Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by RogerB
Originally posted by Flake
Resurection myth, amongst others, is a feature of many pre-christian and concurrent religions.
Atheists pass along erroneous information like an elephant with diarrhea.
Have you done any research on this or are you just spouting more diarrhea?

To deny the similarities of the Christian myth (story, if you like) with other non-Christian myths (stories), one has to be completely blinded to the truth.

The resurrection is just one such similarity. There are many others. For starters, check out the following links:

http://www.geocities.com/faithofyeshua/resurrection_angel_messiah3days.htm
http://www.christslove.com/Hercules/Hercules.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr1.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa2.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa3.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa4.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa1.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa0.htm
http://religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr.htm

I remember when I was a hard core fundamental Christian and heard a Muslim pastor quote several passages from the Koran. I was floored at how similar it was to the Bible. That led to me opening my eyes and learning about other religions -- specifically noting the vast amount of similarities (and obviously observing the differences). Christianity has no monopoloy on religious history, tenets, and beliefs. I highly recommend learning about other religions -- not just focusing on the differences. But, most Christians will be too close-minded to do this. I was for the longest time.

--ZK

Scrimshaw

I said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, if atheism is true, an objective, absolute, empirical "right" and "wrong" would not exist. And any moral judgements you make are arbitrary and imaginary. I find it amusing that you atheists will not believe in an "imaginary" god, but you have no problems believing in imaginary morals. Such duplicity and hypocrisy proves that atheism is a dishonest belief system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by avatar382
Just because a skeptic denies that there exist absolute morals doesn't mean that the skeptics are amoral people.

I didn't claim otherwise. What I DID claim is that atheists have no objective basis for their morals. Therefore, without an objective basis, an atheist's morality is totally subjective, arbitrary, and inherently meaningless.

The morals of an athiest or any other non-theist may not be absolute, but that doesn't mean that they are arbitrary or "imaginary". How can morals be "imaginary", anyway?

Imaginary means - an idea or concept that only exists within the mind and does not have existence outside of the mind. If no God exists, the morals of an atheist would be make-believe values that only exist in the human mind. If no God exists, then in REALITY, human life would be nothing but an accidental, arbitrary, chance-effect of a cosmic explosion. Our existence/survival would would have no inherent value whatsoever. Any value or importance humans believe they have would be imaginary, make-believe values. Remember, the entire basis of "morality" rests on the idea that human life and existence has value and meaning; but in an atheistic scenarios, they wouldn't.

I believe that the morals we have in place now aren't here because they are absolute or from a higher power, but rather are morals conducive to a healthy society and thus helpful to civilized society.

You're missing the point. You are appealing to the idea that "health" and "civilization" are valuable goals. But where do you dervive that value? You derive it soley from the recesses of your imagination. It is an imaginary value that you have made up. In reality, the universe cares nothing about your existence or survival. You are nothing but a freak accident. In fact, the universe as a whole is completely hostile to your existence. In an atheist scenario, what inherent value does "health" have? What inherent value does survival have? What inherent value does "civilization" have? They have NO value. Every society that exists now is already as dead as door nails; it's just an issue of time. So trying to survive while KNOWING you never can, would be the supreme example of futility.

So, we use them to keep our communities, cities, countries, and societies running smoothly.

Again, in an atheist scenario, the universe cares nothing about societies running smoothly. In fact, the universe would just as well send a comet towards Earth and obliterate all life on the planet. So much for your societies "running smoothly"! The fact is, the universe is opposed to human life and cares nothing of it's survival or death. In an atheist scenario, human life has no more inherent meaning than that of an interstellar gas cloud. Any meaning you assign to human societies or them "running smoothly", would be an imaginary meaning that exists only in your mind.

Thus, morals may not be divine for the skeptic, but extremely important, nonetheless.

And as I have shown, this alleged "importance" you speak of would be totally imaginary under an atheistic scenario. Again, I find it amusing that you atheists will not believe in an "imaginary" god, but you have no problems believing in imaginary morals, and the imaginary idea that human life actually has value. Such duplicity and hypocrisy proves that atheism is a dishonest, self-contradicting belief system.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by heusdens
Hitler certainly appeared at times to be a theist, and claimed to be a Christian:
So does Clinton. So do a lot of non-Christians, particularly those in government. Has it ever occured to you that Hitler might have been a liar? Jesus warned that there would be many who falsely call upon His name. He also said you will know them by their fruits.

Hitler's agenda was inline with Darwinian racism, and his actions cannot be condemned by that belief system. However, the Bible teaches that we are all of one blood, and clearly condemns those who kill the innocent.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ZroKewl
I remember when I was a hard core fundamental Christian and heard a Muslim pastor quote several passages from the Koran. I was floored at how similar it was to the Bible.
That couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was written centuries after the Bible's books were written by a man who had read the Bible, could it?

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Turbo
That couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was written centuries after the Bible's books were written by a man who had read the Bible, could it?
... I think you've got something here. Now, keep going back further... before Jesus. Now what do you see? The same thing.

