Battle Talk ~ BR XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
GuySmiley said:
I'm anxiously awaiting how theo will explain why the DP is wrong because of repentence and forgiveness, but why all punishment is not wrong for the same reason. Great round by Turbo.
That's exactly what I am saying as well.

The heart of Theo's argument is that the death penalty is wrong because God wants us to forgive. Yet Theo also maintains that we should punish criminals via other means - where's the forgiveness in that?

Now that Turbo has ripped the heart out of Theo's argument what does Theo have left?

Note to all future debaters.... never build your entire argument on a premise than can be dismantled in one sentence.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Wow... Turbo's reply was awsome! He not only pointed out where Christians should stand on the death penalty, but he shot down the "judge not" and "forgive all" clichés :BRAVO:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
quite a few formatting errors in turbos post .. has he seen the 'preview' button?

if he could format properly id say this tournament is over because 'bad formatting' is the only possible argument i see theo having left ...

dang .. i shouldnt really be the one judging on formatting should i. ..?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This may be a bit off topic but Theo's Karla Faye Tucker story does a tremendous job of describing how going to college, even a "Republican college" ( I can only assume that was supposed to mean conservative), can turn your brain to mush!

hitek357

stipe said:
quite a few formatting errors in turbos post .. has he seen the 'preview' button?

if he could format properly id say this tournament is over because 'bad formatting' is the only possible argument i see theo having left ...

dang .. i shouldnt really be the one judging on formatting should i. ..?
Stipe, you shouldn't judge at all. Didn't you know that? :chuckle:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
stipe said:
If you only knew!

Having typed up a bunch of fragmented responses to theo's questions, as well as other bits from his posts that I wanted to respond to, I spent several hours last night just trying to piece it all together in a coherent way.

By then it was about two hours until the post was due (and very late at night here on the east coast), and I spent all of that trying to format it properly. I must have used the preview button two dozen times. I don't doubt that I missed some formatting errors, but it takes forever to format a post that long.

I hadn't looked at it again since I posted it. Is it really that bad? At a glance now I see two tag errors. (I just ran a "find" for an angle bracket and they popped right up. I wish I had thought of that last night.) Is there more?

hitek357

GuySmiley said:
I'm anxiously awaiting how theo will explain why the DP is wrong because of repentence and forgiveness, but why all punishment is not wrong for the same reason. Great round by Turbo.
Well.......I suppose you could argue that imprisonment is kinda like forgiveness in this way: Someone murders your whole family, and now, rather than getting what he deserves, YOU pay HIM your hard-earned dollars to keep him cool in the summer and warm in the winter, buy him a weight set, a lounge with a ping pong table and a TV that's better than yours, ....

Sounds like forgiveness to ME.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i think you missed colourising and numbering a question in there somewhere (number 12?) and ..something else ...

my memory is fading on the formatting thing .. all i can remember is a brilliant post.

well done

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
stipe said:
my memory is fading on the formatting thing .. all i can remember is a brilliant post.

well done
Now that's more like it!

Thanks. :eek:

Chileice

Theo,
I believe that Hebrews 8.13 will be a key to your argument. I, too, was once a DP supporter, but I was also stupid enough to have supported abortion. But when the Lord got ahold of me, he made me "pro-life" in every sense... including not taking the lives of criminals because, as you said, Jesus took the death penalty for us.

inchristed

Great job Turbo. And thanks to everyone that make debates like this possible.

"The "Puzzling" Story of Karla Faye Tucker is Easily Solved"

Not only is the Karla Faye Tucker puzzle solved, Theo's whole debate is destroyed. Touche'-- with Luke 23.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
I find it appalling how many of you changed your avatars to some symbolization of the DP. Shouldn’t it break your heart to see someone die?
I saw this quote when theo first posted it but I forgot where I read it and ran across it agin this AM.

It does, in fact, break my heart, when someone becomes wicked enough to molest a child, murder, rape! It breaks my heart even more when they get out of prison and do it again!
It breaks my heart that because the death penalty is not properly applied (swiftly and painfully) that the law does not deter people from becoming murderers, rapists and child molesters in the first place. It breaks my heart that Christians don't see the wisdom of Psa 58:10! "The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked".

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
How in the world is theo going to keep this thing going for five rounds?

Turbo's round 2 post doesn't exhast the issue entirely but it comes pretty darn close!

Something tells me that this debate is fixing to get repetative but it will be fun to see how theo answers Turbo's questions.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
perhaps he will concede ... ? i mean .. perhaps he has a few points that he could provide revelation if he up and changed his mind after round two ...

itd probably be more productive than 5 rounds of repetition...

theo_victis

I just posted my response. I forgot to include my sources cited. Because I was typing that in a seperate word document. I will post them in the next round and I will state which quote came from where in places where I neglected to post it. Sorry about that guys!

Primghar

BANNED
Banned
Dread Helm said:
This must be what you're talking about. My good buddy Wamba answered your questions to my satisfaction (to whom you didn't reply), but I can take another shot at them.

No, we need to use biblical methods such as restitution.

Because we shouldn't just "forgive and forget" any punishments.
Criminals have to pay the consequences of their crimes: Christian or no Christian.
No. Every one should have the chance to be saved. Did the murderer's victim get that chance? Yes, but it was certainly cut short. The murderer needs to pay the God ordained consequences of his crime. He will have the chance to convert...right before he gets a short drop and a sudden stop.
You're right. Christ did teach to forgive. But Jesus was talking about individual relationships, not government policy toward criminals. Besides, you can only forgive someone to the extent they have hurt you.

1. This is again talking about individuals, not Government policy. If someone sins against you (ie. lies) and then repents and asks for forgiveness, certainly forgive him. But if a man rapes a woman (a crime), and he is later caught and then repents and asks for forgiveness, the woman can forgive him but he has in no way voidated his punishment.
  2. Jesus was preaching from under the Law: i.e. "If you don't forgive, you won't be forgiven." We are under Grace, therefore Paul's teaching: "Forgive others, because God has forgiven you" is much more applicable to us dealing with other individuals.
Now that I've answered all of your questions, please begin to answer my new line of questioning: Do you agree that God authorized Governments to punish criminals?

Yes.

sentientsynth

I just want to say one thing:

Israel was given the perfect Law, but She became more wicked than any of her surrounding Gentile countries. Having good laws is not a deterrent. People will still be just as wicked, if not more wicked, and will continue as ever in their depraved acts, just as in the case of Israel.

In this dispensation, Saints are to have no place judging those who are outside of the Church (1Cor.5:12), only those who are within.

But as to whether or not those who commit capital crimes should be given capital punishment, I say, make it painful, shameful, and swift. A sweet little "cocktail" in the forearm is far too sweet.

In the jungles of South America are gargantuan-sized ant beds. Throw in the child rapists and televise it for all the future child rapists to see. That's justice.

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.