Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightSon

Originally posted by bmyers
(Just checking the logic from BOTH sides! :))

Your even-handed appraisal of both sides has not gone unnoticed - we need more just like you! Rob (heusdens) is a bright guy, but he tries to slip stuff past us from time to time.

Who of us is not ideologially driven to make our case?

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by heusdens
Theists have absolutely a talent for misrepresenting reality, and for using pseudo-logic.

Let us investigate the argument.

So the argument is:

1. All things have a cause
2. The universe represents all things
3. The universe must therefore have a cause

Let us investigate this logic in another example.

1. All members of a football team have parents
2. The football team represents all members of the team
3. Therefore the football team must have a parent

As we can see, argument 3 does not follow from argument 1 and 2. The logic is therefore flawed.

That wasn't my argument or even remotely reminiscent of my argument. Your counter examples utterly fail to correlate to my argument because it's possible for the universe to have a cause, but it not possible for an entire football to team to have a singular "parent". Human reproduction requires two parents, and even an entire football team could not have the same pair of parents. (Unless they're Mormon?) So your pseudo-examples completely fail to disprove the logic of my argument in even the slightest. And in fact, since point 3 of your pseudo-argument is a logical/physical impossibility, it does not compare to my argument whatsoever since point 3 of my argument was perfectly logically/physically possible.

As for your "causality" argument, I have a suggestion. Stop relentlessly beating up your straw man arguments and waste your time trying to refute this argument:

1) All or almost all physical events have causes
2) Therefore, for any particular event, it most likely had a cause.
3) The universe is a physical event.
4) Therefore, the universe most likely had a cause.

Last edited:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
I think that a lot of Bob's argument concerning closed gaps and filled gaps has gone over many peoples ability to understand, including myself. I think I have a grasp of the concept, and if Bob is right, then I would agree he has a valid point that Zakath has not refuted.
Help me with this.
An example in the ridiculous would be that science has proved that two humans could not reproduce a fish as an offspring. That would be an example of a "closed" gap? Or a man could not run the 100 meters in less than a second? {On earth today , unaided by wind or mechanics.} A closed gap?
A filled gap: The natural cause of the "Black Death" plague.
Another filled gap: A cure for and prevention of the plague.
A yet unfilled gap: A cure for Lou Gehrig's disease.

Now what I think Bob is saying is that Science has, as reasonable people look at things, closed the gap that natural processes could have produced life on earth. Just as science has "proved" that a fish could never be the ofspring of humans, it has also "proved" that life could not arise from nonlife. Or that it has closed the gap that it can say that the universe and its matter-energy had a "natural" beginning. There is no possible explanation for the material of the Big bang other than, it was there!
It seems to me that the atheist way of looking at things is to say, well it remains a scientific possibility that absurd things could happen. Science never rules anything out.
Bob is saying that science has ruled certain things out. The possible answer to questions is God did it. Atheists don't seem to be able to acknowledge the questions, and yet seem to think that science will provide the answers.
I am confused by the terminology, please correct me if I have used them in error. However I would like an atheist to give me an example. if they think there are any? of a gap that science has closed? Could humans produce fish? Could the matter for the BiG Bang always have existed?

Last edited:

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by Aussie Thinker
Scrimshaw,

Huesden covered most of it but I had to address this bit.

Actually, your atheistic comrade tried to disprove my logically sound argument by offering pseudo-examples that were NOT logically sound. I find it humorous that you didn't catch huesden's glaring error.

Science can NEVER state a gap cannot be filled. That si a ludicrouse statement.

Of course it can and does!! To say that science does not close gaps is the same thing as saying it never falsifies anything!! Is that really what you believe?

Last edited:

Scrimshaw

This is a forum in which matters of theology are discussed. Looking around, one gets the impression that the majority of people participating are believers, and apparently the majority of those are of the Christian faith.

That is aside from the point. Since you apparently did not think to look at the context of the discussion. I was responding to someone's comment that said - "Are you the only one left who thinks Bob has made any coherent arguments"?..... As you can see, my appeal to the polls clearly laid that ridiculous comment to rest, didnt it. Please check the context of comments before blindly stabbing at them. Thanks.

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find any example of someone "fantasizing" about "unlimited" possibilities.

