Courtship vs. Dating

Zimfan

Originally posted by Elaine
I agree with you on your conclusion of what the issue at hand is, but I would like to clarify it as follows: The issue in discussion is whether the influence of peer groups, public school teachers, public school textbooks, and the public school environment for kids who go to public school is greater than that of their parents.

Fine with me.

Definitely not. But that doesn't justify murder, for a quick example. We are simply under a "higher law."

I do not equate allowing your children to be taught by those trained to do so with murder. Also, it seems to me that their is more than one way to take responsibility for teaching their children. Parents can home-school their kids and do it all theirselves, or pay taxes and be involved with the public school their kids go to.

What exactly is wrong with anecdotal evidence? Not broad enough? Or do you think I made those things up?

It is hard to be sure of the veracity of anecdotal evidence.

:nono: Anecdotal evidence!!

( :) You did it first, i figured it was ok now.)

I think it was both the teachers and the students. I'd have to get it from him again to be sure, though. Another interesting bit of information is that a teacher got his brother onto dope...

That teacher should be fired for the same reason that a parent who did the same should have their children taken away.

I can't discuss that since I don't know the extent of your family's resources. :idea: Hey! Aren't you using "anecdotal evidence" again? :think:

See response to the first time you mentioned it.

And how can their parents really teach them well, when they can't spend a lot of time with them?

Most parents manage to find a way to keep at least one parent at home for the first 5 or so years of their child's life. Add to this time spent with the kids most evenings of the week and every weekend and I think that parents have a chance to spend plenty of time with their children, even if the kids go to a public school. Whether they take advantage of that time is another matter.

What do you call teaching evolution? I know a boy who was in the second grade when a teacher tried to force him to write an answer on a test which conflicted with his beliefs.

Evolution is a scientific theory. It has nothing to do with religion. Still, it is only a theory and I don't think any student should be forced to take it as fact. That teacher should be fired.

Would you try to explain what sort of meditation you are referring to?

The two kinds I mentioned.

Then we agree on that much! :chuckle:

I think we agree on most things.

I know, there are still some which can make it through the public school system, but not many do, and I certainly wouldn't want to risk it with my children.

I would say most. You have a right to do whatever you want regarding in regard to the education of your children. I would rather my children have a little more exposure to conflicting beliefs. I think it teaches them to think more critically.

Sometimes they do.

It's still illegal. Sometime postal workers go on shooting rampages, but I will not tell my children to fear the post office.

Do you believe in creation or not, Zimfan? Most schools include teaching evolution as a fact in their science curricula.

Yes, but the two are not mutually exclusive. I have always felt somewhat ambivalent towards evolution. I'll just have to ask God when I get the chance. Also, I was taught that in school that it was a widely held theory. If you don't want your kids believing it is fact, you should have a talk with them.

Do I detect sarcasm? :angel:

Maybe just a bit. :)

It is the parent's decision, but I believe the right choice is homeschooling.

I believe it depends on the family and the circumstances.

Probably true. They send their kids off to daycare, school, and college, and then they wonder why their kids don't have good morals. :sigh:

Parents still have the opportunity to teach morals to their children, even if they send their kids to all three. Home-schooling is not a panacea that will cure the moral problems of children. Good parenting is.

Zimfan

:doh: I forgot to include the findings of a study I found on the subject. It was done by sociologists Ronald Jay Werner-Wilson and Osnet Arbel. They concluded that "adolescents report that their parents are more likely to influence decisions about moral issues, while peers are more likely to influence decisions about social ones."

Zimfan

Re: Here we go again...

Re: Here we go again...

...but, if they have not learned it well and had it refreshed very often, they will likely "atrophy." :(

Sad but true. I think this happens often due to lazy parenting. They don't want to got to the trouble of teaching values to their children. While just about all parents who home-school aren't lazy, not all who send their kids to public school are. Thus, through inductive reasoning one can hypothesize that since home-schooled kids are more likely to be morally well grounded and kids who go through public school are less likely that the schooling makes the difference. However, I believe the parents are the crucial variable that make the difference, not the schooling they choose for their children.

