BEL: Three Columbine Seniors 03-12-2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath
And I feel that it's incumbent on Knight, even if he is TOL's owner, to support his statements when they contradict common usage.
But they don’t. Unlawful commonly means immoral, according to dictionaries.
Even if you take unlawful to mean “against the law,” “law” is commonly used to refer to the Old Testament commandments, according to Webster’s.

murder n. 1. The crime of unlawfully killing a human being, esp. With malice aforethought...

crime n. An offense committed against the law.

unlawful adj. 1. Against the law. 2. Immoral. 3. Illegitimate.

law n. ... 3. The body of precepts that express the divine will as set forth in the Old Testament.

Webster's II New Riverside Desk Dictionary, Copyright 1988 Houghton Mufflin Company, First Longmeadow Press Edition 1995.

So Knight is within the realm of common usage when he uses murder to mean “the immoral killing of a human being” or “killing a human being in a way that is an offense committed against the will of God as set forth in the Old Testament.”

Do you now see that the current range of meanings of “unlawful” does include “immoral?” If you didn’t know before, that’s ok. Everyone makes mistakes. But if you maintain your original stance, it would be hypocritical.
Originally posted by Turbo
I wonder if you object when people speak of the legalized slaughter of Jews during the Holocaust as murder...
That illustration demonstrates the non-absolute nature of legal terms. Whether or not you agree morally with the actions in the camps (and let's be clear, I believe the killing of civilians in the camps was a terrible crime) the actions were seen as legal by the German government and illegal by their enemies. The enemies won the war, and the senior German officials were prosecuted for war crimes. If the Germans had won the war, history (written by the winning side) might describe the scenes very differently. It is not absolute. The legality was dependent on which side you see it from.
So, I’ll ask you directly: Do you object when people speak of the legalized slaughter of Jews during the Holocaust as murder?

You state that you believe it was “a terrible crime.” What is that terrible crime called? When you say crime, it is obvious by the context that you do not mean it was “an offense committed against the law” of Germany at that time. If it were Knight who had called the legalized slaughter of Jews or unborn babies a terrible crime, you could have called that “religionist newspeak” saying that something that is legal cannot be criminal.

The only difference between Knight’s statement and yours is that he identified the crime by its name.
Two points:

1. While that is quite a piece of hyperbole, I would concur with your statement since I maintain my own personal moral code. Such a pronouncement violates my individual ethical and moral code.

2. You appear to be confusing the difference between the terms "legal" and "real" or "true". There may not be any relationship between observable, empircally verifiable truth and a specific law. This kind of thinking is common with those who appeal to some allegedly absolute standard of behavior as "correct". For those people there are laws that cannot be changed. For the rest of us, all laws can be changed and we have to deal with it.
I know that there is a difference between “legal” and “real/true” but I’m trying to find out if you do. In your second point it sounds like you do, but on your first point you state that whether Jews are human is an individual’s moral choice. That’s like saying that whether a canary is an bird is an individual’s moral choice. One’s moral code is irrelevant.

Regardless of your opinions and moral beliefs, were Jews human even when in a country where the government has passed laws stating that Jews are not human?
The greatest problem with your illustration is that it is commonly used by anti-abortionists to describe the current situation in the US regarding the rights of unborn children.
Yes it is a problem for those who advocate child-killing. But it’s good that you at least recognize that the unborn are children.
I would ask you two questions, as a religionist:

a. Do your religious views (laws, rules, ordinances, whatever term you care to use) allow for intervention by whatever means necessary to save the life of an innocent?

b. Do those religious views require intervention by whatever means necessary to save the life of an innocent?
a. No.

b. No.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Turbo,

Thank you for your response. Since Knight seems to have retired from the field after his last fusillade in my direction, you are left holding the ball, as it were. Your previous post appears to have dealt with three main issues in your post: a) using definitions of words during discussions, b) legality vs. objective reality, c) your personal response to violations of Biblical "Law", I will deal with those issues in order here.