Eh, how about Hawkings. And Steven J Gould. And Darwin. And Quentin Smith. And.....well........you get the point.

Some possibilities have been wrongly characterized as requiring nearly unlimited processes

Oh, you mean the same improbable "processes" that you and your atheist fantasizers have never been able to prove exist? Or even theoretically explain?

Correct. Unfortunately for his argument, Bob Enyart has failed to present an valid example of such a "closed gap". ALL examples he has presented to date are "closed" only in his own erroneous analyses.

Actually, I think Bob has done a bang up job at showing those gaps have been closed. Zakath can still argue they are not closed if he wants, but in order to do so he has to present some natural processes that can supposedly FILL those gaps. He has refused to even attempt to provide arguments on behalf of natural processes that could even *theoretically* fill those gaps. Thus, we can consider them gaps that science has closed until further notice.

This "argument" is an example of defining something into existence. It relies on defining "separate from the universe" as "supernatural" (an unwarranted assumption;

It is not an "unwarrant assumption", nor is my definition. Please get out your dictionary and look up the definitions of "universe" and "supernatural". Anything that is outside of the universe is "supernatural" BY DEFINITION.

we do not, and in fact cannot, know that the physical universe we see is the total of all things "natural" - and in fact, should the universe have a singularity at its origin, it winds up being entirely possible that there is a natural event "before" this point which cannot be detected from a viewpoint "after" that point).

Right, right. And have you observed, examined, or tested the existence of infinitely dense singularities? If not, why would you believe one existed at the origin of the universe and jokingly call that belief "scientific"??

Once that definition is made, equating "God" with "supernatural" brings God into "logical existence". However, the argument also contains another cause of its own downfall; the first line should, if it to properly reflect current experience, note that all physical things known have a PHYSICAL cause. This then would require that the universe have a PHYSICAL cause "outside itself",

That's impossible, because the "universe" *IS* all physical things. Below I will supply the actual definition of universe and put in bold the parts that are of particular interest:

universe (y¡´ne-vûrs´) noun

1. All matter and energy, including Earth, the galaxies and all therein, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole. 2. a The earth together with all its inhabitants and created things. b. The human race. 3. The sphere or realm in which something exists or takes place.

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

If you postulate the existence of a physical thing that exists or "takes place" outside of the universe, you have redefined the definition of "universe". Which then begs the question of why in the seven hells should we accept your personal, ad hoc definition of "universe" over the official definition given by the dictionary?

Therefore, either the structure of the argument or the definitions used within it must be incorrect, and the argument is invalid.

There is nothing invalid about my argument. If you'd like to disprove my argument, all you have to do is prove that there is some kind of "physical" cause that exists apart from the universe. Go ahead, I await your proof.

(There's actually another out here - as long as that escape clause "nearly all" appears in the first line, it remains possible that the universe is uncaused, since "nearly all" admits the possibility that some physical things would not require a cause outside of themselves.)

Yes, that "escape" clause is there because my argument is not dogmatic, but realized that it may be *possible* for the universe to be uncaused. However, that possiblity is just that - a possibility. But probability would unanimously suggest the universe was caused. The argument from probability goes like this -

1) All or nearly all physical events have a cause.
2) Thus, for any particular physical event, it *most likely* had a cause.
4) Therefore, the universe *most likely* had a cause.

Now, this argument (which cannot be logically disproven) proves that probability supports the assumption that the universe had a cause, which in turn, leads us to this question -

Q: Is it more logical to believe in a proposition that is supported by probability, Or...... more logical to believe in a proposition that is NOT supported by probability?

You'll find that most rational people will conclude that the propositions which have the *highest probability* of being true are superior to the propositions that have the *least* probability of being true. Thus, most rational people will conclude that it is more logical to believe the universe had a cause.

It is, as practically all such attempts made here have been, a very old argument whose forms and flaws have been
recognized for a very long time.

Not even close! But if lullabying yourself with that lie makes you feel fuzzy inside, God bless ya.

Last edited:

cthoma11

Originally posted by Aussie Thinker
You asked for proof of life produced in a Lab .. I gave it.

As life probably went through many iterations and a range of self replicating molecules before a successful version evolved into us it would be pretty hard to reproduce.

The intermediate steps only exist to day as “proto life”

Things like proteins, amino acids, viruses and eventually bacteria from primitive self replication through RNA world to DNA world would be as difficult to produce in a Lab as evolution.