Last edited:

Elaine

Originally posted by Zimfan
Fine with me.
Good. Now we know what we are disagreeing about! :D
I do not equate allowing your children to be taught by those trained to do so with murder.
Nor do I. Please remember that I was using it as an example...
Also, it seems to me that there is more than one way to take responsibility for teaching their children. Parents can home-school their kids and do it all themselves, or pay taxes and be involved with the public school their kids go to.
"Being involved" with the kids is difficult while still sending them to public school. Then, too, where I live you have to pay tax money to the schools whether you send your kids to them or not. :down:
It is hard to be sure of the veracity of anecdotal evidence.( :) You did it first, i figured it was ok now.)
:crackup:
That teacher should be fired for the same reason that a parent who did the same should have their children taken away.
I agree.
Most parents manage to find a way to keep at least one parent at home for the first 5 or so years of their child's life. Add to this time spent with the kids most evenings of the week and every weekend and I think that parents have a chance to spend plenty of time with their children, even if the kids go to a public school. Whether they take advantage of that time is another matter.
How far into the first five years of a child's life can the child learn morals from its parents? Don't forget homework time in the evenings.
Evolution is a scientific theory. It has nothing to do with religion. Still, it is only a theory and I don't think any student should be forced to take it as fact. That teacher should be fired.
Yes, the teacher should be fired, but, as far as we know, she wasn't.
I think we agree on most things.
I was thinking we might, too...:think:
I would say most. You have a right to do whatever you want regarding in regard to the education of your children. I would rather my children have a little more exposure to conflicting beliefs. I think it teaches them to think more critically.
As a homeschooled student, it's not that I haven't had exposure to conflicting beliefs, but that I have been taught about what was wrong with them instead of just being handed a Bible and shoved right into the middle of them without knowing what to do. There isn't much opportunity for that teaching when the kids go to the public schools. My dad teaches us about the Bible daily. I wouldn't get that if I wasn't homeschooled.
It's still illegal. Sometime postal workers go on shooting rampages, but I will not tell my children to fear the post office.
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with our discussion.
Yes, but the two are not mutually exclusive. I have always felt somewhat ambivalent towards evolution. I'll just have to ask God when I get the chance.
What for? Hasn't God's Word already told you; "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."?
Also, I was taught that in school that it was a widely held theory.
A widely held theory which contradicts the Bible, by the way.
Maybe just a bit. :)
:chuckle:
I believe it depends on the family and the circumstances. Parents still have the opportunity to teach morals to their children, even if they send their kids to all three. Home-schooling is not a panacea that will cure the moral problems of children. Good parenting is.
At any rate, they can not teach them very thoroughly. No, homeschooling will not fix everything, but it will allow parents to teach their children as they should and to "bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."
I forgot to include the findings of a study I found on the subject. It was done by sociologists Ronald Jay Werner-Wilson and Osnet Arbel. They concluded that "adolescents report that their parents are more likely to influence decisions about moral issues, while peers are more likely to influence decisions about social ones."
Thanks for all this "evidence" you've been digging up for me, but--do you notice anything wrong with it? It's rather vague, for one thing. "Adolescents report"...What adolescents? They give us no idea about where they got the information or how large a group of adolescents was polled (assuming that's how they got it). For all we know, they could have made the whole thing up. That makes it about as useful, but not quite, as anecdotal evidence...:chuckle:
Sad but true. I think this happens often due to lazy parenting. They don't want to got to the trouble of teaching values to their children. While just about all parents who home-school aren't lazy, not all who send their kids to public school are. Thus, through inductive reasoning one can hypothesize that since home-schooled kids are more likely to be morally well grounded and kids who go through public school are less likely that the schooling makes the difference.
However, I believe the parents are the crucial variable that make the difference, not the schooling they choose for their children.
Despite your own inductive logic? :noway:

ShadowMaid

I haven't read all of the rest of the thread, but keep going Elaine!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I'll try to post some tomorrow and help you out.

Zimfan

Nor do I. Please remember that I was using it as an example...

When I said that Christians are not under the law and thus the verse you cited may not apply to us you said:

Definitely not. But that doesn't justify murder, for a quick example. We are simply under a "higher law."

It seemed to me that you implied that since the Law tells us not to murder and it's obvious we shouldn't murder despite being not being under the Law that we should also follow the verse from the Law you previously mentioned. Thus you appeared to give both moral instructions equal or at least similiar weight. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Being involved" with the kids is difficult while still sending them to public school.