Definitions of words during discussions
It is imperative to clear communication that we are all consistent in our word usage. You took issue with my post calling Knight on his apparent obfuscation and use of newspeak. You then attempt to drag in ancient Jewish law from the Tanakh as an example of "law". First, please remember that I am an atheist and that I, along with 4/5ths of the world's population, do not automatically associate the word "legal" with ancient Jewish Law. Also be aware that there is good reason that Knight and his ilk avoid Biblical references during these discussions. If you wish to explore the inhumanity of biblical Law (according to your dictionary this commonly carries a capital "L"), we can do so, but I will warn you that a detailed discussion of Jewish history and Law will serve to weaken and possibly even invalidate your other points.

My point, which you have not refuted, is that there is, by definition, no such thing as legal murder. There are terms for such behavior which do not carry the appellative "legal": assassination and killing are two examples. These things can be either legal or illegal; you have failed to demonstrate that murder can be legal. Attempting to divert the focus to moral or ethical grounds does not change the legal status of the term "murder".

Legality vs. objective reality
There numbers of actions permitted by law in different countries in the world which you and I would probably view with similar moral repugnance. Genital mutilation of women as practiced in some African countries, mutilation for theft, execution for sexual acts outside of marriage, genocide practiced by some African regimes to name a few. While these things are "legal" within the bounds of the countries that practice them, to those outside they are generally viewed as wrong. These acts are seen as wrong because the outsiders apply a different moral and ethical code than those inside those countries.

Your example rests on the alleged declaration of Jews as non-human during the Nazi regime. While it provides a powerfully emotional argument, I would suggest that you see if you can provide any actual proof that such a law or ordinance was ever enacted by the regime. Jews were stripped of property rights and other civil rights but you know as well as I that what is practiced by "believers" and what is actually legal is sometimes widely variant. I am not supporting actions that occurred under the regime, I merely am questioning the truth of a bit of popular folklore that has crept into arguments over the decades since the tragedies in Europe have occurred.

That said, we'll proceed with your argument from a hypothetical viewpoint. You asked:
were Jews human even when in a country where the government has passed laws stating that Jews are not human?
My short answer was, and is "yes." This is based on my understanding that the state of "humanity" is not a legal status but a biological one. Based on my current understanding of biology, I hold the position that any living organism possessing the requisite chromosomes is a "human". Biological definitions are much clearer in this case than legal ones.

There are many historical examples of conflicts between "fact" and church Law. You may be aware that the Christian church, during the Middle Ages declared, as a matter of doctrine, that our solar system was not heliocentric. Religious laws did not change the observable fact that the earth revolves around the sun, not the other way round. That is the kind of thing I was indicating. As Galileo allegedly said after his "trial" by Church officials for heretical teachings, "It (the earth) still moves."

Your response to my questions about religious Law and your actions.
I asked two questions about your religious Laws specifically targeting "the innocent". I used that term to avoid parsing the questions based solely on age of the victim. For purposes of the original questions, age is irrelevant.

You replied that your religious views (without defining whether you were referring to Laws, rules, or ordinances – the definition is important to some proponents of religion) do not allow for or require intervention by whatever means necessary to save the life of an innocent.

Since you answered in the negative, it would appear that you place some other law, rule, or ordinance above the protection of innocents by whatever means are available. Let's put this in specific perspective, the target of much discussion on this thread: abortion.

Regarding abortion then, is it correct to say that you place some other law, rule, or ordinance above the protection of unborn human beings ("innocents" by most definitions) by whatever means are available. In other words due to some law, rule, or ordinance you are willing to stand by and permit abortionists kill human beings by the hundreds of thousands without intervening?

It would appear that all the redefinition that Knight and his ilk are so fond of does not change the passivity of those who claim to believe that what Knight would describe as "legal murder" is being committed in their communities on a daily basis. All this horror goes on and they stand by passively with some occasional picketing and hand wringing while the slaughter continues.