HOWEVER.. they did succeed in making a virus from a chemical mixture.

It all goes to show possibility.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
You are technically correct, that my request was for the reference and that you answered.

But go back and look at the thread of conversation. Scrimshaw was pointing out that natural process does not provide the mechanism to produce life. You then said man had created life in the lab from chemicals. Putting the various responses together into an argument for a position assumes that you are not going to change the basics of the arguement. That is, for you to now say life was created in the lab using different processes than you were arguing is invalid as proof.

When discussing a thread, one should not have to re-state every premise from one post to the next in order to obtain honest responses. The original premise was that life would not come from natural processes. Your response was that man had done this in the lab. My response was that your response did not meet the criteria to refute the original claim.

Here is a snipet from the original message I queried you about. As you can see, the implied context is that life came about through natural random processes, not controlled lab RNA sequencing. Your example about the "virus from chemicals" only really shows is that man can assemble things, even very complex things, given instructions. I don't think you will get an argument from anyone about this. To make the jump that there is a natural process that does the same thing, is to me, assuming the conclusion.

=========================================
Nice if we could observe them.. wait for your time machine for your verification.. a long wait I would assume. And what about your God that popped out out unobserved and uncaused.. etc etc !

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and those pixie-like processes that supposedly create amazingly complex lifeforms to magically evolve out of non-living chemicals
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which can be repeated in labs. Man has already created a virus from chemicals.
===========================================

cheeezywheeezy

tenkeeper,

you say:

"i cannot limit my Creator..."

and

"...nothing is impossible..."

do you really believe this? Do you think I am limiting God by saying that he cannot travel back in time? You state that nothing is impossible. NOTHING is impossible? I hate this question will ask it anyway..."can God make a rock so big that He cannot lift it?" The reason I ask is to show that the question itself is illogical. Can God do the illogical?

In the same way, traveling back in time is illogical. What if nothing is impossible and He can travel back in time and change things. Doing so would be no less work for God. Wouldn't it be just as easy for God to have traveled back in time to the point before Adam and Eve fell and do something different so that they wouldn't fall? Or similarly travel back in time to beore the flood and change something so that He wouldn't have had to destroy the world?

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Scrimshaw

As for your "causality" argument, I have a suggestion. Stop relentlessly beating up your straw man arguments and waste your time trying to refute this argument:

1) All or almost all physical events have causes
2) Therefore, for any particular event, it most likely had a cause.
4) Therefore, the universe most likely had a cause.

This argument is irrefutable. However, it also is essentially meaningless from the standpoint of contributing much to the discussion at hand.

First, that the universe "had a cause" has really not been questioned by anyone here. The question concerns the nature of that cause, and this argument says absolutely nothing about that.

Second, though - that pesky "most likely" that has to be in there. It is required due to the uncertainty surrounding the first proposition. We believe that "all" physical events have causes simply because we have not, in our admittedly limited experience, come across any that haven't had causes. But this alone does not rule out the possibility of an uncaused event. Clearly, IF we define "the universe" to mean "everything in the current physical reality", then there was at least one event without an apparent "physical" cause - the creation of the universe itself, since it is a contradiction to say that the universe created itself. Even this, though, does not logically require an intelligent, conscious act of creation, or a "God" - unless we simply define "God" to mean "whatever created the universe" (a definition that is, I think you'll agree, far too broad to be of any value).

cthoma11

Originally posted by RogerB
quote:
Let us investigate this logic in another example.

1. All members of a football team have parents
2. The football team represents all members of the team
3. Therefore the football team must have a parent

As we can see, argument 3 does not follow from argument 1 and 2. The logic is therefore flawed.

There is NO flaw in that logic....other than a confusing mix of singulars and plurals.

Actually the middle terms are not the same (the mix of singular in the first term and plural in the second term) so the logic is in fact wrong. The members in the first term are actually "each member", the members in the second term is the collective group. You cannot equate unequal middle terms in a sylogism and claim the logic is correct. Therefore the conclusion is also not valid.

