climate change

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
From Nick's source:
Skeptics were also more likely to correctly say that if the North Pole icecap melted, global sea levels would not rise.

If there really was a North Pole icecap, they would.

An ice cap is an ice mass that covers less than 50,000 km² of land area (usually covering a highland area). Masses of ice covering more than 50,000 km² are termed an ice sheet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cap

Arctic Sea ice is too big to be an ice cap and doesn't lie over land. Something's wrong here...

(Barbarian checks)

Ah... here's Kahan's actual opinion on the subject:

scirgw.png

The more one knows about the subject, the more likely one is to accept the evidence for warming. Unless one is religious, in which case the opposite applies.

Doesn't fit Nick's claim at all. Here's what Kahan wrote:

Actually, on what others' intuitions might be, I feel fairly confident that people who believe in climate change are likely to believe both that science comprehension correlates positively with climate change risk perceptions and that religiosity correlates negatively.

They are wrong to believe the first point (just as people who are skpetical of climate change are wrong to believe that science literacy negatively correlates with perceived climate change risks).

But if they were right, they'd be making a good guess to think that religiosity is negatively correlated with climate change risk perceptions, because in fact (as is pretty well known) there is modest negative correlation between religiosity and various measures of science literacy & critical reasoning.

scicomprelgi.png

And:
In this dataset, I found that there is a small correlation (r = -0.05, p = 0.03) between the science comprehension measure and a left-right political outlook measure, Conservrepub, which aggregates liberal-conservative ideology and party self-identification. The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.
trypng.png

So his data show that conservatives and highly religious people are somewhat less scientifically-informed than liberals or those who are not religious, but not by all that much. But exactly the opposite of what Nick was trying to show with his faked story.

fzappa13

Arctic Sea Ice decline:
2014sea_ice500.jpg

Note repeated losses, followed by "recoveries." But each "recovery" is less than the last, and so over the years, a dramatic loss in sea ice.

Here's nice graph on the way arctic land snow cover is declining:

arctic-summer-snow-cover-extent-1968-2008_aaad.jpg

Pretty much says it all. And deniers are still baffled how such declines in ice and snow can happen with record blizzards.

But a brief look at the data says it all.

Did you watch "Team America" spoof Alec Baldwin? Priceless.

Dennyg1

BANNED
Banned
Methane is the main cause of any man-made global warming. There are several new studies showing that CO2 from oil and gas companies is not anything close to the atmospheric threat that methane, which is almost exclusively from livestock, is.
Not to mention that the EPA's climate data has been shown to be inflated.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Not sure I'd be taking EPA as a source of climate data. Not their line of work. NOAA or NASA would be a much more reliable source.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The temperature this morning here in Pittsburgh is -10 degrees.

That shatters the previous record low temperature of -2 degrees from 1914.

Barbarian will now tell me how it's warmer than it has ever been :bang:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
climate change
finally a phrase we can all agree with
I do expect global warming in just a couple more months

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
climate change
finally a phrase we can all agree with

I don't deny that the climate changes. The earth has gone through warming and cooling periods for thousands of years.

I deny that man has anything to do with making the climate change.

The man made climate change hoax is for political reasons. The only people who perpetuate the hoax are Progressive Liberals.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It usually starts getting warmer after Selection Sunday.

Probably because millions of people are printing and copying their brackets. The heat from the printers and copy machines becomes trapped in the greenhouse gases.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It usually starts getting warmer after Selection Sunday.

Probably because millions of people are printing and copying their brackets. The heat from the printers and copy machines becomes trapped in the greenhouse gases.

do you play espn tournament challenge?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
do you play espn tournament challenge?

No, I'm too worried about my "Carbon Footprint".

I live in a 10X10 hut with no gas, no electric, no water, and no sewage.

I ride a bicycle, I'm a vegan, and I keep my pulse under 60 at all times so I don't exhale too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

PS. Peddling my bicycle up hills and keeping my pulse under 60 has been a real challenge lately.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well, let's take a look... January 2015 was the hottest January on record, 4 ticks higher then the next hottest, 2002 and 2003.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

But there are always record highs and record lows every year. Here's how it sorted out globally:
201401-201412.gif

There was one area that averaged record lows for the year. See that little square down near Antarctica? That's it. The dark red is record highs. Lots of that, um?

As far as Massachusetts is concerned, politicians can spin weather and climate and conflate the two, but this is harder to fake:
http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Notice that since 1990 Massachusetts went from hardiness zone 5 to hardiness zone 6.

Must be all those liberal petunias, I suppose.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"For me the protection of Planet Earth, the survival of all species and sustainability of our ecosystems is more than a mission. It is my religion and my dharma." - IPCC Chair Rajendra Pachauri

As we see above, Pachauri considers climate change his religion.

We are told by people such as Pachauri to take science seriously because it is allegedly based on facts.

How are we supposed to take seriously another man's religion that contradicts our Bible?

I give Pachauri a lot of credit, climate change is indeed a religion.

BTW, Pachauri's quote is from his resignation statement. Pachauri resigned as Chair of the IPCC because he is being charged in a sexual harassment case.

Selaphiel

at how many babies are being aborted

are you tracking that?

Is a concern for the environment mutually exclusive with a concern for abortion?

tetelestai said:
"For me the protection of Planet Earth, the survival of all species and sustainability of our ecosystems is more than a mission. It is my religion and my dharma." - IPCC Chair Rajendra Pachauri

As we see above, Pachauri considers climate change his religion.

It doesn't take a genius to see that he is not talking about the scientific claim of climate change here, he is talking about the resulting ethical response. The ethical response, the protection of the earth is his "religion and my dharma".

How are we supposed to take seriously another man's religion that contradicts our Bible?

Is the ethical response to protect the planet, and by extension human lives and livelihoods, contrary to the Bible? If it is, so much worse for the Bible.

I give Pachauri a lot of credit, climate change is indeed a religion.

I will not give you a lot of credit if you are unable to understand the difference between the scientific theory and one particular ethical response to that science. Might be expecting too much of you, considering your history of not even understanding the difference between scientific journals and popular magazines and newspapers.

BTW, Pachauri's quote is from his resignation statement. Pachauri resigned as Chair of the IPCC because he is being charged in a sexual harassment case.

What does that have to do with climate change? This is a textbook example of an implied ad hominem fallacy. Hitler believed in heliocentrism, ergo heliocentrism is not to be trusted?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
at how many babies are being aborted

are you tracking that?

Yep:
graphusabrate.gif

And without government getting involved. Changing hearts and minds is not a government function. Check with your local diocese. There are things you can do, right now, if you want.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Well, let's take a look... January 2015 was the hottest January on record, 4 ticks higher then the next hottest, 2002 and 2003.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

But there are always record highs and record lows every year. Here's how it sorted out globally:
201401-201412.gif

There was one area that averaged record lows for the year. See that little square down near Antarctica? That's it. The dark red is record highs. Lots of that, um?

As far as Massachusetts is concerned, politicians can spin weather and climate and conflate the two, but this is harder to fake:
http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Notice that since 1990 Massachusetts went from hardiness zone 5 to hardiness zone 6.

Must be all those liberal petunias, I suppose.

lotta grey on that map

:think:

i don't see grey in the legend