Christ's Commandments

WeberHome

Re: Christ's Commandments

1Pet 2:11 . . Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul.

The words "fleshly lusts" are derived from 1) sarkikos (sar-kee-kos') which pertains to the base nature, i.e. the core of one's and, 2) from epithumia (ep-ee-thoo-mee'-ah) which means: a longing.

What Peter is talking about there is giving in to whatever comes natural: viz: doing what's instinctive and reactive as opposed to one's better judgment.

Webster's defines instinct as: 1) a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity, 2) a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason, and 3) behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level.

Fleshly lusts are not what you might call "reasonable behavior" because they are basically gut passions and impulses that require no thinking. When people fly off the handle, sleep with somebody on the first date, utter an epithet, make a smart-aleck remark, and/or act on impulse and such; they are only doing what comes natural to the beast residing within themselves. People are, in the final analysis, little more than human wildlife; just naked apes ruled by the nature of an ape.
_

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus’ commandments are simple and to the point...
...Not ambiguous at all.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”

There should be no confusion.

WeberHome

1Pet 2:12 . . Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as malefactors, they may on account of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

The Greek word for "malefactors" is somewhat ambiguous. It can refer to a criminal or to someone regarded as an all-around bad person or bad influence; viz: toxic i.e. harmful: a threat.

Curiously, some of the principles and core values held dear by Christians are sometimes regarded by non Christians as detrimental to the so-called greater good; especially in communistic societies.

The koiné Greek word for "visitation" is: episkope (ep-is-kop-ay') which is an ambiguous word that means, among other things, inspection and/or evaluation.

Webster’s defines "inspection" as a checking or testing of an individual against established standards; for example: the avoirdupois ounce is a standard, the meter is a standard, and the inch is a standard.

In the old days, merchants used a balance to count out monies like gold and silver. They would put a "standard" weight in one of the balance's pans and then begin placing gold and/or silver in the other pan until the pans balanced; viz: until the pans were at the same elevation on either side of the scales' fulcrum point. Justice is often depicted as a blindfolded woman holding a balance in one hand, and a sword in the other. The law is in one pan, and the defendant's conduct is in the other; for example:

"You have been weighed on the balances; and came up short." (Dan 5:27)

If it turns out that the criticism that the lost hurled at believers was unjustified, then they will have to pay. In so doing, how will they glorify God? Well, the slanderers themselves may not pay their respects to God, but their retribution will certainly honor His standards, viz: glorify them.
_

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

On which commandments hang all the epistles and the apostles?
_

It’s a mix. Nearly half of Paul’s epistles have been found to be forgeries.
Jesus was not talking about Paul.

Paul wrote and preached in the 50s--a half century after Jesus was born. He decreed that all goods were to be held in common--a main tenet of Marxism.

Once Jesus died, the early Jesus movement splintered and changed.
Multiple theologies and traditions were introduced and nearly all of them became subsumed into the new faith.

WeberHome

1Pet 2:13-15 . . Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for The Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Every ordinance of man pertains to all manner of citizenship, including civil disobedience; which is defined as the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power, e.g. protests, tax revolts, draft card burning, anti-war movements, occupancy, demonstrations, blockades, etc. Civil disobedience typically has to do with rebellion against State, Local, and Federal policies.

Every ordinance of man of course includes traffic laws like J-walking, unsafe lane changes, drifting through stop signs, tailgating, road rage, exceeding speed limits, feeding parking meters, crossing streets against the light, blocking driveways, failure to yield the right of way, illegal U-turns; etc.

People who disregard the ordinances of man are described by the apostle Peter as ignorant and foolish. God forbid that Christ's followers fall into that category!
_

WeberHome

1Pet 2:16a . . Live as free men

Some of Christ's believing followers in the Roman empire were slaves; so it was legally impossible for them to live as free men without risking severe consequences. I think what we're looking at here is that Peter is encouraging the Christians to whom he wrote to voluntarily accept their status as slaves instead of resenting it. In other words: free men have choices; and even though some of the Christians were slaves against their will, they were free to choose to make the best of it or let it get to them.

A pretty cool platitude that I once heard goes like this: "Bloom where you're planted". So; if you should find yourself planted in adverse circumstances; make up your mind to make the best of it. This is something wherein you have a choice; even though you have no choice about being stuck. It's really all about attitude adjustment.

1Pet 2:16b . . Do not use your freedom as a cloak for evil; live as servants of God.

That passage is likely a reiteration of the one below:

"You were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh" (Gal 5:13)

No sin that a believer commits will ever again put them in danger of the wrath of God.

"I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life." (John 5:24)

However, believers should never regard John 5:24 as a license to steal, so to speak. It's freedom to steal, but certainly not license because theft is just as wrong for God's servants as it is for His opponents (Rom 6:1-15). Just because believers won't suffer the sum of all fears for theft is not an eo ipso exemption for them to have a go at it.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Pet 2:17a . . Honor all men.

