BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimiel

logos_x said:
Obviously not.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
(Rev 2:11 KJV)
You fail to notice what it is The Word of God is describing as being overcome:

1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

1 John 4:4
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5
Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Obviously this 'overcoming' doesn't take place after one's life is over. He's talking about overcoming this world, overcoming the enemy, and doing so because of faith in The Son of God, in this life.

logos_x

Aimiel said:
You fail to notice what it is The Word of God is describing as being overcome:

1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

1 John 4:4
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5
Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Obviously this 'overcoming' doesn't take place after one's life is over. He's talking about overcoming this world, overcoming the enemy, and doing so because of faith in The Son of God, in this life.

Amiel, it isn't over until its over.

And, in the verse I quoted, it has to do with facing death for the gospel...becoming a martyr for the faith.

I don't view death as the end. Apparently, you do.

Aimiel

logos_x said:
Amiel, it isn't over until its over.
There's only one thing more 'over' than death: the second death.
I don't view death as the end. Apparently, you do.
Yes, I do, for the lost, because that is their last chance to receive the Gospel. What Scriptures say that Christ is offered to the lost after their death?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Dave Miller said:
I've given my response regarding sin which harms people in general.

And according to you sexual immorality doesn't?

What specifically do you have in mind when you describe "sexual morality?" Adultery?

Any. Is it your love of homosexuality that keeps you from answering or what?

I don't think Paul would like...

I seriously doubt you really know what Paul would or would not like. But I have an idea he wouldn't like an "assistant pastor" joining with a pagan mocking what he has to say. So how about you stick your nose into the NT for a change and come up with something he said on this issue?

Once again, here the questions any assistant pastor should be able to easily answer:
If a member of your congregation was committing sexual immorality, what would you do?

Does Paul tell us how a congregation of members of the Body of Christ should handle it? If so, where?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
Obviously not.

Then why is your answer the same when asked what does one die to?

To answer your last question "we" as in "we who are subject to the second death", whomever that may include.

dale

Nineveh said:
"He doesn't have to override it because He is working to create it."

Then what exactly does this mean?
for it is God Who is operating in you to will as well as to work for the sake of His delight. Phil 2:13

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Then why is your answer the same when asked what does one die to?

To answer your last question "we" as in "we who are subject to the second death", whomever that may include.

The answer lies in when one is resurrected and subsequently made not subject to death, Nin. In this Christ is the first. Secondly those who are Christ's at His return. But later on, in the end, everyone would be made subject to Christ, not death, so that God may be all in all.

Blessed and holy are those who share in the First Resurrection. The Second Death has no power over them, but they shall be priests to God and to Christ, and shall be kings with Christ for the thousand years.
(Rev 20:6 WNT)

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
(Rev 21:8 KJVR)​

But this is not the end. ALL death will be overcome. Everthing will be brought into subjection to Christ.

For just as through Adam all die, so also through Christ all will be made alive again. But this will happen to each in the right order--Christ having been the first to rise, and afterwards Christ's people rising at His return. Later on, comes the End, when He is to surrender the Kingship to God, the Father, when He shall have overthrown all other government and all other authority and power. For He must continue King until He shall have put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy that is to be overthrown is Death; for He will have put all things in subjection under His feet. And when He shall have declared that "All things are in subjection," it will be with the manifest exception of Him who has reduced them all to subjection to Him. But when the whole universe has been made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also become subject to Him who has made the universe subject to Him, in order that GOD may be all in all.
(1Co 15:22-28 WNT)​

So, the answer is simple. The second death as well will be overcome and is therefore not eternal and permanent. This is obvious.

Notice in the passage I just quoted it is God alone that is not in subjection to Christ..."it will be with the manifest exception of Him who has reduced them all to subjection to Him" and it is with the express purpose of bringing the whole universe into subjection to God...not death, not hell, not sin, not a curse. But note also what the LAST enemy is to be overthrown.

It clear as a bell, Nin. The doctrine of eternal torment is a strong delusion that obscures that outcome. That is why the Bible uses the words it uses that don't mean eternal. When men began to think that the chastisments were endless that leaven leavened the whole lump. And this was done by force, through Rome.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
The answer lies in when one is resurrected and subsequently made not subject to death, Nin. In this Christ is the first. Secondly those who are Christ's at His return. But later on, in the end, everyone would be made subject...

Instead of another sermon which won't go anywhere, did you have an answer to what folks die to in the second death? Or are you sticking with the "die to everything" like in the first death?

If so, let's take this dialog back to the garden.

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Instead of another sermon which won't go anywhere, did you have an answer to what folks die to in the second death? Or are you sticking with the "die to everything" like in the first death?

If so, let's take this dialog back to the garden.

Nin, I get the impression you don't like the answers, no matter how scriptural, if they disagree with what you think you know

So...lets not take this anywhere...I disagree with you, you disagree with me. You think I'm wrong, and I think you're wrong.

That's as far as it goes for me.