Could you please explain how such behavior fits in with your religious beliefs and just what you believe your religious beliefs require of you in such circumstances?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by knightfall
I said that the pictures of babies work for a short time BUT they dont work in the longer term and don't work when it matters (in the abortion clinic).
Those pictures prevent many girls from even going to the abortion clinics as these testimonies prove: http://www.abortionno.com/AbortionNO/web_response.html

Why are scare tactics better than the use of logic?
Both tactics should be used, not just one. But often pictures have won the day when all forms of logic have failed. For example, during the Vietnam war most of America was in favor of the war until one day the network TV stations decided to start showing pictures of war footage as well as our boys being brought home in body bags.

The rest is history. Public opinion turned against the war. The anti war crowd had been arguing and reasoning and pontificating more and more eloquently until they were blue in the face. It got them nowhere. Pictures won the day for them.

While the pictures clearly show babies in pain, they do not show the causality of the situation.
What possible situation could justify the murder of a baby?

The second thing Jefferson attacks is my ability to act morally, and he then makes a rather large presumption about other religions. He says I am unable to make moral judgements because of my atheism. This is untrue, I just have different standard of morality than him. My standard is based on logic and worldly evidence rather than spirituality and faith. If Jefferson wants to pursued me, he must tell me why his standard is the better one.
Sure. But let's not get too far off topic. I do that myself sometimes. If you'd like to start another thread on this topic, I think the best place for it would be in the General Theology folder.

Finally, I'll ask you the same question I asked rasputen:

If you saw a child in the middle of a road with a car approaching, I'm sure you would sprint as fast as you could toward that child. If I happened to be in your way would you knock me over in an attempt to save the life of that child? Yes, or no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My point, which you have not refuted, is that there is, by definition, no such thing as legal murder. There are terms for such behavior which do not carry the appellative "legal": assassination and killing are two examples. These things can be either legal or illegal; you have failed to demonstrate that murder can be legal. Attempting to divert the focus to moral or ethical grounds does not change the legal status of the term "murder".
Actually, I have refuted your point twice with published definitions that state that unlawful can mean “against the law” OR “immoral.” Given the context of the word “murder” (“unlawful killing”) appearing immediately after “legal,” it’s overwhelmingly obvious which definition Knight was using.

You accuse Knight of redefining words to suit his worldview when his definition is in the dictionary. Saying that we all ought to limit our word usage not to those definitions found in common dictionaries, but to those most compatible with your worldview is hypocrisy.

Then you violate your own standard by using the word “crime” to refer to something that was legal. Double hypocrisy. How can a crime be legal?
were Jews human even when in a country where the government has passed laws stating that Jews are not human?
My short answer was, and is "yes." This is based on my understanding that the state of "humanity" is not a legal status but a biological one...
Good. As you of all people know, Knight recognizes a moral standard beyond the laws of man’s government, that what is legal does not always define what is moral. Even someone who has not gone ten rounds debating that topic with him can easily see that. Therefore Knight’s use of “unlawful” sometimes means “immoral” instead of “illegal,” as is approved by Webster’s and other contemporary dictionaries. Remember that this page is called TheologyOnline, and not everyone participating is an atheist.
There are many historical examples of conflicts between "fact" and church Law. You may be aware that the Christian church, during the Middle Ages declared, as a matter of doctrine, that our solar system was not heliocentric. Religious laws did not change the observable fact that the earth revolves around the sun, not the other way round. That is the kind of thing I was indicating. As Galileo allegedly said after his "trial" by Church officials for heretical teachings, "It (the earth) still moves."
Yes, good example. And thank you for not confusing church law with Biblical revelation. I’m sure Galileo would appreciate that distinction as well.
Regarding abortion then, is it correct to say that you place some other law, rule, or ordinance above the protection of unborn human beings ("innocents" by most definitions) by whatever means are available. In other words due to some law, rule, or ordinance you are willing to stand by and permit abortionists kill human beings by the hundreds of thousands without intervening?
...by any means necessary, you mean? That’s what you asked the first time. My answer to that is "Yes."
It would appear that all the redefinition that Knight and his ilk are so fond of...
Webster’s is part of Knight’s ilk?
does not change the passivity of those who claim to believe that what Knight would describe as "legal murder" is being committed in their communities on a daily basis. All this horror goes on and they stand by passively with some occasional picketing and hand wringing while the slaughter continues.
So is your criticism that using graphic banners is going to far, or that it’s not going far enough? As Jefferson says, “Which one?”

