Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

Perhaps if God isn't omnipotent either we could switch His power supply off? :think:

I recall a Star Trek episode when they encountered Zeus and found the computer that controlled his powers.
When Kirk asked it the question "Why?" it went into a logic overload and Zeus was no more.:shocked:

Hedshaker

I would have said *s come from your keyboard, that or divine intervention perhaps? ;)

I'm not so sure. A few times, in my roll as someone who sorts out every ones computer, I've come across what is refereed to as a "sticky key" where a key switch on a keyboard will sometimes engage randomly. But 6days "*" generally occur at the end of a sentence.

I always thought they denoted some devastating point he thought he was making but now I'm a little bewildered.

Hedshaker

I always find the likes of iouae curious. People who find the evidence for evolution compelling, which it is, but also need their religious beliefs to follow suit. They then search for ways to harmonize the two. It's quite fascinating really.

Trouble is there is no scientific evidence for a global flood. Bummer, but there is is.

Hedshaker

So did I, then I realised that no, that certainly couldn't be true.* (oops):)

Then if not, logically there must be some reason why they occur at the end of a sentence. How does the keyboard know ?

Keyboards are cheap, get a new one 6days and clear this up.

ETA: Lol I just though, he might be using a lap top. Ok it's late.......

iouae

I always find the likes of iouae curious. People who find the evidence for evolution compelling, which it is, but also need their religious beliefs to follow suit. They then search for ways to harmonize the two. It's quite fascinating really.

Trouble is there is no scientific evidence for a global flood. Bummer, but there is is.

Now that one is the real easy one to disprove.
Its hard to find a mountain on earth without sedimentary rock containing ancient marine molusks.

And while one is looking at strata, its so interesting to see how completely different the fossils are in consecutive layers. No transition species, no missing links. Pure evidence of mass extinction and replenishing by God of a completely new and different ecosystem.

Believe me, to date, I find no cognitive dissonance in believing in an old earth replenished multiple times by a very busy God.

I consider you evolutionists to be the true men of faith :)

6days

iouae said:
A) I do believe that in 6 days God created the heavens, earth, sea with its new heavenly (bird), earthly (angiosperms, man) and marine creatures (whale) life. It was a completely new creation, one of many.
You believe it but it isn't scriptural.

iouae said:
B) There have been MANY beginnings. Its a whole Bible study which the Bible supports. Christ was slain from the foundation (one beginning), man created at another, the post flood world was a new beginning.
Trying to shoehorn billions of years into scripture has caused you to accept compromise.

Your false argument that "formless and void" (Hebrew- tohu wabohu) refers to something fallen in disrepair, or a state of chaos. So you suggest the translation should read 'became formless and void'.

Your first hint that you are wrong is that no major translation of the Bible says that the earth 'became' formless.

Also, false because 'tohu wabohu' does not mean chaos or disrepair. The phrase simply means what it says in most translations. The earth was without form and empty. There were no inhabitants on earth. The earth had not yet been formed... there was no dry land, no mountains etc.

iouae said:
C) I do believe God experimented with proto-Adams. Neanderthals were very uncreative, same stone axes and spears, no bartering, no progression of culture. So H erectus and H heidelbergensis etc were tried till these functioned more in His image, after His likeness. Yes I believe that even God experiments till He gets it right. That may be why we have a New Covenant.
Your knowledge of Neandertals is almost as poor as your understanding of the nature of God. Genetics shows we arw descendants of Neandertals. So you seem at odds with both evolutionists and with scripture. *

iouae said:
D) The whole fossil record is full of T Rex with big teeth eating everything else, long before 6000 years ago.
Animals cannot sin. Sin entered not with one man, but one woman and with it eternal death without a saviour.*
God had dinosaurs live long before man to die in a mass extinction so you and I can commute in these latter times. Thank God for gas.
Again....your knowledge of science is almost as weak as your knowledge of scripture.*

alwight

Then if not, logically there must be some reason why they occur at the end of a sentence. How does the keyboard know ?

Keyboards are cheap, get a new one 6days and clear this up.

