Being Rich Is A Sin

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Not excuses at all. I simply see that you have in mind that being rich itself is a sin when scripture clearly does not teach that. I freely admit that being rich is a serious snare, but it is not (itself) sinful.

Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

Proverbs 30:7-9

Being rich was not the rich man's sin here. Being rich and not giving to those in need around him was. If merely being wealthy were the reason this man was being tormented, it would not only not make sense (why is being wealthy worthy of torment) but it would put men like Job and Abraham himself in torments! Both men were very wealthy. It isn't how much you have that is the problem, it's what you do with what you have (and the heart that drives it). Matthew 25 is almost entirely about that one thing. I won't post it here because it's too long, but look at the parable in vv14-29 (or so). It describes a man giving various amounts of money to 3 servants. The ones who were commended used that money wisely. The one who was not commended simply buried what he had. He didn't do anything with it. The lord of the servants was looking for them to return a profit for him. And so as we recognize that this represents more than money, we also recognize it means profit is relative to the Kingdom and its principles. Just giving money away because you have too much does (in and of itself) nothing for or against the Kingdom. It doesn't benefit you and it doesn't necessarily advance the purposes of the Lord's work. Burying the talent didn't benefit the servant or the master. The Lord is not looking for poverty, He's looking for faithfulness. How you use what you have. Is it any surprise, then, that this follows that parable :

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:34-40

Many of these things that they did involve things...money...wealth.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew 25:41-46

The rich man "fared sumptuously" - he indulged himself and let the beggar live as he was. He saw the beggar every day and still didn't feed him or clothe him as he could easily have afforded to do. These who are condemned at the end of Matthew 25 are not condemned because they were wealthy, but because they didn't use what they have wisely. I don't believe this is teaching works salvation - but rather that those who trust God will show the fruit of that and not trust in uncertain riches. However, those who do trust God AND have wealth will use it wisely - to His glory.

With that said, you still haven't answered my question. If it is a sin to be wealthy, how do you know if you are wealthy or not? Where is the dividing line between rich and not rich? You can't call something a sin and then not define it properly.

I said
I defined it in the stories in the bible. Rich is wealthy, wealthy is when anyone has an abundance over others.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I'm not disputing one of the revelations of Jesus Christ. I'm disputing one of the revelations of Squeaky. I repeat that NOWHERE does Jesus ever say that being rich itself is a sin. You are trying to make Him say that - I understand that - but scripture is unified on the matter (Old and New Testaments).

You haven't answered my question yet - what is the dividing line between "rich" and "not rich"?

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Isaiah 8:20

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
John 5:39

Being justified with the Old Testament isn't wrong - rather misusing it is wrong. And the Law is not the entire OT - rather, it is referring to being justified by works dealt with in the Commandments ("Thou shalt not..."). Jesus Himself used the OT to do many things (including show how that He had to suffer, die and be resurrected - see Luke 24:27). Philip reasoned with the Ethiopian Eunuch out of Isaiah. Was he trying to justify himself by the Old Testament? They are using the OT properly - to show truth. The OT is just as much God's Word as the NT. But if one is trying to be justified by the Law, he should already realize the folly of that.

The OT never condemns wealth itself but Solomon did warn many times about the dangers of it.

Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.
Proverbs 11:4

He that trusteth in his riches shall fall; but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.
Proverbs 11:28

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the maker of them all.

Proverbs 22:1-2

And AGAIN...Jesus promised riches to those who left all for Him. Riches both in this life and the next (Mark 10:30, Luke 18:30 etc...). Did Jesus speak against Himself?

I am not talking about circumcision. I am not talking in any way about being justified by the Law. I have uttered no commandment of the Law in respect to wealth. I am merely saying wealth is not inherently sinful. It carries with it many temptations and snares - this is certain (I Timothy 6:9) - but being wealthy ITSELF is not sinful. If a man is blessed of the Lord in material things, he should use those things to glorify the Lord - not get rid of them.

