Christian Homeschoolers Sell Daughter in Arranged Marriage

Granite

Hall of Fame
A lot of these Christian home-school parents are taught to believe that the teenage years are a myth constructed by secular society. The typical teenage behavior (interest in sex, drugs, rebellion) occurs because they were exposed to secular society and public schools and not brought up in a proper Godly™ household. They also believe that the teenage phase won't exist when brought up in such a Godly™ household.

Those who have teenagers with such a phase are then blamed for failing to properly bring them up.

Yeah, it's as though they buy into a very Hollywoodized idea of what high school's like as opposed to the reality. That, or a lot of these Christian parents are carrying around a guilty conscience. Or they're just paranoid or uninformed. Or all the above.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
A lot of these Christian home-school parents are taught to believe that the teenage years are a myth constructed by secular society. The typical teenage behavior (interest in sex, drugs, rebellion) occurs because they were exposed to secular society and public schools and not brought up in a proper Godly™ household. They also believe that the teenage phase won't exist when brought up in such a Godly™ household.

Those who have teenagers with such a phase are then blamed for failing to properly bring them up.

:plain: Ironically enough, it was my experience during my time in the Military that, the more sheltered they were at home the more likely they were to run off the rails once they got clear of the apron strings.

.....but that is just my experience.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:plain: Ironically enough, it was my experience during my time in the Military that, the more sheltered they were at home the more likely they were to run off the rails once they got clear of the apron strings.

Yep, mine too. Where there's a shelter, there is an escape hatch.

Jose Fly

And I'd bet your kids know that and respond accordingly. Pretty sad going through life thinking "My dad doesn't trust me".

You don't have any children, do you?
Reading comprehension and retention aren't your strong suits, are they? I just said (in a post you responded to) that I have two kids.

The kids that I knew growing up that attended the local Catholic school were hardly different than the kids attending the local public school.
IOW, the religious environment didn't change anything.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Yeah. It's always a balancing act for parents, isn't it. On the one hand you want to protect them from their own limitations and the nature of a world that preys upon them and on the other that impulse can lead to making them ill prepared to meet it on their own when they have to.

...Who is to blame when the public-schooled child fails those tests?
:think: Obama?

Jose Fly

Oh definitely (although my experience comes from college). Most of us guys knew to seek out the girls who came from restrictive upbringing and/or had strict dads.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh definitely (although my experience comes from college). Most of us guys knew to seek out the girls who came from restrictive upbringing and/or had strict dads.

Yup, I have seen it. When a child/teen doesn't feel they can ask questions or share their concerns with a parent OR parents without receiving punishment or emotional backlash, they will find their answers elsewhere.

Most parents will say "my child would NEVER ... "

PureX

Sadly, I think a lot of parents confuse control with education. Trying to control what a child thinks and does is not the way to raise up an intelligent, responsible adult. It's the way to raise up an ignorant, spiteful, control freak who will in turn do the same to his/her children in a process of generational dysfunction. Life is not about knowing and obeying the rules. It's about knowing and making good choices.

Lon

Yeah, that's a scientific conclusion :plain:

You are so into confirmation bias, I wonder what your real job is. It isn't science, or at least you weren't much help.

GFR7

I am biased TOWARDS private schooling and wish it was an alternative for more children.

The only subjects I noticed any difference in were science (no evolution) and obviously, there wasn't any type of sex education outside of abstinence only. Which would have pretty much been covered in the four years of required Bible.

In the school district my children lived in while in California, they actually offered a school for independent study that worked fairly well.

The kids came in one day a week to pick up and go over their assignments and then returned to have them corrected as well as taking any tests or quizzes. The school district provided the books, lunches (for those who qualified), etc.

It was the best of both worlds. Homeschooling and guidance provided by the certified teachers employed through the district.
I agree; private schooling is best but too expensive for too many. Supervised homeschooling is a good alternative.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree; private schooling is best but too expensive for too many. Supervised homeschooling is a good alternative.

For many if not most people public school is the best available option. That's reality whether some of us like it or not.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Up to a point. If the parent finds an alternative for socialization the early years can be a bonus round, with kids overwhelmingly out performing their peers in public school. But when you get to HS, where the specialization in education requires much more of the parent they don't fare as well, which is why the advantage gained earlier essentially disappears by the time SATs come around.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
christian-homeschoolers-sell-daughter

Baloney, they are not Christians. They are weirdos!