Thanks for your response, Zakath. I would appreciate it if you would address this directly:
Do you object when people speak of the [/I]legalized[/I] slaughter of Jews during the Holocaust as murder? You state that you believe it was “a terrible crime.” What is that terrible crime called?
HINT: See number 2:

unlawful adjective
1. Contrary to accepted, esp. moral conventions: an unlawful love.
Syns:
illicit, lawless, wrongful.
2. CRIMINAL.
3. ILLEGAL.
4. ILLEGITIMATE.

Roget’s II Desk Thesaurus, Copyright 1992 Houghton Mufflin Company, First Longmeadow Press Edition 1995.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Zakath - You said to Turbo
My point, which you have not refuted, is that (1) there is, by definition, no such thing as legal murder. There are terms for such behavior which do not carry the appellative "legal": assassination and killing are two examples. These things can be either legal or illegal; (2) you have failed to demonstrate that murder can be legal. Attempting to divert the focus to moral or ethical grounds does not change the legal status of the term "murder".
(1) No, there is, by just your one single and willfully ignorant definition, no such thing as legal murder. When you consider the various definitions that HAVE been presented to you, and that laws have been passed to legalize the shedding of innocent blood (murder), then your comment falls flat into nothingness by simply opening one’s eyes to the truth of the matter, “by definition” and “by demonstrated moral argument”.

(2) We have only consistently been demonstrating to you how it has according to slightly different understandings of what is or is not lawful and criminal. Right, murder is by definition, unlawful (or immoral) killing, it is ALWAYS wrong to murder, thus it is ALWAYS criminal to support or legislate the right to murder, yet in the case of abortion and the holocaust, such things were legally sanctioned. That didn’t make murder any less criminal; it just demonstrates that some governments* can be exceedingly wicked.

* (and hypocritical thinkers like yourself for supporting legalized abortion and the holocaust for the sake of pretending that there is only one convenient definition of what is a legal right or what is criminal, etc.)

Still the open hypocrite
Secondly, your point demonstrates your continued willful ignorance or hypocrisy in that you disregard the different implications of what is or is not legal, and what is or is not unlawful.

Selective ignorance
Your argument rests on only one definition, evidently that the law of the land rules. After hearing so much explanation for Knights use as being in accordance with dictionary definitions as well as absolute morality, your argument demonstrates a serious breach of understanding and wisdom.

Perfect hypocrisy (Hey, if you are going to do something, be really good at it!)
You are attempting to divert the focus from all other definitions of lawful and unlawful and criminal etc. to only the ones you wish to subjectively consider, and you have failed to demonstrate that murder is not ALWAYS criminal and absolutely wrong.

If you believe that it is not ALWAYS criminal to murder, then you have no reasonable foundation to say anything about morality. On the most important issues like the right to life for example, you demonstrate that you are incapable of understanding the most basic elements of right and wrong. You profane God and righteousness in the marketplace of ideas for the sake of defending the murder of innocent life in the case of abortion, and apparently in the case of the Holocaust as well. I could never take you seriously simply on the basis that you purposefully neglect the very definitions that you claim we should not neglect, making you a perfect hypocrite worthy of no respect. Or do you hold that perfect hypocrisy is a respectful thing?

So by your argumentation to date, no Jews were murdered in the Holocaust, and no unborn babies have been murdered by abortion, and Sadam never murdered anyone since his is the government, and same with every other political tyrant who murdered the masses, for you, none of THEM were ever murdered. You are such a hypocrite. Imagine for just one second that it was your government that was about to murder you, wow, all of a sudden your tone would change immediately wouldn’t it, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs every pointed argument we have been making that it is ALWAYS wrong to murder, even if the government has sanctioned doing it.