Last edited:

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by jeremiah

Help me with this.
An example in the ridiculous would be that science has proved that two humans could not reproduce a fish as an offspring. That would be an example of a "closed" gap? Or a man could not run the 100 meters in less than a second? {On earth today , unaided by wind or mechanics.} A closed gap?
A filled gap: The natural cause of the "Black Death" plague.
Another filled gap: A cure for and prevention of the plague.
A yet unfilled gap: A cure for Lou Gehrig's disease.

If this is what Bob Enyart is arguing - and I think it just may be - then the basic problem lies with a very common misunderstanding as to just how "science" operates (or possibly better phrased as what "science" IS).

"Science" - by which I mean the scientific method; science is a process, not a group of individuals or a body of knowledge - is not concerned with the "proof" of ANYTHING. Scientists do NOT "prove" things, despite a common misunderstanding by the lay public (involving phrases you're never going to here a scientist use except in very casual speech, such as "scientific proof"). Let me elaborate on this a bit, in the hopes that it may help clear some things up.

The scientific method is concerned with really just two types of "knowledge" - empirical data, which is sometimes loosely referred to as "facts" (i.e., that which we can observe directly), and the conceptual models which attempt to explain this observed data. This latter sort of knowledge is referred to as "hypotheses" or "theories", depending primarily on how much testing has been performed (to see how well the model corresponds with the observed world, to see if it makes useful predictions), etc.. "Theories" are NEVER "proven", meaning accepted as truth beyond ANY possibility of contradiction. A theory is used just as long as it has NOT been shown to be contradicted by observed data ("facts"), and, if the scientist is doing his or her job honestly, is either abandoned or modified when such a contradiction is found. In short, a scientist freely admits that all such theories are ALWAYS, to some degree, treated as tentative (although clearly some have stood sufficient testing as to be very commonly accepted and used). It can also therefore be said that science is not involved with "proof", but rather "disproof" - the purpose of scientific experimentation is to see if a given notion stands up to the test of agreeing with the real world, but even if it passes that test, it is simply considered as not DISproven YET. When the non-scientist attempts to disparage a given notion (such as, say "evolution") by using the comment "it's just a theory", all they are really doing is demonstrating ignorance of just what a "theory" really IS. In science, EVERYTHING that is not directly observed fact will AT BEST be "a theory".

One of the upshots of all this is that a scientist - meaning anyone who is attempting to determine "truth" through the application of the scientific method - must remain at all times willing to abandon or change a belief which has been shown not to agree with observation, and similarly to embrace a better model - a better explanation for what is observed. I am forced to note that this is one of the primary distinctions between those schools of thought that we label "scientific" and "religious", the latter being without this internal self-correcting mechanism. (Which is not to say that religions do not change or "correct themselves", but rather that the mechanism of such change is considerably different.)

Now what I think Bob is saying is that Science has, as reasonable people look at things, closed the gap that natural processes could have produced life on earth.

Bob may be saying this, but he has yet to show it. His arguments to date in this area have ALL been based on a misinterpretion or misrepresentation - I cannot say which - of the available information. And while the following is not itself a conclusive argument (and I don't intend it as such), I have to ask - do people REALLY believe that, if such fundamental and obvious flaws existed in current scientific thinking, that such ideas would still be presented with a straight face in mainstream science education? Does anyone truly believe that, say, biology professors are out there right now saying, in effect, "well, yes, we KNOW that's an obvious and fatal flaw, but we still require you to believe this stuff becase we want to advance our mean ol' atheistic agenda at all costs?" I've attended my share (and possibly then some!) of science classes, and if such IS going on, I've never seen it. Instead, a very carefully reasoned line of argument is presented, building on observed data and going from there.

Just as science has "proved" that a fish could never be the ofspring of humans, it has also "proved" that life could not arise from nonlife.

Strictly speaking, "science" (and I have to ask just who you mean when you use the term in this context) has not "proved" the first statement - such an event, however, DOES seem to be very, very unlikely! :) But "science" certainly has not said the latter, since there is a clear POSSIBLE path for life to arise from non-life (and in fact, such a thing MUST have happened at least once - we're merely arguing about HOW it happened). It is not possible to "prove" that this is what DID happen, but the theory does agree very, very well with the totality of observed data.

Or that it has closed the gap that it can say that the universe and its matter-energy had a "natural" beginning. There is no possible explanation for the material of the Big bang other than, it was there!