--ZK

Scrimshaw

Re: The Ultimate Question of Origins: God and the beginning of the universe

Re: The Ultimate Question of Origins: God and the beginning of the universe

heusden,

You quoted Craig:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From the webpage: Creation and Big Bang Cosmology (see above) the following text fragment: "But why think that such a cause exists at all? Very simply, the causal inference is based in the metaphysical intuition that something cannot come out of absolutely nothing. A pure potentiality cannot actualize itself. In the case of the universe (including any boundary points), there was not anything physically prior to the initial singularity.{4} The potentiality for the existence of the universe could not therefore have lain in itself, since it did not exist prior to the singularity. On the theistic hypothesis, the potentiality of the universe's existence lay in the power of God to create it. On the atheistic hypothesis, there did not even exist the potentiality for the existence of the universe. But then it seems inconceivable that the universe should become actual if there did not exist any potentiality for its existence. It seems to me therefore that a little reflection leads us to the conclusion that the origin of the universe had a cause."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....that it does not just denote the absence of any concept we have of anything physical, it denotes the fact that NOTHING (wether physical or not) whatsoever would exist. A TOTAL NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. NADA. NOPPES.

That is incorrect. The scenario being described is specifically, and exclusively referring to the state of a *PHYSICAL* nothingness. That should be obvious since the discussion is regarding the origin of the PHYSICAL dimension. God could exist in a separate, non-physical dimension. No one has claimed that God existed WITHIN the *physical* state of nothingness.

So, if God exists, this means that the state of nothing, does not contain God or anything else that exists.

That is correct. Theists generally do not claim that God existed within the physical state of nothingness.

A state of total nothingness denotes that there is not anything existing, and in which by definition also God is not existing.

YES, God did not exist as a PHYSICAL THING. "Nothing" means - NO-PHYSICAL-THING. God is not defined as a physical thing, so yes, he would not have existed in the physical dimension.

Once you state that God is existent, then you can not "from nothing" argue that there is a God which exist in the state of the world, which is defined as that there is not something existing.

The terminal problem with your argument is you state that theists believe God exists in the physical state of the world. That is false. Theists claim that God exists OUTSIDE of the physical state of the universe.

Doing so, would invalidate any form of language rules and reason. It would therefore be unreasonable.

Yes it would, and that is why theists have done no such thing. In order for you argument to work, you'd have to find an example of theists who claim God's existence is held WITHIN the physical dimension of the universe.

Back to the question. Why is there something instead of nothing? What we need to see is that the nature of the question would in fact dicate us to assume, that since we have to explain all of existence, can not hold ANYTHING as existing. So, this would indicate, that we could not in any possible way answer that question, since for any grounds to be made that could form a satisfactory explenation, we would need to make a statement in the form: "Because X is the case". But since we can not assume anything, there is no X that could form sufficient grounds.

So what we know then is that:

[1] There is no possible way in which from nothing a something can emerge
[2] There is a world. It at least contains me, my consciousness (I can state that I exist and witnes the world)
[3] The world therefore must have existed for eternity

That argument is non-sequitur. #3 does not logically follow from #2. The fact that the world exists does not prove it must have ALWAYS existed. The world could have begun to exist at a finite point in the past, and you are simply observing it in it's current state of existence. More on this below.......

Although I can conclude, since it is inconceivable that there was a time in which the world was not, the world must have existed always, without a begin (and probably also without an end), I do not yet know as in what form the world has always existed.

How is it not conceivable that there was a time when the world did not exist? What attribute is displayed by the world that makes you think that it is eternal?

Since from point 2 I can only conclude my own consciousness to exist, and in first instance do not yet know wether or not there is a real world outside, independend and apart from my consciousness (I could reason that only my mental perceptions about a real world exist, but not the real world itself), I can make two alternative hypothesis:

[1] The world has always existed in the form of my consciousness
[2] The world has always existed in a form which is apart from, outside and independend of my consciousness

That's fine and dandy, but where in the seven hells do you derive the notion of "always" existence? You are a finite being with a finite existence, finite thoughts, and finite experience. How in the blue blazes can you possibly make claims about the infinite existence of anything? You certainly have no ability to prove an infinity. As a finite being, you have no experiential knowledge upon which to make any claims about infinities. In fact, you cannot even conceive of an infinite/eternal existence. It is a completely imaginary concept that has no basis in reality. There are no infinities in the physical world, and even if there were, a finite being could never prove they exist!

Therefore I have to assume that the world has always existed in a form which is apart from, outside and independend from my consciousness.

That is a totally flawed assumption because as a finite being with a finite consciousness, you have no basis for even conceptualizing an infinitely existing world. Everything you have ever observed has been finite. You have never observed the eternal existence of anything, therefore, you have no frame of reference for even identifying what an eternal existence would be, or what it would be like. So your assumption that the universe has an "eternal" existence is totally baseless.

You quoted Craig:
"The problem with saying that the Big Bang is an event without a cause is that it entails that the universe came into being uncaused out of nothing, which seems metaphysically absurd. Philosopher of science Bernulf Kanitscheider remonstrates, "If taken seriously, the initial singularity is in head-on collision with the most successful ontological commitment that was a guiding line of research since Epicurus and Lucretius," namely, out of nothing nothing comes, which Kanitscheider calls "a metaphysical hypothesis which has proved so fruitful in every corner of science that we are surely well-advised to try as hard as we can to eschew processes of absolute origin."{56} But if the universe began to exist, we are therefore driven to the second alternative: a supernatural agency beyond space and time."