Aimiel

Lord, who then can be saved.
Everyone, of course, God would not allow anyone to go to hell and actually stay there. :duh:

Oops, Jesus didn't say that, did He? He said that whosoever's name wasn't written in The Lamb's Book of Life would be cast into the Lake of Fire. Nowhere does The Bible say anything about anyone ever getting out of the Lake of Fire or hell.

Aimiel

logos_x said:
Nin, I get the impression you don't like the answers, no matter how scriptural, if they disagree with what you think you know

So...lets not take this anywhere...I disagree with you, you disagree with me. You think I'm wrong, and I think you're wrong.

That's as far as it goes for me.
Doesn't sound like you're willing to give a reason for the hope that is inside you. Sounds like you're being obstinate and avoiding the questions.

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Lord, who then can be saved.
Everyone, of course, God would not allow anyone to go to hell and actually stay there. :duh:

Oops, Jesus didn't say that, did He? He said that whosoever's name wasn't written in The Lamb's Book of Life would be cast into the Lake of Fire. Nowhere does The Bible say anything about anyone ever getting out of the Lake of Fire or hell.

Really?

Rev 22:1 Then he showed me the river of the Water of Life, bright as crystal, issuing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Rev 22:2 On either side of the river, midway between it and the main street of the city, was the Tree of Life. It produced twelve kinds of fruit, yielding a fresh crop month by month, and the leaves of the tree served as medicine for the nations.
Rev 22:3 "In future there will be no curse," he said, "but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in that city. And His servants will render Him holy service and will see His face,
Rev 22:4 and His name will be on their foreheads.
Rev 22:5 And there will be no night there; and they have no need of lamplight or sunlight, for the Lord God will shine upon them, and they will be kings until the Ages of the Ages."
Rev 22:6 And he said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the Prophets, sent His angel to make known to His servants the things which must soon happen.
Rev 22:7 'I am coming quickly.' Blessed is he who is mindful of the predictions contained in this book."
Rev 22:8 I John heard and saw these things; and when I had heard and seen them, I fell at the feet of the angel who was showing me them--to worship him.
Rev 22:9 But he said to me, "Oh, do not do that. I am a fellow bondservant of yours, and a fellow bondservant of your brethren the Prophets and of those who are mindful of the teachings of this book. Worship God."
Rev 22:10 "Make no secret," he added, "of the meaning of the predictions contained in this book; for the time for their fulfillment is now close at hand.
Rev 22:11 Let the dishonest man act dishonestly still; let the filthy make himself filthy still; let the righteous practise righteousness still; and let the holy be made holy still."
Rev 22:12 "I am coming quickly; and My reward is with Me, that I may requite every man in accordance with what his conduct has been.
Rev 22:13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes clean, that they may have a right to the Tree of Life, and may go through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 The unclean are shut out, and so are all who practise magic, all fornicators, all murderers, and those who worship idols, and every one who loves falsehood and tells lies.​

Is that them? Are these the ones cast into the lake of fire and brimstone?

Rev 22:16 "I Jesus have sent My angel for him solemnly to declare these things to you among the Churches. I am the Root and the offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.
Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come;' and whoever hears, let him say, 'Come;' and let those who are thirsty come. Whoever will, let him take the Water of Life, without payment

Who is this invitation leaving out?

Seems to me you have failed to see the rest of the story. You think they never get out of a hopeless condition, while the Bible says something quite different. In fact, it's obviously saying that death will be completely overcome when it's all over, and all things will be in subjection to God. To deny this is to mutilate the scriptures.

But, to you this is ananthama and false doctrine..it therefore shall not even be considered. So you make statements like those above as though they are really true, and rant against Jesus saving all men thinking what you are saying is true when it is obvious it isn't.

Well, at least you guys don't burn people at the stake anymore for believing that Jesus is the savior of all men, especially those that believe.

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Doesn't sound like you're willing to give a reason for the hope that is inside you. Sounds like you're being obstinate and avoiding the questions.

Really?

Just what do you think I've been doing while engaging in a Battle Royale and the entirity of this thread, Aim?

Don't turn this around on me...I'm just not willing to continue to reason for the hope that is in me when it is being rejected.

logos_x

Actually, I take that back...I am willing to reason for the hope that is in me when it's being rejected. But How long does one continue to do so before it becomes futile, not because you can't argue anymore, but because it is being rejected out of some principle within the plausibility structure you are arguing against?

