Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by Spartin
So I guess we are all really just inbreds?

Some more so than others, but this is true whether you believe in creation or evolution. Still, in your case, you might not want to go around advertising it...

tuxpower

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
Some more so than others, but this is true whether you believe in creation or evolution. Still, in your case, you might not want to go around advertising it...
Nice.

tuxpower

Originally posted by heusdens
I have seen this offer on his website, and I in fact send him a message through his website, I would have no problem in providing him whatever proof he wants.

Never got a reaction back from him, of course!

So I offered him, I could provide him a better explenation of how the material world in fact works, and not how he thinks the material world works.

If he want a disproof for his own conceptual misunderstanding of the world, he can of course have it, but he doesn't seem to want that!

It sounds like you informed him that you COULD provide the proof, but didn't actually send him an organized, formulated submission for him to consider. Or am I misunderstanding you, and that is what you did?

mighty_duck

Is it just me, or are Pastor Bob's arguments getting severely repetitive? He himself stated that he isn't trying to offer proof, but evidence of god's existence. Let's see what his evidence is so far:

1. There are lots of things about the universe we don't know. From unexplained cosmic phenomenons, to biological and evolutionary questions mankind has no answer for at this point in time. Usually these are either at a great distance, or are far in the past, and we therefore have a hard time creating experiments to reproduce them.
I still don't see how this constitutes any evidence, except for a need for further scientific study.

2. Absolute morality is evidence of god. The evidence Bob has shown to indicate that absolute morality exists, and what its nature is, is very shaky at best. He claims that conscience is uniform in all humans, which is hard to believe considering the different customs, laws, and well, morals, that exist between all the cultures on earth today, and in the past.
Even if we were to accept that there are some values that have been sacred to every culture since the dawn of time (that's a pretty big leap there), I still don't see how this is evidence that god planted it there. Evolution is just as good a source to have embedded us with some primitive value system, akin to natural instincts.

Thats about it :think:

As for his latest Gap in scientific knowledge, he points to the original creation of proteins. The scientific community has no definitive answer to this. The most widely held theory today is that RNA was created first, and helped in the construction of the first proteins. If I were Zakath, I wouldn't bother bringing this up though. There are plenty of Gaps in this theory as well, and I'd rather admit we just don't know for sure how they came about...

mighty_duck

Originally posted by Knight
You should consider reading the debate more carfully.

Apparently your missing 95% of it. :doh:

I reread it upon your advice, Knight. Aside from one paragraph where Bob tries to pass that consciousness is also evidence of god, all his other so called evidence falls under one of the two categories above.

If you disagree, please provide a quote from Bob's articles of a different form of evidence.

cthoma11

Originally posted by Aussie Thinker
Scrimshaw writes,

... stuff deleted...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and those pixie-like processes that supposedly create amazingly complex lifeforms to magically evolve out of non-living chemicals
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which can be repeated in labs. Man has already created a virus from chemicals.
Really, can you please supply references of this creation of life in the lab from chemicals?

I've created barbequed steak from chemicals... but the chemicals were already in the form of raw steak, a match and a barbeque. :)

Your claim is meaningless without context. Also, I'm surprised that this hasn't appeared in the mainstream news (the creation of life that is, not my barbequing of the steak.)

heusdens

Originally posted by tuxpower
It sounds like you informed him that you COULD provide the proof, but didn't actually send him an organized, formulated submission for him to consider. Or am I misunderstanding you, and that is what you did?

Well I sent him 2 or 3 subsequent messages , in which I explained that the "proof" he wanted does not count as proof, since matter is not created how can he want proof of that, so I explained him some things about how he could conceive of how the material world "works". Without the need of a creator.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by mighty_duck
I reread it upon your advice, Knight. Aside from one paragraph where Bob tries to pass that consciousness is also evidence of god, all his other so called evidence falls under one of the two categories above.

If you disagree, please provide a quote from Bob's articles of a different form of evidence.
I make it a point not to do all the heavy lifting.

JanowJ

I have seen this offer on his website, and I in fact send him a message through his website, I would have no problem in providing him whatever proof he wants.
The man has a weird way of perceiving the material world, and wants to see proof for things, that can't possible be provided for, because he wants to have them in a way, which are alien to matter itself.
I mean, he wants to have proof of how matter can create itself.
But since matter isn't created, how can he want proof of that?

In other words, the evolutionist can't prove it, but they believe it. The fact that you can't prove that matter can create itself makes evolution a belief system, not a science.
Can you PROVE that matter always existed? If you can do that, I'd say you have a great chance at the prize. The truth is, though, that you can't do that.

So, this "offer" is nothing but a joke.

Actuallly, the joke is the evolution theory. Not his offer. You even admitted that you can't provide proof and that it's impossible to provide proof. Yet, you call this science. Funny.

tenkeeper

Job 23:8-10

Behold, I go forward but He is not there
and backward, but I cannot perceive Him:
On the left hand, where He doth work,
but I cannot behold Him:
He hideth Himself on the right hand
that I cannot see Him:
But He knoweth the way that I take:
when He hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.

Flipper

janowJ wrote:

The fact that you can't prove that matter can create itself makes evolution a belief system, not a science.