I don't believe so.

Then, too, where I live you have to pay tax money to the schools whether you send your kids to them or not. :down:

This is because we live in a representative republic. At some point our representatives came to the conclusion that the idea of an equal chance at education for all was a noble goal and the best way to do it was to implement a public school system. Noone voted them out of office at the next election, so the system was put into place and we're stuck with it until a majority of voters decide they're sick of it and elect people who think as they do. Even if you don't like it, I think that this is a "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" situation. Some people don't believe in putting money into national defense, but I don't think they should be exempt from paying taxes just because they disagree with where some of that tax money goes.

How far into the first five years of a child's life can the child learn morals from its parents?

I know of a few studies on that subject but won't bring them up lest you question the integrity of those researchers, too. ;) I'll just say that having observed how parents can turn their kids into quiet, obedient children or little brats by the age of 5 I believe parents can have a huge impact on how their children will behave during those early years and that influence would arguably extend into moral spheres as well. Still, for more of my opinions on the age children should start going to public schools look a few responses below this one.

Don't forget homework time in the evenings.

Parents can do their children's homework with them! This gives them an excellent chance to review what their children are learning in school and tell them what they think about those things. I'd hope even parents who home-school go over their children's homework with them, especially when the kids are young.

Yes, the teacher should be fired, but, as far as we know, she wasn't.

Then the parents should work to get that teacher fired or at least have their children put in another class.

As a homeschooled student, it's not that I haven't had exposure to conflicting beliefs, but that I have been taught about what was wrong with them instead of just being handed a Bible and shoved right into the middle of them without knowing what to do. There isn't much opportunity for that teaching when the kids go to the public schools. My dad teaches us about the Bible daily. I wouldn't get that if I wasn't homeschooled.

Maybe YOU wouldn't. I did, as did my best friend. I think it is good for older kids to evaluate differing beliefs for themselves, not just be told what's wrong with them. For the record, I don't believe younger children(under twelve or so) should be exposed to much of the nonsense one finds in public school. I think the government should use some of the money it spends on elementary schools too help subsidize parents to make it easier for those of limited means to teach their children at home. That way the kids would have time to benefit from their parents' moral instruction and be more prepared to deal with some of the negative things they may find in the public schools while still being able to learn from the positive ones.

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with our discussion.

Some teachers are bad. Some postal workers are bad. This doesn't mean the institutions to which they belong are bad. That is like saying that since a very few home-schooling parents don't send their children to public school so as to be able to hide the beatings they give them that home-schooling is bad.

What for? Hasn't God's Word already told you; "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."?

I'm not sure whether God was being literal when he said how many "days" it took Him to create the Earth and all the living things on it. Thus, there is some possibility that there was time for macroevolution to happen and that God guided the animals to evolve as they did. I don't feel qualified to decide if that is how it happened or not. I unequivocally do Not believe Humans evolved from lesser life forms, however.

A widely held theory which contradicts the Bible, by the way.

Arguing that with me would be rather like me arguing with you that children must be taught evolution because it is definitely true(not something I believe, BTW.At least, not the definitely). Or, in other words...:bang:

At any rate, they can not teach them very thoroughly. No, homeschooling will not fix everything, but it will allow parents to teach their children as they should and to "bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

I believe they can do that on Sundays and after school.

Thanks for all this "evidence" you've been digging up for me, but--do you notice anything wrong with it? It's rather vague, for one thing. "Adolescents report"...What adolescents? They give us no idea about where they got the information or how large a group of adolescents was polled (assuming that's how they got it). For all we know, they could have made the whole thing up. That makes it about as useful, but not quite, as anecdotal evidence...:chuckle:

:sigh: Sociological researchers are often vague, I'm afraid. It's because popular sociological theories change every other minute and being vague makes it easier to explain wh there stance changes so easily to the flavor of the week. They weren't sure before but now they're on the right track! :nono:

Despite your own inductive logic? :noway:

I'm sorry I didn't make my point clearer. Inductive reasoning is poor and easily subject to misconceptions. I was trying to criticize the obvious inductive conclusion and should have said how my deductive reasoning came to MY conclusion.