So far not any physical or cosmological theory has come up that in fact DID say that there was a begin of time. Even the thesis of Stephen Hawking HAS to assume at some point that time (wether it "real" time or "imaginary" time) has no begin.
And how could time have a begin?

I can see your knowledge on this subject is somewhat limited. Time is an extension of space and matter. Time only exists as long as matter exists. Matter has not existed forever, as evidenced by the law of entropy and the discoveries of COBE and SWAP. Most cosmologists believe the universe is a closed system, and for good reason.

1. The lack of very old galaxies near our galaxy negates an infinite age for the universe, while the lack of very young galaxies near our galaxy negates continual creation.

2. The paucity of galaxies and quasars beyond a certain boundary implies that we are NOT living in an infinite universe.

3. The enormous entropy, and the continual heat-loss of the universe makes no sense if the universe is an eternal, open system.

4. An open system means a system that is open to some external source of energy. However, the universe is all energy that exists and we have never observed an external source of energy outside the universe. (i.e., another universe outside of our own)

So if you want to claim the universe is an open system, you have to resolve all of these problems I presented above, and you also carry the burden of proving the existence of some other universe or source of energy that is OUTSIDE of the our universe. In other words - if you claim our universe is an open system, you must prove what external source of energy the universe is open TO.

The way we witness the world to be, some fundamental principles are tested over and over again. Our laws of causality just descibe that and reflect that. It is of course a peculiar thing to ask a question like "where did causality come from". Since the nature of the question makes it clear that no real answer can be given. Outside of causality, there is no causality, so no "causes" for causality can be given.

Regarding causality, logic and reasoning are formulated based on our knowledge, which is derived from observation. Here is the theist Argument from Causality for a caused universe:

In terms of our observation:

1) All or nearly all observed physical events have a cause.
2) The origin of the universe is a physical event.
3) Therefore, the origin of the universe *most likely* have a cause.

In other words, my assumption that the universe had a cause is unanimously supported by the terms of our experience, and is therefore the most logical/probable assumption. Since the terms of our experience DO NOT show that most physical events are *uncaused*, your assumption that the origin of the universe was uncaused is drastically less logical and less probable than mine, based on the evidence.

Despite this: the world was always existing, changing, developing and in motion. There was never a time in which the world was not, and time did not have a beginning, neither does causality.

But if there is a point in the past beyond which we can say nothing meaningful about the state of the world, then you saying that the world "existed" at the point in time would be meaningless as well. After all, if you cannot see beyond that point in the past, then you have no basis for saying the world was there! If you can't see the world was there, you cannot CLAIM the world was there! Well, you can claim whatever you want........but your claims would be meaningless.

Blessings,
Scrim

Last edited:

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Re: Re: The Ultimate Question of Origins: God and the beginning of the universe

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
The terminal problem with your argument is you state that theists believe God exists in the physical state of the world. That is false. Theists claim that God exists OUTSIDE of the physical state of the universe.
Theists might want to look into this statement -- and revise it to say that the universe exists INSIDE of God. The logical conclusion to God's omni-qualities is that nothing can exist apart from God. Of course, pantheists already affirm this idea - and are on more solid ground because of it.

The problem with the personfication of this "dimension" of reality still persists, however. And, what evidence do we have that there is anything outside of the universe? Then again, if we did find evidence of something outside of the universe, we would just expand the universe to include what we had found. So, yeah, the universe is everything. The universe is God. God is the universe.

The part about the "PHYSICAL universe" is only a problem with our conceptualization of the universe. Our understanding of our "PHYSICAL universe" has gone from thinking everything was made of 4 primary substances, to the hypothesis that everything was made of atoms, to finally discovering the "real atom", to then discovering sub-atomic particles, to now discovering quantum principles which blurs the line between particles and waves, to string theory which says smaller-dimensional "strings" are what we perceive as being 3(4)-dimensional particles. We are slowly coming to understand that "PHYSICAL" is just a conceptualization -- a subjective & relative point of view -- of the universe.

--ZK

heusdens

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
heusden,

You quoted Craig:
"From the webpage: Creation and Big Bang Cosmology (see above) the following text fragment: "But why think that such a cause exists at all? Very simply, the causal inference is based in the metaphysical intuition that something cannot come out of absolutely nothing. A pure potentiality cannot actualize itself. In the case of the universe (including any boundary points), there was not anything physically prior to the initial singularity.{4} The potentiality for the existence of the universe could not therefore have lain in itself, since it did not exist prior to the singularity. On the theistic hypothesis, the potentiality of the universe's existence lay in the power of God to create it. On the atheistic hypothesis, there did not even exist the potentiality for the existence of the universe. But then it seems inconceivable that the universe should become actual if there did not exist any potentiality for its existence. It seems to me therefore that a little reflection leads us to the conclusion that the origin of the universe had a cause."

That is incorrect. The scenario being described is specifically, and exclusively referring to the state of a *PHYSICAL* nothingness. That should be obvious since the discussion is regarding the origin of the PHYSICAL dimension. God could exist in a separate, non-physical dimension. No one has claimed that God existed WITHIN the *physical* state of nothingness.