Damaged Goods
This is flight into fantasy, no one, who is not a moron thinks of human beings as such!

And here we have yet another in the massive crowd of reasons for greater government oversight into homeschooling.

Flamer statement!

That you choose to educate your child instead of taking disadvantage of public education does NOT give you the right
Let us hope so

to lock them down and control their lives to this kind of Orwellian degree.
misplaced metaphor, hyperbolic reasoning at best.

My own family has seen the dark side of homeschooling.

Your wacky family does not represent the norm.

My uncle kept his three kids trapped at home for EIGHT YEARS under the guise of homeschooling, and because they lived in Oklahoma there was ZERO government oversight and ZERO accountability...and zero actual schooling going on.

Your uncle was a wacko, an outliner, not representative of a valid sample.

No outside interaction allowed except with family, no Internet access, no TV.
Family, what a joke, no TV, incredible!

All decisions made by Father, no discussion or disagreement allowed.
Any violations or seeming violations of Father's will were met with violent retribution.
The rest of the family was legally powerless to intervene.
More likely, passive repression, since you say they had no TV???

Nothing changed until my oldest cousin turned 18 and attempted to physically leave the house, only to be assaulted by my uncle.
My cousin ended up stabbing him and nearly killing him.

A jury acquitted my cousin after the mountain of evidence of eight years' worth of repression and abuse came to light.
Now my uncle is sitting in a cell, but his children, though now adults, are all emotionally and developmentally stunted, to say nothing of traumatized.

Good story, retelling of Oedipus, but a silly plot

Tinark

The state.

If the child meets the standard, the home-schooling was proper by the state's measure.

Who is to blame when the public-schooled child fails those tests?

I agree some sort of monitoring of progress is a good idea to make sure they are receiving a minimum acceptable level of education. However, aren't most of the conservatives here loathe to let the state determine the standards? What if an understanding of evolution, as agreed upon by the scientific community, is part of the test?

As to your second question, there is no way to lay the blame on one specific cause - it would be a combination of various factors, with each factor being given more or less weight depending on the specific circumstances in question. Same with any homeschooled child.

Lon

Can you show me where I described it that way?
Yep:
Of course. Both my kids go to a public school and it's awesome. They're straight-A students, have great friends, have wonderful and caring teachers, and even the principals and counselors are great people. My high school was much the same.
Bias. I've worked at every school in two districts as a sub before getting hired full-time. They are not all wonderful and caring teachers, nor are all the principals and counselors always suited to their jobs. Is your school the exception? Possibly, likely not.

OTOH, some of us knew that if you wanted to party and score with a girl, your best bet was to get invited to a party thrown by kids from any of the religious schools.
On this particular, the variables are incredibly complex, so social science does case studies over long periods of time to determine which factors contribute to which social scenarios. There is some correlation between people who completely reject their faith origins, and the extremity of their actions and ideals display the relation. Is it always the "party thrown by the kids from 'any' of the religious schools?" Naw, this just looks like your usual attempt t malign and marginalize. So while we had this conversation in the past, and you are just here for fun, I thought I'd disdain your academic prowess and your supposed-pseudo-science background again. You say things that are poor science a LOT.

They were always the wildest kids, probably because that's where parents with money sent 'em when they started getting into trouble.
Correlation vs. observation and verification. Why? Because this is how your mind works with Christians.
As I said, parents with money and troubled kids almost always sent their kids to the religious schools, I guess figuring that the religious environment would straighten them out. Didn't always work that way.
Again, some anecdotal correlation of yours, which is quickly shoved into a summation without data gathering, other than what you threw together from your garage.

I can feel that Christian love from here. :rolleyes:
Confirmation bias. Try "where's the love?" next time. You know, gather data THEN draw a conclusion. Sound bytes on the internet aren't the best place for data collection, for the most part, but I find it troubling that your mind doesn't seem to naturally work this way (it misses a whole lot of data in between intake an a hasty conclusion). I hope my taxes aren't paying your salary. I don't really want you doing science work for me or society at large. You don't have the mind for it. You might be okay in a lab pushing large amounts of someone else's findings to another department or lab, like a supervisor or departmental messenger.

Back to just you and me: You like making fun of Christians, in school-yard antics of degradation. I don't tend to like bullies and usually get in their face for doing it. I've heard the "just having fun" line enough to know where it is coming from and where it is headed.