I'll give an example to illustrate why I dislike inductive reasoning.
Note: inductive is making a general conclusion from specific pieces of evidence. Deductive reasoning is starting with a general proposition and attempting to make conclusions about a specific instance.

Let us pretend that I'm overweight and wish to change that. I have three aquaintances all of whom are thin and in very good shape. I also have aquaintances that are overweight and in poor health. I notice that all the healthy ones eat whole wheat bread and that none of the unhealthy ones do. I assume that eating whole wheat bread will make me healthy even if I don't change any other part of my diet or exercise habits. I am being short sighted and not considering that other aspects of the diet and other habits of the healthy aquaintances are as or more important. I ignore the possibility that there may be healthy people who do not eat whole wheat bread. I can't see the forest for the trees.

Now, my deductive reasoning being applied to the influence of public schools versus parents when it comes to morals.

My general proposition: That parental influence is more important than that of the schools.

Specifics: I know many people who went to public schools and are still very moral. I also know(through TOL) many who were home-schooled and are very moral.

The common factor: Good parents who taught them right.

Complementary specifics: I know many people who went to public schools and are not moral. I know a few(one in particular) who were home-schooled and are not very moral.

The common factor: Poor parents who never really tried to instill good morals in their children.

Ergo, it seems to me that the deciding factor in how moral a child will become is the parents, not the schools. Parents who have an avid interest in teaching morals to their children may be(probaly are) more likely to home-school, but that does not mean that the schooling is the deciding factor. People who eat whole wheat bread may pay more attention to there health than those who don't(on average), but that does not mean that the bread is the deciding factor in health. This is why I believe as I do. I apologize for rambling and thank you for having the patience to read my only semi-coherent thoughts.

Last edited:

Elaine

Originally posted by ShadowMaid
I haven't read all of the rest of the thread, but keep going Elaine!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I'll try to post some tomorrow and help you out.
Yeah, thanks, ShadowMaid. A little help would be appreciated; two heads are better than one. :D :up:

Elaine

When I said that Christians are not under the law and thus the verse you cited may not apply to us you said:
It seemed to me that you implied that since the Law tells us not to murder and it's obvious we shouldn't murder despite being not being under the Law that we should also follow the verse from the Law you previously mentioned. Thus you appeared to give both moral instructions equal or at least similiar weight. Correct me if I'm wrong.
:doh: Okay, let me try to explain this. Here are some Bible verses about the fulfilling of the Law:
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the Law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh mind things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:1-8. Also, Romans 8:33-34; "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us." And; "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace....For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself....But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law." Galatians 5:1-4, 14, & 18.
I interpret this to mean that we are not to engage in trying to save ourselves by works and keeping the Law, and are free from the Law. We are still to try to obey it, though. If you keep the "Golden Rule," you will be keeping the rest of the commandments.
I don't believe so.
I do, though. It doesn't look like either of us are going to convert the other on this point.
This is because we live in a representative republic. At some point our representatives came to the conclusion that the idea of an equal chance at education for all was a noble goal and the best way to do it was to implement a public school system. Noone voted them out of office at the next election, so the system was put into place and we're stuck with it until a majority of voters decide they're sick of it and elect people who think as they do.
Thanks for the info, but I already knew that...
Even if you don't like it, I think that this is a "give to Caesar what is Caesar's"
What if I believe it's wrong?
I know of a few studies on that subject but won't bring them up lest you question the integrity of those researchers, too. ;)
:chuckle: Who? Me? :angel:
I'll just say that having observed how parents can turn their kids into quiet, obedient children or little brats by the age of 5 I believe parents can have a huge impact on how their children will behave during those early years and that influence would arguably extend into moral spheres as well.
During the early years, yes, but as they begin spending more time in the public school environment their surroundings will affect them more than their parents.
Parents can do their children's homework with them! This gives them an excellent chance to review what their children are learning in school and tell them what they think about those things.
Not a bad idea, but what if their parents aren't "qualified" to help them with their homework? What if the parents have work hours which won't let them help with homework?
I'd hope even parents who home-school go over their children's homework with them, especially when the kids are young.
Lol. We don't have homework (or it's all homework..:think: ). Also, so much of that wouldn't be necessary, since most homeschooled kids spend more time with their parents than with anyone else.
Then the parents should work to get that teacher fired or at least have their children put in another class.
Actually, the parents did the best thing possible and pulled their son out of school (but not before his sister had been forced to read swear words out loud in reading class.) They are now homeschooled.
Maybe YOU wouldn't. I did, as did my best friend. I think it is good for older kids to evaluate differing beliefs for themselves, not just be told what's wrong with them. For the record, I don't believe younger children(under twelve or so) should be exposed to much of the nonsense one finds in public school. I think the government should use some of the money it spends on elementary schools too help subsidize parents to make it easier for those of limited means to teach their children at home. That way the kids would have time to benefit from their parents' moral instruction and be more prepared to deal with some of the negative things they may find in the public schools while still being able to learn from the positive ones.
Actually, that's just what we don't want. When the government gets involved, they take too much control.
Some teachers are bad. Some postal workers are bad. This doesn't mean the institutions to which they belong are bad. That is like saying that since a very few home-schooling parents don't send their children to public school so as to be able to hide the beatings they give them that home-schooling is bad.
I'm saying that public schools are bad, regardless of the teachers. The majority of teachers will have some sort of bias which will affect their teaching. The textbooks are bad enough.
I'm not sure whether God was being literal when he said how many "days" it took Him to create the Earth and all the living things on it. Thus, there is some possibility that there was time for macroevolution to happen and that God guided the animals to evolve as they did. I don't feel qualified to decide if that is how it happened or not. I unequivocally do Not believe Humans evolved from lesser life forms, however.
I don't see any question about whether they were literal days. Genesis 1:5 says, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." Also, the Hebrew word used for "day" is yom, which means "a twenty-four hour day." So, I don't think 2 Peter 3:8 applies here.
I believe they can do that on Sundays and after school.
And I don't think there would be time to do it properly. This looks like another point where neither of us will win...:noid:
:sigh: Sociological researchers are often vague, I'm afraid. It's because popular sociological theories change every other minute and being vague makes it easier to explain wh there stance changes so easily to the flavor of the week. They weren't sure before but now they're on the right track! :nono:
:chuckle:
I'm sorry I didn't make my point clearer. Inductive reasoning is poor and easily subject to misconceptions. I was trying to criticize the obvious inductive conclusion and should have said how my deductive reasoning came to MY conclusion.

