Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You are projecting. Try asking a question that is relevant to the discussion next time.

Meaning you can't answer the question.

Again:

What do you think, that passing Christians were all so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks?

Or do you think most of them gave it a passing thought (if they noticed it at all), or maybe a whole line of thought, or maybe saw a teaching moment for their children riding with them, a chance to talk about their beliefs and the beliefs (and non-beliefs) that others hold, and how we live in a country that allows us those freedoms?

Seriously, you must have low expectations for passing Christian motorists. Much lower expectations than I have.

I don't believe their faith is so weak that the billboard must come down to protect it. Do you?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They put up a billboard to reach out to other Atheists during a time when society is saturated with religion, and you know it.

Reaching out to them for what?

Explain the reaching out in this one aimed at children that is clearly mocking in nature:

american-atheists-christmas-billboard-reading-dear-santa-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-to-skip-church-im-too-old-for-fairy-tales-released-on-dec-1-2014.jpg

rexlunae

Atheism is the general religious belief that there is no gods, and more specifically the religious belief that the Judeo-Christian God of the Bible does not exist.

The former is right, but the later is not. Atheists are no more opposed, on the average, to your god than to any other.

I state this because Atheists spend much more time arguing against the Judeo-Christian God than against any other god.

Atheists in Christian countries and environments do, sure. If you were a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu, you might have a different impression. Ultimately, this is a selection effect.

fool

Hall of Fame
Reaching out to them for what?

Explain the reaching out in this one aimed at children that is clearly mocking in nature:

american-atheists-christmas-billboard-reading-dear-santa-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-to-skip-church-im-too-old-for-fairy-tales-released-on-dec-1-2014.jpg

Thank You Angel!
That is a great example of a confrontational billboard!
THAT is a billboard that would be relevant to Town's point, IF that were the billboard we are discussing.
IF we were discussing that billboard I would agree with Town.
But it's not, so I don't.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Thank You Angel!
That is a great example of a confrontational billboard!
THAT is a billboard that would be relevant to Town's point, IF that were the billboard we are discussing.
IF we were discussing that billboard I would agree with Town.
But it's not, so I don't.

That organization also claimed to be reaching out. So i am asking how that is reaching out?

quip

BANNED
Banned
TH, the arbiter of what he finds offensive and with reason. Sure. As are you and anyone who disparages and/or differs with it within the confines of your own noggins, which is a little bit funny when you think about it.

I fully understand how you might disagree with the specific message being relayed...rather I'm surprised by you marginalizing the spirit of the message itself ....simply because of a differing p.o.v.

Per the traditional methods of advertising.... the month of December seems an optimal time/place to carry such a message (for those very reasons you've given prior). Candid perhaps, though hardly offensive.

Perhaps, this hits too close to home and thus you've lost perspective...though I'm surprised as you generally keep your personal "trees" from obscuring the forest (albeit unpopular) in question.

genuineoriginal

Meaning you can't answer the question.
Spoken like a true atheist.
:up:

Again:
What do you think, that passing Christians were all so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks?

Seriously, you must have low expectations for passing Christian motorists. Much lower expectations than I have.
No, your expectations seem to have reached the lowest point possible when you ask whether Christians are going to be "so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks".

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Spoken like a true atheist.
:up:

What a bizarre thing for you to say. The fact that you can't answer a question doesn't make me an atheist.

No, your expectations seem to have reached the lowest point possible when you ask whether Christians are going to be "so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks".
You do like to quote selectively, don't you?

My expectations for passing Christian motorists:

I don't believe their faith is so weak that the billboard must come down to protect it. Do you?

Unfortunately, it seems you do.

fool

Hall of Fame
That organization also claimed to be reaching out. So i am asking how that is reaching out?

I don't think it is, it mentions Christmas and Church and is clearly directed at children and belittles Christianity with the "fairy tale" angle.

I would call that billboard crass and tasteless and counterproductive.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't think it is, it mentions Christmas and Church and is clearly directed at children and belittles Christianity with the "fairy tale" angle.

I would call that billboard crass and tasteless and counterproductive.

Thanks.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Atheist Billboard in Alabama Gets Taken Down Two Weeks Early Following Complaints from Local Residents

Free speech!! Censorship!! Soon it'll be illegal to be an atheist!!! Aaaaaahhhhhhh!

:chuckle:

Just wanted to add what your link left out, the 2 week delay was due to the time it took the atheist group to respond back when they were asked for a disclaimer to add to the billboard:

The initial billboard contract was set to begin the week of Christmas but a snag led to a delay, according to Troy Tatum, vice-president of Lamar Advertising in Mobile.

Tatum said the company asked for a disclaimer be added to the billboard saying who paid for it.

Jason Heap of the United Coalition of Reason said it was the first time he had ever been asked to provide a disclaimer but that the group obliged.

The billboard was then put up during the first week of Jan., but the contract clock had still apparently been ticking.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/01/billboard_erected_to_unite_peo.html

So, it seems it wasn't yanked early, but the atheist group caused the time lapse by not responding in a timely manner.

As far as not leaving it up longer, because of the atheist groups delay, thats not reason to hold up other business that has contracts.

They were also offered half their money back too.

fool

Hall of Fame
Just wanted to add what your link left out, the 2 week delay was due to the time it took the atheist group to respond back when they were asked for a disclaimer to add to the billboard:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/01/billboard_erected_to_unite_peo.html

So, it seems it wasn't yanked early, but the atheist group caused the time lapse by not responding in a timely manner.

As far as not leaving it up longer, because of the atheist groups delay, thats not reason to hold up other business that has contracts.

They were also offered half their money back too.

Sounds like everything worked it'self out then.
Except the mechanics of the billboard business isn't what we are really talking about here.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Sounds like everything worked it'self out then.
Except the mechanics of the billboard business isn't what we are really talking about here.

No, but not leaving up an additional 2 weeks is what the op was whining about without checking all the facts.