ETA: Lol I just though, he might be using a lap top. Ok it's late.......
I use 3 different keyboards on my laptop including the built in one.
A Bluetooth keyboard only cost me £20. Then I have a full size wireless keyboard for my actual laptop since a laptop on your actual laptop gets a bit too hot.

alwight

I wish it was so easy. The * appear only when using a mobile phone. I have had same problem with 2 different high end Samsungs.
The American keyboard sometimes has a few differences and some characters may be on different keys. To get a "*" I have to use SHIFT 8 (under the function keys) UK, do you not have to use a SHIFT perhaps? I suspect that your "*" is perhaps next to the ENTER?
I'm suggesting that you have fat fingers btw. ;)

Hedshaker

Now that one is the real easy one to disprove.
Its hard to find a mountain on earth without sedimentary rock containing ancient marine molusks.

And while one is looking at strata, its so interesting to see how completely different the fossils are in consecutive layers. No transition species, no missing links. Pure evidence of mass extinction and replenishing by God of a completely new and different ecosystem.

Believe me, to date, I find no cognitive dissonance in believing in an old earth replenished multiple times by a very busy God.

I consider you evolutionists to be the true men of faith :)

Of course you do, your cherished beliefs depend on it. The fact that you accept the theory of evolution means there is a sceptic in there trying to get out. And cognitive dissonance isn't always something that is staring you in the face. It can be a cruel and deceiving mistress.

Do you honestly believe that the vast scientific community, including many Christians, are all people who take The Theory of Evolution on Faith? Really?

Good luck to you if you do. Believe what you want if beliefs are more important to you than truth. But don't expect others to buy it because it's blatantly wrong

Hedshaker

I wish it was so easy. The * appear only when using a mobile phone. I have had same problem with 2 different high end Samsungs.

Simple then, get an iphone..... No. Kidding. I must admit I'm stumped. I can't remember any time the * appeared any time other than the end of a sentence but maybe that's because I already made up my mind that they did.

There must be a logical reason though

iouae

Your first hint that you are wrong is that no major translation of the Bible says that the earth 'became' formless.

And that's why so many Christians believe in a young earth.

The word "was" is Heb "Hayah" Strongs H1961
to be, BECOME, come to pass, happen, fall out
take place, come about, to come into being etc.

So please, let's just accept what the experts all agree upon, that it CAN mean become. The fact that translations choose "was" is irrelevant to me.

iouae

Of course you do, your cherished beliefs depend on it. The fact that you accept the theory of evolution means there is a sceptic in there trying to get out. And cognitive dissonance isn't always something that is staring you in the face. It can be a cruel and deceiving mistress.

Do you honestly believe that the vast scientific community, including many Christians, are all people who take The Theory of Evolution on Faith? Really?

Good luck to you if you do. Believe what you want if beliefs are more important to you than truth. But don't expect others to buy it because it's blatantly wrong

Once one accepts that God is a creator, its very easy to look at each creature in the fossil record as just another beautiful act of creation. Even the ugly, nasty ones :)

Derf

Iouae answered your assertion about global flood evidence, and I was expectantly looking forward to your answer. Do you have a rebuttal?

Hedshaker

Once one accepts that God is a creator, its very easy to look at each creature in the fossil record as just another beautiful act of creation. Even the ugly, nasty ones :)

I don't take faith as evidence. Reality does not bend to what we want. It doesn't work like that. Follow science and be prepared to have your mind blown.

Nature is so wondrous all on its own I can not understand why anyone wants to add to it, but that's just me. Believe what you want, it's your mind

iouae

Your false argument that "formless and void" (Hebrew- tohu wabohu) refers to something fallen in disrepair, or a state of chaos. So you suggest the translation should read 'became formless and void'.

Also, false because 'tohu wabohu' does not mean chaos or disrepair. The phrase simply means what it says in most translations. The earth was without form and empty. There were no inhabitants on earth. The earth had not yet been formed... there was no dry land, no mountains etc.

Again....your knowledge of science is almost as weak as your knowledge of scripture.*

I know what "without form and void" means.
As you say, it means just that, which is how the earth became after a mass extinction.

Is 45:18 says...

18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Here the word for "vain" is Strongs H8414, same word for "without form" in Gen 1:2.

So putting the two together, God did not create the earth "tohu".
Thus it must have become this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.