I'll give an example to illustrate why I dislike inductive reasoning.
Note: inductive is making a general conclusion from specific pieces of evidence. Deductive reasoning is starting with a general proposition and attempting to make conclusions about a specific instance.

Let us pretend that I'm overweight and wish to change that. I have three aquaintances all of whom are thin and in very good shape. I also have aquaintances that are overweight and in poor health. I notice that all the healthy ones eat whole wheat bread and that none of the unhealthy ones do. I assume that eating whole wheat bread will make me healthy even if I don't change any other part of my diet or exercise habits. I am being short sighted and not considering that other aspects of the diet and other habits of the healthy aquaintances are as or more important. I ignore the possibility that there may be healthy people who do not eat whole wheat bread. I can't see the forest for the trees.

Now, my deductive reasoning being applied to the influence of public schools versus parents when it comes to morals.

My general proposition: That parental influence is more important than that of the schools.

Specifics: I know many people who went to public schools and are still very moral. I also know(through TOL) many who were home-schooled and are very moral.

The common factor: Good parents who taught them right.

Complementary specifics: I know many people who went to public schools and are not moral. I know a few(one in particular) who were home-schooled and are not very moral.

The common factor: Poor parents who never really tried to instill good morals in their children.

Ergo, it seems to me that the deciding factor in how moral a child will become is the parents, not the schools. Parents who have an avid interest in teaching morals to their children may be(probaly are) more likely to home-school, but that does not mean that the schooling is the deciding factor. People who eat whole wheat bread may pay more attention to there health than those who don't(on average), but that does not mean that the bread is the deciding factor in health. This is why I believe as I do. I apologize for rambling and thank you for having the patience to read my only semi-coherent thoughts.
Don't worry; your thinking is obvious enough now. :D I think there are some other things you should have considered, though. For instance, how many of these moral people who were public schooled were "moral" all the way through school? How many of them had to get back to Christ later in life, or had never even been saved at all while they were in school?

