Conficker Worm Virus set for April 1st Mac users get even more smug.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It not about Microsoft... it's about harming the maximum amount of people... and most computer users have PC's

:think: Exactly, if you hit PC then you hit everyone from big business to kids messing around on the Internet.

:) PC is so much more prevalent that the chaos created by a single virus has a much larger payoff.

:plain: Let's face it.....if you hit Mac all you get is a few angry Hippies.

Last edited:

Truppenzwei

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
LIFETIME MEMBER
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

A Mac IS a chuffing PC.

PC = Personal Computer

Macs are just PCs approved to run a certain OS.

As to viruses and worms - the reason so many get written targetting PCs running Windows is that that is the biggest market share in terms of OS. Although the number of nasties targetting PCs running MacOS is rising - due largely to the massively complacent 'Can't happen here' mentality that most Mac users display.

Windows/Mac/Linux - they all have gaping holes and they all need regular patching.

The simple fact of the matter is that Microsoft is actually miles better at responding to security holes than Apple is these days. (due entirely to having waaaay more practice right enough)

But to reiterate;

a Mac IS A PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
T.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Conficker-Virus.jpg
Well here we go again.... a massive computer virus is set to go off on April 1st and yet again Mac users are left asking.... "why can't we be in on the fun?" An estimated 12 million PC's are already infected with the virus and it is unknown what exactly will happen when it goes off. Regardless of the "Conficker Worm" virus actual destruction of data it has already cost PC users millions of dollars in wasted time and precautionary PC support. Mac users are completely unaffected by this upcoming threat as they have been a thousand times in the past.

:mock: Windows.

I'm sorry, what was that again? Wasnt paying attention I was busy playing a computer game. (yeah, Knight, some computers can even play games! crazy huh?)

(j/k.... sir... please dont flush me! :) )

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
All Macs are great:

Mac computers
Big Macs
MaCarthur (Douglas)

PCs are lousy:

PCs (IBMs and clones)
Politically Correct
Phil Collins

So there!
:loser:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
All Macs are great:

Mac computers
Big Macs
MaCarthur (Douglas)

PCs are lousy:

PCs (IBMs and clones)
Politically Correct
Phil Collins

So there!
:loser:
Actually, I don't like Big Macs. I used to, but that middle bun is too much bread.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I may be proven wrong but it looks like this is a tasteless april fool's day joke. ET (conficker) is phoning home but no one is answering. They may wait until the heat dies down, but it appears to be a prank.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/135840
That's a very expensive prank for PC users.

However... most experts do not think it's a prank... for instance the following is taken from your source....

"I'll reiterate that, despite the fact that it hasn't yet gone haywire, I don't believe Conficker is a hoax. This is an extremely sophisticated piece of programming that is indeed looking for instructions from its creator on what to do next and is simply idling in the meantime. Just because those instructions haven't been given does not mean you're safe from attack."

Quincy

That's a very expensive prank for PC users.

However... most experts do not think it's a prank... for instance the following is taken from your source....

"I'll reiterate that, despite the fact that it hasn't yet gone haywire, I don't believe Conficker is a hoax. This is an extremely sophisticated piece of programming that is indeed looking for instructions from its creator on what to do next and is simply idling in the meantime. Just because those instructions haven't been given does not mean you're safe from attack."

Yeah, if in fact nothing comes of it I hope they can still find out who instigated it.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
What Malware do I have slowing me down?

Probably none. All people have to do is clean out their browsing histories, etc once in a awhile.

The people who have problems seem to be the ones who click everything they see and download all those worthless tool-bars, etc.