climate change

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So you think there is a bias in climatology based on current sources of funding?

Yes.

Climatologists are employed by the government, and/or universities.

If a climatologist disagrees with man made global warming, the climatologist will be unemployed, and/or the grant money will cease.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
That wasn't my point.

My point was that the 97% is a myth.

Everything about man made global warming is based on lies and/or myths.
Most of the world's scientists and scientific organizations are of the opinion that like land and water, the earth's atmosphere is a finite resource.

Given that much of the earth's land and water supply currently suffers from man-made pollution, is it "tetelestai's" position have that the atmosphere can withstand being treated like an "open-sewer" indefinitely without exhibiting adverse effects?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Are you sure about that?

Do you know of any climatologists who work in the private sector?
From what I know

There are petroleum engineers and physicists who study trends in climate.

I think there are climatologists who are easy cheesy environmentalists and there are climatologists who are real hard core science experts, same as physicists, but all physicists are real physicists.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
To have a PhD in climatology, one would have to have graduate work in physics, geophysics, chemistry, and geochemistry.

The mathematical and statistical requirements would not be less than that of physics.

zippy2006

Yes.

Climatologists are employed by the government, and/or universities.

If a climatologist disagrees with man made global warming, the climatologist will be unemployed, and/or the grant money will cease.

If that is true then we shouldn't understand them to be the authoritative source for the truth of the matter of global warming.

...but there is an important difference between such climatologists and theologians. The climatologists are an insufficient source because they are not doing their job. The theologians are an insufficient source because they are doing their job. You should never query only theologians if you want insight into the question of God's existence, but in general it is legitimate to query only climatologists if you want insight into questions of climate (that is, supposing they are doing their job and are in fact correctly called "climatologists").

rexlunae

Muslim theologians believe there is a God.

And if that were the only question that theologians addressed, that might be a reasonable response. But if you start to talk about questions like the divinity of Christ, or the status of Mohammed, I think you would probably not listen to them.

Do you know of any theologians who are atheists?

Do you know any astrologers who are cosmologists?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most of the world's scientists and scientific orgabizations are pf the opinion that like land and water, the earth's atmosphere is a finite resource.

I don't really care about the opinion of people who are mostly of atheists.

Most of these people and organizations that you speak of deny that God created the earth.

Just as much of the earth's land and water supply currently suffers fom man-made pollution, do we have any reason to believe that the atmosphere can withstand being treated like an "open-sewer" indefinitely?

(Ecclesiastes 1:4) A generation goes and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever.

I don't listen to Chicken Littles, my authority is the Word of God.

rexlunae

Yet you think climatologists control what is true.

No, I don't. But I'm not going to credit you with having an informed disagreement with them when your posts reflect a persistent and forceful ignorance of what climate science has suggested and what the evidence suggests. You have an ignorant dispute with science.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
To have a PhD in climatology, one would have to have graduate work in physics, geophysics, chemistry, and geochemistry.

The mathematical and statistical requirements would not be less than that of physics.

I have a Ph.D. Not saying it is much good anymore, and is certainly old and dusty, but I can look at it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And if that were the only question that theologians addressed, that might be a reasonable response.

But, it's true. They believe there is a God.

So, if all these people with Phd's agree God exists (whether Christian or Muslim) , how can you deny it?

rexlunae

But, it's true. They believe there is a God.

Look, if you want a discussion on theology, start a thread. I'm game. I've read a lot of these arguments, and I'm more than happy to address them, as I have with several other people here in the past.

So, if all these people with Phd's agree God exists (whether Christian or Muslim) , how can you deny it?

By examining their arguments, and concluding that they are in error.

If you could do that with climate change, whatever your conclusion were, I would at least respect you for that. But you can't. You can't even bring yourself to look at the evidence honestly.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
An expert worth listening to: http://drtimball.com/

Tim Ball got himself in a bit of legal trouble, presenting himself as a professor of climatology. In fact, he has a degree in geography, as documented here:
http://www.desmogblog.com/sites/beta.desmogblog.com/files/Johnson statement of defence.pdf

Therein, it also documents that he falsely presented himself as "Emeritus Professor" and "professor of climatology" at a Canadian university. Bell withdrew the lawsuit

Not many denier groups use Ball any more, for the reasons above.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I have a Ph.D. Not saying it is much good anymore, and is certainly old and dusty, but I can look at it.

And for that, you have my sincere respect. However, I would not give a geographer much credibility in the area of climatology.

And an engineer or physicist even less, unless they happened to have the necessary training and experience to know what they were talking about.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You have an ignorant dispute with science.

No, mine is more an epistemological dispute.

I saw the Great Lakes frozen with my own eyes last year, and know this is the first time it's happened in a long time.

This summer I went to the Chesapeake Bay and I couldn't catch as many Blue Crabs as I would have liked because 33% of them didn't make it through the winter because last winter was the coldest the Chesapeake Bay was since they have kept track.

I saw a lot of my plants die at my home on the Outer Banks, North Carolina because there were record low temperatures last winter.

This past summer in Pittsburgh, PA was the first time in over 125 years that the temperature never reached 90 degrees at any time during the summer.

This fall I raked leaves in September because the leaves started falling earlier than ever in my life due to how cold it was.

Yet, Progressive Liberals keep telling me about global warming.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This fall I raked leaves in September because the leaves started falling earlier than ever in my life due to how cold it was.

Defense by anecdote. Yes, we're at the end game.

Last year, the hardiness zones moved north, again. Tropical plants are surviving farther and farther north, and flowers are blooming earlier and earlier.

Here's an animation of the way plants have responded to climate change from 1990 to 2006. Remarkable change for such a short period of time.
http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Last edited:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
I don't really care about the opinion of people who are mostly of atheists.

Most of these people and organizations that you speak of deny that God created the earth.

(Ecclesiastes 1:4) A generation goes and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever.

I don't listen to Chicken Littles, my authority is the Word of God.
Can "tetelestai" produce documented proof to support his assertion that most scientists are "atheists?"

Can he provide the policy statement from one recognized scientific organization that denies the existence of God?

Scientific organizations are not in the business of determining the existence of God - they are in the business of promoting scientific inquiry.

Unless "tetelestai" is currently living a stone age existence in a cave, then he is already enjoying the scientific advances and receiving his information about life from sources he would characterize as "atheist."

Even Biblical translations, including the King James Version, were written with a political agenda!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By examining their arguments, and concluding that they are in error.

Ok, if so, then why does your side constantly go on and on about 97%?

If you could do that with climate change, whatever your conclusion were, I would at least respect you for that. But you can't. You can't even bring yourself to look at the evidence honestly.

I have.

I have posted charts and graphs showing how NOAA/NASA dramatically altered historical data.

Here it is again.

The animation below shows how NASA (after the year 2000) cooled 1934 and warmed 1998, to make 1998 the hottest year in US history instead of 1934.

1998changesannotated.gif