Contemplation

ChrissW

Any thoughts or input on contemplative prayer/centering prayer/lectio divine...especially in the Anglican tradition?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Truster

Contemplation is a train of thought. Meditation is the digesting of the thought. Meditation has a root in the Hebrew word for chewing the cud.

The relationship between both these words and prayer is that the meditative man will know the will of the Father and be able to pray according to His will and give thanks for the glory he is given the view of. Then the process continues...

Last edited:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Any thoughts or input on contemplative prayer/centering prayer/lectio divine...especially in the Anglican tradition?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I said
Most people don't understand praying. Praying is only valid when one is praying according to Gods will.
PRAYING FOR WHAT
Phil 4:5-6
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
Matt 6:7-8
7 "And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
Heb 13:5
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
1 Tim 6:5-8
5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
James 4:1-3
1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members?
2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
I Jn 5:14-15
14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

I Jn 3:22-24
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
(NKJ)