Aimiel

logos_x said:
Rev 22:11 Let the dishonest man act dishonestly still; let the filthy make himself filthy still; let the righteous practise righteousness still; and let the holy be made holy still."
Is there a reason that you bolded only a portion of this verse? Could it be that you don't believe the first part, that the dishonest will continue their dishonesty, the filthy will remain filthy?
Rev 22:16 "I Jesus have sent My angel for him solemnly to declare these things to you among the Churches. I am the Root and the offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.
Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come;' and whoever hears, let him say, 'Come;' and let those who are thirsty come. Whoever will, let him take the Water of Life, without payment

Who is this invitation leaving out?
No one. Who responds? Not everyone. Only those who believe in Jesus and endure to the end will obtain eternal life.
Seems to me you have failed to see the rest of the story. You think they never get out of a hopeless condition, while the Bible says something quite different.
Seems to me you misunderstand The Word of God.
In fact, it's obviously saying that death will be completely overcome when it's all over, and all things will be in subjection to God. To deny this is to mutilate the scriptures.
I don't deny that death will be overcome, and it (the very spirit of death) will also be tormented in the Lake of Fire for eternity. To deny this is to mutilate The Scriptures.
Well, at least you guys don't burn people at the stake anymore for believing that Jesus is the savior of all men, especially those that believe.
Jesus being The Only Savior, offered to all men, able to save to the uttermost all who put thier trust in Him doesn't mean that all men will be saved. To believe it does one has to mutilate The Scriptures, not to mention reason and logic.

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Is there a reason that you bolded only a portion of this verse? Could it be that you don't believe the first part, that the dishonest will continue their dishonesty, the filthy will remain filthy?No one. Who responds? Not everyone. Only those who believe in Jesus and endure to the end will obtain eternal life.Seems to me you misunderstand The Word of God.I don't deny that death will be overcome, and it (the very spirit of death) will also be tormented in the Lake of Fire for eternity. To deny this is to mutilate The Scriptures.Jesus being The Only Savior, offered to all men, able to save to the uttermost all who put thier trust in Him doesn't mean that all men will be saved. To believe it does one has to mutilate The Scriptures, not to mention reason and logic.

I bolded the relevent parts that you seem to be unwilling to consider...not because I don't believe the other parts.

My point was the invitation is given even then...not as though they cannot respond to it. There is nothing standing in their way but their own stubborn will if they don't respond, not that they aren't offered to come.

In your view they CANNOT respond, and the invitation isn't even offered to them.

Aimiel

logos_x said:
Really.
Just what do you think I've been doing while engaging in a Battle Royale and the entirity of this thread, Aim?
I really don't know, log; but it appears that all you're able to do is cling to your heresy by misunderstanding and refusing to be reasoned with by the prayerful considered friends who try to persuade you of the truth. It is good, though, that you at least appear to have stopped quoting idiotic gobbledeygook from countless idiots with as much disregard for understanding as yourself who made this nonsense their life's work (what a tragedy for them), you're doing a lot better, I must say.
Don't turn this around on me...I'm just not willing to continue to reason for the hope that is in me when it is being rejected.
You must. It is why we're on TOL. We're here to not only give reason for that hope which lives in us, we want it to become contagious. We want the earnest desire for Truth to spread its seed across this planet before we leave here. We want anyone who might just barely escape the fires of hell to be able to do so. We want to do The Lord's Will, instead of our own. Don't let go of His Hand, no matter how many flames consume your eyeballs, trust in His Holiness and Goodness. He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that you could ever ask or even imagine.

Aimiel

logos_x said:
I bolded the relevent parts that you seem to be unwilling to consider...not because I don't believe the other parts.
What on earth makes you think for one minute that I don't believe that whoever was holy in their life will continue to walk in holiness in Heaven? What, on the other hand, could ever make you think that someone who is filthy would be allowed to remain filthy in Heaven? It isn't relevant to your viewpoint, if you'll simply read the verse. Why would we need to be told that whoever is holy will remain so in Heaven? We aren't. The verse is talking about now. It is talking about 'from now on' not in Heaven.

No one is allowed out of hell or the Lake of Fire. Nowhere in Scripture are we told that it is possible for anyone sentenced there to ever escape. Ever.

logos_x

Aimiel said:

rrriiiiiiight :nono:

I really don't know, log; but it appears that all you're able to do is cling to your heresy by misunderstanding and refusing to be reasoned with by the prayerful considered friends who try to persuade you of the truth. It is good, though, that you at least appear to have stopped quoting idiotic gobbledeygook from countless idiots with as much disregard for understanding as yourself who made this nonsense their life's work (what a tragedy for them), you're doing a lot better, I must say.

Well, Aim, It seems to me that you cling to eternal torment as though it is necessary...even to the point of being unwilling to think any differntly about what the scriptures actually say. You hold on the your precious unending torment...like the ring in Lord of the Rings...and refuse to see it be destroyed, no matter how biblical the argument might be. You spout your gobbledegook as though it's gospel, and in the process derail God's ability to save all men...no matter what is presented in rebuttle.

So..it appears that we appear about the same to each other.

You must. It is why we're on TOL. We're here to not only give reason for that hope which lives in us, we want it to become contagious. We want the earnest desire for Truth to spread its seed across this planet before we leave here. We want anyone who might just barely escape the fires of hell to be able to do so. We want to do The Lord's Will, instead of our own. Don't let go of His Hand, no matter how many flames consume your eyeballs, trust in His Holiness and Goodness. He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that you could ever ask or even imagine.

Amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.