Cautious hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

youri

Hello everyone! My name is Youri and I'm a Korean girl. I am a Protestant Christian and believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation.

I've always liked a good debate but recently fell in love with philosophy. I decided to join mainly to see what other kind of opinions people have there as the community I live in all kind of share the same belief and I feel claustrophobic at times.

Also, random tidbit: Currently my favorite theologians are C. S. Lewis & Blaise Pascal, if anyone likes either of them.

So uhh, nice to meet everyone.

InHope

Welcome to TOL! You'll find good debates here, but you'll also find plenty of irrational ones as well. Good luck!

By the way (just curious) are you a Korean-American or do you live in Korea? I have a friend who just got back from teaching English in South Korea.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
welcome to TOL

is there a philosopher that you like?

I like Socrates, Kant, and Spinoza

youri

By the way (just curious) are you a Korean-American or do you live in Korea? I have a friend who just got back from teaching English in South Korea.

Neither. This is actually kind of messed up but I'm a Korean living in Europe attending an international school with an American curriculum.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

InHope

Neither. This is actually kind of messed up but I'm a Korean living in Europe attending an international school with an American curriculum.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

That's awesome! Hopefully you'll have some unique insights for us because of your diverse background.

Adoration

Hello everyone! My name is Youri and I'm a Korean girl. I am a Protestant Christian and believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation.

I've always liked a good debate but recently fell in love with philosophy. I decided to join mainly to see what other kind of opinions people have there as the community I live in all kind of share the same belief and I feel claustrophobic at times.

Also, random tidbit: Currently my favorite theologians are C. S. Lewis & Blaise Pascal, if anyone likes either of them.

Great choices.

You would also love GK Chesterton, whom Lewis said wrote the best Christian apologetics ever written.

You can read his book Orthodoxy here for free:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/130

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How do you feel about free ponies? :think:...it's important.
I've always liked a good debate but recently fell in love with philosophy.
An interest of mine as well, though I have nothing like your excuse...:idunno:
I decided to join mainly to see what other kind of opinions people have there as the community I live in all kind of share the same belief and I feel claustrophobic at times.
It's a varied plate here, but mind what you swallow whole. :chew:
Especially fond of Lewis. Have your read M. Scott Peck? The Road Less Traveled is his more famous work. People of the Lie is an interesting examination of evil. :poly:
Did I sense a hesitation...and by that I mean, of course, a wise move. :chuckle:

Welcome! :e4e:

PS--it occurs to me that if you marry, one day your husband might say, straight faced, "What's mine is Youri's." ...and isn't that delightful? :D

youri

Wow lots of replies, thanks for the welcomes and warnings(?).

@ chrysostom - To be honest I'm not deep enough into philosophy yet to have made all my opinions so I kind of agree with most philosophers in some way. I do like Socrates though.
@ Adoration - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely try it sometime.
@ Town Heretic -
Especially fond of Lewis. Have your read M. Scott Peck? The Road Less Traveled is his more famous work. People of the Lie is an interesting examination of evil.

No, I've heard of that somewhere though.

Also, your last comment made me laugh a lot.

John Mortimer

Hi youri :)

I've certainly been a fan of C.S. Lewis as well.

Also you mention Socrates - have you read the Phaedo and/or the Apology? These are philosophical works that genuinely interface with theology in a general and timeless way.

Good to meet you!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hi youri :)

I've certainly been a fan of C.S. Lewis as well.

Also you mention Socrates - have you read the Phaedo and/or the Apology? These are philosophical works that genuinely interface with theology in a general and timeless way.

Good to meet you!

I'd throw in "The Meditations", by Marcus Aurelius and "The Consolation of Philosophy", by Boethius. :poly:

Status
Not open for further replies.