Zimfan

I interpret this to mean that we are not to engage in trying to save ourselves by works and keeping the Law, and are free from the Law. We are still to try to obey it, though. If you keep the "Golden Rule," you will be keeping the rest of the commandments.

I would say that we have a moral obligation to provide an eduacation to children whose parents don't have the time or the resources to teach them themselves.

I do, though. It doesn't look like either of us are going to convert the other on this point.

:bang: ... :D

Thanks for the info, but I already knew that...

Than goodness....or perhaps thank your parents.

What if I believe it's wrong?

In this case it may be irelevant. You can't pick and choose where your taxes go and as long as you enjoy the benefit of public facilities you have an obligation to pay them. Jesus felt that people should pay taxes to Caesar and I'm sure he disagreed with many of the things Rome did.

:chuckle: Who? Me? :angel:

Yes, you and your compulsive need to play :devil: 's advocate with me. :)

During the early years, yes, but as they begin spending more time in the public school environment their surroundings will affect them more than their parents.

One could make that argument about kids who go to college. You have to enter into the real world and be exposed to people who think wrongly eventually. I don't believe spending time in a public school 5 days a week negates the effect of the parents.

Not a bad idea, but what if their parents aren't "qualified" to help them with their homework? What if the parents have work hours which won't let them help with homework?

Then they aren't qualified to home-school them, either. If both the parents work evenings and leave their kids alone at night then they have bigger problems than how their children are schooled.

Lol. We don't have homework (or it's all homework..:think: ). Also, so much of that wouldn't be necessary, since most homeschooled kids spend more time with their parents than with anyone else.

It's still helpful. At younger ages I think that kids should do their HW with someone who understands better than they do and can help them. Parents are often in a good position to do this.

Actually, the parents did the best thing possible and pulled their son out of school (but not before his sister had been forced to read swear words out loud in reading class.) They are now homeschooled.

Good for them.

Actually, that's just what we don't want. When the government gets involved, they take too much control.

:think: I've many public school advocates say the same thing about parents who get involved in their children's education (Not that I agree with them, just noting...)

I'm saying that public schools are bad, regardless of the teachers. The majority of teachers will have some sort of bias which will affect their teaching. The textbooks are bad enough.

Teachers aren't payed to teach morals to children. Their moral bias shouldn't affect their ability to teach secular subjects. If they do they should(and often are) fired.

I don't see any question about whether they were literal days. Genesis 1:5 says, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." Also, the Hebrew word used for "day" is yom, which means "a twenty-four hour day." So, I don't think 2 Peter 3:8 applies here.

I've heard very convincing arguments to the contrary. Right now I choose not to get into this particular subject.

And I don't think there would be time to do it properly. This looks like another point where neither of us will win...:noid:
:bang:

Don't worry; your thinking is obvious enough now. :D I think there are some other things you should have considered, though. For instance, how many of these moral people who were public schooled were "moral" all the way through school? How many of them had to get back to Christ later in life, or had never even been saved at all while they were in school?

We are trying to determine "whether the influence of peer groups, public school teachers, public school textbooks, and the public school environment for kids who go to public school is greater than that of their parents.", not whether schools can have some negative influence. In the end the only common factor in how the kids believed winded up being was the parents. I don't deny that home-schooling is better than public school. I just deny that the schooling has a greater affect on the child's moral development than the parents themselves.

P.S. I've met very few people who became saved once out of school and most of them went to Christian private schools. Most also had parents who believed punishment was the only way to get their kids to behave morally. I'd include them as among the parents who teach their kids poorly, even if they themselves were moral people.

