Brexit

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One last time, here is my position:

The list is far from exhaustive, I could easily extend it but tiredness prevents. And I tried to avoid some of the tired issues that are in the headlines so as to make my points a little more interesting. I used to be a Europhile and learnt to speak French very fluently – French people noticed my accent but thought I was from another part of the country! And of course I lived in Paris and married Julie there. Like a lot of people in the Leave leadership, I also still appreciate the interacting with different cultures. It is something that has really enlarged my intellect greatly. But the EU itself is quite a different issue now. Anyway, here is my list:

I agree wholeheartedly that it is not about Cameron or Gove or Farage, but about our children and grandchildren. So this is what I have thought after much research and deliberation… I have pasted it in from another email I sent to someone. It is really only touching on a few issues but it will give you a flavour of my views.

5. Half of our laws are determined for us by the EU Commission, not by parliament. This has led to a number of occasions where our parties have made promises they were unable to keep because the ECJ overruled it. We cannot abolish tampon tax, we cannot reduce VAT on home heating bills and myriad other issues. Worse is that this EU Commission that makes all the laws is unelected. It consists mostly of former government ministers from member states who have lost elections and who somehow manage to get a permanent job for their retirement. And they invent silly laws like the shape of vegetables that are allowed to be sold in shops. Which means that all the mis-shapes just get thrown away. But there is nothing whatsoever that anyone can do to challenge these laws or the people who make them.

Thanks for this. I enjoyed reading it. I really need to read more about how the EU works. I was especially interested in #5.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Democracy? that is just mob rule, a nanny state, it is obvious what you dislike is liberty. You say half the free world is not conservative, and it is no wonder why it is so screwed up now that liberals have had it their way.

You really need to take a long hard look at American society....I LOVE America, I love Americans....but not all Americans share the dream. Too many are from the wrong end of town.

And by the way, I am free

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
BRITAIN HAS VOTED TO LEAVE THE EUROPEAN UNION

The margin is narrow at 52 to 48 per cent....the pound has fallen from £1-50 to £1-35 to the dollar overnight and the Euro lovers are already speaking in apocalyptic terms.

This has all come about because British politicians [and the media] have completely lost touch with the people...they WOULD NOT LISTEN. And the Europeans would not consider reform.

No doubt they will punish us but I am glad.....

marhig

The margin is narrow at 52 to 48 per cent....the pound has fallen from £1-50 to £1-35 to the dollar overnight and the Euro lovers are already speaking in apocalyptic terms.

This has all come about because British politicians [and the media] have completely lost touch with the people...they WOULD NOT LISTEN. And the Europeans would not consider reform.

Me too, I voted out too!

Btw I totally agree, the politicians have completely lost touch with the people.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I recently found out that I am very ill myself with perhaps only months left. I was immediately put on antidepressants. The first one drained my strength and although I found the second one to be worse I chose to stick with it since I was led to believe I would eventually see a benefit, but it didn't happen.
I was tired and lethargic and didn't care a rat's for the EU, in or out.

Nearly a week ago I stopped taking any antidepressants and began taking steroids.
Today was the first time for a while that my head was reasonably clear to think properly and some physical fitness has returned to me along with a desire to eat.
With my now regained faculties I concluded that despite everything the UK has been a better place after being in the EU and that most of our nuttier politicians want us to vote leave.

Today I enjoyed the strength to walk to the polling station and cast my vote to remain in, and now I intend to have a beer.

You don't need to respond to this DR, but best wishes for your own situation. :e4e:

Sorry to hear your news. I was given 6 - 8 weeks in early February. Medically speaking, they were wrong on the timing but still right on the eventual prognosis. Now, I feel it could be any day. The good thing is that we have had time to prepare. Do remember to actually live the days remaining instead of worrying about this and that ailment.

Brexit: sorry you were on the losing side.

I feel better for it. I was hoping to survive long enough to vote leave.
Keep well.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Using the Britain/America vs Britain/EU comparison, Britain even has a better chance since they are an already developed nation.
Exactly! But don't exaggerate - we are only the 5th largest economy in the world.
They all said we are better off in the EU. The implication being we are a bunch of morons still in nappies.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Very well said Totty. Who cares what a few wealthy individuals say. Our point was that we don't want to be told what to do any more by people whose only gain from us doing what we are told is their own gain.The vast majority of British businesses do not export anything to the EU. Only a small number of very large firms do. Yet every one of the businesses still has to comply with mountains of rules and regulations that impinge on their business fluency.

musterion

The solution seems obvious looking at that map. England should leave by itself. Then the United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern Ireland can remain.

You guys need to hit the ground running and scrape off the now useless Scots. Let them stay with the EU on their own.