Cocaine Production drops 30% after DEA kicked out of Bolivia!

Nazaroo

Just can't make stuff like this up:

Cocaine Production Plummets After DEA Kicked Out of Bolivia

Published: August 27, 2015

Source: The Antimedia

Bolivia — After the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) was kicked out of Bolivia, the country was able to drastically reduce the amount of coca (cocaine) produced within its borders. According to data released by the United Nations, cocaine production in the country declined by 11% in the past year, marking the fourth year in a row of steady decrease.
It was just seven years ago that the DEA left Bolivia — and only three years after that, progress was finally made. The strategy employed by the Bolivian government may be a surprise to many prohibitionists because it did not involve any strong-arm police state tactics. Instead, they worked to find alternative crops for farmers to grow that would actually make them more money.
“Bolivia has adopted a policy based on dialogue, where coca cultivation is allowed in traditional areas alongside alternative development [in others],” Antonino de Leo, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s representative in Bolivia, told VICE News.

“It’s not only about making money off a crop. In the old fashioned alternative development approach, we substitute one illicit crop for a licit crop. It’s about a more comprehensive approach that includes access to essential services like schools, hospitals, and roads in areas that traditionally have been hard to reach,” Leo added.
There are unfortunately still harsh laws against drug trafficking in Bolivia, but these have been active since the height of the drug war and have had no effect on the recent decline in production. Bolivian president, Evo Morales — a former coca farmer himself — has been less heavy handed since the DEA left the country, a move that allowed the government to develop alternatives for the struggling farmers instead.

The drug war is one of the most misunderstood subjects in mainstream political discourse, even among people who are sympathetic to the plight of responsible drug users. It is rare for someone to come out and say that all drugs should be legal, but in all honesty, this is the only logically consistent stance on the issue. To say that some drugs should be legal while others should not is still giving credence to the punishment paradigm and overlooking the external consequences of drug prohibition — or prohibition of any object, for that matter.

As I explained in an earlier article, there are many external factors that are affected by the drug war that many people don’t take into account. That is because when you carry out acts of violence, even in the form of punishment, you then create a ripple effect that extends far beyond the bounds of the original circumstance to affect many innocent people down the line.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The dirty little secret of the Drug War has always been to make drugs both illegal and plentiful. That way, the "powers that be" can rake in the money by playing both sides.

shagster01

I'll have to read more about this, as I normally don't take what Naz says at face value. But it won't surprise me to find out this is totally true.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And now...

for the rest of the story:

Bolivia Becomes Better Cocaine Producer, US Says

July 16, 2012

The U.S. government confirmed that Bolivia has fewer coca plantations but it is producing more cocaine because drug traffickers are using a more "efficient" process known as the "Colombian method," according to an interview published Sunday in the daily Pagina Siete.
http://latino.foxnews.com/2012/07/16/bolivia-has-improved-cocaine-production-us-says/

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The article in the OP is dated August 27, 2015. It is current. Yours is dated 7/16/12. It is not current.

So, in that 3 year period drug cartels that produce cocaine via the "Columbian Method" decided that they'd made enough money and shut down their operations?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
So, in that 3 year period drug cartels that produce cocaine via the "Columbian Method" decided that they'd made enough money and shut down their operations?

According to Habeas Coca, coca production in Bolivia has dropped by around 24 percent since 2008 when forced eradication ended and was replaced by a model focused on community control. Since the implementation of this new policy, violent confrontations between police and farmers have almost disappeared.​

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/bolivias-smarter-approach-controlling-coca-production

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
"Bolivia Cuts Coca Production for Fourth Consecutive Year, U.N. Says" -- http://www.wsj.com/articles/bolivia...r-fourth-consecutive-year-u-n-says-1439835780

You didn't answer my question: Here it is again:

On a related note these words in the OP caught my attention:

"There are unfortunately still harsh laws against drug trafficking in Bolivia..."

"The drug war is one of the most misunderstood subjects in mainstream political discourse, even among people who are sympathetic to the plight of responsible drug users. It is rare for someone to come out and say that all drugs should be legal, but in all honesty, this is the only logically consistent stance on the issue."

Gee, I wonder if the OP is a tad bit biased when it comes the subject of the legalization of recreational drugs and for that reason, is downplaying the severity of it by saying that cocaine production is down?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
You didn't answer my question: Here it is again:

I see your point:

Soon after the UN announced its survey, critics noted that the report focused on the coca leaf but omitted data on how much of the crop is being converted to cocaine. And without that data, the heralded fall in coca may be an optical illusion.​

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-24/bolivia-s-hollow-victory-in-the-war-on-drugs

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Thank you for your open mindedness and honesty in this matter.

You're quite welcome. I do believe in the dialectical method as a means of establishing the truth of an issue, and in doing so, one must be willing to concede legitimate points to others during the course of debate.