The Greek word translated "honor" is timao (tim-ah'-o) which basically means to prize, i.e. fix a valuation upon and/or to revere

The first place that timao shows up in the New Testament is Matt 15:4 which reads:

"God said: Honor your father and mother."

Right after the Flood, God outlawed murder; and the reason given for the ban was not because murder is necessarily wrong, but because people are made in the likeness of God. (Gen 9:5-6)

James criticizes the use of language that expresses a wish that someone be sent to hell. The reason given is not because that sort of language is necessarily wrong, but because people were made in the likeness of God. (Jas 3:8-9)

In other words; murder and cursing dishonors the likeness of God, and by extension dishonors God too.

From that I gather that failure to treat everyone with dignity-- regardless of age, race, or gender --not only dishonors men but by extension also dishonors God in whose likeness everyone was made.

FAQ: Does that mean even serial killers, mass murderers, and monsters like Osama Bin Laden, Robert Mugabe, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Saddam Hussein, and crooks like Al Capone and Bernie Madoff have to be treated humanely and with dignity the same as everyone else?

A: Yes, absolutely because the honor that Peter is talking about doesn't have to be earned, merited or otherwise deserved.

Take for example Lev 19:32 which reads like this:

"Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am The Lord"

The honor required for senior citizens doesn't have to be earned, merited or otherwise deserved. The only requirement is age; and failure to dignify senior citizens is all the same as failure to dignify God.

NOTE: You can tell a lot about people by the way they treat senior citizens. Now that I myself am old and gray-haired, I'm sensitive to things like that.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Pet 2:17b . . love the brotherhood

The Greek word translated "brotherhood" is adelphotes (ad-el-fot'-ace) which appears in only two places in the entire New Testament; both are in the apostle Peter's epistles: one here and the other in 1Pet 5:9.

It's a curious word because it essentially refers to a fraternity; defined by Webster's as a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest, or pleasure; i.e. persons of the same class, profession, character, or tastes: for example leagues, guilds, societies, and trade unions.

"We're all in this together" pretty much sums up adelphotes; for example 1Pet 5:8-9 which reads:

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

But now; exactly who is in this frat about which Peter speaks? Well, the apostle identifies them by his greeting in 1Pet 1:1-2 which reads:

"To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood"

Just to be on the safe side, assume that Peter's greeting applies to anyone and everyone calling themselves a Christian regardless of their denominational affiliation. This can be done very easily just by following his instructions to honor all men. (see post No. 488)

One thing to our advantage is that the Greek word for "love" in 1Pet 2:17 is impersonal, viz: it doesn't require affection, it only requires that we be humane, e.g. civil, courteous, friendly, peaceable, hospitable, sympathetic, tolerant, lenient, forgiving, charitable, and generous. In other words; we don't actually have to like our fellow Christians, we only have to allow them the dignity that the image and likeness of God deserves.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Pet 2:17c . . fear God, honor the king.

Webster's defines kings as 1) monarchs, 2) paramount chiefs and/or 3) one that holds a preeminent position; e.g. monarchs, sovereigns, presidents, prime ministers, czars, chairmen, etc.

There is currently throughout America a wave of hate, hysteria, and disrespect for the U.S. President the intensity of which is unlike anything I've ever seen in my 75 years on this planet. I should hope that none of Christ's followers get caught up in it.

Christians don't have to particularly like Mr. Trump as a person, but we do have to render him the dignity and the respect that a president's position has been given by God. Failure to do so not only fails to comply with the apostle Peter's instructions, but also fails to fear God.

Prov 24:21 . . My son, fear The Lord and the king; have nothing to do with those who hate them.
_

Last edited:
Jesus’ commandments are simple and to the point...
...Not ambiguous at all.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”

There should be no confusion.

matthew 22:37-40 (KJV)

Blade

WeberHome

1Pet 3:1-2 . . In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.

Peter began his command with the words “in the same way” which refers to the preceding verses which read like this:

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

. . . He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth. When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." 1Pet 2:18-25)

In other words; Christ is the role model for anyone who would be truly submissive; either man or woman or married or unmarried.

Christian wives really should make an effort to exemplify Christ even with a husband they despise rather than only a husband that deserves their respect.

I once overheard a conversation between a female caller and Dr. Laura on radio that went something like this:

Caller: My husband doesn't deserve my respect; he hasn't earned it.

Laura: Have you earned your husband's love?

Caller: I shouldn't have to earn his love. It's a husband's place to love his wife unconditionally.

Laura: Aren't you being a bit unfair? You expect your husband to love you unconditionally, while refusing to respect him unconditionally? Isn't that a double standard? No wonder you two drifted apart!