Regarding this:
1. I do not, never did I state, that God exists in any physical dimension at all, neither that God is physical or material AT ALL.

2. God, as it is most commonly denoted, and also defined withing the context of the discussion/battle about the existence of God, must be seen as something spiritual or consciouss, that does not require anything material to exist. (which as I have show, is something of an absurd thing)

3. The "state of nothingness" is the state of absence of anything that either does or can exist. So whatever can be the case for God, the state of nothingness can not include God. Therefore "God" can not transfer this state of nothingness into somethingness. Impossible.

So: wether or not it is claimed that God exists as a physical entity is rather irrelevant. It is simply stated that God does not exist, neither anything else, in the state of "nothingness". Hence "God" could not create anything, and hence this mythological notion does not denote any possible explenation for the fact that a world does exist.

Like I explained in the thread The Fundamental Question this leads us to conclude that the world in total in material form, must have been existing for all time, without begin or end.

I advise you to read this thread carefull and examine the stepwise argumentation which takes me to that conclusion.

Further I could suggest you to read my argument of the impossibility of a begin of time

That is correct. Theists generally do not claim that God existed within the physical state of nothingness.

I do not nor have denied that, which therefore means: we speak on the same terms.

YES, God did not exist as a PHYSICAL THING. "Nothing" means - NO-PHYSICAL-THING. God is not defined as a physical thing, so yes, he would not have existed in the physical dimension.

Nothing means the absence of any something, of anything that exists or can exist. I did not refer in any way , nor assumed anything that does exist, I just stated that whatever that is or can exists, is not existent in this theoretical concept of a total nothingness.

Does God exist or does God not exist. It does not matter to the argument. In the state which I described as a total nothingness, God does not exist. From a total nothingness, it is inconceivable that anything can occur. It denotes a state of inexistence. It can therefore not 'cause' existence.
We witness an existing world now. Hence it follows that this world must have always existed, since it exists in a spatiotemporal way. Existence out of time as well as existence out of space are simply absurd notions, and don't denote anything real.

Answer: I did not state that. Perhaps see my lengthy contribution in respond to Bob' last post that adresses this issue. ('Creation of the physical universe').

I asked Mr Bob Enyart to please at least define what he defines as existence, and asked him if he could define if God exists in waty that is OUTSIDE, INDEPENDEND AND APART from our consciousness. He refutes to answer that question, cause the truth is that GOD DOES NOT EXIST IN ANY OBJECTIVE FORM.
This leaves the existence domain for God to the domain of subjective entities.
And I proved in my argument that WITHOUT THERE BEING AN OBJECTIVE REALITY there can not exist any subjective entities.
That is why God as a concept of the mind, is not referring to any real concept outside, independend and apart from the mind itself.

But I adequately dealt with all this in my post in the Battle specific discussion thread. Please look there.

Yes it would, and that is why theists have done no such thing. In order for you argument to work, you'd have to find an example of theists who claim God's existence is held WITHIN the physical dimension of the universe.

I never claimed this.

That argument is non-sequitur. #3 does not logically follow from #2. The fact that the world exists does not prove it must have ALWAYS existed. The world could have begun to exist at a finite point in the past, and you are simply observing it in it's current state of existence. More on this below.......

Do you agree with the following arguments?

• [1] A state of nothingness does not and can never become something. It can not denote therefore any physical / material possible state of the world.
    [2] The world as it exists now exists in a spatia-temporal and causal way. It can not exist outside of that. Events we denote as effects exist, because the causes for these events which are also events, exist. Hence no 'first" cause or effect (which is the same) can exist.
    [3] Time itself does not have a beginning. Time is something different and independend from change, since we measure tim with change. The notion of a 'begin of time' therefore just denotes the impossible transition from the absence of motion (and matter) to a material world in motion.

How is it not conceivable that there was a time when the world did not exist? What attribute is displayed by the world that makes you think that it is eternal?

The arguments I already provided above.

That's fine and dandy, but where in the seven hells do you derive the notion of "always" existence? You are a finite being with a finite existence, finite thoughts, and finite experience. How in the blue blazes can you possibly make claims about the infinite existence of anything? You certainly have no ability to prove an infinity. As a finite being, you have no experiential knowledge upon which to make any claims about infinities. In fact, you cannot even conceive of an infinite/eternal existence. It is a completely imaginary concept that has no basis in reality. There are no infinities in the physical world, and even if there were, a finite being could never prove they exist!

I assume the above is just your assumption, and perhaps you are totally unfamiliar with the idea, given your way of reasoning against it. You make it sound like 'eternity' is something totallally inconceivable. This is however not the case.

However it follows from a few basic principles we find in our world, which makes this conclusion quite evidential.

They are the following principles of nature, which I listed above.

That is a totally flawed assumption because as a finite being with a finite consciousness, you have no basis for even conceptualizing an infinitely existing world. Everything you have ever observed has been finite. You have never observed the eternal existence of anything, therefore, you have no frame of reference for even identifying what an eternal existence would be, or what it would be like. So your assumption that the universe has an "eternal" existence is totally baseless.

