendant species, even for very long periods of time, don't you?

And I'm completely bewildered about how all that evolution is going to fit into the 8000 years or so between the the sivatherium and the giraffe.

I guess you don't. Try and incorporate it into future discussions.

Derf

To cut to the chase my understanding is that sivatherium was reckoned to have been around since at least the early Pleistocene (2.5 million years ago).
Ok

If creationists choose not to accept that such a time ever existed then a discussion of the actual details and possible physical forms of a sivatherium at any given point in time or indeed place, which could have been various, is pointless.
When you say "such a time ever existed", you can mean one of a few possibilities, which could include, but may not be limited to, the following:
  1. 2.5 million years ago
  2. early pleistocene
  3. when the first sivatherium appeared
I would say that YECs would reject the first, but accept the other two. I think I probably fit in the YEC camp, for this discussion. This might take some explaining At the same time, I believe Genesis is more trustworthy than scientist's rather fragile interpretations.

So by "pointless", you're saying that if I don't accept #1 in that list, our discussion is over? Seems like one of us may be wasting our time in a forum on creation vs evolution.

The question is actually about whether scientific evidence/conclusions are rejected because YECs think it is trumped by Genesis regardless of how rigorous and well evidenced the science.
YECs probably don't always have the best reasons for rejecting scientific conclusions (I don't think "evidence" is scientific--it's just evidence). But it's better to reject scientists' conclusions than to reject evidence, don't you think? For instance, the sivatherium is believed to have been around during man's existence partly because rock art in the Sahara depicts them. The other part is that sivatherium "fossils" have been found, some with rather fresh, non-fossilized, material.

Interesting that both of these (art depicting the animal before their postmortem discovery by scientists, and bones with fresh-seeming material in them) things have been found for dinosaurs, too, but scientists have come to a different conclusion about how long the dinosaurs lasted. So, I'm a little confused. Why does science, or more appropriately, why do scientists use practically the same evidence for different species of animal to come to opposite conclusions? Seems like a discontinuity in the scientific method to me.

However I will accept that if science has concluded by various means as it seems to, that the sivatherium was perhaps killed off by a combination of the last ice age and perhaps human predation then that is what seems reasonable to me, whatever Genesis might say otherwise.
So, if the sivatherium's timeframe evidence includes man's art (and I should be able to add literature and history, if such existed), why is it that you would be willing to completely disregard evidence from a different source of man's art/history/literature? Is this a particular bias you have against the book of Genesis? Is this bias stronger than anything you might feel toward other books?

Derf

Ok

If creationists choose not to accept that such a time ever existed then a discussion of the actual details and possible physical forms of a sivatherium at any given point in time or indeed place, which could have been various, is pointless.
When you say "such a time ever existed", you can mean one of a few possibilities, which could include, but may not be limited to, the following:
  1. 2.5 million years ago
  2. early pleistocene
I would say that YECs would reject the first, but accept the other two. I think I probably fit in the YEC camp, for this discussion. This might take some explaining At the same time, I believe Genesis is more trustworthy than scientist's rather fragile interpretations.

So by "pointless", you're saying that if I don't accept #1 in that list, our discussion is over? Seems like one of us may be wasting our time in a forum on creation vs evolution.

The question is actually about whether scientific evidence/conclusions are rejected because YECs think it is trumped by Genesis regardless of how rigorous and well evidenced the science.
YECs probably don't always have the best reasons for rejecting scientific conclusions (I don't think "evidence" is scientific--it's just evidence). But it's better to reject scientists' conclusions than to reject evidence, don't you think? For instance, the sivatherium is believed to have been around during man's existence partly because rock art in the Sahara depicts them. The other part is that sivatherium "fossils" have been found, some with rather fresh, non-fossilized, material.