That depends on what you mean by "matter".

Heusden's objections stem from the fact that Hovind is being deliberately opaque in his requirements for proof, he won't give any details on who will be assessing the claims and whether those people are at all objective (frankly, I don't even think he's picked any sort of panel of experts, but he won't tell us so we don't know).

Furthermore, proof is for mathematicians. Real science deals in approximations. It's eminently possible to plug one's ears and go "la-la-la" when confronted with inconvenient evidence that doesn't fit with one's world view. I'm watching creationists do it right now as more and more genomes are sequenced and the first maps of ancestral commonality are being confirmed outside standard taxonomy.

To the creationist, all it proves is that God reuses DNA where necessary. To the biologist, it validates predictions, which is key to driving scientific knowledge forward.

heusdens

Originally posted by JanowJ
In other words, the evolutionist can't prove it, but they believe it. The fact that you can't prove that matter can create itself makes evolution a belief system, not a science.
Can you PROVE that matter always existed? If you can do that, I'd say you have a great chance at the prize. The truth is, though, that you can't do that.

The assumption that matter is infinite and eternal is reasoned.
I provided for myself the argumentation why that has to be the case. You can follow that proof here

Actuallly, the joke is the evolution theory. Not his offer. You even admitted that you can't provide proof and that it's impossible to provide proof. Yet, you call this science. Funny.

It is the creationists that want to make fun of science, and misrepresent it, and then state: see that can't possible work, therefore God must have done it.

Let me state it more clearly. Something that didn't happen or that can't possible happen, one can not proof.
Matter is that what is primary to the world. Matter being primary and objective means that matter it is not dependend on something else.
In particular matter is not dependend on consciousness or spirit since those denote secondary and subjective entities.
I can not with my mind and just by thinking cause some physical change in matter. I can perhaps direct through my muscles at will some indirect changes. But then I am already using some material forms (my hand or feet). So to me it is impossible that someting consciousness or spiritual alone can cause anything material, let alone create all of matter. It is just not possible.
Besides of that the notion of God as the creator in my mind misunderstand the fact that matter itself is uncreatble and indestructable. Why create a world that resides on itself, which does not have a begin or end, and neither needs a creator to account for it's existence. You can only posit the necesity for a creator of some sorts, at the basis of misunderstanding or misinterpretations of the material world itself.
The understanding of materialism about the world is that matter is the primary stuff or substance of the world that is not dependend on anything. Matter contains within itself it's own causes for existence. Matter is also primary in the sense that neither it can fail to exist at any given time. Without matter, there would be nothing. Not even space or time. But a mere nothing can't possible account for an existing world, since from nothing comes nothing. The fact that matter exists now, therefore must mean that matter existed always.

The argument I presented in the link above, works by not assuming anything at all and not residing on any knowledge we might have about the world , except for the most trivial things that we can know and reason from there about what the world in fact is and how and why it exist.
It does not need to assume at any point the need for a creator, it just states that what is needed is the concept of matter as something primary and objective to the world, which existed always.

So that means, matter was there all the time, and did not get created. What happens though is that matter changes shape, and form all the time. So it does not mean that the current form of matter was there all the time, but that matter in some form or another was there all the time.

Last edited:

PureX

Originally posted by Knight
I make it a point not to do all the heavy lifting.
That was a very cheap out. You should have offered something to back up your position after accusing someone of not reading the post.

Flake

Creation, evolution? Who gives a flying fig. Fact is, your here now and you have a world of opportunity and pleasure at your fingertips, and limited time to appreciate it. Dont waste it! Regret is a terrible bedfellow. You realise this as you get older you know, not that I am old or anything. :D

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
The argument I presented in the link above, works by not assuming anything at all and not residing on any knowledge we might have about the world, except for the most trivial things that we can know

You cannot prove anything without first making some assumptions. Making assumptions can be useful to test models to see if they fit with observation, and how well they make predictions. (And, how well they make you happy, for instance.) Triviality is in the mind of the beholder.

--ZK

heusdens

Originally posted by ZroKewl
You cannot prove anything without first making some assumptions. Making assumptions can be useful to test models to see if they fit with observation, and how well they make predictions. (And, how well they make you happy, for instance.) Triviality is in the mind of the beholder.

--ZK

The only factual assumption I make, in my answer to the problem/question of "why is there something instead of nothing" is the assumption that I happen to witness there is a world.

If that would not be assumed or stated, the nature of the question makes it impossible to answer the question, since any answer that would provide the necessary grounds for a question "why is it the case the X?" needs an answer in the form of "because B is the case". We can however not assume any B to exist at all, that can answer this question, given the nature of the question itself.

I am not a hypothetical being, that tries to solves puzzles, without in fact being able to know that there is a world of which I myself am part. That hypothetical being would not be able to solve the question, and it would not be able to solve any question at all, since it would not have selfawareness.
The fact that I have selfawareness (which allows me to say that I am a consciouss being) provides for me the necessary and sufficient grounds to answer this purely theoretical question.

tuxpower

I don't think anything. I think the clock is meant to be more of a guide than a time bomb, but I can't say for sure. Although it appears that he's 40 minutes over due which seems strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.