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

I John 3:16-17

We all do have to give account with how we used what we were given. But it's the one who does not give when the opportunity presents itself that will be judged more harshly. And you can't give if you don't have. It isn't wrong to give away everything - but to condemn those that are rich is to bind their consciences with something God doesn't. Freely have you received. Freely give. If a man does so with his worldly possessions and is still rich, is that sinful?

I am asking again - how do you define "rich" and "not rich"? If it is a sin to be rich, then you have implied a commandment ("Thou shalt not be rich"). How do you determine who is rich? Where's the dividing line? If I'm not rich, am I exempt from giving to others?

I said
Oh yes it does say rich is a sin.The Word is the book of faith. And what ever is not done in that Word is sin. And the rich man couldnt sell all he had and give to the poor.Him not obeying Jesus is a sin.

[Rom 10:8
[8] But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
[Rom 14:23
[23] But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because [he does] not [eat] from faith; for whatever [is] not from faith is sin.
[Mar 10:20–22
[20] And he answered and said to Him, "Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth."
[21] Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me."
[22] But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

nikolai_42

I said
I defined it in the stories in the bible. Rich is wealthy, wealthy is when anyone has an abundance over others.

Well...that right there causes problems with I John 3 :

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

John had the perfect opportunity to say that whoever has this world's goods is flat out sinning. Instead, he made the clear point that he failed to give what he had to someone who was in need. There were two conditions to this :

1. Has this world's good (i.e. rich in your definition)
2. Sees a brother in need

You stop at #1 and say whoever meets that condition is sinning. But John says there is another part of that to be met.

So nowhere has scripture said what you want it to say. If you had simply said those who go after riches are sinning - that would have been an entirely different story. That involves the heart. But you have simply said that anyone who has abundance is sinning!

nikolai_42

I said
Oh yes it does say rich is a sin.The Word is the book of faith. And what ever is not done in that Word is sin. And the rich man couldnt sell all he had and give to the poor.Him not obeying Jesus is a sin.

[Rom 10:8
[8] But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
[Rom 14:23
[23] But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because [he does] not [eat] from faith; for whatever [is] not from faith is sin.
[Mar 10:20–22
[20] And he answered and said to Him, "Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth."
[21] Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me."
[22] But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

If he wasn't attached to his things - to his riches - he would have been able to to that. But Jesus knew the man's heart.

But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 2:24-25

He tells the idolator to forsake his idols. He tells the covetous to forsake the object of his desire. He tells those who are serving any other than God to forsake whatever it is they are serving. And if they are not serving money, He may not ask them to sell all they have and give it all away. To make this a universal statement is to court Marxism and to bind the consciences of men with requirements that the Lord didn't explicitly demand of every single person.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Well...that right there causes problems with I John 3 :

John had the perfect opportunity to say that whoever has this world's goods is flat out sinning. Instead, he made the clear point that he failed to give what he had to someone who was in need. There were two conditions to this :

1. Has this world's good (i.e. rich in your definition)
2. Sees a brother in need

You stop at #1 and say whoever meets that condition is sinning. But John says there is another part of that to be met.

So nowhere has scripture said what you want it to say. If you had simply said those who go after riches are sinning - that would have been an entirely different story. That involves the heart. But you have simply said that anyone who has abundance is sinning!

I said
Lets use your verse.Seeth his brother has need. There are millions of kids in this country that dont know where their next meal is coming from. That was on the news. There are millions homeless in this country. How blind does someone have to be to escape the whole world is in need.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 Timothy 6:6-11 New International Version (NIV)
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Final Charge to Timothy
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
1 Timothy 6:6-11 New International Version (NIV)
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Final Charge to Timothy
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

I said
Very good.

nikolai_42

I said
Lets use your verse.Seeth his brother has need. There are millions of kids in this country that dont know where their next meal is coming from. That was on the news. There are millions homeless in this country. How blind does someone have to be to escape the whole world is in need.