I’d be glad you did, but I would be just as ashamed of you now for this gross hypocrisy, and I would hope that you would humbly and joyfully learn to outgrow such wildly atrocious notions as supporting the right to murder IF it has become legally sanctioned by some (immoral!) government.

If you’re an American, you spit on the ground of hundreds of thousands of lives of brave and caring men “who gave their life” to ensure the freedom of speech and freedom from harm and pursuit of life for everyone, including you. So far as I can tell, your moral compass is really a willfully ignorant and immorality hypocrisy pit.

NOTICE: Post has been edited, please observe accordingly.

Last edited:

1Way

Zakath – As to
Your example rests on the alleged declaration of Jews as non-human during the Nazi regime. While it provides a powerfully emotional argument, I would suggest that you see if you can provide any actual proof that such a law or ordinance was ever enacted by the regime. Jews were stripped of property rights and other civil rights but you know as well as I that what is practiced by "believers" and what is actually legal is sometimes widely variant. I am not supporting actions that occurred under the regime, I merely am questioning the truth of a bit of popular folklore that has crept into arguments over the decades since the tragedies in Europe have occurred.
FOLKLORE? The holocaust is not folklore. The historical fact of the holocaust (that millions of Jews and other “less than human” humans were slaughtered) demonstrates unambiguously that the law of the land sanctioned the holocaust! How blind can you be? If, as you illogically are trying to argue that somehow it was illegal in Nazi Germany for the holocaust to happen, then explain why did the governing officials command it to happen, and why did it’s military and concentration camp officials execute these commands with legal sanction backed by the approval and commands of the government?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Of course the Nazi’s legally sanctioned the holocaust, they committed it.

You are terribly blind and a real shame, and for what cause? Apparently it’s because you have backed yourself into a bad argument and are forced to defend an absolutely immoral position, because evidently, you are simply too selfishly prideful to admit that you are wrong. (the ultimate sin that king Zakath would apparently never sanction.) REPENT and become righteous, even if it means admitting that previously, you were wrong.

Proverbs 9:8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; Rebuke a wise [man], and he will love you.

Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke [is] better Than love carefully concealed.

Proverbs 17:10 Rebuke is more effective for a wise [man] Than a hundred blows on a fool.

Justice concerns absolutely right and wrong

Malachi 2:17 You have wearied the LORD with your words; Yet you say, "In what way have we wearied [Him]?" In that you say, "Everyone who does evil [Is] good in the sight of the LORD, And He delights in them," Or, "Where [is] the God of justice?"

Amos 5:15 Hate evil, love good; Establish justice in the gate. It may be that the LORD God of hosts Will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.

Romans 12:9 [Let] love [be] without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

Last edited:

Flipper

Jefferson:

So you're in favor of frank disclosure of photographs from war also, right? So long as they don't have a direct impact on war operations, you'd be in favor of more realistic reportage?

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flipper
Jefferson:

So you're in favor of frank disclosure of photographs from war also, right? So long as they don't have a direct impact on war operations, you'd be in favor of more realistic reportage?
Yes.

1Way

The truth sets us free, ignorance is not bliss.
I see two different issues that may become involved here. One is the redemptive value of showing the horrible crimes that So.dam Insane has done, as well as our “intent” on destroying him and his power structure while not harming innocent civilians at the same time.

Some ideas require a certain amount of discretion.
But secondly, that message should be accompanied with the pro life message which is against unjust violence. I’m thinking of two main groups at the moment. The first is the very young and innocent. The second is the morally ignorant world that does not know the difference between murder and righteous killing/execution. To these two groups, graphic violence may be a problem instead of a benefit especially IF the morality is not clearly defined along with the graphic messages.

The morality involved needs to be convey and hopefully understood.
In a world of “death mentality”, many foolish people see all killing and violence and righteous execution in the same ugly grotesque desensitized light, they need to the accompanying message that violence and killing is only right in execution against guilty evil people.

In short, we should not become overly graphic with the very young because of the danger of promoting desensitization of death, and the older but ignorant group needs to understand the moral differences involved.

