3. Most Wonderful Time
4. Rocking around the Christmas Tree
5. Jingle Bell Rock
6. Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer
7. Last Christmas
8. Santa Claus is coming to town
9. Frosty the Snowman
10. Christmas don't be late
This list mirrors exactly what my own would be. Handel's Messiah would be an addition on mine.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah. Well, be careful not to wear yourself out with all of that thinking.
ROFL!

Haven't seen very much of you lately.
How's your Whoopie Cushion factory business going?
I still got the last one you gave me.
I love it!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In the song, this is a reference to Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol---"a scary ghost story."
I've heard that stab before. Here's the problem:

There'll be parties for hosting
Marshmallows for toasting
And caroling out in the snow
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories of
Christmases long, long ago​

That's stories. Plural.

Who tells ghost stories at Christmas? No one, that's who. The doofus who wrote it needed the rhyme set up and in it went.

And, anyway, A Christmas Carol is about as much a ghost story as Exodus is a travelogue.

:mmph: Bah humbug. :eek:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's stories. Plural.

Who tells ghost stories at Christmas? No one, that's who. The doofus who wrote it needed the rhyme set up and in it went.

And, anyway, A Christmas Carol is about as much a ghost story as Exodus is a travelogue.

:think:

There'll be Brits in their lorries?

... relatives hoary?

... roadkill so gory?

:eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think:

There'll be Brits in their lorries?
Did you mean Gits?...in the South it could be "and grits, not lame porridge".

... relatives hoary?
:shocked:

... roadkill so gory?
:think: now that's called creative eatin' in parts of Mississippi.

See? Two guys couldn't come up with alternatives. And before anyone trots in the "Victorian tradition" horsefeathers, the song was penned in the 1960's. Horrible song. :mmph:

zoo22

That's stories. Plural.

No. Go look it up. Telling ghost stories on Christmas Eve was traditional.

"There is probably a smell of roasted chestnuts and other good comfortable things all the time, for we are telling Winter Stories—Ghost Stories, or more shame for us—round the Christmas fire; and we have never stirred, except to draw a little nearer to it." - Charles Dickens, A Christmas Tree

The tradition of holiday ghost stories was pretty much squelched in America. We made Christmas warm and cuddly. But even in the holiday cuddliness, you can still see how some of the traditional kids stories/shows still beckon to a fright... How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The Year Without a Santa Claus (Snow Miser & Heat Miser ). Gremlins was a Christmas movie. They're all cute seasonal ghosts/ghouls, but still, they're seasonal ghosts/ghouls. Obviously The Nightmare Before Christmas is rooted in Victorian/gothic horror.

But before we made it all so cute, Christmas ghost stories were a part of the Christmas traditions.

Winter is dark, it's cold, everything is dead. As serene and beautiful as it can be, there's a frightening aspect to winter.

If you're serious, get a grip. That it's a great piece of literature doesn't mean A Christmas Carol isn't a ghost story. Of course it is. It's one of the greatest ghost stories ever written.

Dickens' preface to A Christmas Carol:

"I HAVE endeavoured in this Ghostly little book, to raise the Ghost of an Idea, which shall not put my readers out of humour with themselves, with each other, with the season, or with me. May it haunt their houses pleasantly, and no one wish to lay it." – Their faithful Friend and Servant, C. D. December, 1843.

Have some fun. It's okay that it's a Christmas ghost story.

Last edited:

Cruciform

That's stories. Plural.
Dickens wrote more than one ghost story about Christmas. :plain:

Who tells ghost stories at Christmas? No one, that's who.
Everybody who watches any of a good number of film versions of A Christmas Carol with their family during the Holiday Season, or who reads Dickens's wonderful Christmas stories aloud, as do I and my family. Try again?

A rather odd claim about a story that features four ghosts as main characters, and describes dozens of ghosts as background individuals. :doh:

Also, see Post #55 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dickens wrote more than one ghost story about Christmas. :plain:
Well, if anyone ever questions that you're going to be armed for bear. I went even further in noting that it was a Victorian tradition. Then I noted the year that song came out here. :nono:

Not so much.

A rather odd claim about a story that features four ghosts as main characters, and describes dozens of ghosts as background individuals. :doh:
Only Marley is a ghost within the active narrative. The visitors are spirits. The ghosts mentioned else don't make it a ghost story any more than Ben Hur is a horse story. :plain:

Cruciform

Only Marley is a ghost within the active narrative. The visitors are spirits.
"Who and what are you?" Scrooge demanded.
"I am the Ghost of Christmas Past."​

You've been sufficiently answered and corrected in the previous posts above. Nice try, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

zoo22

The ghosts mentioned else don't make it a ghost story any more than Ben Hur is a horse story. :plain:

Can it be clearer than this:

Chistmas_Carol_titlepage.jpg

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Who and what are you?" Scrooge demanded.
"I am the Ghost of Christmas Past."​

You've been sufficiently answered and corrected in the previous posts above. Nice try, though.
Didn't remember that line, but you're still a couple of alleged ghosts short of:

...a story that features four ghosts as main characters, and describes dozens of ghosts as background individuals. :doh:
Which still wouldn't make it a ghost story.

But that's before we even get to the principle note that the Victorian tradition of ghost stories died out of popular culture a wee bit prior to the 1960's in America. :plain:

Horrid song. :eek: