Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
for christian fellowship

Apparently that's something she's not able to do since she has such a problem with the place so I just don't see why she feels the need to hang around here when she's made it very clear it affects her in such a negative way.

:idunno:

Generally people do what they can to avoid things they don't like.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The OP title is plain enough:
Conversation with Knight about losing faith

You took pains to link to his comments and the intent was clear.

You note:

Is it not your intent to use the example of Knight to draw conclusions that (1) either he is wrong-headed or (2) you suspect other views are possible? No matter how you couch the OP the conclusions you hope to draw involve at least Knight is wrong or Knight is correct.

How am I not addressing the OP?

As to the specific title of your OP, it is my firm conviction from the whole counsel of Scripture that one does not lose their faith, for if they did, they never possessed faith in the first place.

Now you can caution in the OP that the topic is not about your "Other" views, but you do not get the privilege of basically calling out persons who behave not according to your "Other" standards, and not expect to be questioned about your standards.

AMR

She is upset other 'kinds of morality'; the kind where one may feel in conflict with another.

She needs to know, how she may keep this morality, she is sure about with, and understand another morality where there is a natural conflict.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Apparently that's something she's not able to do since she has such a problem with the place so I just don't see why she feels the need to hang around here when she's made it very clear it affects her in such a negative way.

this has been a lively thread
with a lot of discussion
isn't that what tol is all about?

PureX

Sometimes it helps to take yourself back to a time, likely in childhood, when your faith was unquestioned. You loved your Savior and believed he loved you. Back to simple foundation beliefs.
:think:

I don't have to pretend I know what God is. Or what God "says", or what God "wants of me". Those are all forms of manipulation. Man's religion. All I need to know is that I can at any moment choose to trust in God whatever that means.

And that's enough.

Then, as a Christian, that trust means to trust in love. Trust in forgiveness. Trust in kindness, and in generosity.

And it works.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Sometimes it helps to take yourself back to a time, likely in childhood, when your faith was unquestioned. You loved your Savior and believed he loved you. Back to simple foundation beliefs.

You and I have memories of those halcyon days, yet I do not think this has been a natural progression beyond our children, something, somehow, moved in its place.

PureX

She is upset other 'kinds of morality'; the kind where one may feel in conflict with another.

She needs to know, how she may keep this morality, she is sure about with, and understand another morality where there is a natural conflict.
Anna needs to find her 'inner Maori'! :)

20111104-newzea-0669.jpg

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

My point has always been that there is but one place to look for the standards of morality, given by the Moral Law Giver, that is, Scripture.

Seeking standards out by examining the behavior of others, and going off judging them, is tilting at windmills and creating intellectual idols in the idol factories of our minds. We are all unprofitable servants.

AMR

Danoh

That is what people say when outside another's spirit (in their shoes in a situation).

For some though, rejection can end up a kind of a moth to a light bulb - ever compelled by some inner need to return to the external source of their inner pain to attempt once more to do or say the right thing that will perhaps at last get them what they are missing from within.

Theirs is the works based acceptance of religion even when religion does not appear to be the context.

Such are difficult to deal with. If you're mean, they come back for "one more try."

If you're nice, they then want more.

And this is no laughing matter. These people hurt a hurt we should not wish on anyone.

Anna, if that is you then your solution is a simple one.

Romans 5:8, then Galatians 3:1-3, followed by Romans 5:7, in this order.

The best to you in this.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Indeed.

Fellowship implies seeking out those that walk the same paths. Being a good judge of these persons takes time, prayer, and effort. The TOL ignore feature helps mightily for those that have "itching ears" and not steeped in their faith enough to just pass over their posts. Even then, I have well over a hundred on ignore, simply because I prefer not to clutter my mind's eye with heresy and trivialities.

Being a good steward means using the time God gives one wisely. It seems she is squandering that precious time on matters such as this, when more weighty matters need to be worked out by her.

AMR

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
this has been a lively thread
with a lot of discussion
isn't that what tol is all about?

What does this have to do with somebody sticking around a place they obvious don't like?

Zeke

It IS actually a good thing, when you give up on looking to others

Which would include doctrinal traditions based on questionable history, claiming they have the proper way to interpret scripture, which is a focus outwardly instead of inwardly like Jesus/Spirit taught is the first step to finding the kingdom Luke 17:20-21.

when you give up on looking within yourself. You will never find what you're seeking, and you will always be disappointed.

I will follow the advice of the Spirit instead, which is in the temple of God which is where? all the reading of scripture and you still haven't grasp the first level 2Cor 3:6. Keep looking outwardly and you will also be disappointed.

Zeke

My point has always been that there is but one place to look for the standards of morality, given by the Moral Law Giver, that is, Scripture.

Seeking standards out by examining the behavior of others, and going off judging them, is tilting at windmills and creating intellectual idols in the idol factories of our minds. We are all unprofitable servants.

AMR

Like stoning people for various activities that would be absurd to any rational mind? The dead letter has produced fruit sure enough 2Cor 3:6, while the Spirit waits in silence to speak to the heart no theology can grasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.