Sorry, but this is a case where "there is no possible explanation" has been misused - I believe it would be more correct to say that YOU are not aware of the explanation (unless you are claiming to be both aware of all explanations, and competent to judge the "possibility" of all of them).

All discussions of origins are, in fact, doomed to this same problem; you can always ask, of ANY proposed "first cause" (including God!), "but what caused THAT?" To say that God was "just there", and yet to claim that this is not an acceptable answer for any other supposed cause, is applying a double standard without justification. The only thing it "proves" is that you have defined "God" to mean "that thing that created the universe, and which was always there!". It winds up being just an exercise in doubletalk, no matter which way you're arguing. The bottom line is that no matter how we believe the universe came into being, there MUST be a point in its past beyond which we cannot "see" - we can speculate all we want, but we will never be able to say with certainty what came "before".

It seems to me that the atheist way of looking at things is to say, well it remains a scientific possibility that absurd things could happen. Science never rules anything out.

That's almost correct; science never does truly "rule anything out", but that's not the same as saying that "absurd things" are the only explanation being offered. In this case, these things have been painted as "absurd" through incorrect arguments, and so it's hardly reasonable to claim that "science is saying absurd things!" A more accurate statement, from the perspective of Bob Enyart, for example, would be "Science is saying things that I THINK are absurd!" - but we already knew that, and simply having Bob think they are absurd does not make them so, unless Bob is to be considered infallible.

Bob is saying that science has ruled certain things out. The possible answer to questions is God did it. Atheists don't seem to be able to acknowledge the questions, and yet seem to think that science will provide the answers.

First, as noted above, Bob is making this claim, but that's quite far from it actually being the case. Secondly, the problem with the answer "God did it!" is that it's really a non-answer, IF we are expecting both sides in the discussion to live up to the same expectations. It is not reasonable to require that "science" (again, whoever we think THAT is) to explain everything before it can be accepted, and yet consider "God did it!" - without further explanation as to the nature, origin, etc., of "God" - to be an acceptable answer. Either both sides must offer the same degree of evidence and reasoning, or both should be able to use the equivalent of "it just happened". And, like it or not, "God did it!", again in the absence of further explanation, IS the logical equivalent of "it just happened."

I am confused by the terminology, please correct me if I have used them in error. However I would like an atheist to give me an example. if they think there are any? of a gap that science has closed? Could humans produce fish? Could the matter for the BiG Bang always have existed?

I hope you won't mind my answering this one, since, as noted earlier, I do NOT consider myself an "atheist." But I'm afraid you're not going to like the answer much, anyway - I'd have to say that the question as stated is poorly made. You need to be a bit clearer as to what "closing a gap" really means. If it means being absolutely certain about the answer to any given question, then no - science isn't in that business, as noted earlier. If, however, you mean answering questions to a degree of certainty sufficient for the knowledge to be useful, then I would have to say that examples are all around you.

Another significant difference between scientific and religious forms of knowledge is that science acknowledges that our understanding of the world will never truly be complete - that there must always remain "gaps" in that knowledge. It's a bit like constantly moving just half the remaining distance toward a goal - you'll never REALLY quite get there. (You can, of course, get close enough that there's no practical difference between that and "being there"! :)) Most religions, on the other hand, have (in the form of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being) an explanation that literally covers everything completely. (Some would argue that human religious thought originally came from a desire to have explanations, but that's not really relevant here.) This doesn't by itself say anything about the relative validity of the two forms of knowledge, but I think it is important to recognize that the two are coming from very different viewpoints in this regard.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re "fantasizing" about "unlimited" processes:

Originally posted by Scrimshaw

Eh, how about Hawkings. And Steven J Gould. And Darwin. And Quentin Smith. And.....well........you get the point.
Not really. I'm reasonably familiar with the works of all of these, with the exception of Smith, and I don't see how any could be considered to be guilty of the above. Examples and reasoning would be appreciated.

It is not an "unwarrant assumption", nor is my definition. Please get out your dictionary and look up the definitions of "universe" and "supernatural". Anything that is outside of the universe is "supernatural" BY DEFINITION.

Just as soon as the dictionary becomes accepted as a theology, philisophy, or science text, you MIGHT have a point. However, I think you will find relying on such simplistic lay definitions to ultimately be unsatisfying. It would be equally valid to point out that "supernatural" is itself a meaningless term - since anything that actually exists would have to be considered "natural". See the problems you get into by trying to have Webster's decide points of philosophy?