My personal chat.
I recently chatted with a guy a work that did not know if his life was worth a life in the case of someone murdering him. I asked if he was murdered, would the murderer deserve say three years in jail, or perhaps being executed. Same question about his grandchild or wife, and the guy could not decide if a life is worth a life or not, but he finally did admit that three years was just not harsh enough, what an eye opener! The average person doesn’t even know that a life is worth a life! And that was his position AFTER agreeing that the severity of the punishment should match the severity of the crime.

That being said, I support graphically accurate recordings of warfare as a good thing. I’d say that other terrorists would be very attentive about what happens in Iraq as they ponder if justice might pursue them for their crimes.

Overacting?
You know what cracks me up about the video of the supposed civilian casualties? I saw just such a clip very recently. They showed a lovely woman who is bloody and bedridden but her wounds was not the focus, it was her facial expression of fear and pity, yet we couldn’t see any evident physical damage to her. It’s as though real bloody physical destruction wouldn’t be gruesome enough to convey the message more effectively, so they made sure we got the implication of terror from the poor innocently terrorized woman. It’s this theatrical emphasis used as the emotional hook in an area that naturally would not need any assistance IF the destruction implied was real. I think it strongly hints at faking or at least overreacting the truth of the matter.

So pictures can have good and bad effects, but the truth of a matter is best understood, instead of just ignoring it.

Flipper

Jefferson:

You are consistent, which I admire.

Would you still support this, even if it were turning people's opinion against a war? Even if the truth of war made it more difficult for war to be prosecuted?

I was listening to an interview with a peace protestor who was from some veteran's organization. He was arguing against the media portrayal of a sanitized "clean" war, and said that more people would be anti-war if they knew what it was really like.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Lies, lies and more lies from 1Way...

...the holocaust is not folklore.
Lie number one. Where did I say the holocaust was folklore?

...How blind can you be? If, as you illogically are trying to argue that somehow it was illegal in Nazi Germany for the holocaust to happen, then explain why did the governing officials command it to happen, and why did it’s military and concentration camp officials execute these commands with legal sanction backed by the approval and commands of the government?
I'm certainly not blind. The slaughter of the Jews, gypsies, Christians, mentally ill, and others was legally sanctioned by the laws in the laws of the government undre which the events took place. I never said otherwise. I also stated that I believed the actions were morally wrong.

You are terribly blind and a real shame, and for what cause?
You religionists are so blinded by your hatred of the non-believers that it appears you have difficulty in reading simple posts.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Turbo
Actually, I have refuted your point twice with published definitions that state that unlawful can mean “against the law” OR “immoral.” Given the context of the word “murder” (“unlawful killing”) appearing immediately after “legal,” it’s overwhelmingly obvious which definition Knight was using.
But since he refused to present an alternate definition, leaving you to argue for him, his argument from silence is quite weak.

You accuse Knight of redefining words to suit his worldview when his definition is in the dictionary.
Yes, buried three defintions deep. You yourself agree that Knight switches definitions as it suits his purpose (see your words below).

You remind me of a fellow we used to have in our home school support group who was intent on "perserving the language" by insisting on using only the 1928 Webster's dictionary since he didn't like the way the language had changed (and it fit better with his KJV Bible...)

Saying that we all ought to limit our word usage not to those definitions found in common dictionaries, but to those most compatible with your worldview is hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy is the practice of professing beliefs that one does not hold. You appear to be confusing hypocrisy, with preference.

When you violate your own standard by using the word “crime” to refer to something that was legal. Double hypocrisy. How can a crime be legal?
Because what is a "crime" and what is "legal" frequently vary from country to country. What is a crime in one country may not be so in another. Your belief in absolute right and wrong is not universal. Anyone reading a newspaper in the last year should see that...

Let me clue you in on something which you will find incredible, Turbo...

Abortion is legal in the United States. Whether Knight, or you, or your deity agrees.

Now whether that makes it right to do is another debate...

