Breaking: Supreme Court will decide marriage for US in June, once and for all

republicanchick

Well, the problem is Justice Kennedy: If he swings towards the liberal justices, same sex marriage will become the law of the land. I am hoping he does the right thing, but I don't trust him.

you know, I kinda have a problem maybe you can help me with... I believe in freedom. If someone wants to do some disgusting thing w/ someone he shouldn't be with, as long as the person is of age... I mean, I do think the state has an interest in curtailing this kind of awful behavior but still... we are a free counrty, so I am wondering how you and I reconcile all this..

__

GFR7

you know, I kinda have a problem maybe you can help me with... I believe in freedom. If someone wants to do some disgusting thing w/ someone he shouldn't be with, as long as the person is of age... I mean, I do think the state has an interest in curtailing this kind of awful behavior but still... we are a free counrty, so I am wondering how you and I reconcile all this..

__
I believe this as well, which is why I believe people are free to be gay and to act on it, even if I don't agree with it. However, they don't need marriage.

They can have civil unions, and that is not inequality, because marriage is there for the natural offspring of the two sexes which come together in all species.

I also think same sex marriage is just part of their whole campaign to get society to celebrate them (not just accept them). It's not necessary, and it's not homophobic to be against it.

republicanchick

I believe this as well, which is why I believe people are free to be gay and to act on it, even if I don't agree with it. However, they don't need marriage.

They can have civil unions, and that is not inequality, because marriage is there for the natural offspring of the two sexes which come together in all species.

I also think same sex marriage is just part of their whole campaign to get society to celebrate them (not just accept them). It's not necessary, and it's not homophobic to be against it.

I agree, but I just wonder if they may have a valid point about discrimination... I don't know... still thinking about this one..

what I hate is the effect on innocent CHILDREN... don't want children growing up thinking being gay is normal..

so again, the state has an interest in not encouraging such a thing..

++

GFR7

I agree, but I just wonder if they may have a valid point about discrimination... I don't know... still thinking about this one..

what I hate is the effect on innocent CHILDREN... don't want children growing up thinking being gay is normal..

so again, the state has an interest in not encouraging such a thing..

++
Yes, I reached that conclusion myself. :thumb:

Daniel1611

So I hear the argument that homosexuals should not be able to get married because the Bible says they can't. Many of these people say they support civil unions or something like that. My problem is this: If you're going to make a Biblical argument about homosexuality, don't say the Bible says they can't get married. The Bible's stance on homosexuals is not to keep them from getting married, now is it?

GFR7

So I hear the argument that homosexuals should not be able to get married because the Bible says they can't. Many of these people say they support civil unions or something like that. My problem is this: If you're going to make a Biblical argument about homosexuality, don't say the Bible says they can't get married. The Bible's stance on homosexuals is not to keep them from getting married, now is it?
Right - A Biblical argument cannot support civil unions or any gay activity at all.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Right - A Biblical argument cannot support civil unions or any gay activity at all.

Then why the fervent political move against homosexual marriage and not civil unions?

Is this less about the supposed biblical "sin" of homosexuality ....rather more about religious hubris/political posturing?

TracerBullet

Well, the problem is Justice Kennedy: If he swings towards the liberal justices, same sex marriage will become the law of the land. I am hoping he does the right thing, but I don't trust him.

Liberal justices: a justice whose rulings are based on the constitution

TracerBullet

no it's homophobic

TracerBullet

the right thing is of course to rule based on the constitution.

There is no way the court can rule against marriage equality without invalidating Loving V. Virginia and without voiding the full faith and credit clause.