Yes, we do have that. Since we already have the concept of indestructablity and uncreatability of matter, the notion that matter and motion are inseperatable, the notion of causality and the inconceivabilty of a something from nothing.

It therefore means that there is no begin to existence, to matter and motion and time itself.

You quoted Craig:
"The problem with saying that the Big Bang is an event without a cause is that it entails that the universe came into being uncaused out of nothing, which seems metaphysically absurd. Philosopher of science Bernulf Kanitscheider remonstrates, "If taken seriously, the initial singularity is in head-on collision with the most successful ontological commitment that was a guiding line of research since Epicurus and Lucretius," namely, out of nothing nothing comes, which Kanitscheider calls "a metaphysical hypothesis which has proved so fruitful in every corner of science that we are surely well-advised to try as hard as we can to eschew processes of absolute origin."{56} But if the universe began to exist, we are therefore driven to the second alternative: a supernatural agency beyond space and time."

I can see your knowledge on this subject is somewhat limited. Time is an extension of space and matter. Time only exists as long as matter exists. Matter has not existed forever, as evidenced by the law of entropy and the discoveries of COBE and SWAP. Most cosmologists believe the universe is a closed system, and for good reason.

I can see that your notion on this subject is purely speculative, and that you have not developed the right notions of what matter is,
You should distinguish between:
- matter (which is all that that exists primarily and independend of something else, and forms the objective world, independend, outside and apart from our consciousness)
- existence forms of matter (like particles, energy, fields, and also atoms, molecules, stars, planets, radiation, cars, birds, humans, etc)

So your notion as "matter has not existed always" is therefore wrong, since matter itself is indestructable. The correct notion that existence forms of matter, without exception, exist only as FINITE spatiotemporal objects.
So, this just means that the CURRENT existence forms of matter, may not have existed forever. However, they must have derived from PREVIOUS existence forms of matter.

]1. The lack of very old galaxies near our galaxy negates an infinite age for the universe, while the lack of very young galaxies near our galaxy negates continual creation.

Since this can be denoted as a FINITE spatio temporal existence form of matter, it is conceivable and not in any way in contrast with what I say.

But the problem here is that you denote the term universe to denote something different as what we ordinary define it.

See my note on this issue of terminology.

2. The paucity of galaxies and quasars beyond a certain boundary implies that we are NOT living in an infinite universe.

I can accept that WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM, without having to refute the basic notion of matter, that matter itself is indestructable and infinite.

But same as above, the problem in this is the use of terminology, regarding the term 'universe'.

See my notes on that.

3. The enormous entropy, and the continual heat-loss of the universe makes no sense if the universe is an eternal, open system.

Neither makes that sense as it was a closed system.

But I discussed this in lenght in this post. See below.

4. An open system means a system that is open to some external source of energy. However, the universe is all energy that exists and we have never observed an external source of energy outside the universe. (i.e., another universe outside of our own)

Let us be exact and precise about what we DEFINE as the universe.
It is theoretically defined as everything that exist.
However, in our common daily notions, since we do not have an a priori and instantanious notion of all the possible existence forms of all matter in all time and all space, the notion of the universe is often interpreted as:
- the observable universe
- the extand of the observable universe that is within and outside observational horizon, which is a specific material formation (galaxies, stars) that originated at the event we call the Big Bang.

Notes:

1. The term open or closed, I assume you refer to the terms as they have been defined for thermodynamical systems. In fact there are three terms used, which are isolated, closed and open.
Isolated means no thermal interaction and no matter or energy flowing in or out. Closed means no matter or energy flowing in or out and only minimal thermal interaction. Open means that both matter and energy can flow in and out of the system.
For simplicity I will not make this distinction in the following, and define the term closed as total isolation from outside.

2. Further note that the notions of thermodynamic systems as being open or closed, are used for finite systems that are part of the whole. Closed then means: having no thermal interaction with the rest of the universe, neither flow of matter or energy.
Open means: having thermal interaction with the rest of the universe and flow of energy and/or matter.

3. And lastly note that when defining these terms, they do not just apply for the second law of thermodynamics, but also the the first law of thermodynamics. We can not state that the universe is closed in respect of the second law, while it is open in respect of the first law, and vice versa.

Some arguments (by creationists or theists) go like this, and run into deep contradiction.

First it is considered in respect to the Second law of Thermodynamics, that the universe is a CLOSED system. This then means that at the basis of the Second law of Thermodynamics, that the amount of usueable energy runs down. It is argued then on the basis of this that if the universe is infinitely old, all usueable sources of energy would have already been used up. However: I look out of my window, and I see the sun is still shining. But that would be impossible, unless somewhere we made a mistake in our argument.
It then is assumed that the universe must have had a begin, and the contradiction is resolved. However, the universe is not less a closed system in respect to the Second law of Thermodynamics as it is a closed system in respect to the First law of Thermodynamics. Which states that the amount of total energy and mass in a CLOSED system is constant at all time. Another contradiction!
Whatever we do to resolve the contradiction, new and more profound contradictions arise.
Therefore we must reconsider our first notion, about the universe being a closed system, which is the cause of this error. But neither and for even more obvious reasons we can call the universe an OPEN system.