Therefore Knight’s use of “unlawful” sometimes means “immoral” instead of “illegal,”...
Thank you for concurring with my point. Knight changes the meaning of words when it suits him.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flipper
Would you still support this, even if it were turning people's opinion against a war? Even if the truth of war made it more difficult for war to be prosecuted?
Yes. There is no such thing as too much knowledge.

I was listening to an interview with a peace protestor who was from some veteran's organization. He was arguing against the media portrayal of a sanitized "clean" war, and said that more people would be anti-war if they knew what it was really like.
I disagree with him if we are in a just war. For example, the videos of the dead Americans that we see in this current war only make me want our government to get Saddam more, not less.

1Way

Zakath – 1of2 - As to
Lie number one. Where did I say the holocaust was folklore?
By your own contextually void thinking turned against your own self, where did I say that you said that the holocaust was folklore? I did not say that, sure my statement held that general implication, but your statement was left quite general too, so if we are to take your line of reasoning seriously, your lying because I did not say you said the holocaust was folklore. As for me, I just assume you’re just upset and confused.

I’m happy to find out I was wrong in my assumption that you thought that the Holocaust was “somehow” folklore.

Hmmmmm, apparently your comment about the Holocaust and folklore is that the Nazis legally sanctioned the treatment of the Jews as though they were subhuman. (???) Is that right???

Now if that is not what you meant, then for crying out loud, say what you mean. And if that is what you meant, then I was right for jumping your case about doubting the notion of the Jews being legally treated as though they were not humans. Get a contextually relevant grip.

As to
You religionists are so blinded by your hatred of the non-believers that it appears you have difficulty in reading simple posts.
Close but no cigar. It’s, we righteous are consistent in absolutely despising support for wickedness.

I see you finally made a clear statement on one of the two examples given against you (abortion and the holocaust). You said.
Let me clue you in on something which you will find incredible, Turbo...

Abortion is legal in the United States. Whether Knight, or you, or your deity agrees.

Now whether that makes it right to do is another debate...
When folks like us, who know that absolute right and wrong exist, say that abortion, in this country or any other, is a crime against humanity and God, it’s because it is absolutely a criminal capitol offense. It’s not just as you put it, an issue of right and wrong, because everyone does good and bad every day, so what? It’s an issue of justice and capitol offense, a matter that people should be put to death over.

continued next post...

Last edited:

1Way

Zakath – 2of2 - As to the following perversion.
Thank you for concurring with my point. Knight changes the meaning of words when it suits him.
Wrong, Knight, and those who understand that words are only one subordinate aspect of the wider context of what it means to communicate.

Let me clue you in on something which you will find incredible, Zakath...

After words, comes phrases and simple expressions, after those comes sentence fragments and after those comes sentences, and after those comes paragraphs or passages, and after that comes more of the same in which the entire contextual message is gradually built upon all these communicated elements, and with each progressive step along that line of ever widening contextual build up, we become closer and closer to what the expressed communicated truth. And so a good way to can rip someone’s contextually unified message, is to do exactly what you have been doing, pretend like the wider context does not supercede the narrower elements, and focus on some irrelevant minutia in some twisted fashion, as though the wider contextual use of a word or phrase is not somehow more meaningful than a dictionary definition.

You’ll have to forgive folks like Knight, you see, he expects that the people should be able to understand the various common uses of a word in different common contexts, and to not become willfully ignorant about the greater importance that the wider context plays in understanding the use of any word or phrase.

“Yes, buried three definitions deep...” As though the dictionary trumps it’s contextual use.

So if your use of the word “buried” is underneath other definitions like placing a dead person in a permanent tomb which is typically underground, then you are somehow violating your self created and subject law that dictates that you should not use lower numbered definitions of words, or else, if you do, then you will be judged as being intellectually inconsistent or dishonest.
(i.e.
- “Yes, buried three defintions deep. You yourself agree that Knight switches definitions as it suits his purpose (see your words below).

and

- “Knight changes the meaning of words when it suits him.)

