Christian Teacher thoughts on homeschooling

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I think we lost Mark.

WA, you chased him away!

Did he say he was a teacher? I read some of his Looooong post, he seemed mainly interested in the Christian perspective of homeschooling.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Ok ...trying to slow down the typing to help with the spelling ......... What is worse poor homeschooling or poor public school education? Neither. The question is invalid. If both are poor in the same areas it doesn't matter what system you are in. The quality matters! The problem is in the quality of whatever system you choose. One big problem for home schooling is the insistence that ANYONE can educate another person. This is the homeschool mantra based on the assumption that education is merely an extension of mothering.

.. .checking typing ... I'm using Quick Reply and don't know how to put spell checker through that option .... I'll learn eventually ... give me time .....

wholearmor

Originally posted by BillyBob
I think we lost Mark.

WA, you chased him away!

Did he say he was a teacher? I read some of his Looooong post, he seemed mainly interested in the Christian perspective of homeschooling.

I read some of it too. It's probably worth discussing but he started out alienating me with his unnecessarily long introductory post.

wholearmor

Originally posted by Mark Tindall
Ok ...trying to slow down the typing to help with the spelling ......... What is worse poor homeschooling or poor public school education? Neither. The question is invalid. If both are poor in the same areas it doesn't matter what system you are in. The quality matters! The problem is in the quality of whatever system you choose. One big problem for home schooling is the insistence that ANYONE can educate another person. This is the homeschool mantra based on the assumption that education is merely an extension of mothering.

.. .checking typing ... I'm using Quick Reply and don't know how to put spell checker through that option .... I'll learn eventually ... give me time .....

I know people that home-school and hire a tutor for any subject they're not comfortable enough trying to teach.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
NO-ONE chase me away! Yes I am a teacher. What do you want speed in typing (and therefre speedy answer with mistakes) or accurateness in typing (and therefore longer wait without mistakes ...hopefully)? .......What were we talking about again?????

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Not wishing to alienate anyone. I don't teach typing ...and never learnt it though I have written and published several books.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Picking on typing mistakes is petty. Picking on character is petty. Address the ideas not the person. Yes ...I am interested in a Christian approach to education. I am interested in critical reflection on flaws in order to help.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mark settle down... its OK.

Breath deep.

Do you seriously believe that a poor public education is equally as bad as a poor homeschool education?

The worst thing that can happen to a homeschool kid is that he get a insufficient education.

Now compare that to a public school student.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Yes - I believe poor education in any system is poor education.

You have mentioned consequences as result of the system one is in. Each system has flaws and good points.

You said:

The worst thing that can happen to a homeschool kid is that he get a insufficient education.

Now compare that to a public school student.

TYhe same thing happens an insufficient education. What else do you believe jhappens in either cause? i do not understand your argument.

wholearmor

What do you want speed in typing (and therefre speedy answer with mistakes) or accurateness in typing (and therefore longer wait without mistakes ...hopefully)?

Well, since you asked, I want speed in typing with accuracy.

wholearmor

Mark Tindall, do you believe that girls in public middle school and high school are sexually harrassed on practically a daily basis?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TYhe same thing happens an insufficient education. What else do you believe jhappens in either cause? i do not understand your argument.
Mark.... public school is a breeding ground (pun intended) of teenage pregnancy, drugs, sexual abuse, poor social habits, suicide and death.

Or have you not been paying attention to what is going on around you?

wholearmor

Speed typing with accuracy is not an option for me. We all have our liabilities ... that is mine.

Unless you are physically or mentally handicapped in some way, speed typing is an option for you. If you are physically or mentally handicapped in some way, I'm sorry and withdraw my criticism.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Mark Tindall, do you believe that girls in public middle school and high school are sexually harrassed on practically a daily basis?

It depends on the definition of "sexully harrasssed" ...and what country and area you are talking about. I live in the Land Down Under, OZ! Public schools in Australia do not tolerate any form of sexual harrassment. that does not mean it doesn't happen. When it is reported or detected teachers (and legal authorities) come down very hard on the culprits.

Mark Tindall

BANNED
Banned
Unless you are physically or mentally handicapped in some way, speed typing is an option for you. If you are physically or mentally handicapped in some way, I'm sorry and withdraw my criticism.

Ad hominem attack. Attack the ideas not the person. Otherwise bye - bye. Do you understand?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Ad hominem attack. Attack the ideas not the person. Otherwise bye - bye. Do you understand?
I don't think WA's comment was "Ad hominem attack".

Maybe you need to relax a tad and read the posts before you comment. Just a suggestion from one friend to another. :D