Zimfan

What?, no cheerleader for me?, oh well. :D

Elaine

I would say that we have a moral obligation to provide an eduacation to children whose parents don't have the time or the resources to teach them themselves.
If that's true, then we should teach them "morally."
Than goodness....or perhaps thank your parents.
Both. :D
In this case it may be irelevant. You can't pick and choose where your taxes go and as long as you enjoy the benefit of public facilities you have an obligation to pay them. Jesus felt that people should pay taxes to Caesar and I'm sure he disagreed with many of the things Rome did.
Whether something is right or wrong is never irrelevant. I know we can't choose where our taxes go, though we should be able to, but nor do we enjoy the "benefit" of public schools. Don't forget that children are a gift from the Lord, and "render to God the things that are God's."[/quote]
Yes, you and your compulsive need to play :devil: 's advocate with me. :)
:eek:
One could make that argument about kids who go to college. You have to enter into the real world and be exposed to people who think wrongly eventually. I don't believe spending time in a public school 5 days a week negates the effect of the parents.
Am I correct when I assume that you believe homeschoolers are "sheltered?"
Then they aren't qualified to home-school them, either. If both the parents work evenings and leave their kids alone at night then they have bigger problems than how their children are schooled.
That won't take away the problem...
It's still helpful. At younger ages I think that kids should do their HW with someone who understands better than they do and can help them. Parents are often in a good position to do this.
As I just said, we don't have homework. Our parents help us with all of our schoolwork.
Good for them.
One more thing we agree on!
:think: I've many public school advocates say the same thing about parents who get involved in their children's education (Not that I agree with them, just noting...)
Well, God gave the control of the children to the parents.
Teachers aren't payed to teach morals to children. Their moral bias shouldn't affect their ability to teach secular subjects. If they do they should(and often are) fired.
Not often enough, I'm afraid.
I've heard very convincing arguments to the contrary. Right now I choose not to get into this particular subject.
Okay.
We are trying to determine "whether the influence of peer groups, public school teachers, public school textbooks, and the public school environment for kids who go to public school is greater than that of their parents.", not whether schools can have some negative influence. In the end the only common factor in how the kids believed winded up being was the parents. I don't deny that home-schooling is better than public school. I just deny that the schooling has a greater affect on the child's moral development than the parents themselves.
And I say that homeschooling allows parents to have a greater effect, while public schooling prevents it. Another :bang:...
P.S. I've met very few people who became saved once out of school and most of them went to Christian private schools. Most also had parents who believed punishment was the only way to get their kids to behave morally. I'd include them as among the parents who teach their kids poorly, even if they themselves were moral people.
Are you saying you think corporal punishment is wrong?

Zimfan

If that's true, then we should teach them "morally."

When due to lack of time or lack of understanding you can't teach your children certain important secular subjects it IS moral to send them to one who can.

Whether something is right or wrong is never irrelevant. I know we can't choose where our taxes go, though we should be able to, but nor do we enjoy the "benefit" of public schools. Don't forget that children are a gift from the Lord, and "render to God the things that are God's."

However, it is irrelavant to our current argument. We are not discussing whether people should pay taxes when part of said taxes may go to something they think is wrong.

Am I correct when I assume that you believe homeschoolers are "sheltered?"

In a relative way. Home-schooled children don't have to spend 5 days a week around people who think differently that they do and probably at least put some pressure on them for their beliefs. I've found that having to resist peer pressure causes one to think more carefully about what they believe and makes that belief more resilient. People who have been exposed to fewer different beliefs and have rarely had to defend their own may be as strong or stronger in their convictions but it is a brittle strength more prone to cracking. The people I know who have had the biggest moral falls are people who were private schooled and were always surrounded by people who believed as they did. When they made it to college and were exposed to very different view points they weren't even able to justify their beliefs to themselves, let alone others.

That won't take away the problem...

If the parents aren't qualified to help their kids with homework they are not qualified to home-school and shouldn't. If they lack the time, they most likely lack the time to homeschool as well.

As I just said, we don't have homework. Our parents help us with all of our schoolwork.

Then they do just what I have suggested.

Well, God gave the control of the children to the parents.

Different parents have differently ideas about the best way for their children to become educated. I'm happy to live in a country where parents have the option of sending their kids to moderately decent schools where they won't be nearly as indoctrinated as many other countries and to be able to do it for free.

And I say that homeschooling allows parents to have a greater effect, while public schooling prevents it. Another :bang:...

And I'm saying that despite the fact that public schools can have an influence in a child's moral development the parents still have a greater one.

Are you saying you think corporal punishment is wrong?

I'm saying that using negative reinforcement by itself is asking your children to become resentful and rebel against the things you forced them to say they believed. Most of the people I know who experienced a severe moral decline did so because they had parents like these. My best friend will not step foot inside a church because his father made him for 16 years. If that father had spent less time punishing my friend and more explaining why he wanted him to go to church that would have been far less likely to happen. Parents like that are as bad as teachers who try to hoist their religious beliefs (or, more often, their lack thereof) on their students by giving them bad grades or attempting to make them answer test questions in a way that contradicts the beliefs of the student.