The only possible way out of this is to reconsider our concept of Thermodynamics in the context of an infinite system.
The laws of Thermodynamics are not stated on the basis of infinite systems, but only on the basis of finite systems.

Our conclusion must therefore be that the amount of usueable energy in the universe must also be conserved.

Stated more briefly: you can not simply use the notion of what happens to the amount of usueable energy in a closed and finite thermodynamic system and apply that to the universe as a whole, since it is an infinite system.

It does not work that way. As soon as you try to do that, you will run into deep contradictions. Then, you either have to assume that the world itself is impossible, or (more probable) that your notion of the world is impossible.

You realy should read some philosophical stuff on dialectics to get some more understanding in this.

So if you want to claim the universe is an open system, you have to resolve all of these problems I presented above, and you also carry the burden of proving the existence of some other universe or source of energy that is OUTSIDE of the our universe. In other words - if you claim our universe is an open system, you must prove what external source of energy the universe is open TO.

See the discussion regarding open/close in respect to the universe above.

Regarding causality, logic and reasoning are formulated based on our knowledge, which is derived from observation. Here is the theist Argument from Causality for a caused universe:

In terms of our observation:

1) All or nearly all observed physical events have a cause.
2) The origin of the universe is a physical event.
3) Therefore, the origin of the universe *most likely* have a cause.

Yes. And this kind of 'logic' has a serious error. Can you see it?

Let us try your 'logic' on another example.

1) A football team has individual members
2) All members of the football team have parents
3) Therefore, the football team must have a parent

As you can figure out, this is not necessarily the case.

The error becomes even more visible when we use it like this:

1) All things that exist must have a cause
2) Causality exists
3) Causality therefore must have a cause.

Your error is that you use the term 'universe' in different ways.
The universe as the totality of the material reality throughout all space and all time (as it is commonly defined) is not an event.

[Same as the set of integers is not an integer itself; you can add 1 to all integers and the result is an integer, but you can not add 1 to the set of all integers]

If you would state that before the Big Bang event occured, there was an existing material world (but probably in a far different material form) that caused this Big Bang event, then we speak on the same terms, and I can agree on your notion.

However, whatever there was that existed in this state prior to the Big Bang, it still was part of the universe (in the sense that the universe is everything that exists).

We have regarding this issue a more general problem of definition, which is in this case the only cause for a dispute, which occurs on the basis of ill-use of the term 'universe'.

I think we should at least distinguish three different concepts of 'universe'.
1. Everything material that exists at all time in all of space, the totallity of (material) existence.
2. The observable universe, in the form that is visible to us since the Big Bang (the observable part of the 'spacetime' bubble that formed as the consequence or effect of the Big Bang)
2. All of the universe (extended to all of space) in the form that exists since the Big Bang (the 'spacetime' bubble that formed as the consequence or effect of the Big Bang)

In other words, my assumption that the universe had a cause is unanimously supported by the terms of our experience, and is therefore the most logical/probable assumption. Since the terms of our experience DO NOT show that most physical events are *uncaused*, your assumption that the origin of the universe was uncaused is drastically less logical and less probable than mine, based on the evidence.

You are arguing here realy baseless, since there is no 'begin' neither an 'origin' to the universe. The universe, in the sense of everything that exists, is not an 'event' and does not have a cause (neither as causality as a cause since outside of causality there are no causes).

Further: causes only exist in the context of causality, and causality only exist in the contect of a material world that is in motion / change. Outside of causality, we can not even speak about causes, so your whole argument is an absurd and baseless statement.

My statement makes sense since it is just stating that the material world exists in a causal way, and that there is no 'begin' to causality itself, since such is in contradiction with causality itself.

Quite logic I would say.

But if there is a point in the past beyond which we can say nothing meaningful about the state of the world, then you saying that the world "existed" at the point in time would be meaningless as well. After all, if you cannot see beyond that point in the past, then you have no basis for saying the world was there! If you can't see the world was there, you cannot CLAIM the world was there! Well, you can claim whatever you want........but your claims would be meaningless.

Blessings,
Scrim

The reason why it is meaningfull to say that, is that it would be inconceivable and in contradiction with the known laws of the universe to state the opposite, and to assume that the world all of a sudden started 'out of nothing'.

There are more things which we can't see or directly observe, that we DO claim is there and KNOW is there.

For instance:
- In astronomy the existence of a extra-solar planet is stated not on the basis of observing that planet, but by observing the anomoly in the star itself, due to the gravitational influence of the planet.
- In geology and evolution, a wide range of phenomena are explained, which were not observed directly.
- etc.

The claim I made is based on the principles we see in effect in the world, that permit us to postulate that matter was there all the time, that is it infinite, indestruactable and uncreatable.

Now, how could it be proven that this claim is incorrect?
It could only be proven by evidence that one or more of the principles that lead to thisclaim, are incorrect.

There is as of yet no evidence for that.

And as a comment:

Really all of your (and others) ill-notions and ill use of definitions have to do with overpopularized explenations of physical laws and theory. I do not blame you for that, but most of your arguing is based on wrong use of terms.

What I could recommend you is to read some basic stuff on dialectical-materialism, that can probably explain in proper terms what matter is, and how we can conceive of matter.

Last edited:

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
heusden:

Thank you for defining clearly -- and not just using a short dictionary answer -- what you mean by "universe".