Right, right. And have you observed, examined, or tested the existence of infinitely dense singularities? If not, why would you believe one existed at the origin of the universe and jokingly call that belief "scientific"??

Ignoring for the moment the fact that objects fitting the description of a singularity have been observed, we should also note that you can ask the same question and substitute "God" in place of "singularity" - have you observed, examined, or tested the existence of "God" (whatever your particular beliefs would define "God" to be)? If not, then why should we hold one side to a different standard than the other?

That's impossible, because the "universe" *IS* all physical things. Below I will supply the actual definition of universe and put in bold the parts that are of particular interest:

If you postulate the existence of a physical thing that exists or "takes place" outside of the universe, you have redefined the definition of "universe". Which then begs the question of why in the seven hells should we accept your personal, ad hoc definition of "universe" over the official definition given by the dictionary?

Again, I was unaware that those nice people at Houghton Mifflin had taken on the role of the official arbiters of ultimate truth, or even that they considered their product as providing complete and detailed descriptions of all aspects of current thought - as opposed to merely documenting the common use of language in lay speech. I happen to have the same dictionary you referenced - and since I see that it contains no entry for "Bose-Einstein condensate", I suppose I must then conclude that not only does such a thing not exist, it never could exist and in fact has never even been considered before! (Which apparently means that I just thought it up all by myself in the last few seconds, and should be filing for the patents immediately...)

There is nothing invalid about my argument. If you'd like to disprove my argument, all you have to do is prove that there is some kind of "physical" cause that exists apart from the universe. Go ahead, I await your proof.

Your argument was already shown to be invalid, by others as well as myself, since it is essentially meaningless and leads to contradictions if logically followed through.

Yes, that "escape" clause is there because my argument is not dogmatic, but realized that it may be *possible* for the universe to be uncaused. However, that possiblity is just that - a possibility. But probability would unanimously suggest the universe was caused. The argument from probability goes like this -

I have to admit to more than a little problem with the phrase "probability would unanimously suggest", but be that as it may...

But THIS has already been acknowledged as a valid argument (it's modified from your original such that it now is valid), albeit an irrelevant one. Simply saying that the universe is likely "caused" says nothing about the nature of that cause, which is actually the question at hand.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by cheeezywheeezy
Bob writes...

"If we called him a crapologist, no one would take the job."

Now that's funny!
Nope, just up to his usual intellectual standards... when he cannot build a convincing argument, insult the opponent... :rolleyes:

heusdens

But THIS has already been acknowledged as a valid argument (it's modified from your original such that it now is valid), albeit an irrelevant one. Simply saying that the universe is likely "caused" says nothing about the nature of that cause, which is actually the question at hand.

Still this is NOT a valid argument, for the reason that the universe is not a physical event. The universe is the collection of ALL PHYSICAL events.

The collection of all integers, is not an integer, and what is true for every integer (adding one yields another integer, for example) is not valid for the collection of all integers.

Got it?

Stating that the universe had a cause is as ridiculous as stating that causality had a cause.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
Nope, just up to his usual intellectual standards... when he cannot build a convincing argument, insult the opponent... :rolleyes:
How was Bob "insulting his opponent"?

Are you reading Bob's posts? Or are you jumping to false conculsions again?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight
How was Bob "insulting his opponent"?
Considering the source that supplied the quote (cheezywheezy), I commented before I read the citation in context...

I apologize to Pastor Enyart and the readers for my unseemly comment. :doh:

heusdens

Yes, but the flaw here - and note that the first argument isn't QUITE what was originally posted - is that there is no assumption that "represents" should be taken as "has all the qualities of". If the argument is:

1. All things have a cause
2. The universe IS a thing
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause.

...then it IS valid - at least IF the original assumption is true. But it must be recognized that this IS an assumption. We do not know of uncaused things, but cannot logically rule them out. Further, merely concluding that the universe "has a cause" says nothing about the nature of that cause. It could be either intelligent Creator or blind, random forces - there is no way to resolve that within the bounds of the argument presented.

The argument is INCORRECT as we can not say that the universe is a THING. It is merely the collection of all THINGS and all EVENTS.