(chuckle) Apparently Dr. Laura's caller was somehow under the impression that wives not only have the right to lay down the law in marriage, but also the right to exempt themselves from any and all laws their husbands might have in mind; viz: some people's marriages aren't love nests; they're cold wars tempered with détente.
_

BobRyan

-
John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

/

1. Jesus quotes a lot more than that in Matthew 19 when Jesus said

But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments
.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said,
“‘You shall not murder,’ Ex 20
‘You shall not commit adultery,’ Ex 20
‘You shall not steal,’ Ex 20
‘You shall not bear false witness,’ Ex 20
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ Ex 20
and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” Lev 19:18

Now I know some will add "He did not list - Do not take God's name in vain" -- and of course you would be right. But in Matthew 19 He is only dealing with the "Love your Neighbor as yourself" related list --- the same as Paul in Rom 13.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
-
John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

/

Christ's commands are no more relevant to Christians than are the commands of Moses and for the exact same reason. The covenant or contract that you refer to is not currently in effect, it's being held in abeyance (Col. 2:14) until the fullness of the gentiles has come in (Romans 11:25), at which point God will return to Israel and complete the process of fulfilling the Law (i.e. Israel's covenant) (Romans 11:26-32). Until then, any Jew (the religion not the ethnic group) is treated as any other unbeliever and is in no more or less jeopardy over lying than is a Pagan or a Buddhist or an Atheist or anyone else (Romans 11:32) who has not had Christ's righteousness imputed to them by faith (Romans 4:5).

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
1Pet 2:17c . . fear God, honor the king.

The word "king" is translated from a Greek word meaning sovereign. Although current US President Donald Trump isn't a monarch, he still represents the highest seat of constituted authority in America and I really think that Christians should make an effort to honor him just as Peter commands.

There's an awful lot of disrespect for Mr. Trump festering in America; and I really think Christ expects his followers to keep themselves from getting caught up in it. Well; one thing's for sure: if they aren't honoring Mr. Trump, then it's a forgone conclusion that they aren't honoring God. In point of fact, according to Jude 1:8-10, people going about talking down on Mr. Trump and running him into the ground, aren't even civilized; i.e. they're behaving like animals.

Some things in life are inseparable; like it’s just about impossible to go swimming in a pool that has no water in it. Well, fearing God and honoring a king are like that; in other words: Christian scofflaws, by their civil disobedience, actually dishonor the very God whom they profess to revere.

"Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves." (Rom 13:1-2)

Christians need to be cognizant of Rom 13:1-2 whenever they're tempted to drift through a STOP sign, feed parking meters, Jay-walk, lie to their state's Employment Department, obtain food stamps under false pretenses, or cheat on their taxes.
_

Wow! You are trully up to your eyeballs in legalism.

If you think "drifting through a STOP sign" is a sin, you're so far off course that it can hardly be described in words. You need to start completely over from scratch.

LisaAkita

It's always important in understanding scripture to ask yourself first - who is being spoken to - and then what is the direction being given to them.
For example - you don't see people building an ark today and preaching that God's judgement is coming in tho form of a flood (Most understand that was to one man for a specific time and purpose).
Scripture seemed like a big, wrinkled, twisted mess to me, full of seeming contradictions, which really bothered me, but I trusted that God's Promise of HIS ability to protect His Word to us was true - and that if I kept searching - with a willing heart to understand, He would make it clear.
Then I came across Matthew 10:5-7, after Jesus had called the 12 - He Commanded them - to "Go Not" to the Gentiles, nor the Samaritans - but Only to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel preaching the Kingdom Of Heaven. This was a commandment that was never rescinded. Then in Acts 9:11-15 The Lord is sending Ananias to visit Saul, and tells him the Paul is the Chosen vessel to bear His name to the Gentiles. Not only these specific, different instructions - but the fact that in Matthew all 12 of Jesus's Apostles were called inside of the boarders of Israel - where Saul/Paul was called outside of Israel in Syria, on the road leading to Damascus! Big differences!
In seeing the Commandment given to the 12 regarding WHO they were to be preaching to - I realized that what they wrote and taught - was not to gentiles. When we read in Luke 1:67-79 that when John the Baptist was born and his father talks of the one that John the Baptist will introduce - it is the One that will Save Israel according to the covenants.
That prescription for Salvation expired once Jesus Christ had made the offer of the Kingdom to Israel and they rejected Him (Crucified) and then rejected Him again in the stoning of Stephen "We will NOT have this man to rule over us" and as Paul states, Israel has been "blinded for a time".