This thread was about a specific and unique problem with some home-schooling and you turned that around to Christian schools and Christian kids who rebel and a lot of other vindictive general assessments that have nothing to do with the OP, other than you doing your usual Christian disdaining act of making fun of what you hate. It is getting old.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

My FIRST choice (from my own experience) would be to utilize private, Christian schooling. Though, as stated, many people cannot afford these schools.

I am also not going to state that ALL public schools are bad or good. It depends on the area, board members and faculty.

Homeschooling is perfectly acceptable IF the child is learning at the same standard he/she would elsewhere. Like all of these choices, it comes down to parenting and motives.

My motive for utilizing Christian school had to do with being an overprotective mom who wanted my children in a place with stricter rules and less children.

Lon

I agree some sort of monitoring of progress is a good idea to make sure they are receiving a minimum acceptable level of education. However, aren't most of the conservatives here loathe to let the state determine the standards? What if an understanding of evolution, as agreed upon by the scientific community, is part of the test?
I can't even remember the last science test I took that dealt primarily with evolution. See here. I'm not sure we need to be paying extra taxes to monitor this. For the most part, home-schooled children are higher than the national average. There is some sort of monitoring that parents do avail themselves of, to see how their kids are doing. It just isn't the state they generally go to find this. Curriculum companies help parents do assessment work and the kids can go online to take tests as well.

Jose Fly

Um......what? :idunno:

You implied that I was forming a "scientific conclusion", and you honestly...seriously think "Both my kids go to a public school and it's awesome. They're straight-A students, have great friends, have wonderful and caring teachers, and even the principals and counselors are great people. My high school was much the same" is me doing that?

You're not making even the slightest bit of sense....at all.

Bias. I've worked at ever school in two districts as a sub before getting hired full-time. They are not all wonderful and caring teachers, nor are all the principals and counselors always suited to their jobs. Is your school the exception? Possibly, but likely not.
I suppose if you could show where I said "all schools" then you'd have a point. But as we've seen, you lost your reading comprehension tool kit today.

So you weren't a looker in HS? This might be confirmation bias, or just true for so-so looking people. On this particular, the variables are incredibly complex, so social science does case studies over long periods of time to determine which factors contribute to which social scenarios. There is some correlation between people who completely reject their faith origins, and the extremity of their actions and ideals display the relation. Is it always the "party thrown by the kids from 'any' of the religious schools?" Naw, this just looks like your usual attempt t malign and marginalize. So while we had this conversation in the past, and you are just here for fun, I thought I'd disdain your academic prowess and your supposed-pseudo-science background again. You say things that are poor science a LOT.
Lon, you have some serious problems. Why you think me sharing my personal experiences = science is beyond me.

Wait....maybe that's one of your problems here. You really don't have any idea what "science" is. Apparently you think "science" is "everything a scientist says".

Again, some anecdotal correlation of yours, which is quickly shoved into a summation without data gathering, other than what you threw together from your garage.
You are really one screwed up person.

Confirmation bias. Try "where's the love?" next time. You know, gather data THEN draw a conclusion. Sound bytes on the internet aren't the best place for data collection, for the most part, but I find it troubling that your mind doesn't seem to naturally work this way (it misses a whole lot of data in between intake an a hasty conclusion). I hope my taxes aren't paying your salary. I don't really want you doing science work for me or society at large. You don't have the mind for it. You might be okay in a lab pushing large amounts of someone else's findings to another department or lab, like a supervisor or departmental messenger.
Wow. Off your meds today?

Back to just you and me: You like making fun of Christians, in a school-yard antics of degradation.
And people like you just walk right into it, like above. Don't like being made fun of for saying stupid things? Then stop saying stupid things.

I don't tend to like bullies and usually get in their face for doing it. I've heard the "just having fun" line enough to know where it is coming from and where it is headed.

This thread was about a specific and unique problem with some home-schooling and you turned that around to Christian schools and Christian kids who rebel and a lot of other vindictive general assessments that have nothing to do with the OP, other than you doing your usual Christian disdaining act of making fun of what you hate. It is getting old.
Again you need to go and find your reading comprehension tool kit. The OP started off by tying this to Christianity. I mean....it's in the headline of the news article in the OP!

"Christian Homeschoolers Sell Daughter into Arranged Marriage, Give Discount Because She's "Damaged Goods""

Try and pay attention to the whole thread next time, rather than jumping in the middle just because one of the posters bothers you.