Aspiring theologian

credo

Hi. I'm an evangelical Christian studying to be a theologian. I like especially to study Church history and the writings of ancient authors (secular and Christian) such as Herodotus, Livy, Eusebius, Theophilus, Origen, Tertullian, Aquinas, and such like. My best language is Latin (after English, of course) though I also know some Greek, and hope to learn Hebrew some day. As an ideal, I tend to avoid modern commentaries and theology text-books and instead attempt to get as close to the source as possible by immersing myself in the writings and history of the people who lived during and near the times that the Scriptures were written.

I am not one who is inclined toward starting online debates or flame threads, but I do occasionally have questions about books or historical details or fine points of theology.

csuguy

Welcome :)

I'm on a similar path as you, as it were. I'm about 140 pages away from finishing the 6th volume of the AnteNicene Fathers Series (if you don't have it, get it!). Although you must be careful not to buy everything the Church Fathers say, for they contradict each other and even themselves from time to time and they bring some bad Greek Philosophy into their theologies at points. All in all though, I've highly enjoyed reading them and I have learned a lot as well as reinforced many of my suspicions (like the primacy of scripture in the Early Church).

I've had some Greek & Modern Hebrew Classes (I'm best w/ Greek), but no latin as of yet.

bybee

Hi. I'm an evangelical Christian studying to be a theologian. I like especially to study Church history and the writings of ancient authors (secular and Christian) such as Herodotus, Livy, Eusebius, Theophilus, Origen, Tertullian, Aquinas, and such like. My best language is Latin (after English, of course) though I also know some Greek, and hope to learn Hebrew some day. As an ideal, I tend to avoid modern commentaries and theology text-books and instead attempt to get as close to the source as possible by immersing myself in the writings and history of the people who lived during and near the times that the Scriptures were written.

I am not one who is inclined toward starting online debates or flame threads, but I do occasionally have questions about books or historical details or fine points of theology.

We have two excellent posters in that department (along with many others) who would certainly be helpful to you, one is "Selaphiel" and the other is "Traditio". Welcome.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Hi welcome :) the devil is most active when God is most active, he fights with all his might [if not omnipotent then surely considerable] against the truth therefore be sure he was most active in trying to subvert the truth of the gospel in the earliest years of the church. That is where most false doctrines are to be found, not in the apostolic church but in the immediate post apostolic church.

All the apostles warned it would be so and indeed that it was beginning in their very life time. In short apart from the apostles, earliest is definitely not the best in the matter of doctrines.

Last edited:

Krsto

Hi welcome :) the devil is most active when God is most active, he fights with all his might [if not onipotent then surely considerable] against the truth therefore be sure he was most active in trying to subvert the truth of the gospel in the earliest years of the church. That is where most false doctrines are to be found, not in the apostolic church but in the immediate post apostolic church.

All the apostles warned it would be so and indeed that it was beginning in their very life time. In short apart from the apostles, earliest is definitely not the best in the matter of doctrines.

Indeed. I find Ignatius and Clement to be particularly pernicious, not that they didn't mean well, I think they had the church's best interest at heart, but the way that was manifest in their minds was to get people to submit totally to authority. That was the beginning of the formation of a heirarchical governmental system from which flowed all manner of herecies that were difficult to rectify - including trinitarianism.

The Berean

I know what the word "theologian" means. But what does a theologian actually do? Just curious to see other' perspective on this.