WeberHome

1Pet 3:3-5 . . And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses --but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Some of the more ascetic Christians have attempted to use that passage to insist it's wrong for women to wear cosmetics. An interpretation of that nature would mean putting on dresses is wrong too and thereby Christian women would be in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure whenever they went out. No, he's only reflecting an old Portuguese proverb that goes something like this: A beleza não ajusta a tabela. (Beauty doesn't set the table) which simply means a pretty girl might be amazing in a nighty but quite ineffective as a homemaker.

Hollywood movies often portray "spirited" women as somehow desirable. No, they aren't desirable-- not to Christ anyway --they're feral, they attack men and make them miserable. Hollywood also commonly portrays women slapping men in the face and getting away with it. That is NOT what Peter means by a "gentle and quiet spirit" and besides, slapping is the criminal act of assault and battery-- not what I would call setting a good example for growing girls.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

"Blessed are the peaceable: for they shall be known as God's kin." (Matt 5:9)

An assertive, confrontational woman is neither peaceable nor poor in spirit; no, in point of fact she's quite militant, obnoxious, chafing, critical, temperamental, impudent, and arrogant. Those might be desirable characteristics for strong females in television and movie roles but clearly not desirable in a Christian wife.

When a Christian wife gets all dressed up to her nines, but yet lacks a "gentle and quiet spirit" then her ensemble is incomplete. In point of fact, an assertive, confrontational wife is, in reality, nothing less than a barnyard animal.

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion." (Prov 11:22)

So then, by all means Christian women should continue to shop at SEPHORA, but at the same time make an effort to be agreeable too.
_

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
1Pet 3:3-5 . . And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses --but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Some of the more ascetic Christians have attempted to use that passage to insist it's wrong for women to wear cosmetics. An interpretation of that nature would mean putting on dresses is wrong too and thereby Christian women would be in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure whenever they went out. No, he's only reflecting an old Portuguese proverb that goes something like this: A beleza não ajusta a tabela. (Beauty doesn't set the table) which simply means a pretty girl might be amazing in the bedroom but quite useless as a homemaker.

Hollywood movies often portray "spirited" women as somehow desirable. No, they aren't desirable-- not to Christ anyway --they're feral, they attack men and make them miserable. Hollywood also commonly portrays women slapping men in the face and getting away with it. That is NOT what Peter means by a "gentle and quiet spirit" and besides, slapping is the criminal act of assault and battery-- not what I would call setting a good example for growing girls.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

"Blessed are the peaceable: for they shall be known as God's kin." (Matt 5:9)

An assertive, confrontational woman is neither peaceable nor poor in spirit; no, in point of fact she's quite militant, obnoxious, chafing, critical, temperamental, impudent, and arrogant. Those might be desirable characteristics for strong females in television and movie roles but clearly not desirable in a Christian wife.

When a Christian wife gets all dressed up to her nines, but yet lacks a "gentle and quiet spirit" then her ensemble is incomplete. In point of fact, an assertive, confrontational wife is, in reality, nothing less than a barnyard animal.

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion." (Prov 11:22)

So then, by all means Christian women should continue to shop at Sephora, but at the same time make an effort to be agreeable too.

"That is the way the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and were subordinate to their husbands. For instance: Sarah submitted to her husband, Abraham, when she called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do." (1Pet 3:5-6)

Sarah, as you might recall, was a stunning girl not only in her youth, but even later on after menopause. But from what I gather from their association, Sarah's physical attributes are not why Abraham chose to live with her, and in point of fact, I really don't think Abraham paid all that much attention to Sarah's looks at all. No, Sarah was special in other ways; and even when she couldn't bear Abraham a child, he stuck with her; though in that day, he didn't have to.

What is it that a Christian wife might fear from her husband? Well, that's pretty easy. No doubt her biggest concern is that he might take advantage of her affable personality. Well, that's insufficient grounds to stop a Christian woman from being the kind of woman that Christ can approve. If it's any comfort; we're all in the same boat. People are naturally predatory, and can't help but take advantage of Christianity's good nature. What can I say: it comes with the turf.

"For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him." (Phil 1:29)
_

No one here is interested in your preaching.

This is a debate forum. It's a place where people come to support and defend what they believe about God, the bible and other related things, not to give monologues that no one solicited nor cares to read.
If you have no intention of engaging in a dialog just let me know and I'll go ahead and put you on ignore now and save myself the time of ever having to read another syllable of your almost entirely false doctrine.

eleos

Christ's commands are those written with his own finger at Mount Sinai.

His commands were placed in an ark and form a covenant with his people.

Correct ... God never breaks His covenants ... people do.

and that covenant is still in effect

Revelation 11

Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple

Hebrews 8:2

a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man.

WeberHome

Christ's commands are those written with his own finger at Mount Sinai.

Sinai's commandments are for the religion of Judaism. When it comes to the religion of Christianity, the Lord's commandments are those written by the fingers of his apostles.

1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
_