Here is what I see as a fundamental problem:

In order to understand the world and communicate in regards to that understanding, we must conceptualize reality. Conceptualization consists of simplifying reality. Where the world is a smooth progression of various colors and no borders, we must make the world black and white with distinct boundaries. Every word I use is an example of this.

I do not think we can know the TRUE nature of the reality. To know that would be to know everything at once. It is beyond comprehension. We can only know our conceptions. Conceptions are never reality -- only a model of reality. Arguing which conception of reality is "TRUE" is ridiculous. However, I think it may be very valid to argue which conception of reality is most useful. Obviously, then, useful is relative and subjective -- and hence we can clearly see that so is reality (as much as we can understand it, anyway).

--ZK

Last edited:

heusdens

Re: Re: Re: The Ultimate Question of Origins: God and the beginning of the universe

Re: Re: Re: The Ultimate Question of Origins: God and the beginning of the universe

Theists might want to look into this statement -- and revise it to say that the universe exists INSIDE of God. The logical conclusion to God's omni-qualities is that nothing can exist apart from God. Of course, pantheists already affirm this idea - and are on more solid ground because of it.

The problem with the personfication of this "dimension" of reality still persists, however. And, what evidence do we have that there is anything outside of the universe? Then again, if we did find evidence of something outside of the universe, we would just expand the universe to include what we had found. So, yeah, the universe is everything. The universe is God. God is the universe.

The universe is all that exists in an objective way. But God is a subjective being, and is not equal to "all there is", but is apart from that. God is defined as a conscious being, however that is an ill notion since the frame of reference of God is that there is no objective world.

Theism and Idealism put the world upside down in the sense that they prefer to say that consciousness or spirit is the primary substance of the world, and not matter, which in their minds is just a creation of consciousness. The only possible and realistic outlook on reality however is to state that in primary instance an objective material world has to exist which is independend of anything else, and therefore indestructable and uncreatable, and that consciousness is only a secondary phenomena of this objective world. Consciousness can not be defined, if there were no objective world.

The viewpoint of God is therefore that of a solipists and the only notion one can have of God itself, is by perceiving the world from the viewpoint of a solipsist. In that 'worldview' the only thing that exists, takes place in the mind itself. The objective world is denyed having any existence at all. Outside of one's mind, nothing exists.

heusdens

heusden:

Thank you for defining clearly -- and not just using a short dictionary answer -- what you mean by "universe".

Here is what I see as a fundamental problem:

In order to understand the world and communicate in regards to that understanding, we must conceptualize reality. Conceptualization consists of simplifying reality. Where the world is a smooth progression of various colors and no borders, we must make the world black and white with distinct boundaries. Every word I use is an example of this.

I do not think we can know the TRUE nature of the reality. To know that would be to know everything at once. It is beyond comprehension. We can only know our conceptions. Conceptions are never reality -- only a model of reality. Arguing which conception of reality is "TRUE" is ridiculous. However, I think it may be very valid to argue which conception of reality is most useful. Obviously, then, useful is relative and subjective -- and hence we can clearly see that so is reality (as much as we can understand it, anyway).

--ZK

Thanks for this, and you are right that we can never have a "finished" outlook on reality. Let us be pleased with that, reality can never get bored!!!

heusdens

Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by Turbo
So does Clinton. So do a lot of non-Christians, particularly those in government. Has it ever occured to you that Hitler might have been a liar? Jesus warned that there would be many who falsely call upon His name. He also said you will know them by their fruits.

Hitler's agenda was inline with Darwinian racism, and his actions cannot be condemned by that belief system. However, the Bible teaches that we are all of one blood, and clearly condemns those who kill the innocent.

You can state that, but I can state the opposite.

There is nothing that refers to evolution that would make a concept of "forced extinction" of a species a viable concept.
Species or variations of it go extinct by natural causes, because they are not adapted to the natural environment.

Further, it is the Biblical and theistic interpretation that there was a creation of 'static' species. The nazi's have used that concept, to distinguish between the 'better' and the 'worse' species (Uebermensch und Untermensch).

However, according to evolution theory any species is as developed and as adapted as any other species, there is no 'better' or 'worse' species.

According to evolution the human race (yes! blacks and whites can make babies as can any other humans!) is one species: the home sapiens, the human race.

The Bible gives raise to racial differences when black people are considered.

Secondly: you may call Hitler I liar (and he probably is), but subjective notions don't suffice here. Please have a look inside history itself, and see the role of Catholic institutions.
This record (the historic documentation of the Catholic church on this is however sealed as of yet) shows you that the Catholic church was in favour of what Hitler did, as well as leaders of major capitalistic industires who financed Hitler. The Catholics instituations partly collaborated with the nazi's. At least they did not prevent him from persecuting Jews!
What they however COULD or SHOULD have done is offering resistance against the criminal nazi persecutions and application of criminal laws against communists, socialists, jews and many others.
Not all christians or all catholics are to blame, but only a small portion of them realy showed resistance against the nazi's.

