Christians made me read John. Why?

Rugumov

A few months ago I hit rock bottom. There were two Christian men who made me read John.

These men didn't know one another, but somehow knew what I was supposed to read.

So what's with the chapters of John in the Bible? What does it mean?

KingdomRose

A few months ago I hit rock bottom. There were two Christian men who made me read John.

These men didn't know one another, but somehow knew what I was supposed to read.

The Gospel of John shows quite clearly who Jesus is and how he is important in our lives. There are many, many verses that show Jesus' subservience to his Father (whom Jesus calls "the only true God"). Out of hundreds, or, at least DOZENS, of scriptures there are maybe TWO that seem to show that Jesus is God Almighty. They are easily proved to be spurious renderings. Jesus is the Son of God, and that's all he claimed to be. If you read the gospel closely, you will see that Jesus gives all the glory to his Father and repeatedly says that he can do nothing by himself....all his power and authority come from the Father, who is God.

The purpose of the Gospel of John is written at the end of chapter 20:

"These have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:31, NASB)

glorydaz

John is the Gospel that shows beyond all doubt that Jesus is God come in the flesh (the deity of Christ). That He was God from the beginning. John 1:1-3 Jehovah Witnesses and such cults will claim John 1:1 says He is "A GOD". That is how you can recognize all cults. They deny the Deity of our Lord and Saviour.

Right there in John 1, the apostle shows that John the Baptist is the voice crying in the wilderness...."make straight in the desert a highway for OUR GOD".

John 1:14-15
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

Isaiah 40:3
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.​

Confessing Jesus as LORD (God) is the first step in being saved. That is the foundation upon which all will be built....the only foundation upon which one is given eternal life.

glorydaz

The Gospel of John shows quite clearly who Jesus is and how he is important in our lives. There are many, many verses that show Jesus' subservience to his Father (whom Jesus calls "the only true God"). Out of hundreds, or, at least DOZENS, of scriptures there are maybe TWO that seem to show that Jesus is God Almighty. They are easily proved to be spurious renderings. Jesus is the Son of God, and that's all he claimed to be. If you read the gospel closely, you will see that Jesus gives all the glory to his Father and repeatedly says that he can do nothing by himself....all his power and authority come from the Father, who is God.

"These have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:31, NASB)

Here's a JW who immediately tries to steer you past the first chapter of John to claim Jesus is NOT the ONE LORD GOD, but a lesser God.

Lon

Out of hundreds, or, at least DOZENS, of scriptures there are maybe TWO that seem to show that Jesus is God Almighty. They are easily proved to be spurious renderings).
Meh, says a resident JW.

I particularly 'like' John so would recommend it, but would be quick to point to Romans. The Gospels (Matthew Mark Luke John) and Acts are 'history' books but teach about Spiritual matters. The Epistles are 'letters/instructions' to God's people.

Perhaps these two men wanted you to have a bit of the historical background to begin with. Welcome to TOL. -Lon

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

It means the Most High God made everything that was made through Christ and without Christ nothing was made. Christ is the Creator.

Genesis 2:4 reveals that Christ is the LORD God.

Christ is not the Most High God, but he is the Creator God who said, "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness..."
(Genesis 1:26 NKJV)

glorydaz

It means the Most High God made everything that was made through Christ and without Christ nothing was made. Christ is the Creator.

Genesis 2:4 reveals that Christ is the LORD God.

Christ is not the Most High God, but he is the Creator God who said, "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness..."
(Genesis 1:26 NKJV)

God is ONE. Period. Most HIGH, only Savior...LORD AND GOD.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

If He is the Son of God, the only begotten, then He is God for everyone begets their own kind.

That doesn't take great wisdom to understand.

glorydaz

God is ONE, one kingdom, one family.

No, the Lord our God is one LORD. There is scripture to support that.

Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Mark 12:29
And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

John 20:28-29
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Where do you get the idea that God is ONE kingdom and one family? Where is your scripture to support that?

oatmeal

Did it lift you up off of rock bottom?

Were you looking for something more to the point?

Or maybe scriptures that more specifically suited your particular situation?

Did Paul ever hand out copies of John? Or any other book?

No, the first century church taught scriptures that met a particular need.

Peter, on the day of Pentecost, did not hand out copies of Old Testament scriptures, he preached based on what he had learned from his own study and from what he learned from Jesus Christ. He taught the lordship of Jesus Christ and that God raised him from the dead as scriptures testified.

Philip preached Christ to the Samarians

Paul taught of Jesus Christ

Certainly some of what is contained in the gospel of John was taught by Peter and Philip and Paul

But they covered other scriptures as well.

Last edited:

journey

It's very sad that FALSE CULTS deny the deity of Jesus Christ. The best advice I can give you is to ignore them completely.

Jesus Christ is God the Son, one with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit - yet the three are ONE. Almighty God is a Holy Trinity and has been for eternity past.

John is a beautiful book of the Bible. John introduces you to the absolute deity of Jesus Christ. In other words, Jesus Christ is God. John 1:1-3 refers to Jesus Christ as The Word and Creator.

John 1:1-3 KJV In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Read all of John Chapter one and it will become obvious that Jesus Christ is being talked about.

John 1:14 KJV And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

In short, Jesus Christ is God (God the Son). Those who tell you differently are liars.

Ben Masada

It means first, that the book was written by a Hellenist former disciple of Paul's for the excess of anti-Jewish evidences; and second that, as Luke describes him in Acts 4:13, John was an ignorant man and, obviously, illiterate people can't write books.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have a much better idea. Read the book that is a letter from the Apostle Paul to the Ephesians.

KingdomRose

Here's a JW who immediately tries to steer you past the first chapter of John to claim Jesus is NOT the ONE LORD GOD, but a lesser God.

So you just STOP at John 1:1 and read no further? How do scriptures like these harmonize with John 1:1?.....

"Truly, truly, I [Jesus] say to you, the Son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner." (John 5:19, NASB)

"I can do nothing of my own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will, but the will of Him who sent me." (John 5:30, NASB)

"...If you loved me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28, NASB)

"Jesus said to her...'go to my brethren and say to them, "I ascend to my Father and your Father, and my God and your God."'" (John 20:17, NASB)

"I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ." (I Corinthians 11:3, NASB)

Will you harmonize these scriptures with your idea of John 1:1? Or can you?

(And how about not attacking my religious organization...we are here to discuss the scriptures themselves.)

KingdomRose

If He is the Son of God, the only begotten, then He is God for everyone begets their own kind.

That doesn't take great wisdom to understand.

Hey Totton Linnet......God begot angels and humans, too. If "everyone begets their own kind," and God begot angels and humans, then in your philosophy angels and humans are God! Right?