Interesting that both of these (art depicting the animal before their postmortem discovery by scientists, and bones with fresh-seeming material in them) things have been found for dinosaurs, too, but scientists have come to a different conclusion about how long the dinosaurs lasted. So, I'm a little confused. Why does science, or more appropriately, why do scientists use practically the same evidence for different species of animal to come to opposite conclusions? Seems like a discontinuity in the scientific method to me.

So, if the sivatherium's timeframe evidence includes man's art (and I should be able to add literature and history, if such existed), why is it that you would be willing to completely disregard evidence from a different source of man's art/history/literature? Is this a particular bias you have against the book of Genesis? Is this bias stronger than anything you might feel toward other books?

alwight

Ok

1. 2.5 million years ago
  2. early pleistocene
I don't see how defining a different early Pleistocene from the scientific one would be particularly helpful?
The first two are pretty much the same thing anyway.
Perhaps YECs will want to reject evidence of ice ages as being something to roughly measure the passing of long periods of time by? Or, failing that, dismissing radiometric dating methods, or the fossils found in the time based geological column, or the speed of light from distant galaxies?
But my real point is, even if you personally do worry about the scientific evidence, that YECs typically don't care what scientific conclusions may be because for them they are always trumped by a literal Genesis every time, which is why I say it is pointless.
Typically you haven't said why Genesis should be considered to be so historically accurate and why evidence based science seems to have universally conspired to present peer reviewed conclusions from all its branches that compliments rather than contradicts, which natural scientists pretty much wholly endorse.

If you are going to wave a literally interpreted Genesis at me to trump anything I say whatever science may conclude then yes of course there is nothing left to talk about.

I'm not sure you are right about the last part. I know about the T-Rex bone with supposedly soft tissue but even that isn't entirely true since the bone had to be cut open and the remains of blood vessels were identified as preserved by the iron in the blood apparently. "Fresh Meat" is only a creationist creation imo, but do cite any evidence that I may be unaware of.

If you want to cite your claimed scientific dispute then I'll take a look but to my knowledge there is no real dispute unless engineered by creationist websites perhaps.

I really don't see how Genesis is somehow self-evidenced while I don't know of any particular contention with animals depicted in ancient cave art so please do enlighten me on my supposed bias. Ancient men painting what they saw around them did not require any miraculous events to take place, they appear to be simple observations of daily life which I have not been asked to suspend my belief in the natural world, so why would I doubt?

iouae

Just because rock art paints a dinosaur does not prove IMHO that these shamans who drew the rock art ever saw dinosaurs. In their demon-inspired trances they may have seen dinosaurs and painted these, while never having ever seen a real dinosaur.

Every kid today can draw a dinosaur without ever having seen one.
Every scientist can draw a dinosaur without ever having seen one, just from bones.

I discount rock art as proving anything.
Rock art was like the internet of the old world. Don't believe everything you see.

iouae

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

But God was not finished creating yet because "...the earth was without form, and void" and as such uninhabitable.

So verse 1 is just the start of creation. The creation process takes a further 6 days to make it habitable and to stock it with life. Right?

If I were to then ask a Creationist, "What did God create on day 1?" and he answered "Light", he would be horribly wrong. Why?

Because God must have "created the heaven and the earth" early on the first day, and light only at the end. Any answer which leaves out one or the other scores 50%

So, on day one, God did two things. He created the heaven and the earth, AND also created light.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another possibility...

The Book of Genesis gets its name from the first word in Hebrew which is "Bereshiyth".
"Be" = a preposition such as "to", "in", "at" etc.
"reshiyth" = "beginning"...

Combining the two we get "In Beginning" or "Genesis".

Notice there is no definite article "THE".
It is actually a mistranslation to translate "Bereshiyth" = "In THE beginning..."

I am no Hebrew scholar, but the above is true.
The Hebrew does have a word for the definite article "the". It adds "hey-" as a prefix to the noun. It should read "Be-hey-reshiyth" to be translated "In-the-beginning".