History shows that the main enemy of Hitler germany were the bolshewists and the Jews. If Hitler was the anti-Christ, then why wouldn't he have targeted against the Christians or Catholics as the main enemy? Despite that, he mainly targeted against the left-wing opposition of communists and socialists.
The communists offered in all countries resistance against the nazi's, which costed the lives of a great part of the members of the communist party, and the Red army lead by Stalin has defeated nazism when they took over Berlin.
It costed the Soviet-Union more then 20 million people what the nazi's did when they invaded the Soviet-Union.

The people in Europe thank their lives and their freedom to the brave resistance of communists as well as Stalin, who took the major offerings, and only secondary to the other allies (Britain, France, USA and Canada). The western front was not raised before the war was already consolidated when the nazi' were defeated in Stalingrad and were already loosing the war.

If the allied stated would have been a little more considerate, they could have prevented fascism from dominating Europe, which as we knew began when Franco seazed power in Spain with the help of Mussolini and Hitler. Stalin proposed an anti-fascist front against this to England and France and other nations, to block the emergence of fascism throughout Europe, but they simply refused, and let fascism take over power and dominate Europe.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Further, it is the Biblical and theistic interpretation that there was a creation of 'static' species.

Where did you hear this?

According to evolution the human race (yes! blacks and whites can make babies as can any other humans!) is one species: the home sapiens, the human race.

Of course. The Bible says we all come from Adam.

The Bible gives raise to racial differences when black people are considered.

What are you talking about?

heusdens

Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
Where did you hear this?

A story named 'Genesis'.

Christians state that each species was created seperately, and ihas unchanging properties. A horse is a horse and will never become something else.

It is this static vision that is the foundation for racial differences.

Evolution just states that all species are equally well adapted to their environment and does not make this distinction. Not between people and not between species.

Any species is as good as it can be, and if it was not good, then it would not have survived, but went extinct.
Evolutiuon however does not describe that one species causes the other species to go extinct, or that in any way humankind should "help" this process.

Of course. The Bible says we all come from Adam.

Is that so?

What are you talking about?

About the Bible.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

A story named 'Genesis'.

Christians state that each species was created seperately, and ihas unchanging properties.

What Christians say this?

Is that so?

Yes, it is. All people are descended from Noah, and before that, from Adam. Black people, white people, yellow people, red people, and any other people you can think of.

About the Bible.

You haven't answered my question. What does the Bible have to do with racial differences where black people are considered?

heusdens

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Hitler an atheist?

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
What Christians say this?

Those people that don't believe in evolution, which they obviously don't since they believe that God created all of the life forms in all of it's unique features as is stated in the Bible.

Am I now making a mistake to believe that Christians believe in what is stated in that book?

Yes, it is. All people are descended from Noah, and before that, from Adam. Black people, white people, yellow people, red people, and any other people you can think of.

That is very nice then.

However evolution states more and says that the ancestors of Adam were apes.

You haven't answered my question. What does the Bible have to do with racial differences where black people are considered?

I don't know where that is stated, since I don't have that book.

Chris Chrusher

This is a wholesale slaughter.

Zakath has strong resolve, but that determination is wasted in a dead belief. He cannot refute Bob;s points and attempts to add more complexity into the debate without answering the simplest of questions. Like all atheists, he wants to argue about the branches and leafs of the tree when he doesn't even have the foundation of the tree's ROOT established! How mindless!

As Pastor Enyart has pointed out several times... it seems as if seemingly all atheists are AFRAID of truth. They don't have a logical reason for disbelieving in a creator, they just simply DISBELIEVE! \

It comes more from a hatred of God rather than any proof against His existence.

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Chris Chrusher
You got us, Chrusher. We hate God. We also hate the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, Zeus, the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, and Hale-Bopp aliens (just to name a few).

--ZK

Last edited:

heusdens

Originally posted by Chris Chrusher
This is a wholesale slaughter.

Zakath has strong resolve, but that determination is wasted in a dead belief. He cannot refute Bob;s points and attempts to add more complexity into the debate without answering the simplest of questions. Like all atheists, he wants to argue about the branches and leafs of the tree when he doesn't even have the foundation of the tree's ROOT established! How mindless!

As Pastor Enyart has pointed out several times... it seems as if seemingly all atheists are AFRAID of truth. They don't have a logical reason for disbelieving in a creator, they just simply DISBELIEVE! \

Have you read my posts at all?

It's not me that denies truth, it is pastor Enyart that is affraid of telling me wether or not hid God is something outside, apart and independend of his mind.
He simply refutes to answer this. The truth might come out he can not realy proof that, and must confess, his God is nothing more as a concept of his mind.

I was discussing about the root, I don't care so much about the leafs.

The root of theism is the false belief that consciousness is primary to matter. Which is of course not the case, nor can't be.
Further, theism just concludes things from an axiomatic system that has God as the first premise. So, theist don't proof a thing, since that what they have to proof is already put there as the premise. This means another kind of dealing is nesssary.

I just showed that anything can be as well explained without that first axiom, and replace it with the axiom of there being an objective material world, which is indestructable and uncreatable.

The method by which I arrive at that conclusion is from veryfying the existence of the world itself. What comes out is that if the world would not exist, neither I would exist. Since I know I exist, I must therefore assume that the world exist in primary instance.

The only other sideway would be to adapt to the point of view of solipsism, which I know is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.