So, is holding onto subjective relativism really worth all this contrary hassle which is forcing you to make the worst kinds of arguments because you have no decent ones? Do you really believe that murder and violent rape are not absolutely at the highest order of criminal activity, even if a wicked government legislated that such things are ok?

Orion

BANNED
Banned
general ruminations

general ruminations

Just jumping in:

Pictures being Opinions: The point is that if one wishes to
prevent
abortion one will show a sign of an aborted fetus. If one
wishes to promote
abortion one will show a picture of a child having been beaten
to death by a
woman who decided not to have an abortion. A pro-lifer will
not show a
picture of the latter, while a pro-choicer will not show a
picture of the
former. The picture simply represents the opinion of the
activist.

About the concept of being able to chose whether or not to look
at the
pictures?
Any who believe that it is as easy as that do something for me.
Hold your
hand between your face and your computer screen and attempt to
read this
post. Hand gets in the way, doesn't it.

General statement for zakath, knight, etc. Is it even possible
for Rasputen
or anyone else to make logical points that you will accept? Or
are you so
blindly rooted in your opinions that when your security is
attacked you dig a
hole of self-righteousness and jump right it? kind of
childish. Rasputen
has accepted your points and refuted them through logical
arguments, and you
resort to a rebuttal of "nuh-uh"

Hypothetical 'i run you over while saving the child' scenario-
you help
rasputens point jefferson. Few would argue (although im sure
some would)
that saving this child is moral. But it would be IMMORAL if he
ran you over
while chasing and assaulting that child. CIRCUMSTANCES!

General statement, but Jefferson in particular caught my eye: I
am getting a
bit confused by you. Are you indeed God? If indeed you are, I
apologize for
not recognizing you. Otherwise, I would ask that you begin
refuting
arguments presented to you, not simply claiming absolute moral
superiority.
Unless you are God, in which case, please, carry-on.

Columbine students are murderers, kill their babies, are
terrible human
beings and must be exposed to the truth...blahblahblah - very
dramatic; full
of histrionics. I'm quivering. Get real...Columbine students
are no
different than any other group of students at any high school.
It is not
located on a Hellmouth, nor does the community breed murderers.
If you feel
that all the students at that school must see the photos based
on the
opinions of the activists, you need to have your heads
examined. Your cause
is hopeless. Might as well attack the entire world if you feel
it is
necessary to attack columbine. What a waste of time.

Final thought. The purpose of these protesters was to save the
lives of the
babies in danger of being killed. Fine, being pro-life myself,
I agree. But
they are not helping. The students were indeed emotionally
affected. With
hatred. Not remorse. These students hated not the concept of
aboution, but
the absolute gall of the people holding the signs. The
students did not
question their own beliefs, but questioned the beliefs of those
who imposed
themselves upon their day. Did the activists intend to
alienate the students
toward hatred, not for abortion itself, but for the pro-life
cause. Fine,
claim the absolute moral superiority once again. FORCE these
photos upon the
students and in turn turn the students against the cause. But
while you play
God, babies are being killed, while none have been saved.

Knightfall. Good point. I implore all of you to, with logic,
present your
beliefs. But attack the meanings behind the words. Do not
cut, paste, and
misrepresent the words in your own order for the benefit your
own arguement.

1 of 6

Include original text in reply.

rasputen

Jefferson said:
So would you knock me over in an attempt to save the life of that child or not? Yes, or no? What is your answer?

I really have to spell everything for you, don't I? I said that I don't have the RIGHT to harm you, but I could justify my lack of prudence in that situation. Proper courses of action always depend upon circumstances. While I do not enjoy harming others (i.e. I would not derive pleasure from bowling over you), it would be well worth saving the little girl's life. Benefits outweigh the harms. In that one specific instance, I would knock you over. Again, you fail to establish any efficacy in your query, and fail to address a myriad of points I've made earlier. Please make a point, and quickly.

rasputen

Before I forget, I'd like to applaud Orion's use of logic in his response. I'd also like to tell him not to attack Zakath, who in my mind has been rather logically sound throughout. Just my two cents, though... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.