This could be THE beginning, or A beginning. Hebrew has NO indefinite article. The indefinite article "a" is the default.

Thus the very first words of Genesis 1:1 are a mistranslation.
It gives the impression that it is describing THE VERY BEGINNING.

More accurately the first words of the Bible should read "In a beginning..."

In reality it is describing ONE OF MANY BEGINNINGS. Genesis 1 is describing a beginning. It could equally read "To begin (with) - God created the heavenS and THE earth". Here, "To begin" could simply mean, to begin this Book, or to begin the story.

I will point out in my next post that this could not be THE very beginning because where does light come from if the sun is only created on day 4, or three days later?

What was this light which was supposedly created on day 1?

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Michael, I recall pretty clearly that you said you were leaving this thread a week or so ago. Of course I knew from long experience with you that that promise was no more credible than any of the previous broken ones littering your history. Just out of curiosity, did I recently say something specific that set you off? Was it my suggestion that you might have been praying to a Mother in Heaven? Some unresolved childhood issues between you and you mom coming to the fore here?

Hey DavisBJ,

Don't flatter yourself. Of course, you saying Mother God does not faze me. I already know that God said, "Let us make man in our image;" not let us make man in a woman's image. He was a he, and so was the man He created. No, I am just tired of trying to co-exist with your awful, terrible things you say about my God and everything about Him. I can do without it now. Why put my neck out for you?? Just because I've said I'm tired of posting here doesn't mean I will still not post once in a while. I just won't be posting regularly and answering everyone's posts. I hope I made that clear earlier. Most of what I read here I will not respond to like I used to. And I will respond to you too, but my love for you has died. You killed it. I hope you are happy. I do still love Alwight and even Hedshaker, but not you. They don't act like you. You are filthy evil with what you say about God. You bring Shame upon your name.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

But God was not finished creating yet because "...the earth was without form, and void" and as such uninhabitable.

So verse 1 is just the start of creation. The creation process takes a further 6 days to make it habitable and to stock it with life. Right?

If I were to then ask a Creationist, "What did God create on day 1?" and he answered "Light", he would be horribly wrong. Why?

Because God must have "created the heaven and the earth" early on the first day, and light only at the end. Any answer which leaves out one or the other scores 50%

So, on day one, God did two things. He created the heaven and the earth, AND also created light.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another possibility...

The Book of Genesis gets its name from the first word in Hebrew which is "Bereshiyth".
"Be" = a preposition such as "to", "in", "at" etc.
"reshiyth" = "beginning"...

Combining the two we get "In Beginning" or "Genesis".

Notice there is no definite article "THE".
It is actually a mistranslation to translate "Bereshiyth" = "In THE beginning..."

I am no Hebrew scholar, but the above is true.
The Hebrew does have a word for the definite article "the". It adds "hey-" as a prefix to the noun. It should read "Be-hey-reshiyth" to be translated "In-the-beginning".

This could be THE beginning, or A beginning. Hebrew has NO indefinite article. The indefinite article "a" is the default.

Thus the very first words of Genesis 1:1 are a mistranslation.
It gives the impression that it is describing THE VERY BEGINNING.

More accurately the first words of the Bible should read "In a beginning..."

In reality it is describing ONE OF MANY BEGINNINGS. Genesis 1 is describing a beginning. It could equally read "To begin (with) - God created the heavenS and THE earth". Here, "To begin" could simply mean, to begin this Book, or to begin the story.

I will point out in my next post that this could not be THE very beginning because where does light come from if the sun is only created on day 4, or three days later?

What was this light which was supposedly created on day 1?

Dear iouae,

I know you are trying to make sense of Genesis. You must realize that there is other light besides sunlight. Florescent light, for one. Look at how fireflies light up. They do so without sunlight. There is no telling what kind of light that God made when it is written "Let there be light." Maybe it was incandescent light? There's all kinds of possibilities. God Bless You for trying.

Much Love Coming Your Way,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.