ShadowMaid

What?, no cheerleader for me?, oh well. :D

Neither of you get a cheerleader!!! I'm a dancer, NOT a cheerleader!!!:madmad: :madmad: DANCER DANCER DANCER!!!:angel:

Zimfan

Neither of you get a cheerleader!!! I'm a dancer, NOT a cheerleader!!!:madmad: :madmad: DANCER DANCER DANCER!!!:angel:

Ahhh, so if you went to a public school you'd be one of those less popular girls that waves the little flags around and dances following the band around. ;)

ShadowMaid

Ahhh, so if you went to a public school you'd be one of those less popular girls that waves the little flags around and dances following the band around. ;)

I had to ask my Dad what you meant. He told me that I haven't experienced the joys of being pigeon-holed in public schools.

Zimfan

So you instead get to be pigeon-holed for not being being in a public school. I doubt anyone can ever escape being labelled.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
It looks like I was too slow in getting to this thread. The discussion has already gone from courting v. dating to a discussion on homeschool v. govt. school. So if you will excuse my rude interruption, in response to the title and first few posts...

I think "courting" as promoted by Josh Harris was a great marketing idea. Take the style of dating that goes on in a conservative, parent-controlled, Christian environment and give it a new name, and viola (sp?), you got yourself a best-seller! After hearing James Dobson, I think even he was dumbfounded by Harris's "novel" idea. And it didn't take long for Harris to win the heart of a girl, just in time for his next bestseller.

Okay, I just had to bash Harris, because I wish I had thought of the idea before he did. :chuckle: :greedy:

But anyways, regardless what you call it, it really amounts to how the game is played, the "protocol standards" if you will. People who call it "dating" can just as well be following (unaware) Harris's "courtship protocol." People who say they are "courting" can just as well be following the typical "dating protocol."

I think Harris's idea still needs quite a long time before the average person can see the difference. My parents and others around me thought "courting" had something to do with the basic "knight in shining armor" and "the lovely fair lady" archetypes. Which is somewhat accurate and basically where Harris got his idears from.

I've only had one girlfriend. For those of you with good eyes, I did say had. We are no longer "boyfriend and girlfriend," though we still talk and hang out sometimes. In fact, we are starting to hang out more and more, just as friends.

Where was I? Oh yes, I was going to talk about the "protocol" we used. We attempted to follow the Harris-courtship protocol. Why? Well, the youth pastor noticed that every youth pastor's nightmare was happening to him. (The boys were hangin out with the girls!) I don't remember how many couples formed out of the clear blue, but a noticable percentage of our small youth group had paired up. So the youth pastor set out to lay down the law and just like that, an endless slew of "courtship" lessons.

Where was I? Oh yes, so like I said we attempted to follow the courtship protocol. Most of the time we did okay. Other times, we didn't. We tried to stay in groups with friends, family, and even the combination of the two. Occasionally, we were alone together. That was the fun time of course, not because that's when it would be possible to jump all over each other like wild animals without anyone knowing (like some parents always assumes happens), but because that's when we could talk to each other honestly and just to each other. Such as telling each other secrets and embarrasing things about our families! (Especially about the crazy parents! :D ...who we will one day be like. :doh: )

But as I learned from experience and earlier posts, women aren't always honest. (And when you get to their core, they're nothing but gold-diggers! :chuckle: ) But in regards to honesty, it was probably my extreme honesty that caused the "breakup" (not the typical breakup, but the slow, painful, agonizing one).

I'm still in the learning process of how the world turns, so I won't even try to tell you either or. Always use good judgment, beware infatuation, listen to your parents (if they even care), yada, yada.

If you actually read all that, I'm sorry to put you through misery. Just quote and respond to whatever you feel like. Or just go back to the homeschool discussion...

Last edited:

Elaine

Sorry I am being so slow, Zimfan, but I had a busy day today. I hope I can get a reply back tomorrow. Lucky8, I'll try to read your post thoroughly soon, but even if I disagree with it, I'm a bit busy now to start another discussion...:D