I am texting so it is a short response. But John says “brethren”. Jesus in Matthew 25 says “brethren”. He says the poor you will always have with you and commends the “waste” that is spent on anointing his feet. It was a year’s wages that could have fed the poor. But Jesusspeaks of loving the brethren. The apostles have the early church providing for one another. Someone who offers a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple is rewarded. Providing for the brethren is in view. Not feeding the world

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I said
I've given everything away twice.

I say, I say, boy

Why was it twice necessary?

Did you steal it all back after the first time you gave it away, and then re-give it away?

If you want to stop being the hypocrite that you, clearly, are, then you will never buy anything, whatsoever, ever again. Nor will you ever again acquire anything by any other means, either.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I am texting so it is a short response. But John says “brethren”. Jesus in Matthew 25 says “brethren”. He says the poor you will always have with you and commends the “waste” that is spent on anointing his feet. It was a year’s wages that could have fed the poor. But Jesusspeaks of loving the brethren. The apostles have the early church providing for one another. Someone who offers a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple is rewarded. Providing for the brethren is in view. Not feeding the world

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I said
It says God chose the poor to be heirs of the kingdom.Not the rich.

[Jas 2:5
[5] Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I say, I say, boy

Why was it twice necessary?

Did you steal it all back after the first time you gave it away, and then re-give it away?

If you want to stop being the hypocrite that you, clearly, are, then you will never buy anything, whatsoever, ever again. Nor will you ever again acquire anything by any other means, either.

I said
Where do you people come up with that kind of logic. I dont buy much. God gave me a house, He gave me a truck, He gave me a boat, He gave me guns to hunt with. Should I say no to God when He gives me a gift.

[Jas 1:16–18
[16] Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.
[17] Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
[18] Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
WANTING
I Jn 2:15
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
James 1:4
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
James 1:2-3
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
Heb 13:5
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
Phil 4:11
11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
1 Tim 6:7-8
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
I Jn 2:16-17
16 For all that is in the world-- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-- is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Eph 2:1-3
1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
Matt 20:26-28
26 "Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
27 "And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave--
28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
Matt 20:25-27
25 But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them.
26 "Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
27 "And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave--
Luke 9:23
23 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
Gal 5:24
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Matt 6:31-34
31 "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'
32 "For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matt 12:34-37
34 "Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
35 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
Phil 4:19
19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
(NKJ)
xxxxWanting comes from the flesh(feelings & Emotions)(unclean spirits). They are strong feelings that drive us, whether through science, or self. Contentment is all about waiting until the Lord provides for us.
James 1:4
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
James 4:1-3
1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members?
2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
Rom 8:23-25
23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.
24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?
25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
(NKJ)
XXX Hope and want are alot alike. If you can see it on earth you want it. If you cant see it you hope for it. Want comes from the flesh(outer person), and hope comes from the inner man.
Everything starts with a desire, then comes wanting, then comes coveting, or lust. Sin starts right after desire. Many people are condemning themselves in their wants. Wants are not in Gods Will for you.There is only one of two things one can do with a want. Either fulfill it, or crucify the want. And be content with what God gives you.

[Rom 13:13–14
[13] Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy.
[14] But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to [fulfill its] lusts.

1 Cor 4:7
7 For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?
(NKJ)

2 Cor 1:12-13
12 For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.
13 For we are not writing any other things to you than what you read or understand. Now I trust you will understand, even to the end
(NKJ)

Ps 23:1

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
(NKJ)

Heb 4:1-11

1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works";
5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest."
6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts."
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.
10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
(NKJ)

2 Pet 2:12-22
12 But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption,
13 and will receive the wages of unrighteousness, as those who count it pleasure to carouse in the daytime. They are spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you,
14 having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, beguiling unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children.
15 They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
16 but he was rebuked for his iniquity: a dumb donkey speaking with a man's voice restrained the madness of the prophet.
17 These are wells without water, clouds carried by a tempest, for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error.
19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage.
20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.
21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.
22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A dog returns to his own vomit," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."
(NKJ)

Go To Content, Lust, coveting, flesh, emotions