Now a collection of all things, doesn't have necessarily the properties of each individual thing of which the collection is made.
I showed that in my argument from the football team and it's members.

In the same way the collection of all integers is not an integer, and the rule that applies for all integers (adding one to an integer yields an integer) is not true for the collection of all integers (you can not add one to a collection, that operation is not defined for a collection).

Correct. And in fact, this IS a valid argument, AND as far as we can tell the universe taken as a whole IS a closed system (and therefore assumption 2 could be stated more simply). But this again simply says that the universe had a point of origin in time, and that, whatever the nature of that origin, the first assumption did not apply THEN even though it clearly applies now. This tells us a little bit about the nature of that point of origin (i.e., SOMETHING happened that lies outside the nature of the physical universe as we know it today), but again this doesn't rule out EITHER a "Creator" or utterly natural processes. (It does not require the assumption of a God to violate the current laws of thermodynamics; it is equally valid to assume that those "laws" were not yet in existence at the time of the creation event. Of the two, assuming that the laws were not yet in existence would be preferred via Occam's Razor, but then we have to also acknowledge that Occam's Razor is itself not a "law".)

I'm sorry, but again you can not claim that since adding together all finite closed systems to the universe, would result in the universe being a closed system.

My argument is that this is not the case, while on the other hand, neither it is the case the the universe is an OPEN system, which is by definition not the case since there is nothing outside the universe with which the universe could be in thermal contact.
(contradiction!).

If the universe is a closed system, that would have to be the case for both the FIRST and the SECOND law. According to the FIRST law this means that it always contained the same amount of matter and energy, which also means that the universe did not "come into existence".
The application of the universe then tells you, that the universe must run down on useuable energy.
In combination that means, the amount of useuable energy must have already run down since there is no begin to the universe.
Contradiction!
The universe HAS still useuable energy, cause we see the sun still shines.

No matter what you do or try, you can not escape from running into deeper and more profound contradictions!

The only possible way out is to state that the concepts of closed, open or isolated systems are only meaningfull in the context of FINITE systems, and not for the universe (an INFINITE system( itself.

No - since no assumption has been made at this point about the rate of entropy increase. All that can be said from noting that the sun is still shining is that the heat death of the universe has not occured YET.

Neither is it going to occur EVER!

When talking about the universe and the laws of thermodynamics, we can just state that matter and energy are conserved both quantitatively (no flow of matter/energy in or out the universe) and qualitatively (the universe doesn't run down on useuable energy, no heat death occurs).

The argument is false, but because the second assumption is incomplete. An infinite line may be viewed as consisting of an infinite number of finite lines - and (3) does not logically follow from that and (1).

(Just checking the logic from BOTH sides! :))

But a finite line has a begin and an end. No matter how many finite lines you assemble, still one end will be the begin and the other will be the end....

Which just shows that the infinite itself can not be conceived without contradiction. It is a contradiction that the infinite is composed of finite parts only, and yet that is the case.
The removal of the contradiction is the destruction of infinity.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
Considering the source that supplied the quote (cheezywheezy), I commented before I read the citation in context...

I apologize to Pastor Enyart and the readers for my unseemly comment. :doh:
You are forgiven.

Although I would suggest that you actually read Bob's posts they are really entertaining!

And at this point I would like to publicly thank both Bob AND Zakath for all their effort in this battle! :up:

heusdens

Contradiction

Contradiction

Contradiction

For those people who are still trying to perceive of reality without a contradiction, we have bad news. Reality itself is nothing but a contradiction, and all attempts to remove the contradictions, will result in the appearence of even more and profounder contradictions.

For example:
Both a universe appearing for no reason from nowhere and the existence of the universe in an eternal way, denote contradictions.
The first one, urges us to assume a 'creator' of some sorts, the latter one, urges us to assume the contradictionary concept of inifinity and eternity.
In the first case, the removal of the contradictionary 'creator' would leave us with the contradiction of a universe coming from nothing, in the latter case, the removal of the contradiction of infinity, would be the destruction of infinity itself.

Whatever we choose for our starting point in the perception of reality, this contradiction can not in any way be removed and reasoned out, but will invade into any concept we have about reality.

Which leaves us no alternative but to DEAL with this contradiction from the start on.

Status
Not open for further replies.